Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: Online source for tropical water lilies?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 25, Views: 222
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kenarden
Bar Harbor, ME

December 28, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #7404373

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an on line source for tropical water lilies. In the past, I've paid dearly for what seemed to be very small divisions of tropical water lilies. They didn't do very well.

Granted, Downeast Maine probably isn't the ideal place to grow them since the water temperature in my pool will never actually get too high above 78 degrees but I'd like to still give it another try (or two). Perhaps someone will even be able to recommend some tropical varieties that do better in less that ideal conditions relative to heat...

Thank you,

Karl
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #7405302

The place to go is Texas Waterlilies. Watch the co-op forum. There is usually an annual spring co-op for lilies from TexasWaterlilies and you can save quite a bit of money. I don't have any advice to offer on which ones will do well in cooler temperatures. In my zone 5a area they do just fine, provided I don't put them in the pond too soon in the spring. I do put them in the shallow water that heats up more quickly. Good luck. I hope you succeed. They are beautiful.
http://texaswaterlilies.com/
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #7408485

Moodene and I will not be hosting the annual TWL co-op this year as it was not approved by the committee.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
5:13 AM

Post #7408901

WHAT? DB why wouldn't they approve that??????? Start a new co-op at Yahoo.com. I belong to one there for other plants maybe you can piggy back!!! I can't imagine not have this co-op! The plants were fantastic and the prices were awesome and the owners were so nice to work with! Is there another way to re-submitt to the committee?
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
5:26 AM

Post #7408928

Hey I just emails the review board for co-ops and they gave me a speedy answer:

Hi Mothermole,

One of the moderators who voted against it said: "While we do not want to discourage coops, the way that you have this written is not a true coop. The reason for this-you need to explore other vendors besides this one. Compare prices, offerings, etc. Also, in order to be a true coop, you would want to get a list of what the members would want--not just a straight list to "order from" as you have currently listed. The way your application is right now, it is a sale and would belong on the Classified forum. If you could make some changes with the above suggestions in mind, you would have a better chance of this going forward as a coop. Hope you will try again! :)"

Happy Gardening,
dave

So the question is-what can we all do to help get this amazing co-op into action?
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
7:03 AM

Post #7409015

well, why can't we list it as a classified?
It only costs $5 I think for the ad.
It can be posted list style.
Yeah, I don't think it is a good idea to use co-op anymore. I think the rules, as we have seen here, are not going to work in a lot of situations.
:(
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #7409233

I've already put a question in to admin about classifieds and how we would let people know to look there.
Kenarden
Bar Harbor, ME

December 30, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #7409238

Well, thank you snapple for your suggestion. It looks like, from the rest of the posts, that you water gardening enthusiasts have quite a brisk trade of plants among yourselves! Good luck with the coop conundrum.

In the mean time, I have ordered up a bunch of water lilies. I did get one tropical but stayed primarily with hardy ones. It'd take til August for my pool to reach 75 degrees so I'm not sure that a tropical will even work at all but I figured I'd try it.

On question that arose for me as I was going through the catalogs were certain designations for the type of roots that the lilies had. The exact name escapes me right now but I was wondering how many different types of roots there were and what was behind their designation?

I know that the roots for grafted plants are sometimes designated but I have a feeling that that type of issue isn't what was being discussed w/ water lilies.

In any case, thanks again!

Karl in frigid Downeast Maine
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #7410946

Below is a copy and paste from a pretty good online article I found that explains the different root types of hardy waterlilies and why that is helpful to know.

"To begin an understanding of the different varieties of hardy Nymphaea one should start at the root, or "rhizome". There are three accepted classifications of rhizomes including Marliac., Odorata, and Tuberosa. There are more of the Marliac varieties than there Odorata or Tuberosa varieties, and there are two distinct types of Marliac rhizome. Hobbyists who intend to grow their water lilies in containers would be more successful growing those of the Marliac type. The spreading Odorata and Tuberosa types quickly outgrow their containers. This can be a nuisance for those not interested in transplanting their water lilies each year!"

