Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Yard to vase - Winter 2009-2010 series

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 86, Views: 415
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2009
7:34 AM

Post #7406109

The winter solstice is behind us, the days are getting a little longer, and there is less and less color in the garden. But, if we are lucky, there are some hardy plants that will bloom in the winter months, Please post your winter blooming plants as they are growing in your yard and and how you use them in the home. Alternative materials other than flowers are welcomed.

For me, I was thrilled when I discover this variety of Kniphofia at the UC Davis arboretum sale 5 years ago - "Christmas Cheer." And true to it's name, it has bloomed every Christmas here for the last four years.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2009
7:37 AM

Post #7406112

The tall stalks makes a striking arrangement that lasts quite a few days.

Hope everyone is having a good Holiday season!

Thumbnail by soilsandup

bloomheaven
Southern
United States

January 3, 2010
1:32 AM

Post #7421415

I like those! I think I have some seeds for it I got in a swap. I should've investigated sooner, your arrangement is gorgeous! They're on my to do list!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7422569

I keep hoping to find some blooms on my purple loropetalum but nothing so far. Need to check my pussywillow for some cuts. Did notice last week,that the forsythia are trying to bloom.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #7425285

Thanks, bloomheaven. I hope you find those seeds - it is a great plant. If you don't find them, I'll let a few of my blooms go to seed and see if there are any viable ones and send you some. I normally divide them at the crown when it gets too big, so I have never tried to start any from seeds.

Bigred - Pussy willows would make great arrangements. Can't wait to see yours. My forsythia are far from ready to bloom. Yours must in full sun??
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7425822

We had three days of 25 degrees here mid-December and most of my tender perennials are damaged. There is not much blooming at the moment, but this is prime time for my dwarf Meyers lemon tree. There is a mixture of ready to pick lemons, almost ready, and some very green ones. I get some lemons pretty much year round. I had a strand of clear Christmas lights on it to keep it from being frost-damaged.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7425824

One of the things that I like to do is to put some in a nice crystal bowl, and give it as a Christmas present.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2010
8:34 AM

Post #7425827

But in keeping with the "vase" theme for this year, I wanted to try something different. Started with some lemons in a large vase.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7425828

Then I added some fronds from my cycad plant.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7425830

The Cycad leaves last a long time - over two weeks. Here is a photo of the whole plant from last year.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7426105

looks like a yellow pineapple when it's not enlarged...LOL

Hope to get out to check for some pussywillow to cut today. I hate not having real cuts in the house.

Need to take down Christmas decorations down. Will miss the decorations so guess I need to drag out my silks and make some arrangements to take their place.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 8, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7440926

this is the bouquet I was sent by my work after my father died...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 8, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7440929

and from my Dog Club friends...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7444596

I am sorry to hear the sad news... It is a comfort to be remembered by friends.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #7447961

Week 2 of the New Year and we have had mostly foggy days. Camellias grow very well in the Sacramento area (aka the Camellia Capitol) and the C. sansaquas are the earlier winter bloomers. The ones that I have were at their peak at the beginning of December, but it will continue to have some blooms for a few more weeks. I think this may be "White Doves."

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7447968

This one may be Kanjiro - I have the notes somewhere when I first bought the plants, but will have to dig deep to verify it.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7447969

Floating blooms is a quick and easy way to display the short-stemmed camellias.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7467669

Altho I am still in a deep freeze, my calla lilies in the solar room are starting to bloom. Helps are a minus 0 temps, snow, and fog. Our temps have climbed to the 20's...LOL

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #7467676

Now looking at the photo I should of added some green stuff, but on the table I didn't notice it looking so bare. (PS, the Christmas decorations are gone now this was right before Christams...LOL)

Thumbnail by happgarden

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
2:35 AM

Post #7490103

How wonderful to have a solar room to get early blooms. I had a solarium in my previous house, but no room in the present house. I just got back from my cousin's wedding in Maui so I thought I would post a photo of what would be in my yard if I was living in Maui. This was a flower farm that we visited, but this type of ginger was blooming everywhere - people's yards, resort landscaping, etc.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
2:36 AM

