Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: submersible pump size?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 7, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7405645

Hi again all,
I'm trying to figure out what pump to get when I need it.
Does any of these at this link look like they'll work?
I have that smallest one, the 66 GPH one, and its small, its like an inch by an inch. I don't want to go all out on one on size and price.
I'm not a scrooge or anything, but I'd like to keep the pump reasonable in size and price for many reasons, my economy being the biggest one. Price does matter, and we definitely want an adequate one. But, we don't want one just because its big enuff. From what I gather, it doesn't take a lot to start some water flowing down some rocks for a semblence of a water-fall. A big consideration is that we don't want to increase our light bill by a whole lot. Some of these pumps at Harbor Freight say "clean" water or "dirty" water. If a pump seems like a good price but it says "clean" water, is it necessarily gonna fail in a water-pond? I'd sure like to try the 190GPH pump with a 59 inch lift, but it says "clean" water, is that adequate, or maybe disposable in a water-pond?
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=submersible+pumps&Submit=Go
Thanks

On another note my grandmother had Koi that came up missing from time to time. I think cats and other wildlife might get in there and help themselves. Sometimes when I'd get home late (her pond was by my door), there'd be a Great Horned Owl perched near the pond..lol And Koi aren't cheap! : )
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #7405694

First...what size pond do you have? Do you know how many gallons? You then have to take into consideration that every inch you go up, to the top of where you want the water to trickle down from, you will lose water flow.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #7405879

I don't have a pond yet. I'm thinking of visualizing it somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 gallons. I'll prolly start digging some this Winter on decent days where the ground isn't froze or otherwise inclement. I like the 2 pool arrangement (something like Dax's). That way I could have something of a waterfall or just water spilling into the lower pond. I could do something like the pink waterlilies in the top pond and yellow lilies in the bottom pond.
Maybe I could put panty-hose or something around a little cheap pump that says "clean" water?
Thanks
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
7:08 AM

Post #7409018

Hmm I would think you could wrap it or something like that to sort of pre-filter it beforehand so that it doesn't hurt the pump. Sounds to me like it might work, but then I don't know anything lol

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #7409277

That is encouraging, thanks Frillylily.
You don't know anything? Nonsense! You always seem very helpful and informative. Everybody starts somewhere!
I don't even have mine started yet! At least you have the hole mostly dug. : ) I'm just in the saying I'm gonna do it stage..lol I realize that everybody could have experience from other times and other areas. Unseen like this, its hard to please everyone I've learned, in the past. Speaking for myself only, unfortunately in another forum, there may have been a misunderstanding between offering facts and helpful information and being a know it all..lol
Maybe being from Missouri makes it harder to be convincing to folks..lmbo

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #7409865

No being from the show me state, makes it harder to convince ME LOL
shrubbs
Beavertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7410314

I would figure out your pond size and desires first and then go for the pump.

A 1,000 gallon pond should move at least 1,500 gph to 3,000 gph (or more) depending on fish, plants, stream, waterfall, head pressure, etc. You never want to purchase a pump that is maxed out (i.e. 1,000 gallon and 1,000 gph pump) because you will tax and eventually burnout the pump.

Another example is a saltwater aquarium. A 55 gallon tank should have about 10x the amount of water moving for proper filtration. This means a 55 gallon tank should have at least a 550 gph pump. I believe this is a good comparison because of all of the various elements that can change an outdoor pond.

If you would like to keep costs down by using a small pump then I would recommend a 4' wide x 1.5' deep tub or prefabricated pond liner. From what I have found from our customers and my research is that the average pond (we are talking a wide range here) will increase your electric bill about $30.00-50.00 a month (and that's before the wonderful new 2010 increase we have to look forward to - ours is raising 29.something%)

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7410358

Hmmm.. thats a good strategy. I may reconsider the size and do like a 500 to 1,000 gal. pond, I may not be able to do the 2 pool arrangement. I may try that 190 gph pump first and see how long it lasts and/or if its not doing the job I may just use it in a barrel water-feature maybe, and break one off for a larger pump for the pond. I am hoping that 190 gph one does okay because its on sale at Harbor Freight until Jan 4th for $11.99 and I have a 25 percent off coupon.
Being jobless stinks I tell you! lol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America