Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Caudiciforms: Question about transplanting

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 9, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7405656

I bought a Desert Rose tonight at my local Lowe's. It's in a 3 gallon pot and is just labeled "White Desert Rose". I took it out of the (very soggy) soil to clean it up and get it in more suitable soil. I have a good mix that I use, so I'm not too worried about that.

My question is this: Should I let the caudex and roots dry out before I transplant it? I cut some of the roots off that looked grey and squishy. I figured these were waterlogged and would die anyway.

The picture is of the soil line in the pot it came in. I am going to try to expose more of the roots when I repot it.

Can anyone answer this question? Thanks, Jennifer

Thumbnail by jlp222
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #7405707

Also, ALL Of the small "feeder roots" were damaged and I cut these away. There are still some roots, but not the small ones. Will this plant be OK? I can't believe Lowe's had this outside in Louisiana at this time of year! It's going to freeze tonight!
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

December 29, 2009
8:02 AM

Post #7406121

Hi Jennifer, if you cut any root off do to roting or any reason I recommend you leave it dry out for tow days before reporting it, this way wound can dry and seal them self and avoid further chances of rotting. most likely some or all leaves may drop off but don't worry, that's normal until plant adjust to new soil a conditions its in now. once you have replanted it, fertilize it and don't water it again until it needs it, soil should be moist but more to the dryer side. Hope this help you.

Your Friend Wilfred

PS. if you happen to have SUPERthrive, mix one table spoon to a gallon of water adding the fertilizer to it and water the entire plant with it very well.
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #7407221

Thanks Wilfred. I do have some Superthrive and will do that today.

Do you think I should use some root stimulator on the roots that are left?

Thanks again, Jennifer
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

December 29, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7407499

Just the SUPERthrive with the fertilizer will do the trick for you as long as you water the whole plants and soil it's planted in Jennifer.

Your Friend Wilfred
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7407935

Wilfred, one more question: How much Superthrive should I use in a 24 ounce spray bottle?
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

December 30, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7408254

I usually use a table spoon in one gallon of water the first time, and than half the douse from there on every two month, but I have quite a few plants so nothing is ever left over, once you mix it you have to use it, you can't save whats left over. So you might consider making 1/2 table spoon in half a gallon of water the first time and 1/4 table spoon to a gallon of water from there on.

Your Friend Wilfred
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7408643

jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2010
1:14 AM

Post #7588109

Just wanted to update:

I left the Adenium out for 2-3 days before repotting it. All of the roots looked stiff and rot free. When I repotted it, I did a soil drench as Wilfred recommended with the Superthrive.

In the next few weeks, the plant lost all but about 4 leaves on each branch. About 2 weeks ago, a bud began to form, and looks like it will be blooming any day. I am assuming that the plant likes it's conditions if it is blooming?

I still have not watered again, but it looks happy.

I know, I'm a bad plant mom since I didn't post any pictures, but I will soon. ;-)
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #7588991

Blooming can be a signal of good or bad, and this time of year, it's tough to tell the difference with Adenium in zones that push the limit

A plant will produce blooms as a signal of good health and prosperity, but will also produce blooms as a form of self preservation. This is especially true in plants like Bromeliads. An over abundance of flowers is a sure sign of parent plant deterioration.

If your caudex is still firm and has a healthy color, you're fine. Just keep an eye on watering habits, and as soon as this crazy weather ends, get it out in full direct sun, for as many hours as you can find. Once the heat hits, regular watering can take place, and the plant will benefit tremendously. For 8b, I'd say end of April to first of May, but who knows with this crazy weather.

Good luck.

Chris

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America