Post #7490107

We were able to bring a few bunches home so I added a few of my cycad leaves to make a simple arrangement. The flowers did take a beating as carry-ons in the plane.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
2:41 AM

Post #7490121

But, because I do not live in Maui, LoL, I will have to do with what I have in my own yard. Not too many flowers now, so I went looking for suitable greens. In addition to the cycad, I had a few foxtail ferns.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
2:43 AM

Post #7490126

Can't remember the species of this Euphorbia

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
2:45 AM

Post #7490130

or the name of this plant - the leaves are slightly fragrant and finely cut. It came with the house when we bought it and is good as a filler.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
2:49 AM

Post #7490136

During this past week while I was gone, we had a huge series of storms in California. I cut the greens and make an arrangement before I left. So, here is what I have for week 3 of the New Year.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2010
4:32 AM

Post #7490455

Beautiful ginger. Did you get to sneak any of the plants home? My husband I use to travel alot and Maui of all the places I have been was by far my favorite. I hope the storms have not affected you. I need to walk our landscape and make sure nothing has been heaved out of the ground. Love my solar room for many reasons but for the plants all winter is one of the favorite reasons. I have hibiscus blooming, and calla lilies, and hopefully before long brugs.

I sometimes forget that greenery by it self can make beautiful arrangements to sit around.

Hey, where are all of our southern hemisphere folks at? Everything here outside is a shade of brown, please show me some color...LOL
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 24, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #7490483

how bout this...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 24, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #7490565

Rose 'Yours Always'
on a dull day or at dusk it almost glows

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 24, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7490570

my poppies are still adding a vibrant splash to the garden

Thumbnail by dalfyre

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7490590

What a lovely shade of red on that rose. Would love to see how you use it in an arrangement!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 24, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7490674

nemesia still going strong...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2010
4:11 AM

Post #7493629

Teresa - do you get seeds from your nemesia?
Joyce - nope, I was good and did not sneak anything home - I was upfront with the ginger blossoms, and there were no problems with that.
Bigred - did you ever cut some pussywillows to bring indoors? I don't have ready access to any where I Iive.

Week 4 - in zone 9a, we are able to keep the cymbidiums outdoor, with some frost protection. I have a few in the ground by the house, but most of mines are in pots so that I can put them on the porch, or move around as needed. This white/maroon one is the earliest to bloom - sometime as early as in December. Some of the later blooming ones don't bloom until March or April.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #7493642

And the vase - I put one of the single blooms in a florist water-pick thingy so that I can insert it anywhere in the vase. Among the greenery is a few leaves from the Hellebore foetidis (sp?)

Thumbnail by soilsandup

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 25, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7495915

soils - yes the nemesia set seed last year, I didn't dead head in time & am so glad.
When I did I used the 'instant compost method', a shallow trench filled with the dead heads & covered with soil...
well I got seedlings, and one of them was a completely different colour to the nemesia I bought.
And there is also one that is the same colour as ones being sold as Nemesia 'Rose' but I never bought any of that...
anyway I now have four colours plus a two tone one that was being sold as a perennial nemesia & is not thriving like the other two did.
It was a far more sickly orphan than the blue & the white.
Pictured is the 'Rose'

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 25, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #7495975

well on closer inspection I have another new colour...
started out with a 'not quite white', now I have noticed a pale pink/hint of lavender as well.
Very odd as I was sure it was the not quite white I took cuttings from but now looks like there is only one in that shade & the others are a darker hue.
Unless ph affects the colour, but the pure whites have not changed no matter where they are planted.
pic - white nemesia

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 25, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7495983

not quite white...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 25, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7495990

mauve tint?

