Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: NEW YEARS CAFE 2010

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 125, Views: 466
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #7402644

Shhhh..

No ones s'posed to be here until 12/31,
but go ahead and put your goodies on the tables and lets get decorating!

Its almooooost here!!!

TADA!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #7402932

Plunk...!

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #7403238

This is some of my evergreen trees I grow at my house and used to decorate with.

Thumbnail by mekos

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #7403815

Very lovely! Glad you could join us mekos!

Haighr and a few regulars should be here anytime! Right now Im cleaning up the place after the Christmas bash. Or is that the Halloween party? LOL! I still have pumpkins laying around here! The Holidays do seem to run together!

I usually will leave the Christmas tree up until New years day or a few days after and then take all the Christmas decor and store it then.

This year I did not go all out. Only had a very few decorations up.

Right now the weather is snow on the ground and suposed to get below zero ... minus 6 is what they are talking...

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2009
6:37 AM

Post #7406052

I thought I would sneak in and get the champagne tower set up and put the bubbly on ice.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2009
6:38 AM

Post #7406057

So here it is... all ready for the big party.

Thumbnail by Zanymuse

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #7406704

Dont forget the stuff for us designated drivers..
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #7408223

Now don't you worry about the driving BB, I got this one covered! This will be our mode of transport all evening, think I'll head off and pick up a few folks and get them in here!

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #7408233

Now about the dress for the occasion, glitter or formal? I thought I could wear this again since I had it out for the trip. Now believe it or not this dress and the shoes are 30, yes 30 years old!!! I got so many compliments and one person even asked if it was a Versachi lol!
I guess it matches well with our buggy for the evening.
Now there Zany, hope I don't step in anything lol!!!

This message was edited Dec 29, 2009 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by haighr

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #7408604

what a lovely portrait - still perfect after 30 years. I have a few pieces of clothing that old too...but my shoes have kind of fallen apart.
I vote for either glitter or formal - I love dressy occasions.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2009
5:15 AM

Post #7408902

Hmmm, do you think I can add a nice glittery pin and earrings to my flannel nightgown for the occasion? I have some lovely wool trimmed slippers I can add some clip on shoe jewelry to to complete the ensemble. No one would mistake it for Versachi but it would be a truly original outfit. . . No? Then I'll vote for glitz, glamour and shine.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2009
6:20 AM

Post #7408991

Hi Zany!!! Can't wait to see what you are going to whip up to wear to the festivities...
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 30, 2009
8:10 AM

Post #7409048

Haighr - lovely pic, so elegant...
you would look great in that carriage.
I have a dalmatian that could run along & be a coach dog.
We could leave our hand bags under his watchful eye.
As long as there is nothing edible in them.
He would burgle that in a flash.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #7409635

Zany, you been fixin up that same flannel gown for years, isn't it time you went shoppin lol! Now go find yourself one of them there silky thangs, perhaps BB has one you could borrow and get out that boa (no not BB's snake) and then the glitz and glitter and you will be the cat's meow!
Thanks for the compliments, those are the same shoes as well, just been in a box in a suitcase for all these years, they actually have a little bit of the same dangly bead thangs on the shoe as on the shoulders of that dress.
Now dalfyre your pup would be a great watchdog for our evening out, I dont carry a bag so no worry from my end, but better warn BB and Zany cause they always got some sweet treats or taters and steak around!
Hope elle and the others get in here soon, do you think Steven is out getting a tux?
Hope Terri can find her way back here, she surely needs some cheering up and I think we can provide her with that if she would just drop by! Think I shall send the carriage by her london flat!
Now to go and find that better half of mine and see if he is getting dolled up yet!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

December 30, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7409693

hi
elle here
i do not have any thing yet
we got some white snow here
it nice if you dop not got to go out in it
elle
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #7414001

Hi there elle, we got plenty of white here. Had 22" when we left for the holiday and got another 4" or so last night and this morn.
Hey I found my date for the evening! Isn't he divine?

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #7414090

Oops what was I thinking, I sent the buggy for Terri and she is across the big pond. Guess I better get a boat!

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #7414105

Here is my New Year poem for everyone. I wish the same this year for all my friends as I wished for last!

