Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Seed Catalogs: Whining and Pining

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Catalogs
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed CatalogsReplies: 1, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
acousticgreens
Centerview, MO

December 28, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #7403475

As certain as Kathleen's perspective story on catalogs are the piles of mine too...and all before Christmas. What ever happened to that first week of January catalog blitz?

This zone fiver, however, has a new dilemma this year with an addition of five more acres added to this property for the hedonistic pleasures and enslavement of gardening. Albeit, my mind set is on a vineyard and orchard, now I have to research and make decisions upon possible grazers ie; sheep and perhaps a guard animal such as a donkey or llama to protect the grazers from coyotes. I'm still cursing my entrace in the Master Gardening program which fed such notions and drives me to dreaming, working and the enslavement to the tasks of the growing season. Imagine! Five more acres to toil in the soil!

For this first year on this new addition, I'm keeping to a small wine & table grape vineyard (okay, 200 vines-I admit) ,eventually to hone my wine-making skills and a small orchard of 40-some grafted chestnut trees. What I'm going to do with all the harvest is still unknown and I'll whine about that indulgence later.

So, to dissipate my catalog fever I do two things. First, I obtained a Ephrems bottle cutter and began making vases out of wine bottles. Next I'll meander the gardens and begin cuttings of dormant flower quince, forsythia, cherry, apple, spirea, willows, etc for forced blooms to adorn the desks of my co-workers in this upcoming January month. My ideal is that for every minute I do these tasks, rather than pining over catalogs, I save myself hundreds of dollars. That's the theory anyway.

Now its a test of will, for as I hit send on this letter submission, those menacing piles of catalogs, just a few feet away, are like singing sirens drawing me to the shore of indulgence.
Well...one can never have too many blackberries or blueberries, I submit.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #7403566

I was suck into the black hole of a Stark's catalog just last night - raspberries and blackberries and a Japanese hybrid gooseberry caught my nearly undivided attention for half an hour or so until I was rescued by a phone call.

edit

And EXACTLY! Why do they torment us at Christmas time? What happened to sending out little prescriptive cures for cabin fever in January?

This message was edited Dec 28, 2009 7:54 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Catalogs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article Kathleen Dea 4 Dec 26, 2009 10:31 PM
Seed Catalogs, How True billyporter 4 Jan 10, 2010 5:34 PM
And here they come! bolino 1 Dec 26, 2009 10:14 PM
Kathleen, I always enjoy your articles. Jeanniegardener 1 Dec 29, 2009 2:36 PM
Me Too! phantomrose 1 Jan 6, 2010 1:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America