-
AuthorContent
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7413358

I was trying to decide where to start this thread. Obviously, the Weather Forum was the first thought, followed by maybe the Farm Forum. In the end, I settled on the Homesteading Forum, since we are kinda an offbeat bunch and this is something I imagine many of us try to do. :)

What kind of "signs" come to mind in forecasting the weather? Maybe based on animal behavior? I vaguely remember hearing many years ago, that the way cattle act in the pasture, is an indicator. Maybe atmospherically? "Red sky at night, sailors delight, red sky at morning, sailors take warning"...meaning a storm's a brewing?

I watched the woolly worms this fall and found most of mine had really wide brown stripes around their middle here in South Central KY. More info at http://www.almanac.com/content/what-woolly-worm-knows

Robin
Caliche
Hill Country, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #7413479

Ants building their mounds high=rain.
Caliche
Hill Country, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #7413486

Shaggy horses= hard winter ahead.
Robin...thanks for this thread...I can't wait to see what others post.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 31, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #7413957

Dogs beating down the front door: thunderstorm (I won't hear the thunder for another half-hour.)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #7414144

Thanks for joining in. Yep, thought it would be fun. And it's something we can pass on to kids and grandkids. I forgot to include in my first post, that my woolly worms indicate I'll have a mild winter.

Caliche, I don't have ants up here like you, but that's interesting. Makes sense with the shaggy horses.

Porkpal...too funny! But seems to me I also heard/read somewhere that animals know ahead of time of bad weather coming in.

I have a major problem with moles here and had read that they hibernate. However, there are new tunnels showing up every day. Maybe another indication of a mild winter? I can only dream. LOL!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
2:48 AM

Post #7415137

In this area, how high the hornets nests are built indicates how much moisture to expect.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2010
4:30 AM

Post #7415397

Cool! Thanks, Pod.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2010
4:57 AM

Post #7415448

If the horses starting running in a circle in the field being very noisy, acting very upset and its also a stormy night (of course) get under ground... a tornado's on the way.

also when there is a tornado coming chickens will flatten to the ground so flat you can barely see them.

Cows will line up along a fence when its going to lightening.

Whatever day of the month is snows on (like the 24th of Dec here) you will get that many inches of snow, that many days of snow or that many snow storms.
(need to edit on the other thread... forgot about the number of day's part!)

I've seen all of these work at some point in my life.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #7416442

Greykyttyn, thanks for joining us!
gardenza
Anza, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7416602

Worms can sense a change in the barometer, and try to head for higher ground, to avoid drowning.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 1, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7416642

Many of our farm animals seem to get restless when the barometer is falling.
Caliche
Hill Country, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7417003

I think animals can detect an earthquake long before we do.
When we were young we lived in Huntington Beach California, and had a dog and cat who hated each other. The dog harassed the cat, endlessly.
One day I looked out the patio door and saw them lying close together but very alert, in the very middle of the back yard. Thinking it very strange, I watched them, and shortly was knocked off my feet by a strong earthquake. Everything was falling off shelves and knocked over out in the yard. These two 'enemies' just stuck it out where it was safe.
After the earth settled down to aftershocks, the pet war resumed like nothing had happened. LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7417276

Lots of cool info. Thanks!

Don't cattle tend to huddle up when a storm is approaching?
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2010
12:14 AM

Post #7417978

I forgot two more i know..

Turtles (land version, think box turtle, can't spell what they are really called) will be seen moving to higher ground a couple days before you are going to get lots of rain.

those black wooly worms.. if you get bunches of them they are good indicators of very bad winter to come.

ur welcome msrobin..

not so much a folkstale/wives tale because it just my cats that did this that I know of. May 8th of this year our town was hit with what they call a type of inland hurricane. 100 mph winds. It was awful. it hit at 7:03 am that morning. at 6 am my cats got on the bed & started making noise, bothering me & such. I ignored it & rolled over to go back to sleep, they kept it up & I rolled back putting a pillow on my head. I was not getting up yet. This was the morning of my nephews funeral & I was not prepared for this morning at all. I just growled at them & stuffed my head further under the pillow. Katie, one of my cats, burrowed under my pillow, stood up & pushed it off of me. Twitch, my other cat took her place real quick & started slapping my face with her little paws (thankfully she's declawed), when i just tried to roll away they both started slapping at me & butting their heads into my head. Sassy my other cat was in my mom's room fussing at her & my dog was whining. Mom finally gave up & got up, Sassy left her & went down stairs moaning, whining, crying trying to make mom follow her. My feet hit the floor 3 minutes later & I started for the stairs grumbling at them, they got in front of me trying to get me to follow faster, like they were impatient to eat. 30 seconds after my feet hit the floor the hit the side of the house so hard my bed moved a few inches from the wall. The cats hit the floor running & went to the basement. The dog had all her hair standing on end. It was scary. Never seen wind like that in my life. Trees were nearly doubling over it was blowing so hard. Its the first time in my life I was afraid to be near a window to watch. The wind was coming west to east so we got on the east side of the house & stayed. Mom in the stairwell & I stood in the middle of the living room watching for trees that might land on the neighbors house. (i'd promised the people living in two different houses I'd come for them if a tree trapped them) Most of our town & the surrounding towns were without electricity for near 2 weeks.

the animals knew this was bad. They knew it was coming. Our weather people didn't even see it coming till it hit us. it lasted 30 minutes. longest 30 minutes of our lives. It was worse than a tornado. i do not ignore the cats anymore when they fuss like that. I get mom up & send her to the basement immediately .
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2010
2:09 AM

Post #7418285

Another great story about animal instincts!

When I first moved out here in the country, I was kind of nervous about bad weather possibly moving in and not having any warning. We live on an open hilltop, don't have a basement, couldn't get a local tv station tuned in for weather info and there had recently been a couple of mild earthquakes. These kind of animal signals could be life savers.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2010
2:21 AM

Post #7418309

our "basement" is only the lower level with a 4 ft concrete wall on one side. It was suppose to be a garage but the family before us turned it into a bedroom & family room. I'd give anything for a concrete capped ICF room attached to the house. big enough for all my cats & the dogs.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2010
2:33 AM

Post #7418335

Forgot to say, we also live in a mobile home.

DH says he'll put a big root cellar in for me...but that follows the much needed room addition...and the roof over the front deck so we have some shade out here. But I do have a 30' deep gulley that I can hunker down in. LOL!
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2010
2:47 AM

Post #7418360

get a weather radio.. :)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #7418581

I did
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #7418591

does it work? We have steel siding & they won't work in here. I just pray my internet stays on so i can check weather. and we have a good radio station that has only went off air I think twice due to weather in 6 yrs.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2010
2:57 AM

Post #7425118

I thought of another one when i looked out my window this morning. For the last 2 days the snow birds have been flocking. This morning.. we have snow! Mom always said when i was a kid, watch for the snow birds, when they show up, you're snow is on its way. You rarely see them till its about to snow then they show up in huge amounts. i counted 23 this morning at the feeders.
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2010
3:01 AM

Post #7425125

birds fly lower just before a storm...

really cool thread, glad to have stumbled upon it somehow
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #7426221

Sunshines2day, glad you joined us.

