Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Voting Booth: My New Year's Gardening resolution:

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 113, Views: 892
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

December 28, 2009
9:50 AM

Post #7403429

There are a total of 233 votes:

To be more dilligent in keeping records.
(55 votes, 23%)
Red dot

I plan on learning and using more botanical names.
(7 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I'm going to save more seeds this year!
(16 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I resolve to make better choices when selecting which plants to purchase.
(58 votes, 24%)
Red dot

I resolve to keep my gardens neater by deadheading and weed pulling.
(71 votes, 30%)
Red dot

To defeat my worst garden pest once and for all! (what is it?)
(26 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #7403458

I must keep more records.
But I have 3 more days before I have to start. ^_^

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
10:59 AM

Post #7403463

I'm going to save more seeds
Be more diligent with the SLUGGO
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

December 28, 2009
11:12 AM

Post #7403471

I wish the had a choice all the above or "I am not going to run out of time." LOL I voted for better record keeping
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
11:34 AM

Post #7403489

Something i've never done. Keep records. Reckon an old dog can learn new tricks. LOL

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
11:48 AM

Post #7403501

I need records at this age.My memory is awful.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

December 28, 2009
12:22 PM

Post #7403527

I need to find out what kills the Sri Lanken Weavel, it strippe my orange tree bare, did a job on my guava tree, killed my neighbors tangalo tree, now I see my star fruit tree is being eaten, there has to be something thats effective besides the two brick method. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Jim Oh, it's also infested my ficus hedge but byers shrub and tree control seems to control them there. Problem is you can't use that stuff on edible fruit trees.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

December 28, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #7403530

If I could have voted twice, I'd be with ge1836, I'm to the point where I feel lucky if I can find my way to the back yard! ^_^

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
12:43 PM

Post #7403556

Garden pests to defeat (#2 & #3 were less of a problem last year)
#1 Squash Bugs -- Squash them before they multiply!
#2 Cucumber Beetles (spotted) -- grow bacterial wilt resistance and bitterfree cukes!
#3 Squash Vine Borers -- grow more C. moschatas; such as; butternuts & trombone!

The trombone squash draws the squash bugs away from other varieties and it grows so fast that the bugs can't keep up with it. Since I've been growing bitterfree cukes, the cuke beetles have almost disappeared from my garden. The squash vine borers don't bother the C. moschatas. I plan to grow Long Pie Pumpkin (C. pepo). We'll see how that goes. I may have to switch to Long Island Cheese (C. moschata).

Thanks to the great advice from ATTRA, I can do this organically. I LOVE MY CUCURBITS! : )
roseone33
Southern Mountains, GA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #7403561

Weeds!
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #7403568

Hi Jim...check for Iguana's, those 'bad boys' are everywhere down there. They are Herbivores and when hungry will eat anything.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #7403606

Jimsned2 ~ on the "two brick method" ~ just be sure to keep your thumbs out from between those bricks ~ LOL

I voted making better choices selecting plants. I am attempting to learn what does well here, what I like and what I already have are three different things.

pod ~ just another old dog learning new tricks.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #7403611

I voted for keeping my garden neater, although I don't have alot of plants that need to be deadheaded, & I do pull weeds fairly often, I have several big shrubs and plants that need to be trimmed back more often--- or else it starts to look like a jungle back there!
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 28, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7403713

I will continue to work on remembering and using more Botanical names.
Pillita
Keystone Heights, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #7403749

I asked for and received a garden journal for my December birthday and have already filled a dozen pages. What a help it will be next year to pull out one book when I want to recall something rather than searching for a dozen different scraps of paper. Hand-in-hand with this is assigning a schedule for doing certain tasks (e.g., spraying the vegetable garden with fish emulsion on the second weekend of every month, etc.).
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #7403755

Weeds , weeds and again this year weeds
I think that was last years resolution too
Of course if I succeed I wont have any ''winter interest'' ^_^

Thumbnail by gardengus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #7403818

Record keeping for sure! After all the seeds I've bought and collected this year, I don't have a clue what I have and/or when to plant them!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 28, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #7403902

Records here too! including learning to use my better camera for pics to go with my notes. It's a BIG manual though sigh :(
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

December 28, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #7404007

I picked weeding and deadheading because it was closest to what I really meant which was pruning and cutting back. Dahlia, I've been using my little camera so much lately because I haven't wanted to cope with the big one!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #7404031

I voted for better records. I made a great start last year on DG entering new plants into the Trade List feature and then disabling all the things I don't have extra of to trade yet. Eventually I will.
I also need to be more diligent with Sluggo and corn gluten, and make better plant choices if I buy anything!
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7404071

My vote is better plant choices - in particular I will try to incorporate more natives into my landscaping, and also work on 'taming' my outlying natives a bit. Weeding is a perennial goal, and we have an ongoing battle with beavers.