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 25, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7495996

last one... two tone

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 27, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7501258

ok - you wanted to see my roses in an arrangement...
so whaqt would set the roses off nicely?
and this is what I picked

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 27, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #7501259

there was already a vase of hydrangeas at work so I removed the wilted ones & added the roses & white hydrangea.
I thought it looked ok ^_^

Thumbnail by dalfyre

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #7501312

Very nice dal

I only have a few stems of pussywillow in a vase this time of year
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7501972

I love the vase and those roses are wonderful.
I really like them with the hydrangea's. Is the rose a good bloomer all summer?
I have started a rose garden but I am going to have to restart it because I made some mistakes...surprise surprise...LOL. Great thing about gardening you can always start over.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 27, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7502557

Yours Always is a good rose, blooms repeatedly all season, even after the first frosts!
It doesnt seem to get too much in the way of pests & diseases...
the scent comes out on warm days, not strong but pleasant.
When cut or on cold days I don't smell any scent at all.
The colour is just lovely, especially on over cast days or at dusk, it just glows.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7502786

That rose is certainly a keeper. I only have 4 roses, and don't have much room for more, but I love the color and the fact that it is a repeat bloomer even after the first frosts.

That's a perfect arrangement for our 4th of July.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2010
3:11 AM

Post #7503979

I didn't even notice the colors for the 4th. I may have to see if I can find that rose. When I retire...we have a public garden with a gazebo and I have already approached the city council to see if I can start planting flowers (roses) around it. Down in the big city there is a garden called Loose Park. It has a beautiful rose garden and every year the brides line up around 3am to get registered to have their weddings in the park. I don't see any reason we can't do that here and we have a beautiful gazebo to go with it.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 28, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7504521

I love really deep red almost black roses but they do not photograph well.
I wasn't too sure about Yours Always at first but have come to appreciate what a great colour it is in the garden & in the vase.
I have been given Fond Memories a few weeks ago & it is still in the pot but has new buds coming out will take some photos & see if I can use it in an arrangement.
It had one bloom when my boss gave it to me and it was a pretty pale pink.
I really need to get it planted soon but have not had decent weather or sufficient good health to get digging.
When my boss lost her sister-in-law to cancer a couple of months ago I gave her a white clematis, she returned the favour with the Fond Memories rose after my father died.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7517798

Teresa - giving or receiving a remembrance gift of a plant is a wonderful idea.

Week 5 in California brings about a second flush of blooms for the jonquils. Here is a patch of the yellow ones. The paperwhites are almost done blooming.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7517805

I am not too crazy about the smells of the jonquils, so this arrangement will not stay in the house for long. The Christmas cheer is still going strong, so I added one to fill the arrangement out.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #7517996

soils,
Oo! I love the scent of jounqils! I can't wait for Erlicheer to bloom so I can bring some in. To me this one has the best scent but then may just be because it's the first to bloom and by then I am so ready for spring...Oo...and hyacinths...love the smell.

Paper whites bloomed very early this year and right in the middle of their bloom cycle,we got low temps in the teens...bub-bye blooms.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 2, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7521372

new arrangement, penstemon, sweet pea, golden marjorum.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #7540744

Bigred - jonquils are funny. Some people love it like you, and others don't like them at all. I know of few plants that generate this wide range of reactions.
Theresa - love the colors in your arrangement. I am afraid I am stuck with green for this week.

Week 6 - the rain has wreaked havoc on a lot of the camellias in this area and causing the petals to turn brown. One plant that doesn't seem to be fazed by all this rain is the Helleborus foetidus. It started blooming I think in November, and the blooms will last for another month or two.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #7540745

The stalks are thick with lots of side branches so you don't need very many for an arrangement. My other hellebore - lenten rose - is starting to bloom now too. But they won't reach their prime for a couple of weeks.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 9, 2010
2:46 AM

Post #7543450

I have hellebores - one flowered last season but I don't know what colours the others are - no blooms last year when I planted them.
Hope they flower this time around
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7560203

Good luck with your hellebores in the coming year, Teresa. My two lenten rose hellebore patches have shrunken considerably in the past two years. I have a bunch of seedlings growing all around, but they are really tiny still.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7560207

Happy Chinese New Year, everyone. I didn't realize how late it was - I have less than 15 minutes left.