Are these the same birds that kind of fly in swarms, land in large flocks on an open field and then will also congregate in the top of the bare trees, chattering away? Seeing a lot of this lately. Kind of reminds me of Hitchcock's "The Birds".

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 8:07 AM
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7427020

Here's another one from http://www.atmosphere.mpg.de/enid/20344acfa5043592fce582be2fa8ceb7,0/3__Folklore_Weather_Forecasting/-_Plants_and_animals_3sn.html

Cow - A cow with its tail to the west, makes weather the best; A cow with its tail to the east, makes weather the least.

This New England saying from the USA has much truth in it. The natural instinct of animals is to graze with their tails into the wind. If a predator tries to attack from behind, the wind blows their scent to the animal in danger. In the northern hemisphere, east winds often bring rain and west winds often bring fair weather so the grazing animal's tail becomes a weather sign.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7427066

Interesting and logical on the cow butts.

One saying that I read on the C&S forum and had never heard before but it stands true.
"As the day lengthens, the cold strengthens".

... and we are there ~ Brrrr!
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7427867

hmm.. East..

A storm from the East is fit for neither man nor beast.
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2010
1:39 AM

Post #7428767

msrobin...

...just the normals birds you see and/or hear around your property.

...another: seeing the undersides of leaves on trees means it will rain.

Anyone ever notice how people seem to drive crazy just before a giant thunderstorm? Do you think they're all trying to simply seek shelter?

greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
1:44 AM

Post #7428787

wow someone else knows the tree leaf thing! Grandpa always told me to watch the silver maples.. when the leaves were belly up, rain was on the way
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
1:48 AM

Post #7428819

I thought that was pretty interesting about the cows, too.

This came from the following site:
Quoting:If that darn rooster insists on crowing just after the sun goes down... you can expect rain.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art12670.asp Lots of folklore ways to predict weather, but a lot of them you have to pay attention to signs weeks earlier.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
1:51 AM

Post #7428830

I just read about the leaf thing recently.

My neighbor cows were confused today...some tails toward the east and some toward the west. LOL!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #7430102

Two more observations from the farmer's Almanac newsletter...Always expect a thaw in January. Fog in January brings a wet spring.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7430229

Lighting & thunder in December will bring bad storms in May.

:) sorry can't ever remember them all at once.. My grandpa had lots of them he used.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2010
12:54 AM

Post #7432496

Here it is lightening in January will correlate with frosts in April and it is usually correct within a day or two.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 6, 2010
4:08 AM

Post #7433301

My Grandfather said if you killed a snake and hung it on the fence it would bring rain.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #7433995

Interesting!
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2010
11:02 PM

Post #7436132

Pod, if your correct about the frosts in April I guess we can look forward to eating Peruvian peaches that year. lol Haven't seen any lighting yet this month but Thursday afternoon will be the next chance for it I think.
Caliche
Hill Country, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2010
12:25 AM

Post #7436355

I remember this tidbit from my Grandpa. Ring around the moon forecasts coming bad weather, and the number of stars within the ring indicate the number of days before the bad weather.
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2010
2:06 AM

Post #7436642

Porkpal...

...recently watching a special on the Dust Bowl, I remember seeing the photos of headless snakes hanging on the fences and signposts

Caliche...

...I've heard about the ring around the moon, the stars within is new to me though

Msrobin...

...did I already mention I LOVE this tread

Eveyone... please keep them comin'
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7437926

I'm glad everyone is enjoying this!

Greykyttyn, going to put the snow fall theory to the test. First snow for us today...7 inches, 7 days of snow or 7 snow storms.

BTW, first time the neighbor cows have been clustered together since moving in a couple of months ago. Bad storm moving in? Weather forecasters say just 1"-2".

Caliche, cool...we've had 2 rings in the past month or 6 weeks. Will have to count the stars next time.

Porkpal, interesting about the snakes.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7440844

Our weather, rain included, tends to come from the west or the north, so I guess that ol' saw changes depending on which side of the Appalachians you're on?

Buffalo run with the wind... which made for some interesting times trying to get the shots of stampeding buffalo in 'Dances with Wolves'. Apparently the director had the animal handlers try to drive the herd into the wind several times, so the dust would not obscure the shot... and several times the buffalo herd turned and ran over the pickup trucks the handlers were driving to chase the herd. You'll notice the humans finally gave up and let the buffalo go in the direction they wanted...

My dogs start trying to bang the back door down if there's a storm coming... though the storms seem to be getting smaller... it's getting to where if the sun ducks behind a cloud anymore they start in. Wimps. =0)

Red sky at morning... probably means you're in the southwest somewhere. Red sky at night... probably means you're in the southwest somewhere. LOL

The donks start braying for dinner early if a storm is moving in that's going to hit at their usual feeding time. They're a bit more accurate than my wussy dogs.

I think there's a bunch that I take note of, but can't bring up into consciousness... I just respond appropriately when I see the critters acting a peculiar way.

Ah... the crows come down out of the mountains before a big storm.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7441749

Jay, I think you are right about a lot of folklore legend being region specific and which side of the regional mountains you live. LOL about the dogs...they train us well, don't they?

Got 2" of snow yesterday and light flurries this morning. My neighbor cows are still huddled up...more snow and/or storms to come?
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7441963

Maybe it's just where they threw the hay? LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7442627

May be, but they obviously don't like getting their hooves cold/wet either, as they aren't moving around the pasture at all. Curious to see what they do when the owners come to feed this afternoon. The cows usually run up to the pickup carrying the feed.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7442668

We eagerly await your observations... now what with climate change, we must begin anew to craft our weather observations and reliable observations of cows, et. al. will be at the heart of our system...
I can't always get the radio in clear, but I can always see a cow around here! LOL
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7444133

"Dances With Wolves" is my all time favorite movie.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #7444245

The music still makes me choke up.
Apparently those buffalo totaled a couple of trucks before the handlers gave up on the idea... the buffalo ran OVER the trucks, not around them. Yikes.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7445183

Exactly!
Quoting:now what with climate change, we must begin anew to craft our weather observations and reliable observations of cows, et. al. will be at the heart of our system...
I can't always get the radio in clear, but I can always see a cow around here! LOL

Two observations still underway...1) we're on day 3 of snow fall, about 4" of snow so far and 2) the cattle aren't huddled up as much as the past two days.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
12:29 AM

Post #7513565

Update on the snow theory...