Record keeping seems to be a popular goal, and perhaps we can share our methods. I maintain a Word file which is set up as a simple chart with 4 columns. The first column is the botanical name with a small close-up photo of plant (usually a close-up of the bloom). Next column is the common name and notes on herbal use and bird/bug attractant. Next column is a general description (light needs, maturity size, time of bloom, etc.). Final column is a 'to do' for the upcoming season - when to divide, when & how to prune, fertilization schedule, etc. This is a rather concise chart, about 6 plants per page. Every spring, I convert the existing Word file to a PDF file (quicker to print), print it, and keep it in a notebook which I then carry with me and make notes in throughout the growing season. During the winter, I update the Word file, adding pictures and new plants, new ideas, etc. My current file is 47 pages long and growing. Provides me with a good winter project every year!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #7404241

I didn't vote because there is no all of the above button. Be better at record keeping, save seeds and actually remember what they are and where I put them, More diligent deadheading and pulling of weeds, out smarting or trying to out smart the dreaded Japanese beetle, and one not mentioned, actually remembering to put tools away in their proper places so they are easier to find when I need them.

Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

December 28, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #7404287

Rent man, nope, it's most definate Sri Lankan weevals, it's my understanding that they are traveling northward fast, hope they find a cure fast too. Woofie, glad to know there is at least one more like me. Dutchlady, I can't remember my own neighbors names, I gave up on trying with the botanical names, after all "a rose by any other name smells just as sweet". Jim
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 28, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #7404501

I chose save more seeds but all the above would be more to the point. with the exception of getting rid of the pests once and for all. I know that to be an impossibility. Every thing has a purpose, even if it is only to try my patience. Those of course include the squash beetles those gray Japanese beetles, mosquitoes, grasshoppers and of course rabbits. I do however make it as undesirable as possible for them to enter my garden, for their free lunch program.
The price for seeds has sky-rocketed in the last few years. some advertise 3 seeds for $2.95 + shipping. and 10 seeds for $5.00. and if they don't germinate, your just S-O-L.
Annette_M
New Waverly, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7404777

All of the above! But my biggest objective is my on-going battle with the moles!

I get really tired of nearly breaking my ankle in the tunnels, and having them dig under my plants, causing them to sink! That's deadly to daylilies.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 28, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #7404951

Neater would be nice, but I know I won't keep at it, so I won't make the resolution.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

December 29, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #7405113

yeah,a bit of all the above..as i tub up each 30 lily seeds,i mark them with black marker pen...as i pot each seedling i use a white permanent paint pen to mark the pot...ive given away countless big name lilies in the past and then wonder where theyve gone. ..gday DAHLIANUT!

This message was edited Dec 29, 2009 3:26 PM
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7405262

I voted for "Keep better records", but I realize now I should have vowed to keep better control of the gophers -- my nemisis. Why can we only vote for one!

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #7405434

Paj, go ahead and vote again why dontchoo? ;-)

Me I vote for none of the above. I intend to enjoy more and plan less.

since I am exploring an entirely new garden space that just makes sense to me. I am going to be learning new territory once again. cool!

These guys are fenced out here tho, which is probably good.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #7405544

i vowed last year to rid my garden of Citrus Root Weevils and it can't be done, not completely. so, little by little, i am taking out the plants they love and replacing them with ones they hate! lol then i can enjoy my new resolution to take it easier out in the garden and not fret so much over what can't be changed. i never thought i'd say this but the garden and all that word entails has run my life for the last 15 years and i'm growing weary.

omg, did i really say that?
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7405648

Good idea, Kyla. I will go back and vote again. I won't be having much of any garden if I don't exert some control over the gophers.
Good thing those cute little deer are fenced out. But how, I wonder. It must take quite a fence to keep the deer out! Are you sure they won't just make a flying deer bound and land in your yard over the top of the fence? They are terrific at fence jumping.
I love deer -- but am really clear on what they can do to a garden.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2009
5:04 AM