And just in time for Chinese new year, my flowering quince is in full bloom. Chinese New year last year was at the end of January, and there was only a few blooms opened. But what a difference two weeks makes - here is the flowering quince in it's full glory. I must have trimmed about 20% of the branches off to keep the plant in check. I love the old-fashioned tall ones.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2010
7:50 AM

Post #7560209

Since this is too early for peach blossoms, the flowering quince has become the traditional flowers for Chinese New Year here in California- bringing luck and prosperity.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7560212

And since we can never have too much luck, I made another arrangement. May this year of the tiger bring you all peace and happiness.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7564216

Oh Dianne, soon here please. My helleborus are buried under 60" of snow plus all that has been shoveled on top of that 60" My quince bush does have tiny buds on it, but will be quite a while yet. So lovely to see yours, I just love quince!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7564674

Very pretty. Nothing here blooming, bitter bitter cold. I did go to the lawn and garden show...only thing I purchased were 3 used vases...LOL You all have had quite an effect on me... :D
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
12:42 AM

Post #7567924

I LOVE used vases - I always make a beeline for that area of the thrift stores. Some of my favorite vases are thrift store finds for about $3-5.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #7578117

Week 8 - I am lucky enough to live in what is sometimes known as the "Camellia" capitol of the world. The early C. japonicas have been in bloom since January. The sansaquas have finished blooming for awhile now. We have had a wet winter, and that has wrecked havoc on a lot of the blooms. Here is a not very good photo of a white one that I have.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2010
4:10 AM

Post #7578129

It was hard to get a bunch of blooms that did not have brown splotches on them - the result of all this wet weather that we have been having. Considering all the snow that has hit a large part of the country, I have no reason to complain. We had really good springlike weather for the last 10 days or so and I finally got enough good ones to cut for an arrangement.

Happgarden - that vase (I think it is a wine decanter) was one of my thrift store buys!

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7579273

LOL love the vase it is beautiful. I am cleaning cabinets today (since we had snow drifts so big I can't get work...darn...LOL) so I can put all my vases together.

Beautiful blooms. No ground here to be seen, everything is still fast asleep.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 24, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7583545

Compassion, cutting from my Mum's garden

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 24, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #7583557

Compassion is the largest, Fond Memories is the next one in size & Patricia the bud.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7583983

Compassion is a beatiful rose...another for my list...love it!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #7598970

I love those shades of peach/pink/salmon. I just wish I had a bigger yard.

Week 9 in California - daffodils are dependable harbingers of spring. I dug up my patch of Dolly Mollingers last year and they are recovering. I am hoping that this patch will increase in size next year.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7598980

And here they are in a vase, mixed with some thalias and a couple of other colors of daffodils. I was experimenting with a couple of vases. Here is the first one.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7598985

And the second one. I couldn't decide which one I liked better, so I posted the two of them. I thought about adding some greens, but decided against it.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7599190

They are both lovely, I can see why you couldn't decide.
The first pics of spring.
I have a huge yard, acres, the problem, you can't afford to fill it and you can't physically afford to take care of it, but you keep adding to it all the time...LOL Biggest problem is removing the grass...ughhhhh! Rented one of those sod strippers one time, and went all around my house...look so easy on tv and it was, but what I didn't think about was having to lift that sod and put it somewhere to compost! LOL That was the hard part and thank goodness for a bucket on a tractor, but still back breaking when you do so much, but you have to get your monies worth from renting...LOL
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2010
10:27 PM

Post #7622977

Happgarden - did you do anything special after stripping the sod and before you started to plant other things? I am thinking about getting rid of some of my grass area too, but it is small potatoes compared to what you did. I will probably hand dig a bit at a time.

Flower of the week for week 10 is another camellia, in honor of camellia week here in Sacramento. The yearly camellia show was this past weekend, but I did not go so no photos to post. I am amazed at the variety and sizes of camellias there are.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7622980

And here it is in a vase - actually a large erlenmeyer flask.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7623893

camellia, are beautiful! Do they smell? I have seen pics before but I don't think I have ever seen one live...such a sheltered life...LOL

I was a new gardner when I was watching too many gardening shows on TV and stripped the grass...LOL I dug the soil loose but now that I have gotten a little wiser on some things, I would of amended the soil alot more at the time I stripped the grass before planting. But it turned out ok in the end. Now the big problem is it started out sun and the little trees have grown into big shade trees with lots of roots...gardening is ever changing...
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7630994

Lovely Diann!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7644409

Joyce - camellias typically do not smell. There are a few that is slightly fragrant, but they are rare. You are right - gardening is an ever changing art. My yard is so different than what it was 10 years ago.