It snowed 1" 5 days ago, 4" yesterday and 2" this morning. So far, it's snowed six days, combined total of 10". Although the snow is beautiful, I can't wait for spring.

My neighbor cows have been moved to the back pasture...I miss seeing them out front.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7514411

We've had.. 4 days of snow.. combined inches... 15" i believe.. this one was had to measure.. 10" in one spot.. 5" in one spot in the yard.. so who knows. It drifted pretty badly. They claimed we only got 7" so that's what i'm going by.. ( I want more snow too...so that's why i'm agreeing with the weather man.)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7514761

I knew I was forgetting something in that last post! The first snow for me this winter was January 7th... so 7 days, 7 inches or 7 snow storms? We've had ...6 days, 10" and only 1 would be considered a storm.

I measured out in the yard where it was level, because we had a lot of drifting, too.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7515741

my yard is mostly on a hill.. we were measuring in the flattest parts, like driveway, then the road, then a few places in the yard but out from under trees.

24th of Dec, 2 storms, only snowed 4 days tho overall...

Took us nearly all afternoon to get some good sledding tracks made, we built in turns & bumps. The kids were to be here all day today to sled, their mom called this morning, they had to be home early. waaaay early bc she forgot their fathers bday. Talk about some very unhappy kids. They are praying they can come back & night sled tonight for a couple hours. We've got 8 tracks, various speeds & skill levels made. The bunny track for the toddlers... clear to the speed demon for the less accident prone ones. (curves around a tree halfway down)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 31, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7515910

I want to come sled with you!
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #7516293

LOL come on porkpal... I'm hoping the kids can come back either tonight or tomorrow night to sled after dark. When the sun goes down the tracks ice back up & they get even faster! We pulled out the metal disk sled & beeswaxed it too. :) it really slides if your small enough to sit on it.

counted 12 snow birds. :) suppose to snow more tomorrow.. not a lot.. but anything helps!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
11:13 PM

Post #7516558

Happy Sledding! Do you go down the hills too, Greykyttyn?
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
1:03 AM

Post #7516872

o my word yes! someone has to teach the younger generation. :) Its the only reason to have cold & snow.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7569146

Well, 7 is not my lucky number this time around. Totals so far: accumulating snow on 9 days and total accumulation 15". Can't complain though...we were lucky compared to the surrounding areas.

Adding another...In winter, when pigs rub up against their pens, it is a sign of a thaw.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7569210

:) how many actual snow storms have you had already?

W've got 8 inches left... or another 20 storms... or something like 15 days with snow on the ground. Probably get it around Easter. O could I be so lucky?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #7569237

We've had 5 snow storms. Haven't checked to see what's in the forecast. Got a good melt going on our south facing slopes the last couple of days with a little sun.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7569340

We've got sleet, snow & freezing rain on the way.

I was so happy.. i went out on my porch to feed the cats this morning & behold it was warm! (barefoot of course) the wooden floor was so very toasty warm from the morning sun. I just stood there in my pj's & soaked up my fake spring weather. i love my snow but i long for spring.. I hate being inside so much.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7569491

I just saw 3 geese flying NW. That means they think the worst is over. hehe. No robins have been around the past few days so they agree with the geese. Yaaaay. The weather liars are saying it will be warmer over the next 7 days. Yaaaay.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7569511

geese have been flying NW here all winter.. and spring.. and fall.. and summer. hundreds of them! i gave up on that one. Then the next day they fly south.. & then N again.. back & forth like they are lost. :)

I've also heard..

When bluebirds appear spring is here!

problem with this.. my bluebirds never leave! Snow birds are still here tho.. so winters not gone yet. when they leave spring is usually a couple weeks out.
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2010
2:08 AM

Post #7570638

Mesquite only blooms after the last freeze.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 19, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7570881

That's also supposed to be true of the pecans budding - no more freezes.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7656249

Robin I dont know about folklore or voodoo but i do know every time my boss was around my ass hurt
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7656259

And since when did kentucky become a thriving metropolis
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7656269

It's not, but where I live isn't the boonies. ;)

I've had bosses that had the same effect on me.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7656278

Yes I`m gonna become a real workaholic now yessiree mention work and I`m gonna get drunk! heheheheheehahahahahahah
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7656288

Kentucky whiskey yea baby whiskey a gogo
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7656300

Fly Robin fly, and where on earth is hooterville I meen Caneyville?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7656320

I"m still trying to decide if or how to respond to the previous post. LOL

Halfway between Owensboro and Bowling Green, 7 miles from a small town and a major 4 lane highway. Far enough to be reasonably private, close enough to be reasonably conveinent.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7656351

Batman says check your wallet Imean you have a dmail homey

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2010
10:06 PM

Post #7656648

I'm late seeing this thread. Just as well as I have nothing to add!

Apropos of nothing... did you know cows can lose half their body heat and still survive?

I remember the winter my NC town had snow after snow until it was over 6' deep and the farmer's couldn't get out to feed cattle. The National Guard was assigned the job of dropping hay bales from helicopters but had to be stopped because they were dropping them on the cattle and killing them!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #7656657

I remember hearing about the hay drops.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
4:24 AM

Post #7656991

Darius,I have a brother in Mt.Airy NC anywhere near you? He says its beautiful.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7657212

YO Whats with all that mountain top removal? Looks awfull! Ever here of Betsy.Kentucky? I was in the Marines with a cat from there.Said he had no drive,only a path to his folks home.And that they heated with coal,which thet dug from a seam right behind their house .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7657334

EoM, Mt Airy is about an hour away as the crow flies. By road, it's an hour and a half... It's mostly foothills, not as rugged as the mountains, but not flat, either.

NC passed the 'Ridge Law' legislation years ago forbidding building right atop the peaks, but passed nothing about mountaintop removal nor clear-cutting. I lived in Boone off and on for years. I swear it will soon all be flat; it's worse every time I visit, which is several times a year.

About 80% of my county here in SW Virginia is National Forest, and so far it's fairly well-protected.

Sorry for the hijack Robin!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7657382

No problem.

EastOfMidnite, Darius is a great one to discuss building sustainably.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7663822

OK, so my white donk has started to shed out, but my black donks haven't. I've got one donk that holds his coat til the end of July, shedding it only so he can grow in a new winter coat.