Post #7405904

I voted to collect more seeds, but I also need to be a lot more selective in my plant choices. I think they should have had a category for plant moving. I will try to move a lot of my plants around to more suitable locations.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2009
7:12 AM

Post #7406090

Annette,

If you can get a few cats they will controll the moles. Ours do a great job. They even help a little with large grasshoppers... LOL Now if I could just train them to eat slugs!
Annette_M
New Waverly, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
7:51 AM

Post #7406117

yardqueen, if I had cats, they would probably live in the house, and be too fat and lazy to catch moles!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2009
8:30 AM

Post #7406131

Our cats do not come in the house. They are not sweet little housecats. They are ruthless, killer hunting cats. They wil,l on occasion, condescend to being stroked if you don't get mushy...
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 29, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #7406312

gday g_whizz ^_^

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 29, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #7406597

g'morning, Dahlia! LTNS - hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and will have a great New Year!!

I voted for "save more seeds" however, I don't think that's the issue. Keeping better records would be ^_^
Most of my plants are either perennials, or self-seeding, although I saved some wonderful Hibiscus seeds last year, and everyone seems to want some ^_^
Here's a pic of that lovely hibiscus.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 29, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #7406602

and Dahlia - those dahlias you gave me last year were very much loved by all.
Here's Queen d'nuit, my favourite dahlia - so prolific and beautiful! My fav colour ^_^

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #7406646

I've just started perusing Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds catalog, and think I should have said to be very careful of ordering new seeds!!!!! They are so enticing. But it will be winter here for about 3 more months so lots of time to look at catalogs.

Donna
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 29, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #7406813

Tallulah your hibiscus looks like 'Simply Love'? Dahlia is Nuit D'ete (summer night). I'll pot you up another if you didn't save tubers ^_^
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7406984

rutholive,
While ordering seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, I highly recommend one they usually have - a pumpkin-like winter squash call Galeux d'Eysienne See link below. This is one of the most delicious squash I have ever eaten and I never see it for sale even in the farmers' markets. It isn't as good a keeper as a hubbard, say, but it keeps a while and you won't have to worry about keeping it, anyhow because it is so yummy. And very attractive, warts ( yes, really) and all.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/91927/

This message was edited Dec 29, 2009 9:51 AM
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7407588

I voted to defeat my biggest garden pest which is our golden retriever. Yes, holes need to be dug, but not in the middle of the yard. If I stuck a tree in all of his holes, I'd be a forest farmer. And I'm still mystified as to just where all the dirt goes when he's done with a hole.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2009 2:43 PM
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 29, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #7407611

Pajaritomt; & Donna. I have my Bakers Creek catalog and did look at the
Galeux d'Eysines. The warts kind of made me think again but maybe I shouldn't judge it so harshly . I will have to give it try.
Has anyone tried the Australian Butter? I was thinking it may be another one to try. I always have Butternut and am very happy with it.
Another one I like is the Tahitian Melon squash. It is very tasty, not a real long keeper, and they are huge and only two of us we have to cut it up and spread it over several meals. I will have to buy a pkt. of them again, as I lost all the seeds from them. They may have been a hybrid, not sure.
Russ
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #7408311

babeegirl,

I can almost guarantee that dirt is in his fur. Where else could it be?
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7408402

the way he flings it, probably 2 blocks down:)
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #7408406

As for the Galeux, if you like butternut, you will love it. I will have to try the Tahition Melon. Haven't tried the Australian Butter.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #7408511

that dirt is in your house! lol just like the sand we have here is in mine!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 30, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #7408535

O what a relief trackinsand! No worries if its in the big thing in the middle of garden. Now if it was IN the garden THAT would be serious!