The whole article is well worth reading if you have the time.
http://www.akca.org/library/lilie.htm

Kenarden
Bar Harbor, ME

January 4, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7426798

Thank you very much, snapple.
GardeningNC
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7427688

Kenarden, have you considered a smaller container water garden in which you could help to warm up before Aug and thus you could have one tropical in it - perhaps a 2' - 3' deep black tub and then ask about tropicals that would survive in the shallow depth of what you find. I had a purple one (maybe panama something or other) that i had in a container and it did fairly well blooming quite often. If you find that the container does not warm up as needed it would be fairly easy to do some sort of water heater for it. Just ideas, I wish you the best!!

One other interesting fact I recently learned in school is that cut water lilies can survive longer if you burn the end... I have not tried this but will try it next year :-)
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #7429270

Ken: A friend of mine bought me a heated water container last year and my tropical bloomed nicely in it. Chicago weather is unpredictable and the only tropical that bloomed last year was the one in the container. 2009 wasn't a v. hot summer, 2008 all my tropicals put on a brief modest show (no heated container either).

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #7429315

Fosters and Smith:
POND SUPPLIES HELP DESK
1-800-381-7179

ThermoPlanter
Encourages water lily and tropical plant growth

* Heated planter extends tropical water plant growing season
* Features thermostatically-controlled 70 watt heater and 15 ft power cord
* Submersible design easily fits most container gardens and ponds
Ingenious heated planter extends the growing season for tropical plants and water lilies. Rugged plastic planter is controlled by an integrated thermostat and features a 70 watt heater. Automatically creates the ideal conditions for beautiful, thriving tropical water plants. Submersible design fits most container gardens and ponds. Features a 15 ft power cord and insulated cover. Allows water garden enthusiasts in northern climates to start the growing season earlier and keep their plants out longer. Southern pond aficionados can use the planter year-round to help ensure plant survival through the winter. Black. 2.7 gallon capacity. UL-Listed.

Please click on "More Information" for use and care instructions.

2.7 gal planter, CE-27718
$43.99 $37.39
Enter Quantity:

Please note: If you wish to ship items with this symbol by express service, additional shipping charges will apply during checkout.

Thumbnail by mothermole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #7429323

I had the hardest time attaching the photo of the planter-glad to see it made it. This was in the Fosters and Smith's online store. I believe it is the same as mine. There are other stores that carry it. Farm stores may have something the similar but cheaper. I am always amazed at what I find at my Farm and Fleet store that I use in the pond.
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7429485

Does the Thermoplanter heat one plant or the whole pond?
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7429525

I think it just heats the pot
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7430327

just the pot.

I was just thinking, at farm store they sell heated water buckets for farm animals for use in winter-maybe that could be used in the pond?
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #7541067

I'm probably going to move the TWL co-op to another site since I can't do it here at DG. I've asked the question and will let you know.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7541363

sounds great, keep us posted!

dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7547633

I've moved it to another site. If you are interested, just dmail me.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 12, 2010
8:41 AM

Post #7552906

I am interested, will the price be the same as DG ? I thank you, Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2010
3:08 AM

Post #7595927

Linda

any ideas where I can find the Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia)? I would prefer red, but the green and white are nice too...

dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7596010

Have you looked at Shady Oaks for Pitcher plants?
Sorry Bellieg, I didn't see your post - yes, same wholesale prices as the TWL co-op here.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #7596354

Diane

just checked. It is Shady Lakes that deals in water plants, bogs plants etc.

Thank you so much though, I would not have thought to check :-)

This message was edited Mar 1, 2010 4:41 AM
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7596412

Shady oaks does some. We buy pitcher plants from there in another group I belong to:
http://www.shadyoaks.com/GeneratedItems/Pages/Perennials2.html
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2010
9:59 PM

Post #7597725

ooh... very nice!

Thanks

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America