Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Walking in a Flowering Winter Wonderland: Iceflowers only - here in Ontario!

Communities > Forums > Article: Walking in a Flowering Winter Wonderland
bookmark
Forum: Article: Walking in a Flowering Winter WonderlandReplies: 3, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #7404149

Hello Dana
I enjoyed your enthusiastic winter flowering article! I live in Zone 5b and don't see anything much flowering here except some fantastic iceflowers if you have steam build-up on an icy window. I do have crocus in the garden but they only come out in the spring. Is there something i can do to get them to flower at a different time??

I do enjoy my indoor plants in winter. My cacti, which a quite ignored during the lush green season get my attention and I always have some left-over summer flowering pots inside, hoping for some blooms which invariably only happen around easter when the sunlight hours are longer. This year I have 2 pots of fuchsias which are growing rather tall but lack any sign of flowers so far.
On a different note: there are some living things out there in the snow which rather amazed me the other day: snowfleas! It was a nice sunny but rather cold day when I noticed little black things hopping on the snow! A Wiki-seach revealed that there are indeed creatures called snow fleas which live on lichen and other decomposing matter.
I believe you are a goldfish lover too? We have a fairly large and deep pond with a fair number of goldfish. Last winter was quite cold in places and only 2 of the original 8-10 survived. this year we had about 14-16 gold fish grown from feeder size in the spring. lets see what will reappear in the spring!
But I don't mind my winter garden, it has a beauty of its own.

iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #7405322

thanks.. i dont think theres much you could do to get the crocus to flower.. maybe brick chips around them on top and in the soil.. they hold heat.. maybe other rocks too. or mulch. fish are usually ok as long as the pond dosnt freeze over solid. there needs to be a break in the ice for oxygen exchange. koi and comets and shubunkins are the hardiest. did you check the levels in the pond .. i have to read up on the nitrogen cycle in winter, is should slow almost completely since the fish arnt producing much waste..
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #7406706

Hello Dana
Thanks for your reply. Our pond receives the water from the sump pump and any run-off from the down-pipes so there is always a bit of fresh water going in. Due to that there is also an opening in the ice because it certainly does freeze over!! Last year we still had a small bass in the pond - that could have been the reason for the diminished numbers in the spring! We also have some wild sunfish in there but they are too small to eat goldfish?! The gold fish look like comets - streamline shaped with elegant fins and tails.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7423088

do you have raccoons. they will eat the fish.. but id bet on the bass.. as soon as the water temps get to about 50 the fish will start eating again. and they will eat what ever fits in their mouth. if it was water conditions you would see a fish carcass

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Walking in a Flowering Winter Wonderland Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
WINTER FLOWERS hdown_y 4 Jan 17, 2011 11:06 AM
Winter gardening ladyfoz 0 Jan 21, 2010 9:00 PM
Weigela Wine and Roses AngelaRose1966 0 Jun 14, 2010 9:21 AM
Winter Gardens milet 0 Jan 14, 2013 5:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America