Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Sewing and Quilting: Wounded warriors quilts. A project for Daves quilters????

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 19, Views: 159
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #7404945

I just saw this on CNN...Just really inspired me, Im looking for projects anyway. It looks like its been on a few times since the 20th, so some might have seen it.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/12/20/gif.soldiers.quilts/index.html

Totally off the subject of the video. Gardenglory MUST have one of those ironing set - ups she is using at the beginning of the video.

This message was edited Dec 28, 2009 6:11 PM

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #7405037

Pam, this is really neat! Love the quilt shown, noticed alot of the fabric is familiar to what I've seen around here in the shops. The ironing setup is a silicone 'hot pad' for irons, isn't it? I've seen the smaller thinner ones to hold an iron, but not one this thick... will have to do some looking on the net... Are you planning on making an entire quilt to send or looking for people to contribute to one?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #7405568

Pam, qwilter has been making quilts for the "quilts of valor" program ...similar to this...getting red, white, and blue blocks, in many of the swaps...

If you want to put them together...I am sure everyone would be willing to send you some blocks...Don't they just want the tops for this program???? have groups that put them together??? yes???

where as quilts of valor you can send tops, or completed quilts ..I believe...???
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #7407886

QOV has piecers & quilters. So folks send me their quilts & backing & I supply the batting & do the quilting. Then send them back to the quilter who finishes the quilt and sends it off to a donation POC. Lots of coordination.

I have indeed been using my RWB swap blocks for tops.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #7408115

Gosh, I dont know how I missed those swaps/that info. That would be perfect for me right now. I would even send batting.
I hate to sound so cluleless, but could someone maybe link me or tell me where I would go to find out the size info and particulars.

thanks thunder for the info
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #7408178

I'd be willing to donate my longarm quilting services as long as a meander pattern is ok. I'm still working on learning anything more challenging than that.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #7408358

here is the quilts of valor link: http://www.qovf.org/
June_2007
De Soto, MO

January 7, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #7436974

I have a niece in Afganistan. It's her 2 deployment. Her first was Irac. USS Air Force. They gave her a light weight like sheet blanket. The temp has been running between 0 and 20 degree in Afganistan. Don't know if you know this, but when they were sent to Afganistan, there were nowhere to put these kids. Some are in tents with these sheet blankets.
I am so glad someone has been so kind as to send quilts. I keep working at getting one done to send, but sickness keeps catching me. (Lung Cancer treatments).
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7442065

Here is a link to some awesome quilt patters designed for Quilts of Valor:
http://www.persimmonquilts.com/QOVMysteryHomePg.html

On top of being great patterns, they are also done in a Mystery Quilt format. So, unless you cheat & look at the finished pics, you never know what you are going to end up with.

And most give fabric reqs, and directions, for "scrappy" along with yardage.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #7484973

For anyone thinking of doing some Patriotic quilts, for any organization, JoAnn's has all cottons 40% off (some 50%). I found quite a few patriotic prints that I'll be using for these charity quilts.

Also, I offer free long arm quilting for any quilts being sent to these organizations. If you are interested, just contact me through dmail.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #7484981

Excellent, ill take a look, as I wanted to work on some of these. I will have to take advantage of your quilting help tho.
I have even saved scraps I would normally throw away, this past week. With the haiti situation, I figured there just might be someone, somewhere who can use them. All those little orphans, and old people from the nursing homes just sitting in their beds, with no walls and rubble all around.
If ANYTHING good comes out of this, I hope that it IS all the money ppl have been sending all these years...actually gets to the people from hence forth. yada yada.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7485025

There are just so many organizations out there that welcome these quilted gifts. From nursing homes to the soldiers. I also save all my useable size pieces to make the scrap quilts. Some of the ones I posted last week will be donated. Keeps my scrap pile down and does some good for someone less fortunate.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7485191

I just "ditto" all the statements above. I save scraps but find myself saving things I would normally has thrown out before. Surprising how they can be used after all.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7485235

I'm wondering if there's something we can do for the Haiti orphans that will soon be arriving in the USA. There's so much destruction right now that sending anything directly to Haiti would be impossible, but maybe later on this year? Quake Quilts maybe?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7485267

I like that idea Sondra--children size would be perfect.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #7485321

I know there is an organization that just brough over a lot of orphans.
I need to contact my friend who runs a charitable org out of haiti. I'm sure he must have some good POCs.

just start sewing now...
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7485354

I have more older child and preteen fabrics than I do baby stuff so I'll start on some for older kids. I do have the long arm for quilting if needed. I'm sure I can make something out of what I have in the scrap tub.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #7485499

Are we talking just blankets, quilts or simple dresses and shirts also?
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #7485710

I'm sticking with quilts for now. The Red Cross will most likely have donation drives for clothing soon.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #7490986

for those of you doing the quilts of valor / wounded warrior projects ...thought you might like these

http://www.whittlesfabrics.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?cart_id=6736549.22500.s0&lastmenu=&product=MPatriot

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America