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #7408688

I am seriously downsizing this year...living in Texas has too many challenges for gardening, I will stick with flowers.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #7408767

I'm looking forward to a big patch of coneflowers and better tomatoes. Our golden doesn't like the smell of marigolds so EVERYTHING will have marigolds mixed in next season. I harvested at least two 2-gallon bags full of mari seeds.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2009
10:20 AM

Post #7409075

The digging dogs is why most of my yard has chicken wire buried underneath the mulch.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2009
10:25 AM

Post #7409080

The dogs are why I'm up so early. Both needed to go out & fertilize the lawn and that's when I learned that it's snowing like crazy! The chicken wire also keeps the squirrels from stealing my flower bulbs.
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #7409641

Now, ya had to go and mention bulbs! I never DID get my tulips planted, and yeah it's snowing here, too.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7409643

Earthling: where is Rowlett in TX, west?, where it's hot & dry? Texas has all kinds of extremes, doesn't it?!!
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #7409717

Garden pests will always keep coming back.. so I can't defeat them "once and for all." In my case it's voles, deer, raccoons, and rabbits. I can only win enough battles to make gardening worthwhile. I hope to control weeds more by mulching than by pulling. I always try to keep records; and have been doing a better job with the Journal system here at DG. Seed saving is a good idea; but I need to be successful in growing and harvesting things that produce usable seeds...

Even without eliminating the other choices, it seems to me that my garden is mostly the product of good plant choices and placement. The way I find out is by planting things. Getting them well started, then giving them a fairly low standard of care. The ones that survive stay. At the end of a decade or so, I have a garden full of low-care plants.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #7409968

So many goals! Using more botanical names, learning about saving seeds, and choosing more heirlooms. Learning more about companion planting and soil components. Keeping the squash haters at bay: squash vine borer, squash bug, and powdery mildew.

The one thing that (happily) isn't on my list is weeding. Someone on here suggested putting newspaper under the mulch, and I did almost no weeding last summer. Collecting newspapers now, and they'll go down soon after tilling. My soil needs lots more organic matter anyway, so it's a win-win.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #7410752

I gotta find some nice preditor that likes to eat slugs!
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 30, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #7410778

Devidedsky, in Indy; The paper works great. For me it is trying to have enough mulch to cover it to hold it down. so I have some boards to do that job until I get enough mulch. Regrettably last spring I wasn't able to keep up and I had a lot of weeds and the production suffered. I try to think it was alright though, as I have survived a skull fracture and the resulting surgery. 10 months later now, I'm planning, what to plant and where and how much. We have saved many boxes of newspaper, so have a good supply to start with.
Russ
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 30, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #7410805

Honeybee; I think you are stuck with Slug-go unless you plan to stay in the garden all night with a salt shaker. When I was upset with them one time I salted them down and watched them dissolve. lol
rockgardner
Billerica, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #7411131

For me , I resolve to save more of my own seeds. But I also resolve to make better choices when selecting which seeds I purchase and to plant them (or trade them) while they still have viability.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

December 30, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #7411141

honeybee,the predator is called slug killer
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #7411411

Can I check 'all of the above' somewhere?? I am pretty good about using more botanical names and am much better these days about plant choices. But I still need to be better at deadheading (more than once or twice a year) and weeding (after they get too big). The garden pests get away from me before I can do much about them.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7411478

I know what you mean, rand. I ended up paying something like $6 a bale for straw for mulch. Thought it would be cheaper than that.

Interesting how a health problem can put your gardening woes in perspective, isn't it? Good thing about gardening is that you always get to give it another try the next season.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 31, 2009

Post #7411517

I am very thankful tor that chance to try it again this next season.
There is a lot to say about the good garden does for you as well as providing food and beauty as a plus.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #7411605

Absolutely.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #7412248

The best slug killer I have found is ducks or geese - they are voracious. They also leave piles of doo-doo (geese more than ducks), and may eat your favored plants, so that's a trade off.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

December 31, 2009
6:13 AM

Post #7412373

I am gardening with my bug control being wasps and chickens. But I have nothing to stop the white flies that take out my Vir Creeper every late summer. I am going to study their life styles so I can bring in a new predator. Or eliminate their nests. Hmmmm
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 31, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #7412916

Please let me know if you find a natural predator Sof. I have the same problem sigh.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #7413056

toads?
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 31, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7413066

No toads in the mountains sigh dividesky.
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #7413126

I have noticed piles of slug shells near the openings of tunnels that I believe belong to voles. Sadly, though, voles eat whole plants, too. The ones we treasure most they eat first.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7413151

I checked deadheading and pulling but almost said better choices and that's almost a tie. Then again if could get rid of flea beetles!! I could finally grow chard etc.
Well at least it reminded to get back to my Journal and do some updating. I haven't looked at it in so long, there are some houseplants I have given away completely.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #7413193