It'd be hard to predict anything other than suppertime by these guys... LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7663872

Interesting. I wonder if there's an unnoticeable difference in the coats.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7665136

Hello, Robin8888888 whoo`ps wrong button hi and hello----Brian
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7665543

I dont know what the subject was but anyhow,just called to say hello.Brian
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7665589

Hey Homegrown,Can you for one minute treat yourself to your self and all your hard work for God sakes relax
secretlove2005
Brooklyn, NY

March 30, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #7667183

well heres a few things i always heard growing up
if the cows are laying down the fish arent bitting
cut open a persimmon and look and see if it has a spoon knife or fork inside of it
tell by the bush on a squirels tale
Cats scratch a post before a wind, wash their faces before a rain, and sit with their back toward the fire before a snow.

-- If a rooster crows at night, there will be rain by morning.

-- Pigs gather leaves and straw before a storm.

-- If cows lie down and refuse to go to pasture, you can expect a storm to blow up soon.

-- If a dog starts to whine for no reason, you can expect a major storm -- possibly a tornado.

-- Birds on a telephone wire predict the coming of rain.

-- The darker the woolly bearís (warm) coat, the more severe the winter will be. If there is a dark stripe at the head and one at the end, the winter will be severe at the beginning, become mild, then get worse just before spring.

-- When dogs eat grass, you can expect a severe storm.

Other than farmers, ships at sea were most affected by the weather. And since animals (except rats and the legendary pirateís parrot) were rare on ships, sailors used current weather conditions, the position of the moon, as well as the behavior of sea life, to determine whether they should batten down the hatches.

-- If porpoises frolic at sea, expect a storm.

-- Red sky at morning, sailor take warning; red sky at night, a sailorís delight.

-- A falling meteor predicts fair weather.

-- The appearance of gulls overhead does not mean rain, but fair skies instead.

-- If rain falls while the sun shines, then the shower will last half an hour.

-- If rats in the hold climb out on deck, it will be a fair day.

-- If the sail no longer catches the wind, then expect a violent storm to blow up in just a few hours.

-- If a quarter moon lies on his back, it is holding the rain. However, if it tips over, grab your slicker.

-- If salt pork turns sour, then be ready for a shower.

-- Blue sky in the northwest foretells fair weather and a good breeze.

-- If the moon rises red and appears very large, then rain is only a half day away.

Other than groundhogs, badgers and bears, other wildlife -- especially insects and bugs -- can be depended upon to predict the coming weather conditions. In Britain, for instance, loud singing crickets predict the coming of violent storms. If spiders weave their webs before noon, then it will be fair weather. Ants are supposed to be busier before a storm, as are cockroaches.

-- Locusts sing when the air is hot and dry.

-- When toads appear in large numbers, you can expect rain.

-- If bears and horses get thick coats early, then expect a severe winter.

-- Squirrels are busier gathering nuts before a bad winter.

-- If wasps build their nests high, a severe winter is on its way.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7670632

If a dog srarts to whine for no reason, your most likely standing on its tale
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7670637

:) My dog would bite me, if I was standing on his tale.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7670695

Hello Robin,hows things @ the bat cave?Just checked pricing for-a draw knife at Lehman~s eighty bucks and change.`sup wit dat?I only want to debark a tree not shave the president.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2010

Post #7670720

They're sure proud of it.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #7671264

Check Garret Wade
http://www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pn=19S02.26
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7671725

HUH? THE fool say`s Happy April fools day to all And have a sfe and prosperous season
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7672090

Might also check around the antique/junk stores... I've occasionally found some good old tools pretty cheap. Just gotta poke around in those boxes under the table.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #7672160

Yeah, pays to check around. My spokeshave is a stolen item... stolen from a friend who had abandoned mostly worthless tools. I also got 2 decent old wood molding planes.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #7672199

Nice score, Darius! Good to see you on the boards again, BTW. =0)
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7672225

Darius Maximus greetings,from the enlightened one
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7672231

BTW Darius shouldnt a spoke shave work? slower 4 sure not concave but still should work.I`m not paying 80+ to shave A TREE
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #7672360

Forecast this:60* and sunny.I love when a plan comes together. P.S Looking for some heirloom,corn,cukes,pea`s,beans,squash.peppers,and tomato`s. May be a late start but I need the seed.Will compensate.But only for people that need. Give me a d-g or black mail what ever it is and I will foreward said $.No hybrid need apply.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7672450

Let me go through my seeds... how about eggplant?
Does it have to be heirloom? I've got OP seeds, but not all of them are heirloom.

Read once that back in colonial days they would fell the trees to open up the canopy, and plant around them where they lay... finish limbing and removing them after harvest. How they got the crops in ASAP.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7672468

I've got a few varieties of heirloom tomatoes.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7672721

Spokeshaves should work. Problem is most of them have a narrow width to the blade so you wouldn't take off a very wide swath...

I have a LOT of heirloom Kentucky Wonder pole bean seed that's 2 years old. Germination rates might be lower, so plant double. You can have 'em for postage.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1558/
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #7673304

Where would i be with out good people.Thank you for your concern.hybrid leads to handcuffed=indentured serf.real seed real future Self sustained
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7682895

What happened to weather folklore?

greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7682969

Anyone heard of Blackberry winter? We have it here.. it gets into the upper 80's sometimes 90's for a week the end of April or the first of May.. then it plummets to the 30's & 40's for 2 weeks. Afterwards the blackberries bloom out. We know that when blackberry winter gets here Summer is only a couple weeks away.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7688782

Moist April, clear June.

A rainbow in spring indicates fair weather for the next 24 to 42 hours.

Expect rain if hens spread and ruffle their tail feathers
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7690605

My word its gonna come a flood then. My hens have had their tail feathers spread & ruffled for 3 days.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7690739

Greykyttyn, lol! Mine, too.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7690760

idk if this has been put down yet or not... not in the mood to read all of it & find out...

blue ring around the moon means rain within a couple days.
maple leaves turning their bellies up to the sky means rain within a couple days.

oooo...

smoke always follows the prettiest one standing near the fire. :)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7690772

I keep telling Hubby, I should have been born rich instead of beautiful ;)

Will have to start keeping tabs on my maple tree.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #7691525

Expect rain when your working,expect more rain when you have a mile or more to walk get home,out of the rain.Never failed me once.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7984562

I thought of this thread when I read this from a gardening newsletter I get... http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/2648/how-and-when-to-water-your-garden

Quoting: Predicting the weather

Predicting the weather is like writing: Anybody can do it, but not everybody gets paid for it. Before the ascent of farmer-forecaster Willard Scott, gardeners looked to nature for weather signals. Many still do, and sometimes they are as right as TV meteorologists.

Sunny days to come:
ē Heavy dew on the evening grass
ē Swallows soaring high
ē Beetles and bats flying in the evening
No need to water:
ē Spiders reinforcing their webs
ē Trees turning up their leaves
ē Clover contracting its leaves
In the end, though, the verse by Reginald Arkell may sum it all up:

A gardenerís life
Is full of sweets and sours.
He gets the sunshine
When he needs the showers.

lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7985936

A weatherperson is the only one I know of that can be consistently wrong and keep their job. lol
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 21, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7986683

Well some politicians do much the same...
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7986769

Thanks, Podster
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7986795

porkpal wrote:Well some politicians do much the same...