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #7414113

Hey BB, I found your boa in the attic! Or was that Zany's???????? At any rate I figure it would look great on either of you. Hey elle, what do you plan on wearing to the celebration? Not that crazy zany zebra bra I hope lol!

This message was edited Dec 31, 2009 5:07 PM

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #7414121

Better get the signs up as well cause it is going to be a longggggggg night and I know how I can get crazy.

Thumbnail by haighr

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #7414228

What a lovely couple. And I love that New Year's poem. Got to go find my dancing shoes now.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #7414246

I'll help you look Dianne and thanks for the compliment, we do clean up pretty good lol!
Are you planning on dancin you way into the new year?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #7414454

Anybody home tonight. We just finished oysters rockefeller, not bad for homemade in cupcake papers. Now going for the pizza. Slight freezing rain outside so nice to be in by the fire.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #7414767

Are these the shoes you are looking for?

Thumbnail by haighr

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
1:07 AM

Post #7414801

Shoes? SHoes? I forgot my shoes!

And Zany, un-hand that red boa, thats mine!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
1:10 AM

Post #7414817

And driver, um, careful whar you park that hoss...you really must watch out for those signs!

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7415635

Blossom, you keep that boa, it will look great on you. I just couldn't find a thing to wear to this party so Barbie doll loaned me a complete outfit and even let me borrow her body for the night! Isn't photoshop a wonderful thing?

The fireworks started with the mill whistle blasting 10 minutes ago and are still crackling outside. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thumbnail by Zanymuse

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7416060

ZZZZZZZZZ...
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7416662

Oh Zany you were gorgeous! Steve and I rang in the New Year - gunshots across the field and then to bed around 1am. Tasha, Mike and Aby coming today and will fix some shrimp toast and crab legs. Even made a peach pie for the occasion.
Hope you all had a great blast last night and warm quiet day today,
Candee
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7416695

ZZZzzzz. grrgle...Zzzzzz snrrr!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7417357

What did you do BB - dance the entire night away?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
9:36 PM

Post #7417484

Nope, We slept the entire night away! Started the new year same way we been doing it now for 20 years!! Nice and quiet, just how we like it!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
10:55 PM

Post #7417682

Happy New Year, everyone.

Zany - you look divine in that dress.

Candee and BB - those are indeed nifty shoes that you have, but these were the ones that I was actually looking for. Did not wear those shoes, but i did manage to dance in the new year. With the promise of English crepes and waffles for breakfast for anyone who was still dancing when the sun came up, it was hard to resist. My son actually got out of bed before I did today Lol.

Did you make enough shrimp toast and crab legs for the cafe crowd??? And a couple of extra peach pie? They sound delicious!

This message was edited Jan 5, 2010 12:48 PM
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7419848

There is still plenty of shrimp toast, Steve out to the bakery getting more french bread this morning. We stayed up past midnight and watched our favorite marathon of the Twilight Zone. I met Rod Serling when I was little girl as he had a summer cottage next to my uncles on Cayuga Lake (hence the Cayuga Productions of the tv series). My uncle used to chaffeur him to and from the airport when he came to Ithaca/Interlaken NY. I actually took a photo of his underwear on the clothesline when I was about 10!
Tasha and family came yesterday so been playin with our little Abygail since their arrival. They went off visiting a friend this morn so thought I'd jump in and say hi.
Dianne, dancin for waffles sounds like a great tradition to keep up with! Nice that you got to sleep in as well. How was the band?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7420470

OMG! You did that to his what!? LOL! You better put that shot up on eBay! That and that MJ out fit you told me about! You'll make millions!

More shrimp here please!

Oh and haighr, please please stay off the 2010 pepper thread. You will lose every bit of what little sanity you may have!

Right now 6'2" and I are enjoying another nice and quiet day. Just the three of us snuggling cozy while we wait for his meatloaf to get done.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7422215

Forgot to post the shoes...

No band - just DJ music via the computer. The thing I like about Argentine tango is that you can dance that to all kinds of music - traditional tango music, hip hop, rock, pop, and there was even one selection from the opera 'La Bohemne"(?)