No toads? Sad. :o(
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 31, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #7413224

No kiddin. I miss them :(
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #7413353

Yes, I miss toads, too and also the little green tree frogs we used to have in the South. We pay a price for our mountains with their beautiful views and light population.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

December 31, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #7413686

No toads here also but lots of salamanders gracing my soil under the hardscape. They dammage nothing and are just as cute, oh and they don't give you warts.
I have done lots of reading and I plan on pruning the top branches and burning them. Also I have seen good effects last year with leaf vaccuming and shredding. I do compost them but I have seen no hatch on the pile. I suspect the problem is on the V creeper due to the dense leaf pattern and the wasps are going for the dewdrop rather than the fly in late summer.
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #7413964

Frogs? You want frogs? Try buying your Christmas tree in Anchorage! My cousin in HI sent me this newspaper clipping.

Thumbnail by woofie

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2010
12:03 AM

Post #7414515

i am giving less time to plants this year
and more time to family!

God Bless you all in the new year!!!

hugz
dori-NOTmartha!

Thumbnail by notmartha

Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2010
3:52 AM

Post #7415299

Good to see you again Dori. Hope all is well in the midwest forum.
oakley240
Hazlehurst, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7415565

I chose "To defeat my worst garden pest once and for all!" My worst garden pest is pig weeds.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 1, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #7415649

DORI notMARTHA,beautiful people,great gardening habit[from australia]
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #7415681

I voted to be more diligent about record keeping but I 'm also working on choosing plants more and more suitable for my climates and microclimates. My seeds are labeled and filed. Im working on a notebook from which I can make a calendar of what needs doing at which time so I can stop forgetting to fertilize or prune at the best time. I need the notebook to keep records of what happened and when before I can make a plan.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 1, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #7415691

the notebook is kept in the head,if something doesnt come out in the show week,the weather has had a lot to do with it..everything here is 3 weeks in advance,thanks to 5 months of rain...the dice.,.,., they will fall on any number,.,.gardening is a gamble
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #7416408

g_whizz; my mother said I shouldn't gamble, so what do I do I garden. LOL
Russ
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7417248

I would have chosen 'all of the above' if it had been offered, except that I wouldn't dead head too much, because the birds love my agastache and fennel stems that weren't cut back. I chose 'keep better records' because just throwing the plant id tags in a bucket to sort out later isn't working for me.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7417378

Yardqueen, I have mole-hunting cats, too...been thinking of starting a new business, "Rent-a-cat", lol
My worst gardening pest is procrastination...been putting off growing veggies in containers, inside the dog pen where the countless woodland critters don't venture. This year, I'm gonna try it.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #7417428

Tee hee, Pam, I have done some throwing of plant ID tags in a bucket, too. But not on my iris. Those get mismarked by my forgetting to make the tag before I plant the iris then forgetting to make the tag right after planting when I can remember what iris I planted where. Making accurate tags is almost as time consuming as planting!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #7417472

I keep vowing to improve my memory, but always end up forgetting to do so...
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7417544

hee hee, good one!
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #7417675

I have tagged a few of my iris, but the ones I got from my sister in law - - - 2 five gallon buckets full. that I spent hours on my knees planting. I failed 2 years now to even stake their colors beside them. Guess that should be my new years resolution! And stop procrastinating. I would like to replant them with a plan to group the colors better.

Thumbnail by randbponder

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2010
11:16 PM

Post #7417742

Oooo, they're lovely!
Soulsecho
Baltimore, MD

January 2, 2010
12:56 AM

Post #7418102

This was my third year gardening and I had created spreadsheets to track everything from actual yields to overall cost (of course broken down into annual costs/ periodic cost vs startup cost), cataloged seeds, vendor cost, tax expense, delivery times for each vendor, % viability of seeds, % loss, climate, rainfall, harvest times and fertilizer application rates. Did I mention I am an accountant /auditor? Any way, I started off great, but I needed to focus more on the having time to measure all of this stuff. By July, between the pressures of work and family, I barely managed to keep up with the gardening chores. So, I think I need to focus more on the keeping the garden clean aspect. And yes, I have copied all my sheets and created new headers so I am all set. Can't wait to get started... I think I'll start next week.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2010
1:32 AM

Post #7418208

Randb.--- beautiful Irises, one of my favorite flowers!
Kywoods--- uh, what was it you said you forgot to do???...I forget!
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2010
1:34 AM

Post #7418215

Happy 2010 everyone! * * *
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2010

Post #7418229

LOL, I think that was it...wish everyone a Happy New Year!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2010
4:26 AM

Post #7418610

KyW,

That is a great idea! We just need to think of a way to guarantee that the customer will give them back... I am too used to the no snakes, no rats, no mice, no moles life! I would need them back.