Your right, those little slime balls lie so much itís hard to tell if they were right or wrong on most everything. I will add them to the rolls of the inept.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #8039246

msrobin wrote:I did

I was interested in the name of your town. I grew up in Caney, KS
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #8039252

greykyttyn wrote:wow someone else knows the tree leaf thing! Grandpa always told me to watch the silver maples.. when the leaves were belly up, rain was on the way

I always heard this too. Also the one about the cows.

I also heard when the cow herd was lying down, the fishing was no good.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #8039273

EastOfMidnite wrote:If a dog srarts to whine for no reason, your most likely standing on its tale

My dogs only have about 1" of a tail. If I was standing on it I'd be on their butts!
Mine would probably bite me too. LOL
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #8039283

My Mom always told me if it was foggy in the morning, it would burn off to be a beautiful day. I hold her true to it.
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #8042081

This thread has died down and I'm glad to see some new posts.

Anyone have any fall/winter lore to share?

I'm been seeing lots of caterpillars lately and I've heard:

Fuzzy caterpillars mean a cold winter.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 15, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #8042378

Were yours fuzzy?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #8042920

According to folk wisdom, when the brown bands on fall woolly bears are narrow, it means a harsh winter is coming. The wider the brown band, the milder the winter will be.

(Today, entomologists agree that woolly worms are not accurate predictors of winter weather. Many variables may contribute to changes in the caterpillar's coloration, including larval stage, food availability, temperature or moisture during development, age, and even species.}

Also according to folk legend, when you hear the first song of the dog-day cicadas, it means there's just six weeks until frost.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 16, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #8043657

We must be hearing the wrong cicadas, in that case!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #8043725

LOL ~ that thought had crossed my heat broiled brain too.

C'mon fall!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #8043743

Well,I don't know about cicadas... but my old-timer/friend Buster said today everything since June has been at least a month earlier than usual, so it wouldn't surprise him for winter to be early too.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 16, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #8043793

It was early last year here, at least - snow at the beginning of December!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #8047441

Whew, finally was able to get this page to load!

Welcome Crit! Don't know much about the history of my town name. We're transplants here and can't find much info.

Heard the first cicadas 2-3 weeks ago. Can't imagine having a frost the 2nd week of September, but anythings possible.

I've had the same problem with earlier than usual stuff. Junebearer strawberries produced in May. May Peonies bloomed in April. All the cole crops did fantastic till early May, then bit the dust. Hate to see winter coming, but I'm sure sick of the heat. However...knock on wood...this week has been wonderful, temperature-wise.

I need to go back and read this whole thread, because I've forgotten most everything mentioned.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #8048350

My hometown was named for the Caney River that runs outside of town and Caney Indians that use to live along it.
MarthanB
Madison, TN

August 29, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #8069409

Didn't see any info re the weather and corn silks. My grandmother always said thicker corn silks meant a colder winter.
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2010

Post #8069520

darius wrote:
Also according to folk legend, when you hear the first song of the dog-day cicadas, it means there's just six weeks until frost.

The only cicadas Iíve heard were screaming as they fell out of the sky on flaming wings. The sun/heat has been a real basket this year. I agree with Pod Ö come on fall!
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2010

Post #8071429

I recently heard some older folks at a cafe discussing their weather lore...they where discussing that the first hard freeze happens 90 days after the first summer cold front. ...I didn't stick around long enough to hear how they determined the first one.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #8071581

Been too busy to notice any of the folklore signs, but I did notice that some of our trees have leaves falling off and changing color already. It's hard to imagine having a really hard winter, after this summer of excessive heat. Why can't it just be mild winter with warmer than average temps? I know...wishful thinking. LOL!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #8071591

I think that is what the Old Farmers Almanac has said lies ahead. We'll see...

Sunshines2day ~ "summer cold front" sounds like a contradiction in terminology. I had to chuckle when I read that.
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #8072165

msrobin wrote:Been too busy to notice any of the folklore signs, but I did notice that some of our trees have leaves falling off and changing color already. It's hard to imagine having a really hard winter, after this summer of excessive heat. Why can't it just be mild winter with warmer than average temps? I know...wishful thinking. LOL!

I have leafs turning colors and falling also but I think itís more from the heat that anything else. I since we didnít get any rain yesterday I will have to start soaking my plum trees this morning. The leafs are looking bad and starting to curl. I just wish we would get a good soaking rain.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #8072289

Yes, good, slow and soaking... for a few days. Or at least till we cry uncle!
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #8072330

Pod, what are your predictions on this coming winter?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #8073382

Not a weather prognosticator here, sorry. I've not even heard the old timers make a comment this year.

Even the normal indicators may be upside down here as there is much oil/gas activity going on in this neck of the woods.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2010

Post #8073462

Early Frost; Early Winter
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2010

Post #8073551

Gonna throw my 2c worth in here. We went from 100+ one week to 80's the next week ... now back to the 100's. I'd say that was our 'summer cold front', and 90 days would be the end of November. Sounds about right.

I don't know the difference between a 'dog-day cicada' and a plain ole noisy cicada, but I know they have been howling here! Don't think we will have frost as early as mid October. However, I have seen it snow on Oct. 22 here. I remember 'cause it is a friends birthday. Didn't snow a lot or stick much, but still snowed.

I've seen the leaves turn and fall early because of the lack of water and heat. It is a coping mechanism, conserving it's energy.
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #8073582

Crit,

...sounds about like it is here in Lubbock Texas
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8073633

Ya'll are scaren me.

Pod, we got a whole almost a 1/2 inch this afternoon.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #8074066

Raining all around us... we must not be paying the preacher enough.

So Lizards_Keep ~ what are your predictions on this coming winter?
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #8074102

Donít know. Last winter and this summer have been so screwed up most anything can happen now. However I believe we are going to have an unusually cold and dry winter. I hope Iím wrong but I think our weather patterns are starting to change. I guess we will find out for sure when it happens.
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #8074104

Crit wrote:
I've seen the leaves turn and fall early because of the lack of water and heat. It is a coping mechanism, conserving it's energy.