I really liked the Twilight Zone series - scary without the gore and blood.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7423740

Now those are some fancy dancin shoes Dianne. Would love to see you doing the Argentine tango, bet you are the tango fandango.
Yes BB, you are right about the photo and the MJ swimsuit. I have a write up for the swim suit but will wait to post until spring, please remind me, I'll be sure to post a link when I do so you can follow the fun or BID perhaps, bet you would look pretty fancy in it!
Tasha and family left this morn so been putting the few decorations away and watching even more football. Actually took the time to defrag the computer, should be a weekly thang, but turned into a yearly lol!
Ug, back to work tomorrow, am dreading that drive and it is just 15 degrees here, ouch!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
2:50 AM

Post #7425102

Oh no nono no.. no MJ for me please! Now that guy is (er make that
was and still is) scarier than the Twilight Zone. Old Rod was really cool! I remember watching him in B&W! GGGAWD! Now thats putting some years on! HeQQ, even Alfred Hitchcock was a hoot! But MJ, OH NO.. hes to frightening for me!

Good ole AL and the flick, the BIRDS! I laughed so hard with that.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7425294

I remember the Birds - that was a neat movie. And, one of the neatest Halloween costumes I have seen was a takeoff on that movie - in costume with black birds attached all over. I am not looking forward to work tomorrow either. But. on Jan. 13th, I will be flying out to Maui for a week for my cousin's wedding. So, I am thinking warm weather awaits me to get me through the next 10 days.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7425532

Awww can I come! I like Maui! It was one of my fav islands when I was there! We had a motel on the shore and there were um not sure but either sharks or dolphins swimming there! Probably both, but it was one of those days they said dont go in the water.. so we dint! Got the nastiest sunburn ever. The sun is beastly and I actually got sunpoisoning and it was cloudy every day for the week we were there in April!

Careful in it my friend! And have lots of fun!

So ok, no tango, its the hula for you! You must bring soveniers back to the cafe ya hear!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #7429854

Ohhhhhh, I wanna go, I wanna go, can you hear me whining??????? Been to Maui and sure could go back now and soak up some warmth!
Oh and yes souveniers - let's see what shall be ask for. Some nice warm lava rock, oh no don't want a spell on you. How bout some Silver Sword cactus from Haleakala or is that a no, no as well. Okay how bout you bring me some sunshine and a temp that is just above freezing, would like that about now!
Have a great visit, we'll be waiting for your return.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7429918

I made it to about 10:30 then it was ZZZzzzzz...snark...Zzzzzz and that was just the dogs...LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
1:43 PM

Post #7429982

Them Hawiaans are funny about spells! THOU SHANT NOT TAKE THE LAVA ROCK!!! Im still wondering what the maid thought when we left it back in our motel room! LOL! But I think we can all wish for pineapples!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #7433930

lol, you actually picked up the lava rock and left it in the room? Now that is funny. I am not superstitious, but I never moved a piece of it!
Just got a dmail from a gentleman who was looking at this thread and said that my Steve is a "dead ringer" for his Brother in Law. He doesn't have a scanner to post a copy of a photo but said the resemblance is uncanny. Would love to see it so hope he can borrow a camera and post a photo. I invited him to hang out at the cafe if he gets a chance so perhaps we shall have a visitor!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7434075

Well we were kids back then! Whaddaya expect! But I sure could see the expression on the maid going WTH! LOL! We did not find out until after our "crime"!

Speaking of visitors, oh terri, where are you? YOU ARE MISSED HERE!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2010
3:22 AM

Post #7436868

Well.. guess shes not in...hiaghr, all we can do is keep trying to ring her...

Well kick that juke in gear and lets PUT ANOTHER LOG ON THE FIRE!

NEWS BREAK!
Wed's Low Temperature: 22 BELOW ZERO at Crane Lake Mn And International Falls Mn

Meanwhile back at Blossoms ranch.. the prospect of getting 10 inches of snow seems trivial!

Zzzzzzzzzzz...
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #7437571

Well while you are gettin your Zzzzzzzzzzz BB, I will be trecking to work over the mts. in the snow tomorrow morn, less it is so much that Steve convinces me not to risk going, which doesn't take much coaxing lol!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7438071

I sleep every 4 hours...! LOL! Eye eye open sometimes! So half of me is always rested! Thas the joys of being your own dawg!

Oh boy oh boy, I get to plow SNOOOOOOOOW!

Someone better have my hotchocky when I get back.

