My New Year's Gardening resolution:

There are a total of 233 votes:

To be more dilligent in keeping records.
(55 votes, 23%)
Red dot

I plan on learning and using more botanical names.
(7 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I'm going to save more seeds this year!
(16 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I resolve to make better choices when selecting which plants to purchase.
(58 votes, 24%)
Red dot

I resolve to keep my gardens neater by deadheading and weed pulling.
(71 votes, 30%)
Red dot

To defeat my worst garden pest once and for all! (what is it?)
(26 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I must keep more records.
But I have 3 more days before I have to start. ^_^

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm going to save more seeds
Be more diligent with the SLUGGO

Milwaukee, WI

I wish the had a choice all the above or "I am not going to run out of time." LOL I voted for better record keeping

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Something i've never done. Keep records. Reckon an old dog can learn new tricks. LOL

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I need records at this age.My memory is awful.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I need to find out what kills the Sri Lanken Weavel, it strippe my orange tree bare, did a job on my guava tree, killed my neighbors tangalo tree, now I see my star fruit tree is being eaten, there has to be something thats effective besides the two brick method. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Jim Oh, it's also infested my ficus hedge but byers shrub and tree control seems to control them there. Problem is you can't use that stuff on edible fruit trees.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

If I could have voted twice, I'd be with ge1836, I'm to the point where I feel lucky if I can find my way to the back yard! ^_^

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Garden pests to defeat (#2 & #3 were less of a problem last year)
#1 Squash Bugs -- Squash them before they multiply!
#2 Cucumber Beetles (spotted) -- grow bacterial wilt resistance and bitterfree cukes!
#3 Squash Vine Borers -- grow more C. moschatas; such as; butternuts & trombone!

The trombone squash draws the squash bugs away from other varieties and it grows so fast that the bugs can't keep up with it. Since I've been growing bitterfree cukes, the cuke beetles have almost disappeared from my garden. The squash vine borers don't bother the C. moschatas. I plan to grow Long Pie Pumpkin (C. pepo). We'll see how that goes. I may have to switch to Long Island Cheese (C. moschata).

Thanks to the great advice from ATTRA, I can do this organically. I LOVE MY CUCURBITS! : )

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Weeds!

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Jim...check for Iguana's, those 'bad boys' are everywhere down there. They are Herbivores and when hungry will eat anything.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Jimsned2 ~ on the "two brick method" ~ just be sure to keep your thumbs out from between those bricks ~ LOL

I voted making better choices selecting plants. I am attempting to learn what does well here, what I like and what I already have are three different things.

pod ~ just another old dog learning new tricks.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

I voted for keeping my garden neater, although I don't have alot of plants that need to be deadheaded, & I do pull weeds fairly often, I have several big shrubs and plants that need to be trimmed back more often--- or else it starts to look like a jungle back there!

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I will continue to work on remembering and using more Botanical names.

Keystone Heights, FL(Zone 8b)

I asked for and received a garden journal for my December birthday and have already filled a dozen pages. What a help it will be next year to pull out one book when I want to recall something rather than searching for a dozen different scraps of paper. Hand-in-hand with this is assigning a schedule for doing certain tasks (e.g., spraying the vegetable garden with fish emulsion on the second weekend of every month, etc.).

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Weeds , weeds and again this year weeds
I think that was last years resolution too
Of course if I succeed I wont have any ''winter interest'' ^_^

Thumbnail by gardengus
Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Record keeping for sure! After all the seeds I've bought and collected this year, I don't have a clue what I have and/or when to plant them!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Records here too! including learning to use my better camera for pics to go with my notes. It's a BIG manual though sigh :(

Santa Fe, NM

I picked weeding and deadheading because it was closest to what I really meant which was pruning and cutting back. Dahlia, I've been using my little camera so much lately because I haven't wanted to cope with the big one!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

I voted for better records. I made a great start last year on DG entering new plants into the Trade List feature and then disabling all the things I don't have extra of to trade yet. Eventually I will.
I also need to be more diligent with Sluggo and corn gluten, and make better plant choices if I buy anything!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

My vote is better plant choices - in particular I will try to incorporate more natives into my landscaping, and also work on 'taming' my outlying natives a bit. Weeding is a perennial goal, and we have an ongoing battle with beavers.