Yeah, my pear trees are really taking a beating right now. Everything else looks like it might do alright.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2010 6:58 AM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #8075314

My horse is a good indicator of weather. If his tail is wet, it's raining. If it is blowing out behind him, it's windy. LOL
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #8075546

Crit,

That's the most accurate indicator I'm seen on the entire thread. Too funny.

lizards_keep,

Keep lizards? (I'm a snake gal)
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2010
8:34 AM

Post #8076364

Naw, lizard is just a nickname I picked up years ago. Our place here is referred to as lizards keep by friends because of the abundance of lizards we have.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2010 12:43 PM
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8077292

Oh I see. Better than being called Rat. LOL
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #8077631

This is true. But I have been called worse over the years. }=0)
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #8079221

Texans are resilient. No matter how you name us :)
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #8079521

Yep, weíre just misunderstood by the rest of the world. Lol But right now Iím on cloud nine Ö we got a little over 2 and a half inches of rain this morning. We could use about ten more but I wonít complain about what we got. This has been one of hottest summers I can remember.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2010
4:18 AM

Post #8079598

Amen... on the 'hottest' summer. DH says I am just getting old and not remembering.

Two and 6/10s inches here. We are finally blessed but always looking for more.
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #8080253

Starting Monday I think is our next chance of rain. Sure hope we get some more of it soon cause itís going to take a bunch to get caught up. Thereís what looks like light rain near us now on the radar but then again it might just be ground clutter. Must be getting a little over anxious after that first taste of rain the other day. lol
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #8080679

what is DH?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8080717

Sorry Crit ~ it's another one of those computer acronyms ~ Dear Husband. Somewhere here there is a thread that lists a bunch of them. I'll see if I can find it and link it.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #8080787

Couldn't find a specific thread but here is a ton of them... some are pretty obscure and some you will see used frequently. There are plenty more but this is more than enough.

SASE = Self Addressed Stamped Envelope
LSASE = Large Self Addressed Stamped Envelope
BSASE or SASBE = Bubble Self Addressed Stamped Envelope or Self Addressed Stamped Bubble Envelope
WB - welcome back (LOL - laugh out loud
LOLOLOL - a belly laugh for sure
ROTFL or ROFL - rolling on the floor laughing
:) is a quick smile -
DH, DW - dear husband or dear wife
DS, DD - dear son, dear daughter
MIL, FIL, SIL, DIL, BIL - the inlaws (or as my brother-in-law and I call ourselves, the outlaws.) SIL can be son- or sister-in-law
TYVM - thank you very much
TTFN - ta ta for now - if you've ever watched Winnie the Pooh, you'll get that one. If not, it's just a way of saying goodbye.
((())) - or some number of parenthetical marks - it's a hug.
SO ..significant other
HTH=Hope this helps
TTYL=Talk to ya later
FOMCLOL=Falling outta my chair laughing out loud
addy - address (as in E-Mail)
AFK - Away From Keyboard
BBIAB - Be Back In A Bit
BBL - Be Back Later
BBS - Be Back Soon
BFN - Bye For Now
bg - big grin
BION - Believe It Or Not
BRB - Be Right Back
BTW - By The Way
CUA - Commonly Used Acronym(s) or Common User Access
CWYL - Chat With Ya Later
cya - see ya
eg - evil grin
FAQ - (list of) Frequently Asked Question(s)
FUD - (spreading) Fear, Uncertainty & Disinformation
FWIW - For What It's Worth
FYI - For Your Information
g - grin
G - big grin
GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out
GIWIST - Gee, I Wish I'd Said That
GMTA - Great Minds Think Alike
GR&D - Grinning, Running & Ducking
HHOK - Ha Ha, Only Kidding
HTH - Hope This Helps
HTHBE - Hope This Has Been Enlightening
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
IMO - In My Opinion
IOW - In Other Words
IRL - In Real Life
ITRW - In The Real World
j/k - just kidding
JMHO - Just My Humble Opinion
OTOH on the other hand
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2010

Post #8086299

Thanks podster. There are a bunch of those that I already use, but a BUNCH of them that are new to me. I've seen several on DG but didn't know what they meant. I just tried to figure them out. :-) I appreciate you taking the time to write all that out for me. You're a peach.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #8086335

You are welcome but please, just ask any of us if you see something that makes no sense. I've been in the same boat.
sneisen
Osseo, MN

September 13, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #8096564

New to the forum here learning quite a bit from everyone here, but I wanted to post one that I heard from my husbands grandpa.

When the flies get sticky frost is a couple weeks away

Didn't pay much attention to it but then I noticed come mid to late September the flies would circle and never leave you alone when we visited the farm. Sure enough a couple weeks later we had a light frost. Kinda scared about this winter though, the flies were sticky last week.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #8096658

There is something to that fly business. Right before a cool front comes thru, we notice the flies cover up the large plate glass windows at work. They will flock indoors when the door gets opened. The weather change is predictable and your Grandpa in law is right on the money with this one!

And, welcome to this forum. Hope to see you often... pod
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #8096854

Yep greetings seneisen and welcome.

Pod - we got another 3/4 inch Sunday. Maybe the dry spell is over for a while.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #8096937

No way... no rain here.
And when will this humidity ever end?
I do NOT remember a summer this grim in recent years. (or is it just me ~lol)
Please remind me of that when I gripe about cold and shorter winter days.
skeeler
Medina, OH

September 16, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #8102115

Going back to my New England roots-the old yankees used to say that there wll be no frost 'till the wells are full.
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #8102150

Wish I had a well to fill. lol
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #8102426

Me too! LOL

According to The Weather Channel, the states that had excessive heat this summer, will stay warm going into winter.

However, according to The Farmer's Almanac, winter is going to be cooler and drier than normal.

I'm becoming quite an expert at weather forecasting for my south central Kentucky location. When there's a massive storm cell with lots of rain headed across the midwest. I quarantee that when it hits the stateline, it WILL start breaking up and go all around me. Been doing it to me all summer.
skeeler
Medina, OH

September 16, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #8102434

Our Ohio summer has been unspeakably dry and hot. Have heard that this winter should not be as bad as last, but that isn't saying much; haven't seen so much snow or felt so much cold since I was a wee girl back east.
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #8102581

I donít know if I want our winter to be that mild or not. Last year we had a hard cold one and the fruit production was excellent around here. I wouldnít mind seeing a little more of that next year.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 16, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #8102642

Our winter gave us better fruit production too; we got apricots for the first time. But I'll settle for less fruit and fewer frozen pipes, thanks!
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #8102702

Know what you mean out the pipes. Turned the water off at the cabin but last month when I turned it back on I was greeted with several broken ones inside the wall. So I have decided to redo the bathroom along with them since I will have to pull out part of the wall to fix the pipes anyway. If it's not one thing it's another.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #8113784

So far every oldtimer we've got here is saying its going to snow before thanksgiving & not thaw till March. :) I can't wait! Wooly bugs are huge... and fuzzy. which usually means a cold winter. Trees are already turning for the last 3 weeks.. we've kinda had an early fall. A bit of a warm up this weekend but otherwise its been in the 70's by day & low 60's by nite.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 22, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #8113817

I recently read that dogs eating grass means it will rain. (I always thought dogs eating grass meant that they were about to throw up on the carpet.)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #8113839

It 'feels' and looks like an early fall here, too, with leaves turning already even though the daytime temps are above 80. Time to get my firewood fetched and stacked.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8113843

Hard to believe winter is so close, when it's still hitting the 90's in this area.