Ye-haaaah! Break out the Zambeeny!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2010
1:17 AM

Post #7447225

How did Mother nature know to shake things off the shelf just as I put the broom and dustpan away? I had finished up cleaning the kitchen and was getting ready to take a break when we had a 6.5 quake and Ma Nature knocked a planter to the floor. Drat! More sweeping! Oh well, I didn't like that ugly pot anyway and the plant was in need of a good trim.

Dogs were barking all up and down the street and what did mine do? She lay there til it was over and then got up, stretched and wandered over to sniff me as if it was something I had done! I guess she thinks I am all powerful but her expression was more like 'is that all ya got?'

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2010
2:28 AM

Post #7447415

Zany thats funny! I mean not the earthquake but the dogs there and their reaction.

My pooches all have tried to try to crawl under things and hide in the deepest "den" they can find in the furniture in the house! When things get shakey. Its not as often as you, but occassionally we do have little tremors. Im east of the New Madrid fault. And mine have even reacted to quakes further out.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2010
3:15 AM

Post #7447541

I just heard on the news that this one was actually felt over 400 miles away and that those in this area " are feeling anxious and nervous" Funny thing is most of us had pretty much forgotten it by the time the news came on but the damage in Ferndale was a bit worse with more glass breakage and small area power outages. Overall it was not that big a deal for us even this close to the epicenter. But then I may be a bit blase' after going through the Loma Prieta quake in 89 where the "small" aftershocks were as strong and stronger than this one. We were in San Jose for that one and it is the only quake that ever made me nervous...I still managed to sing
" I feel the earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down
tumbling down, tumbling down..." but I was under my desk for it!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2010
1:43 PM

Post #7448215

Well, least you can keep a humor on it!

Its cold here today.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2010
9:52 PM

Post #7449565

Glad all is well now Zany. We were sitting on a beach in Acapulco one year and the ground began to shake and what I remember best is all the birds inside the hotel, macaws and such just started screaming and all of those birds outside took to the skies. I guess you get used to it, but not sure I would. Sorry it happened just as you finished your chores and made you more mess!
Cold here as well BB and am getting tired of it already!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2010
10:03 PM

Post #7449598

Well maybe next week we will have the traditional January thaw!?!

Im hoping spring arrives on Ground hog day if not sooner! As much as I get my jollies in the winter, I am getting tired of it too. Im ready to start sowing stuff and have no more room!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2010
11:15 PM

Post #7449745

I guess I better be careful what I am wishing for as at least in the winter I don't work quite as hard and take a bit more time to play and rest so perhaps better enjoy whilst I can!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

January 11, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7451648

hi all
we are getting out of the ice and cold
we are sorry about all our lost goat
the chicken are all ok
the rabbit are holding on
the dog are ok
we are trier but are ok
elle
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7451682

Hi elle!

So good to hear from you!
Sorry about the goat. But
really happy for the rest of
the animals!

My chickens are doing ok, but I did lose one to the cold.

Looks like we may get more snow!

Here is a cuppa for you and haighr. Enjoy!

(_)? (_)? (_)? Cheers!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

January 11, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7452013

hi
thank-you
this week should get us going again
we get egg every day even in the coldest day
yesterday we got 13
today we got 5 so far
elle
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7452036

My hens gave it up for the last 10 days! Hope they would start again soon! Im running out of eggies! Its so hard to keep water to them and they dont drink enough when its subzero
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #7454568

Hi elle, sorry to hear about your goats, but glad it is a little warmer for you and hope each day gets even better. Wow, that is impressive that your hens are a laying even in the bitter cold. BB sounds like you better go over there and raid elles hen house to make your next cake!
Cold here again but say it will warm each day and maybe be in the 40's by Friday.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7454607

On my way!! LOL!

Well anyway looks a tad warmer this morning, but I have only been out so far to walk the dog. Guess I best git going and tend the other critters before they come busting in the kitchen for something to eat!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #7454641

lol, she looks like she's trying to tell you somethin!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7454648

from the looks of the stall wall,probably "Where's the Feed?"
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

January 12, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7454741

hi
nice picture
the animal can hardly wait for the warm weather
i am up earily to drink a cup of coffee
elle
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #7456021

Well the feed WAS in the bucket, she wants back out with the rest of the herd! and one of her a-hem naughty grandaughters chewed the wall last spring! We keep the hay on this side of the wall now and the GD was reaching through it from the other!