Thanks, Candee. Are you thawed out yet???
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7644422

This is supposed to be my entry for week 11, but I got sidetracked. I took the photo of the plant a few days ago. This is a Chasmanthe. I got a few small corms with small stalks attached a couple of years ago. I was visiting a friend in the bay area in February, and this blooming plant caught my eye. It grew into a nice-sized patch in 2 years - I have heard that they can get invasive so I will be deadheading religiously.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #7644431

By the time I got to picking the flowers today, they were way past their prime. So I added some freesia to the mix. I actually have a yellow chasmanthe that I planted years ago, and it is definitely not invasive. It always gives me 2 stalks of flowers per year (which you see in the vase too). I need to move it somewhere else to see if it will do better.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7644447

And lastly, happy first day of spring everyone!!!! and on that note, this series will end. I started it two years ago, and it has been a lot of fun. It has made me focus on meeting my goal of getting something from my garden every week to bring indoors. I have limited myself to buying plants that will fill in the late summer and winter months, and noticed greens that I can use from my garden in weeks where there were no blooms. And I have enjoyed seeing flowers from your gardens and how you make use of them in your homes. Nothing shouts out "Spring!" like a bed of freesias.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7645492

Soilandsand, I will miss seeing your postings. You have given me more than you would realize. I am planting a cutting garden just because of your series. Thank you so much, and so sorry to see it end.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7651697

Joyce (I hope I have your name right) - you have made my day. What a nice comment! You will have many happy years of gardening in your huge yard. Please keep us posted once spring comes your way.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7671600

Since I volunteered to host Easter dinner for 12, I needed to do something to welcome the family. Only crocus, daffs, and forsythia have come to life here. I left this old planter on the back porch all winter with all the dead stuff from last summer still in it. I decided the old planter could use a facelift for Easter. I cut lots of budding branches from lilacs, forsythia, and willows along with evergreens, and put Daffodils in water tubes. Probably will have to replace the daffodils by Sunday, but more should be blooming by then. I think I'll see what else I can stick in other pots around the yard to say "welcome". I had fun.

Thumbnail by pastime

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 1, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7672366

what a great idea, I have daffs starting to come up & we are still in Autumn here...
they will peek above the ground through winter - seldom have snow here but do get some cracking frosts.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #7673621

Sounds like you don't have a very tough winter. Glad ours is over.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2010
12:07 AM

Post #7676217

Pastime - What a great idea for an arrangement. The greenery makes it nice and full, and just the right touch of color with the daffodils.

Theresa - we had two weeks of great weather, and now we are in the midst of a series of storms originating from Alaska and knocked us back down to the forties and fifty degrees. I feel like we are heading into winter instead of being in spring.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #7677649

OK, soilandsand does this mean we twisted your keying fingers to keep this going? ;D
It is just a wonderful series...
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 3, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7677659

I just got a neat add on to FireFox - Weather Bug & it tells me that it is 50.0F here today...
we use Celcius & i am hopeless with conversions so this way I can tell my US friends what the temp is & they will know what I mean.
it is grey & drizzly & southerly conditions today, predicted high of 59F.
we have had a couple of warm days with 65F...
NZ is described as being temperate but further North is more sub tropical.
Not very often frosty way up the top of the Nth Is.
in CHCH we get down to -7C frosts sometimes.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 3, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7677669

just spotted that I can change between Farenheit & Celcius on Weather Bug so today is 10C - yep that is getting cooler.
I remember living in Brisbane - that would have been considered a midwinter over night low & we would have our flannelette pj's on & hottie to go to bed with...
and by that I mean a hot water bottle!
Here in ChCh we consider ourselves lucky if the mid winter high for the day gets into double figures :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America