Porkpal, my dog lies, then. He's been eating grass for weeks and no rain to be had here. Getting harder for him to even find grass to eat. Most of it is crispy.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 22, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #8114152

How's your carpet?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #8114435

Luckily, we spend most of our time outside.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #8115158

I can always tell when the rain/storms are approching. My fibromyalga flares up and I start hurting all over. Since I have developed arthritis in my thumbs, they really get to hurting a day or so before it storms. Also, the change in weather barometer pressure give me migraines. I may be a mess, but I know when a storm is coming. LOL
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #8115922

Youíre probably more accurate than the local tv weather.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #8117038

LOL ... Yes. Who needs all that radar and doppler and fancy gadgetry????
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #8117184

me me me

I watch it as though I need it, lol, even thought it's many times wrong. Maybe I'm an optimist?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #8120449

Here's one I haven't seen; When the hornets build close to the ground there won't be much snow. Last winter here was a real corker and the hornets were high in the trees. If I see any up there this year I'll knock them to the ground myself!!!! I sure pray we don't have another winter like last year. It nearly killed me and the animals. Everything is comng down off the hill in back of the house before cold sets in. Already have the goats and half the chickens down. One more chicken pen to build and I'll be set with them. Then just the horses to fix up. I'd sure love to sell 4 of them. Wish DH could wrap his head around the idea. He hates to see them go and I do too but it's inevitable. Leaves are falling here. Not turning colors, just turning loose. Way too dry. The creeks are all drying up. We need rain something fierce. Welcome to the new folks.
skeeler
Medina, OH

September 28, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #8125647

Re: 9/16 post- So far, two days of constant rain. Guess even the wells in Ohio must be full before we get the "f" word.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #8127197

My dogs were eating grass a couple days ago ... but no rain. We are actually in another dry spell. Maybe they were just doing it to try to get it to rain. LOL
Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #8128695

I love this thread!

Do you folks have any lore for a first frost?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #8137142

Sorry it took so long.

I did some more research online a couple of days ago and it seems like all indicators happen 2-6 months before the first frost. Don't recall the links, but I think I googled "folklore frost predictors".

We did get our first frost this morning. A little early this year. [sigh]
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #8137520

We got a little frost here this morning too. Set a record low... 38 in Tulsa. We were about 42. Doesn't look like it hurt any of my plants though
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8138044

We have not had any frost yet. I bought a floating row cover for my bed I just planted. I have some stuff sprouted but it's still really small.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #8138336

Cajun, good thinking! I thought about it all summer, but didn't want to let go of the money to order any. Plus I'd have to decide which rows I was willing to sacrifice, since I couldn't cover the whole garden. DUH, that's exactly what I'm doing now, by covering selected rows with sheets. lol
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #8140208

I got mine at Lowes. It was only $10 but I just have the one small bed 4X6.
I put 5 gallon buckets along the outside of the bed and cut poles from the woods to lay across the buckets. I'll drape the cloth over the poles and weight it down with rocks.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8293119

Todays' DG article... http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2084/

Lightening (thunder) in January will correlate with frosts in April and it is usually correct within a day or two.
We had some lightening ( no thunder ) last night ~ we'll see if we have frost on April 4th!

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8293155

I'd never heard that one. Will have to pay attention!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8293163

We'll see how close... old timers swear by it.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8293957

Thanks, Podster.

This is the start of a new year. Time to review the folklore signs and signals and start keeping track. :)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8314785

Reading thru an old gardening book and found these...

Quoting:
When onion skins are very thin,
Mild winter coming in.

Onion skins are very tough,
Coming winter very rough.

Quoting:
It is a wet month to be when there are two full moons in it.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8314818

Cool, Podster! There is some truth to that. All of my onions this past summer and fall had thin skins, and this was the worst winter I've seen here (in 9 years) with more bitter cold days and more snowfall and rain.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8314860

Wait!! Isn't that the reverse of what that poem said? LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8315038

Well, thank Heavens the skins weren't tough! LOL I thought it was a little rougher winter than usual here, but I've been spoiled by the mild winters in this part of Kentucky where we had loads of 50*+ winter days. However, there has been a lot worse that we could have had, had it not gone around us.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8315602

ROFLOL ~ or perhaps it will be over soon as in a short winter!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8315760

I can only hope...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8315969

A short winter gets my vote!!!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8316138

Keeping my fingers crossed for you both. We just got blessed with 2 3/4 inches of much needed rain. Hallelujah!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8317308

It rained here last night and everything is as slick as now. Warmer today but the sun is not out.
skeeler
Medina, OH

January 18, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8317386

Switching back to my good ol' New England heritage again..."as the days get longer, the cold gets stronger".
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8333076

Back to the lightening & thunder one...

My grandpa always said If it thunders & lightening in winter the storms will be worse come spring.

Last time it thundered, lightening & snowed at the same time here... we had massive tornadoes every weekend for a month.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 27, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8333109

Hi Greykyttn, welcome back!
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

January 27, 2011

Post #8334254

down here my parents & gr. parents would not plant hot weather crops till the fig trees leafed out. in the late 80's i remember it got to april 1, everything else had been leafed out for a month or more but the figs were holding tight. i planted eggplant, and okra and sure enough we got a frost and cold front. i wait for the figs now whether that be in feb or april or somewhere in between
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8334293

Wow! That will be something I will watch for... thank you!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8334319

I had not heard that one.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 27, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8334387

Around here the pecan trees are considered to be the ones to watch. No more freezes once the pecans bud.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8334888

Amazing that the trees "know".
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8334901

I wonder if they watch for signs. LOL
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8334964

up here its the pecans as well. They won't leaf out till the last freeze. or so you hope.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8334972

OK, Greykittyn, I'm counting on you keeping us posted about the pecan trees leafing out, as I don't know where any are around here.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8335004

i have one in my yard... If it survived the bag worms from last fall.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8335169

I did not realize they grew that far north. We had lots of them back home. They are famous for shedding limbs but don't let them go to waste. Try laying some of them on top of the charcoal when you grill. It will give your meat an out of this world good taste. Mmm
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8335366

Hello long time since I've been a pain in your ///.Having a go at it here slower than I thought but all ok
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8336227

Hello, EOM. It has been a long time. Will you be able to do any gardening in Spring?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8337143

greykyttyn wrote:Back to the lightening & thunder one...