Record keeping seems to be a popular goal, and perhaps we can share our methods. I maintain a Word file which is set up as a simple chart with 4 columns. The first column is the botanical name with a small close-up photo of plant (usually a close-up of the bloom). Next column is the common name and notes on herbal use and bird/bug attractant. Next column is a general description (light needs, maturity size, time of bloom, etc.). Final column is a 'to do' for the upcoming season - when to divide, when & how to prune, fertilization schedule, etc. This is a rather concise chart, about 6 plants per page. Every spring, I convert the existing Word file to a PDF file (quicker to print), print it, and keep it in a notebook which I then carry with me and make notes in throughout the growing season. During the winter, I update the Word file, adding pictures and new plants, new ideas, etc. My current file is 47 pages long and growing. Provides me with a good winter project every year!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I didn't vote because there is no all of the above button. Be better at record keeping, save seeds and actually remember what they are and where I put them, More diligent deadheading and pulling of weeds, out smarting or trying to out smart the dreaded Japanese beetle, and one not mentioned, actually remembering to put tools away in their proper places so they are easier to find when I need them.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Rent man, nope, it's most definate Sri Lankan weevals, it's my understanding that they are traveling northward fast, hope they find a cure fast too. Woofie, glad to know there is at least one more like me. Dutchlady, I can't remember my own neighbors names, I gave up on trying with the botanical names, after all "a rose by any other name smells just as sweet". Jim

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I chose save more seeds but all the above would be more to the point. with the exception of getting rid of the pests once and for all. I know that to be an impossibility. Every thing has a purpose, even if it is only to try my patience. Those of course include the squash beetles those gray Japanese beetles, mosquitoes, grasshoppers and of course rabbits. I do however make it as undesirable as possible for them to enter my garden, for their free lunch program.
The price for seeds has sky-rocketed in the last few years. some advertise 3 seeds for $2.95 + shipping. and 10 seeds for $5.00. and if they don't germinate, your just S-O-L.

New Waverly, TX(Zone 8b)

All of the above! But my biggest objective is my on-going battle with the moles!

I get really tired of nearly breaking my ankle in the tunnels, and having them dig under my plants, causing them to sink! That's deadly to daylilies.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Neater would be nice, but I know I won't keep at it, so I won't make the resolution.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

yeah,a bit of all the above..as i tub up each 30 lily seeds,i mark them with black marker pen....as i pot each seedling i use a white permanent paint pen to mark the pot....ive given away countless big name lilies in the past and then wonder where theyve gone. ..gday DAHLIANUT!

This message was edited Dec 29, 2009 3:26 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I voted for "Keep better records", but I realize now I should have vowed to keep better control of the gophers -- my nemisis. Why can we only vote for one!

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Paj, go ahead and vote again why dontchoo? ;-)

Me I vote for none of the above. I intend to enjoy more and plan less.

since I am exploring an entirely new garden space that just makes sense to me. I am going to be learning new territory once again. cool!

These guys are fenced out here tho, which is probably good.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i vowed last year to rid my garden of Citrus Root Weevils and it can't be done, not completely. so, little by little, i am taking out the plants they love and replacing them with ones they hate! lol then i can enjoy my new resolution to take it easier out in the garden and not fret so much over what can't be changed. i never thought i'd say this but the garden and all that word entails has run my life for the last 15 years and i'm growing weary.

omg, did i really say that?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good idea, Kyla. I will go back and vote again. I won't be having much of any garden if I don't exert some control over the gophers.
Good thing those cute little deer are fenced out. But how, I wonder. It must take quite a fence to keep the deer out! Are you sure they won't just make a flying deer bound and land in your yard over the top of the fence? They are terrific at fence jumping.
I love deer -- but am really clear on what they can do to a garden.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I voted to collect more seeds, but I also need to be a lot more selective in my plant choices. I think they should have had a category for plant moving. I will try to move a lot of my plants around to more suitable locations.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Annette,

If you can get a few cats they will controll the moles. Ours do a great job. They even help a little with large grasshoppers... LOL Now if I could just train them to eat slugs!

New Waverly, TX(Zone 8b)

yardqueen, if I had cats, they would probably live in the house, and be too fat and lazy to catch moles!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Our cats do not come in the house. They are not sweet little housecats. They are ruthless, killer hunting cats. They wil,l on occasion, condescend to being stroked if you don't get mushy...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

gday g_whizz ^_^

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

g'morning, Dahlia! LTNS - hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and will have a great New Year!!

I voted for "save more seeds" however, I don't think that's the issue. Keeping better records would be ^_^
Most of my plants are either perennials, or self-seeding, although I saved some wonderful Hibiscus seeds last year, and everyone seems to want some ^_^
Here's a pic of that lovely hibiscus.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

and Dahlia - those dahlias you gave me last year were very much loved by all.
Here's Queen d'nuit, my favourite dahlia - so prolific and beautiful! My fav colour ^_^

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I've just started perusing Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds catalog, and think I should have said to be very careful of ordering new seeds!!!!! They are so enticing. But it will be winter here for about 3 more months so lots of time to look at catalogs.

Donna

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Tallulah your hibiscus looks like 'Simply Love'? Dahlia is Nuit D'ete (summer night). I'll pot you up another if you didn't save tubers ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.