Cure for the winter blahs- Pretty Pictures 2

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1062270/

Please share your eye candy from the growing season, and lets dream together of warmer days :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, Neil. That is a beautiful photo. Are those Geraniums in front of the Lamb's Ears?

All year I look forward to the sight of this Aruncus. It grows in almost total darkness.

Thumbnail by stormyla
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh my. Here we go again. Not fair, Storms, so far there's only thing I haven't wanted - out of what, maybe 50 plants you've posted lately?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, Now it can't be that bad, Sheryl.

Bad? No, it's good, great! >groan< ....

Oh, and Polly is the other one. And Neal. And ge, pirl, and .... all ya'll are bad for my purse.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Yep Stormy, those are G.biokovo, such a wonderful little Geranium! Whether they're in rich, moist soil in partial shade or full blazing sun in dry soil, they just do their thing without complaint. That little combination is one of my favorites!

Sheryl, always ask me before you spend money! I'm the cheapest gardener on the planet, LOL, and if I can propagate something for ya, happy to do so :-)

edited to correct- those are Geranium biokovo 'Karmina'

This message was edited Dec 30, 2009 8:03 PM

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

gemini_sage

Where did you get the G. biokovo? I would like to find some for my garden for spring.
I love those type of geraniums.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I originally got them from Bluestone Perennials. They've multiplied beautifully, so I've stuck them here and there throughout the garden. If you'd like some for postage or trade in spring, just let me know :-)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Yes, I'd love some. Look at my have list and see if I have anything you are interested in.
I'm adding to the list frequently.

You're a doll, Neal. I wouldn't know where to start, lol!

Has anyone ever had any luck propagating the Clematis plants? I tried last summer, no go.

Great photos - you aren't good for my pocketbook either.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Neil, I would have never thought that was Biokovo. Mine are very white and all of the photos I've ever seen of them are white.

Thumbnail by stormyla

Mary - that is so pretty...

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Does anyone grow Geranium St. Ola? I had it last year for the first time that I bought from Avant. It did well for me, now to see if it comes back.

Quoting:
Geranium cantabrigiense 'St. Ola' 1 $7.95
From dark wine buds pop open white blossoms on short 8" stems over a period of six weeks, beginning in late May. Foliage is nearly evergreen and makes a lovely groundcover. Oh, did we mention it tolerates dry shade?

Zone: 5
Exposure: sun/part shade
Color: white

Price: $7.95

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Another that I like that I have had for 2 seasons is G. pratense Double Jewel. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Stormyla, I just saw that the pink one is actually GERANIUM Biokovo Karmina while the white one is just GERANIUM Biokovo on Bluestone web site. Pati

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Stormy, I was mistaken, it was G.biokovo 'Karmina'. I've got both, but constantly confuse them, LOL.

Patti, I grow the regular magenta Geranium cantabrigiense, but no named or white varieties. 'St.Ola' is beautiful!

I love how both 'St.Ola' and G.biokovo have the subtle touches of pink.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

That second pic is really nice, Patty. Not that the other one is any slouch, but that's really pretty.

But I'm a little concerned - has your plant completely disappeared? My Johnson's blue and (I think) sanguinea still have foliage on them and I'm a little cooler than you are. Maybe not all of them are evergreen?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Ha Pagancat. I live to enable.

What is the sedum in the top pic, Neal? Pretty.

Love that aruncus, Mary. That is white!

Patti, I grow St Ola, does at well as Biokovo and Karmina, and they all go together.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Eupatorium Gateway with Joe White in the back.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Polly that's 'Black Jack' Sedum in the first pic, and I'm kinda thinking it came from you a few years ago :-). Love the Eupatoriums!

Well, Polly, consider your life fulfilled, lol! Those Eupatoriums are luscious - they grow wild down here, but I assume that's an improved cultivar?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, it tis, Sheryl. It grows wild here, too. There are tons of named cultivars of eupatorium, and they are soooooo nice!

Ahem, Neal, my Blackjack is not nearly that nice looking.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Polly, That Eupatorium is so pretty and looks wonderful with the grasses. What is that pink flower on the distant right?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. Phlox Nicky.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I find Geraniums to be tricky to choose the right ones.This summer I added about 10 new varieities. Some grow up to 20- 24" tall and others are the low spreader types. I think some of them didn't make it through that 6 weeks of no rain in the summer. It will be interesting to see which come up next year. I got quite a few nice varieites of a good size from Edelweiss Perennials.

This Geranium "Pink Penny", was put in just after Labor Day and it bloomed right through October. It is supposed to spread up to 4' and stay less than 12" tall. As the weather turned cooler, the blooms got deeper in color. This photo is from the end of September, but the color got much darker in October.

Thumbnail by stormyla

Ooo - I like Edelweiss' "6 plants for less" stuff. Appeals to the frugal but piggy side of me.... I had no idea there were so many of these geraniums. Or hardy cyclamen.

Edited to add:

Wow, I can see where you get a lot of your stuff, Storms.

Has anyone had any experience with the Kaffir Lily, Schizostylis?

This message was edited Dec 31, 2009 2:57 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Coronation Anthem, Nepeta Walkers Low and Calamagrostis Overdam.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's a beautiful combination, Polly. I planted some of the Walker's Low for the first time this summer. It didn't seem to get more than a foot tall. Will it be taller next year?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Probably. Walkers Low is an arching variety Mine isn't able to arch so much as it's in a crowded bed. Mine is about two feet tall. Could also be the angle of the picture making it look taller.

Mary

it will be taller next year. This was the 2nd year for mine and it was about 1 1/2' tall by 2' wide. Right now, mine is drooping over after the weather we have had, and I am wondering if I should cut it back or leave it until Spring.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You can still get to your garden? Lucky girl!

So far..... we had 2 inches of snow today and the possibility of 1 inch of snow every day for the next 7 days. At least the farther out they go with the forecasts the more remote the possibility of them being accurate.... I am already hoping for a heatwave of some sort....

I got these allium flavum in a co op in the fall of 2008. Wishing I had put in more. They remind me of fireworks.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are unique. They do look like fireworks. Cool.

We have about six inches of snow now, so the garden is history until late March, early April.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Carolyn22, Love the allium flavum. I planted 10 of them but I don't remember seeing them last summer. I may have lost them, which is a hard thing to do with a allium.

Here is Geranium Orion with TBI Orinoco Flow with Sib Giggles in the back ground and a not yet eradicated yellow flag. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Stormy, Pink Penny is delightful!

Carolyn, those Alliums are fantastic!

Patti

I really like the different types of iris with the Geranium Orion. They all seem to go well together.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Polly, I came across another taller gold foliage perennial. Here is Agastache "Golden Jubilee".

http://www.dianeseeds.com/agastache-golden-jubilee.html

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I like that one, Mary! I love agastache anyway.

I don't do much at all by seeds. Do you?

I did throw the copius amount of poppy seeds I got from Jo Ann, Jack, and the ones I purchased before we got too much snow out there, so I have high hopes for them.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Some years I sow a lot of seeds, other years less. This will be a big year for seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.