I think we all are wanting warm weather! Man, if this is just the beginning.. oh brother!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7463584

Aloha, everyone. I wish I can send this sunshine to you all.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7463849

Aloha soils! hows things in Maui?

I think we have felt the aftershock of Haiti even this far away... My dog has been going goofy and I know you are too very far away to feel anything from it. But what a terrible thing there.

Perhaps a moment of silence for those folks.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7470370

Dianne you soak up all the sunshine you can for us and we'll just feel the warmth through you ! I am so cold right ow can barely type lol!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #7470856

Yes, do tell us of your trip, we are all wanting to know! Did you swim, surf? do tell!
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #7472021

Hi everyone! It's good to be back, hows the cafe running?
I'm looking forward to it getting busy again in a couple months! We have almost no snow here and its been warmish...well...warm for january! I thought a snowdrop might come up but no signs. The only sign I found was loads of bunny droppings in the garden so my plan is now that the yard is fully fenced in (sans gate) I will put chicken wire(the tiny holed kind) all around the yard under the fences to keep the critters out! YAY!

I also noticed theres no new posts from Terri around...has anyone heard from her?
I hope shes doing ok :)

I'm going to go check out the winter flowers thread before I go get ready for bed,
Steven

Heres an Amarylis for the cafe! It should brighten things up a bit!

Thumbnail by SW_gardener

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #7472456

Very pretty SW! And welcome back!

No news from terri, we all miss her very much.

I have been planning the veggies and flower gardens and logging pix and ever so busy!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #7472605

Winter sowing like mad. Even have some green sprouts already. 60 something for today and all the way up to 67 tomorrow but we'll be on the road to Louisana and the VA Hospital for test on the ole phart.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7472772

Well, good luck wuth the ole phart! When yer done with yer weather though, ring it out and send it my way!

Slicker than snoots today.. cloudy, grey and beady lil ice patches on the flat places making it dangerous to walk, no less drive.

And good gawd if they do anymore salting up hear I wish somone would just cram a steak up my nose to chase it down with.. gads the chlorine smell of it is sickening already.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7473391

I wish we HAD some snow here...its just brown and cold. Eeew. I have a feeling were going to get all the snow next month that we haven't gotten all winter. But spring is only just over a month away! YAY! I haven't done any wintersowing yet, but I sowed my first indoor seeds a couple days ago, Solanum laciniatum. I grew them before but I'm hoping if I start them early enough I'll get flowers and fruits this time!

Is anyone else planning on growing any exotics to decorate the cafe?

I brought some Cyclamen today for the window.

Steven
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #7473485

Do show us the cy SW!!

About the only thing I have growing are my radish in an aquarium! Its over there next to the poinsettia!

I sure wish someone would get the place decorated! Valentines day will soon be here and its time to get ready!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7473684

And here is a vase of cut flowers from my indoor plants!

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #7473969

Ooop, forgot to "bring" the cyclamen!

I quite like your indoor plants blossom, I guess your dianthus must be doing well indoors? I wonder how they would do in my basement...theres lots of south light and its fairly cool so maybe they'd like it down here?

Heres the cyclamen, maybe I'll put it by the front window so it can be seen from the laneway.

Thumbnail by SW_gardener

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7474149

Welcome back Steven, nice to see you - no snow there? We still have some on the ground here and wish it would soon go away.
BB you have some lovely blooms inside, all I have are sticks and a few leaves lol!
Nice cy Steven, looks good there.
Not sure what I can provide for the cafe, nothing in bloom and the stores cost a fortune for blooms here, so I shall enjoy what everyone else has.
Hoping as is everyone that Terri comes back and reclaims her cafe, guess we shall just have to wait till she is up to it.
Hope the phart is fine after the exam red lol! And where are those Maui photos Dianne?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2010
12:11 AM

Post #7474420

SW, my houseplants are all under lights. The dianthus gets a bit leggy. The impatiens are doign great though.. I have beed takign cutitings on th eimps and my coleus!