Every once in a while there is a down side though. Between the pale light of dawn and a few little leaf piles on the patio, I didn't see it... But I felt it. On the way to my car one morning, I stepped on the head of a creature that they left near the back door. Just the head... no body. I guess it was a mole cause it was too large to be a mouse.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #7418677

I hate it when they nab a poor little bird.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #7418907

Yeah, I know. I don't think it happens much here. We seldom if ever see any feathers lying around
summerhoneygirl
Hallettsville, TX

January 2, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7420215

Actually . . .

All Of The Above!

sum
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
8:57 PM

Post #7420605

Last year the fire ants were all over my perennial garden so I am going to be working on getting them out of there & it may take me all season!!! hahaha... I have a good safe (environmental) product I can use without worry.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2010
12:32 AM

Post #7421249

I keep pretty good records and love to collect and label seeds so I gotta go with keep up with weeding and deadheading. I lose complete interest in all of that once it gets hot and humid. I'm fairly antisocial when I have garden chores to get done and my apt. neighbors tend to want to wander out and start asking me about plants and can they have this or that which gets me irritated when I've got real work to do and then I call it a day and go inside:lol: Last time I dug up and reworked the iris bed it was 5:00 in the morning since I knew everyone in the building was still asleep--was finished and cleaned up by 8 am--looked like elves in the night had come in and done the work:)
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2010
1:37 AM

Post #7421425

Better record keeping. I wrote a few notes on my calendar this past year as to when a plant was in bloom and when it quit blooming and when I harvested the fist vegetables. However, when I put my new calendar up and reviewed my 2009 calendar I had mixed feelings. I was very excited to see when some of my flowers bloomed and when I harvested veggies, but I thought I had written more down than I did. So, this year, I am going to do a better job of record keeping. It's nice to know when something is in bloom in your yard so you know what companion plants you want to put with it.

The other resolution I have is to work on rearranging my plants for better companions.

The other resolution I have is to purchase one of those Asian hoes. I do a lot of weeding on my rear end and knees! That's going to be a birthday request!

The other resolution I have is to keep my tools in better condition. That's an on going resolution every year. I keep doing better!
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2010
1:45 AM

Post #7421450

I resolved to sanitize my cutting tools between uses. (I'm doing more and more work around the neighborhood, not just my yard, so I guess I feel a little more responsible.)

Other than that, I like my growing things pretty much as they are. I've learned that I'm a lot more interested in process than results. Observing my little ecosystems as they ebb and flow is fine. I don't feel so much need to control them.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 3, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7422435

That's a gooder bird17. I must take better care of my tools too. Also must not lose so many tools in the garden (although methinks the summer fairys hide them)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7423677

I have to spray my tools with that flourescent orange paint, or wrap some of that bright yellow electrical tape around the handle. It really helps!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
2:23 AM

Post #7425030

Good idea, KyWoods. I need to do that, too.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2010
3:22 AM

Post #7425192

Sometimes I lose my little shovels for months. They're stainless steel with rubber handles so thank goodness they don't deteriorate. I use old kitchen forks to "pull up" the small weeds by their roots. That's a real challenge to keep track of them! Good Idea! It's the Garden Fairies! :)
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7426454

I put purple Duct tape on the handles of my hand tools so I can find them easier, and because purple or any shade thereof is my favorite color.

Donna
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2010
10:23 PM

Post #7427946

Cool, didn't know it came in purple!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2010
2:23 AM

Post #7428950

I will have to look for that Duct tape! Any shade of purple is my favorite also! ^_^
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 5, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #7429677

purple!where do you buy it?
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
11:18 PM

Post #7432101

I got my purple ducktape at Ace Hdwr and think I saw some at Wal Mart. Donna
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
1:26 AM

Post #7432638

I'd have to get neon yellow!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2010
4:56 AM

Post #7433450

Oooh -- so many cool colors to chose from! Must try my local hardware store -- not an Ace but some other similar chain affiliate!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America