Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Need help with another plant ID

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 20, Views: 242
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2001
4:05 AM

Post #14461

This one has left me clueless! Anyone know it? I know it is a bit fuzzy, but it has jew looking leaves and blue flowers with a tiny bit of yellow in the center of it.

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2001
4:25 AM

Post #135119

If it is outside, with 2 blue petals, it is a dayflower-pretty but rapidly invasive. I pull it out now.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2001
5:07 AM

Post #135130

Molly, I know it's a weed but isn't it pretty?? I've been looking at mine for a month now, saying I was going to make it's picture. I sure wish it was a bit bigger, wouldn't that be something?
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2001
11:36 AM

Post #135182

MG, You're right, it's outside and it has 2 little blue petel's on it(look's like a blue mickey mouse LOL) Invasive or not I think I like it.
Thanks for the help.
TraciS
Temple, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2001
11:42 AM

Post #135185

Oh, I've never seen those. I thought it may have been some sort of sweet pea. Ya know how they grow wild next door to ya. Well, if it's pretty and ya like it , (just a suggestion,) You could plant it on the other side of your fence toward the rock house. And if it makes it, that would be pretty and some color, and if not then you'll probably find more.

Thanks, Traci S
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2001
11:43 AM

Post #135186

tiG,
I have been living here for about 8yrs and I have had it all this time. It hasn't became invasive in this spot just yet, but however a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that way around in the front yard in the flower bed that I have a sprig coming up in there. Which I don't mind because I think it's pretty. So I guess we both have some "day flower's" I would have thought it was maybe a wild jew or something like that, because it has leaves like a wondering jew, don't you think?
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2001
11:58 AM

Post #135188

Hey Traci, Next time you are over here I will show it to ya
I think you will wont some of it too. It's not like a sweetpea though, it's more like a blue jew. I know it is a very hardy little weed and could be considered a perennial because it has been there 4ever and it keeps it's leaves all year round. I had even though about putting some in a hanging basket just to see how it would do. Let me know if you want some of it K?
See Ya
Molly

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2001
12:20 PM

Post #135198

Mollybee, here it is in the database: http://davesgarden.com/plants/go/653.html and here's a thread on it, complete with warnings on its invasiveness (and yes, I have some, too :) http://davesgarden.com/showthread/41519.html
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2001
12:43 PM

Post #135212

Thanks vols, The link was right on!! That is it!!! shhhhh don't tell anyone, but I still like it hee hee **
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2001
12:50 PM

Post #135216

I do too Molly. Mine has kept itself to growing under the pampas grass and it's a nice bright touch of blue when I walk up that way. It has never been anywhere but there in 20 years.
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2001
12:54 PM

Post #135219

tiG, Check out go-vols hyperlinks. some floks really hate this plant! But I plan on keeping mine too.
luvublooms

September 27, 2001
1:40 PM

Post #135257

Hey ,Molly, it's way over here 'cross Tx., too. I simply love my 'MM'.And it is not invasive here. In fact,I want it to spread more.I did get put some in a hanging basket .I didn't even like blue flowers til this one came along.I can't remember how it got here.But no one close to me has it.It has a found a home.LOL. And now I am into blue...Janie
checking out the links next
luvublooms

September 27, 2001
1:52 PM

Post #135262

Molly ,another thought ,maybe u could post the close up pic one I sent u ?It is too cute and I think more folks would like it!
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2001
1:53 PM

Post #135264

Hey Janie!! See what I mean about the links? I can't believe someone would actually dislike this plant. But I guess somewhere someone is trying to grow our hated weeds! like the golden rod or queen ann's lace LOL I guess we all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to weeds. But this little blue weed will have a home here as long as I do.
O how is it doing in the hanging basket?
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2001
1:55 PM

Post #135265

ok Janie, I will have to go back and find it first. then will do!
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2001
3:56 PM

Post #135339

Hi, I do think it is pretty, but over-ran one of my "special gardens" and the other plants were not re-placeable. I still have a patch, where it cannot move much as it comes up between bricks. It does have uses ( I do grow other "weeds, because I like them-goldenrod, Queen Anne's Lace,wild grasses, etc.) it is a low grower and no pest or disease has hit it here in WI. Anyone want some?
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2001
5:04 PM

Post #135360

LOL MG, I too have plenttty of Goldenrod and Queen Ann's Lace. But I pull it out of my beds all the time, because it over runs the place. LOL I guess to each his own,and one mans weed is another mans prized plant.
They ought to have a "Weed Trade Forum" LOL we could rid ourselves of lotsa weeds that way.
Sis

September 27, 2001
10:14 PM

Post #135529

Oh Molly,it sure looks like what I've been tryin' to kill over 20yrs.lol. I've pulled it out by the trashbagful(sp)

BTW,this plant thinks that "roundup" is plant food,lol'
Good Luck' Enjoy'
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2001
6:23 AM

Post #135731

This dayflower also comes in a variegated variety, which I thought was pretty so I stopped pulling it up. Big mistake!
luvublooms

September 28, 2001
6:40 PM

Post #135969

Round-up for food? really,sis! LOL!guess it's like grass ,don't grow where u want it, but make a bed of flowers and yup,here it comes!
Molly ,it did really good in hanging pot,had lots of 'ears and eyes'.And as for the horror stories,yikes,I'll have to quit collecting the dayflower's seed.But really nothing overtakes anything,here,YET! ..Janie
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2001
7:26 PM

Post #135989

Janie, I am thinking of trying some inside this winter. Wonder if it would make it...you know just to have a little blue color in the house to keep it bright and cheerful during the winter months. have you ever kept it in the house?? noooo more seed collecting from it janie!!LOL I think with what we have we will both have it forever! LOL
Sis

September 28, 2001
8:41 PM

Post #136017

Funny thing Mollybee,I tried it inside and it didn't grow' But the dang thing goes nuts outside and withstands anything,no kidding' Don't accidentally mow or weed-eat it either,roots wherever it lands,lol' No not on cement but close,lol' DH is the one who spread it everywhere' Good luck' Sis'
luvublooms

September 29, 2001
3:23 AM

Post #136238

Well,Sis, there is one plant Molly says grows in concrete or in the cracks of concrete ,that is.The johnny-jump- ups.Those won't even grow in real dirt here!My yard anyway.
Molly,I have never tried outside plants indoors.And guess you have to settle for the blue in that flower lamp.LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America