Gorgeous CY!!! That is stunning!
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7477005

Hi Candee! Nope, no snow here...I honestly wish there was because everythingis brown...if it's not 'dead' brown then its 'covered in dirt' brown. But in 2 months or so I should be seeing crocus so thats something to look forward to!

Blossom, you should bring your plants over to the cafe! And do you have any new pics of your dianthus?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2010
11:29 PM

Post #7477281

SW, no, sorry I do not. They are just all green now and a few are turning brown. Guess they are getting done. Maybe I could revive a few oldies though to brighten up the place!

C'mon over to the back porch, bring your shovel and you can have alll my snow!

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2010
1:28 AM

Post #7477691

Oh thats a nice one! I was thinking of lifting mine out of the garden and putting them in pots in the spring...they don't seem to fond of our soil here(clay) which is practicly moldable! Too bad some of them are turning brown :( only a little while longer and they could have gone out into your GPS! I'll come by your house later and pick up some snow for the backyard! And maybe build a snowman in front of the cafe!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2010
2:18 AM

Post #7477847

They would have to last 2 to 3 more months to make it out to the GPS.. fingers crosed they might still do it!

Here SW, a cuppa to warm you. That was a lot of snow out there and that is one huge snowman! I like the way you put the garden tools in his hands and that straw hat off the old scare crow, ... adorable!

(____)? cheers!

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2010
2:42 AM

Post #7477921

(____)? Thats pretty neat-o! It looks like a mug. Thanks for the cuppa.

