Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gladiolus : G. communis sp byzantinus planting depth; vole protection

Communities > Forums > Gladiolus
bookmark
Forum: Gladiolus Replies: 3, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
zonkel
Florence, MS
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7409646

I bought some Gladiolus communis sp. byzantinus on sale. This is my first time trying to grow glads; the depth to plant is listed as 6-10" deep, spacing varies 3-5". What would be the best depth for a silty clay loam with a fragipan at about 10 inches; should I plant them a bit shallower since the clay should keep the stalks more upright than a sandier soil?

I also have voles. Are the corms particularly tasty to voles? If so, what would be options on protection? I already have 2 cats and snakes from the woods working on the problem and don't want to poison them. My property is bordering woods so total eradication is not likely.

Thanks,
Susan in Jackson Mississippi
zone 8/7b
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7899063

I just saw your post and had hoped to see some answers.
Can't believe not a single person picked up on this.
I don't know about the depth, etc. I purchased some last year, but then never planted them because the voles are so bad in my yard. I made the mistake of killing 2 rather large black snakes (after they each got Bluebird nestlings). They had probably been keeping the voles in check and I hate that I did that. I'm on who tells others not to kil black snakes. my love for those Bluebirds just made be freak though.
Hope your glads did well!

Sheri
zonkel
Florence, MS
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7899108

Hi Sheri!

I completely understand about killing the snakes after losing bluebirds!

I haven't seen the plants yet... A few spears of leaves coming thru, but I'm not sure if those are the glads or the crocosmia I planted in a wildflower meadow... Hopefully they will still come up.

I just saw a large spotted kingsnake while I was weeding this week. They are black with yellow or cream speckles on the back, yellow or cream underneath. I was very glad to see it; I had killed a copperhead last year and am glad kingsnakes eat poisonous snakes as well as voles (and unfortunately, bluebirds...).

Our triangular lot borders 1/10 mile (528') of gorgeous oak-beech-hickory woods, so I guess I have to put up with the mole tunnels and voles eating things.

The cats bring their kill (and pieces of their kill) to our doorstep, and I see alot of dead voles , but there are plenty more where those came from.

I'd love more bluebirds and to put out feeders, but I'm afraid I'd be baiting the cats' hunting grounds. The birds are doing well anyway, we have LOTS of them in our neighborhood, thank goodness!

Anyway, I may have been feeding the voles expensive meals- sigh.

Susan

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #7899302

Hi Susan,
I love Crocosmia! Haven't ever had any, but once saw a georgeous patch of the red ones. My garden is mostly themed woodland wildflower . Slowly though I am adding some sun lovers and bulbs or corms. Things htat attract Hummingbirds (red) is what I am trying to get. there are many bird friendly berrying shrubs on my property.
I have nearly stopped putting bird seed out as there is a new neighbor whose cats stalk my yard. grrr
Have a lovely day,
Sheri

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gladiolus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gladiolus planting CountryGardens 48 Jan 11, 2010 11:27 AM
The Glad show has begun! wallaby1 156 Mar 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Possible plant support coop - perhaps for Glads? 4paws 58 May 30, 2007 7:12 PM
Brent and Becky glads bbrookrd 17 Mar 25, 2007 12:22 PM
Photos of Glads in the house 4paws 23 Apr 14, 2007 12:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America