Coco and I are going to whip up some hot cocoa's at the cafe for everyone!

~~~~~ (____)? (____)? (____)? (____)? (____)? (____)? (____)?~~~~~
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message was edited Jan 19, 2010 9:43 PM

Thumbnail by SW_gardener

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #7478081

WOW!~~ Thats some fancy bunny hutch you got there guys!

I brought some carrots, lettuce and celerys for you. I take it they are not found of bluecheese?

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 20, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7478610

you know why the mushroom was invited to all the parties?

Because he was a fun guy...

these are growing in the stones under my washing line

Thumbnail by dalfyre

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #7478709

ROTF!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7478717

LOL! you do not want to see the not so fun-guy growing on my rocks.. it moved in uninvited and has taken over the world. ICK ICK ICK!

(Go here if you want to see my mess! Truly not a FUN-guy!)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060531/#top

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7479490

Well...maybe we should invite the mushroom then? Since Miss Bruggie's cousins passed on its been a bit quiet around here.

Is that last pic one of you inside dianthus Blossom?

I noticed this morning that my Bougainvilla is starting to grow again! So the days must be getting longer now because so far its mostly just sat there, it has a couple tiny blooms on it which are still growing but now all the shoots are starting to grow so in a couple months it should be covered in flowers! YAY!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7479514

Why yes that dianthus is! (those pix are all repeats of the ones in the fall, but I thought it would be nice to show them again! Since you asked! hehehe!) My last white ones just finished last week so I have no blooms of the dianthus fresh for now.

Yeppers! Daylights getting longer.. Just wished it was at the end of the day and not so early! LOL! Awww whom I kidding, I get up when the crow calls.

Well, sorry to have to run. Looks like the cafe is a bit on the empty side so I need to step out. Maybe we can sautee that blob with the funguy! Toss some onions in? Well anyway, maybe not. We would not want anuyone seeing too many colors!

Catch you later!

OUT FOR LUNCH!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 21, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7481309

how about this interesting one...
I thought it was a plastic toy but turns out to be a member of the stink horn family.
Didn't have a noticable odour to me.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/basket fungus/dalfyre/pix005.jpg?o=2

It is native to NZ & the Maori name in one region for it translates to 'ghost dung' .
In another region it is 'star dung', yet another 'lightning dung'...
I am hoping it comes up again this autumn as it is so unusual.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7481516

Im not looking.. if its what I think it is its well worse looking that a certain pepper going around.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7481802

Very interesting Teresa, reminds me of a hamster wheel!
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7482257

Wow that is amazing! In the picture it looks round like a hamster ball like Candee said or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Blossom, you should forget about that pepper! You should look at the ghost dung though! Its very cool.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2010
10:59 PM

Post #7483216

cant do it
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2010
1:00 AM

Post #7483814

DO IT!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 22, 2010
1:39 AM

Post #7484003

blossy - it isn't at all like any part of human anatomy...
have a peek
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #7484820

dalfyre,
that is just too cool
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7484918

H O L Y

C O W! THAT IS AWWWWWWWESOME!

WHoooHOOOO WHOOO HOOO WHOOOOOhooooo!

L@@K!!!!!!!!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7484956

I want some!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 22, 2010
10:39 PM

Post #7486498

apparently it has been seen in the UK, was accidentally imported with plants from here.
The same way that our seriously wicked carniverous worms got to the UK.
Those critters have caused real issues for farmers as they eat earth worms.
I never knew we had them until seeing a British documentary about imported pest plants & animals.
I think it is mother nature's revenge for the Brits sending us all their pests...

http://soilbugs.massey.ac.nz/turbellaria.php

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 22, 2010
10:40 PM

Post #7486500

there is a lot more to NZ than hobbits...

http://www.terranature.org/gigantism.htm
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2010
11:05 PM

Post #7486545

I've heard of those carniverous worms and do not envy people who have them.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7487855

Very interesting dalfyre. That moth is pretty.

I find the occassional flat worm. Ours are much slimmer and with hammer heads but coloring and stripes are much the smae.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7488044

EWEEEE! Worm eating werms??!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 23, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7489096

ever see the doco - Life In the Undergrowth.
Insects lead astonishing lives.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #7489225

No, dont have TV
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7501218

All those weird critters and microbial growths must have scared everyone away from the cafe. It has been a quiet week here. I finally got around to looking at some of my vacation shots and thought I'd share some with you all. This is the site of my cousin's wedding - all the arrangements were handled by the hotel's wedding coordinator.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7501219

photo of the bridal bouquet and some of the table arrangements

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7501220

centerpiece.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7501221

I thought this would look nice in the cafe so I morphed it over here.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7501223

I bought some cake over for everyone to share. It is amazing how well those green orchids last out in the open like that.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7501224

And after all the festivities, nothing beats going to the beach to soak up some sun. It rained in California almost the whole week that I was gone, so it was a really nice break from winter.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 27, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7501260

flowers for the cafe counter

Thumbnail by dalfyre

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2010
10:33 AM

Post #7501309

very nice soil
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7502326

Loverly! Thanks fro sharing!

Got snow here...just wait a minute.. spring might be here ...

1,2,3,4...30...60 seconds...

Nope...

Aw choot!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7502377

Stunning setting for a wedding Dianne. I love the orchid bouquet but I think my favorite post is the table centerpiece with the rose buds in the shell with the pearl pins, reminds me of something Terri might put together.
You look mighty relaxed and content there on the beach! Wish I had been sitting beside you with a nice margarita or something.
Nice to see someone enjoying the fun in the sun and warmth, don't think it is BB at the moment what with more of that white stuff in the air!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 27, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7502544

I loved the wedding flowers too - the orchids are amazing.
great colour combinations.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #7502604

The first pic made my mouth fall open. It is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7505035

Aw.. BB is having fun...not!!!

Hey, someone open the February Cafe ok! Were takig some time to load up on this thread!
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #7505830

The new Cafe is open for buisness! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072418/
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #7506046

Glad you all enjoyed the photos.

Candee - I want to be swimming in the Bahamas with you with the dolphins this year. Never been there before...
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7509114

We had a great time Dianne, here is a link to all the photos if interested. We left snow behind us in Baltimore so those are the first photos!

http://haigh.phanfare.com/4506954
jmaeck
Shelburne, VT

February 9, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7545165

Hi,

I am a new member to the site and am starting a cut flower (mainly zinnia) business in Vermont.
I am looking for suggestions and seeds to grow out for spring, perhaps some might have suggestions ?
I have a greenhouse and will put up hoop houses in April to grow on. I would be very interested in members who would be willing to trade or otherwise help me get some perennial and zinnia seeds.

Thanks,

John
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7545182

John, check out the annuals fourms.. especially the zinnia threads. That may help!

Welcome aboard!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7548059

Hi therer John, nice to have you here. Zinnias are one of my absolute favs and I harvest all of mine, hopefully I'll have some to share. I love using zinnias in arrangements and they last such a long time not just in bloom but also in arrangements.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America