My grandpa always said If it thunders & lightening in winter the storms will be worse come spring.

Last time it thundered, lightening & snowed at the same time here... we had massive tornadoes every weekend for a month.

I hear ya!!!!! I lived in the Caney/Coffeyville, KS area growing up going to school and again about 5 years later for 25 years. Was in the tornado that tore up Tyro, between Coffeyville and Caney
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8337156

Guess I need to buy a fig or pecan tree. Or rely on my DG friends to let me know when it is safe to plant.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2011

Post #8337617

Actually, it sounds like they will tell us two different things. I know the pecans budding out here are a sure sign that there will be no more frosts.

If I followed FlSusies' post, the fig trees will let you know when it is safe to plant "hot weather" crops. Like okra, peppers, eggplant, etc. I watch the local pecans for budding out and last year planted a fig so will keep an eye on it too.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8337738

Podster, please keep us posted
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8337781

I will certainly try to... please, feel free to jog my feeble memory if needed!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 29, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8338028

I too have both figs and pecans. It will be interesting to watch the process.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8338601

OK ... I'm relying on you all with pecan and fig trees to keep me informed. :-)
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8338888

@Crit - I live just a mile off i-44 so we get everything...got 10 inches of snow on the way right now.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 30, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8338906

No signs of life from either figs or pecans - stay tuned...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8338929

LOL ~ Ditto!

10 inches of snow ~ crap! we got rain and looking for lows in the low 20's this coming week. 10 inches is a lot for Joplin isn't it?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8340263

Last couple of days have been really nice here. Today is supposed to be pretty too so Ima do some gardening.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2011

Post #8341646

10 inches is nothing for Joplin.. its up to 20 inches now... possibly gonna increase to above 20 inches :) last big snow... we got 36 inches in 14 hours. We are under a blizzard warning, severe winter storm warning & hazardous weather warning. 1 inch of ice/sleet under it all. Birds were fighting over the feeders today trying to get well fed before they find somewhere to hide... 50 mph winds coming in.. and it drives me nuts bc being pregnant i can't lift what i normally do or do things i normally do ( i tend to test my guardian angels patience & give them heart attacks)... i have to be safe.. therefore i can't be out there up on the roof in the rain battening down the hatches on my chicken coops... just have to make due with what little i told my DH how to do. Normally i'd have them tucked in so tight all they would hear is wind... but they may have a few ice covered tail feathers this time due to small holes in the plastic sheeting that's up there. Still gotta string the cord & plug in the heat lamps... and find our kerosene heater bc they are calling for power outages starting early tomorrow.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8341736

I will say a prayer for you and your chickens.

All that snow and you can't go sledding. That's a shame. I know how much you like sledding. Last snow we had I slid down the hill on a feed sack. It was fun.

chancemft
Tucson, AZ

January 31, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8341766

looks like I'm talking to some of my friends nieghbers up there in Mo. They've been saying a little further north around Bourban/Sullivan and up BLIZZARD conditions. I feel for all ya'll caught in it, most of my family lives in around that area. I was in Ky last Feb when we had all the ice, and let me tell ya, It was'nt fun. Some folks did'nt get power back for a month.
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

January 31, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8341774

Cajun did you get any of the ice we had last year?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8341936

Hang in there, GreyKittyn, and you be extra careful.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8341976

We caught a glancing blow from that ice storm. We were without power for six days and nights.
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

January 31, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8341987

Some of the folks around our area were hit pretty hard, glad ya'll did'nt lose power for to long. They reported on the news that a lot of folks tried to heat their house with unvented burners, some folks died from it. I wished there would have been more that I could have done, but you cant get to every one. I think in my area, Central city, and Brheman, wer hit the hardest. You could'nt even drive down 431 for about a week, it was pretty messed up.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8342432

They kept our main road clear and we are lucky to live on the main road but our driveway was treacherous. We had to leave our van and truck parked at the church up the hill. The truck couldn't be started because it is a diesel and has to be plugged in to keep the block warm or it won't start even with 2 batteries. We had to get a friend with a 4 wheeler to bring us up the mountain to feed 2 of our horses. We heated with a kerosene heater but had to stay in one room. Problem was, even when we were able to get out to town there were no supplies to be had. And it was like that a long time after. My Mom sent "D" batteries from La for our flashlight. We are much better prepared this year but are so glad we haven't had any problems so far. Hope and pray it stays that way.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8342435

Forgot to add since our power was out our fences were down so we had 3 of our horses on a tie line in the yard. It was a miserable time.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8342783

greykyttyn wrote:@Crit - I live just a mile off i-44 so we get everything...got 10 inches of snow on the way right now.

We have 12 inches right now and it is going to continue to about 4:00 or so. So un-natural for us to get this much at one time, but this is the 2nd one in 2 years. The other one was not considered a 'blizzard' like this one is ... but we got about 10 inches that time. Buildings are collapsing. The new Hard Rock had the roof on the new poker room that hasn't been opened that long collapse! They said it was the size of 3 football fields. No one hurt, it had begun leaking water and they evacuated the area. I'm huddled down in the comfy recliner, fire in the fireplace, not going ANYWHERE! The farthest I venture is to take the fur babies outside to potty. One of them is 16 and blind, so it is especially hard on her. I am letting them potty on the patio because it just has a little snow on it. Hunker down, it's coming your way!
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

February 1, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8342825

Cajun, sounds like ya'll got hit pretty hard also.we lost power for 1 day down in Hopkins ville, but for us having the horses out there in Crofton, turned out to be a lot of work. They got hit hard, and the road going into our property was coverd with downed trees. We packed feed & hay in about a mile because we couldnt get a truck down the road. Couple days of chainsawing and the help of friends and neighbers and we had the road back open though. Thank God for friends and neighbers!
Crit, arent you close to OKC? My dad is in Midwest City I think he said ya'll got a lot of ice that tore up trees realy bad down there.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8342914

Yes, I am a little under 2 hours up the Turner Turnpike from OKC. We got a lot of freezing rain and sleet before the snow started. It is really piling up out there. Temp is 9, windchill -11, with the really strong winds coming in later this afternoon. It's pretty well 'white out' condiditons. Blizzard warnings, winter storm warnings, just about all of the winter 'warnings' you would expect. Some of the snowdrifts are getting close to the top of the houses. I don't remember having over a foot of snow since I was a little girl when we use to get a lot of snow every winter. I remember icicles 6' long hanging from the eaves and the snow about swallowed me. lol
We bought a gasoline generator last year before a bad storm was coming in, so at least we can have light and heat (and my husband says, 'as long as the TV works, I'm good. LOL) Went to the grocery Sunday, and have a full pantry and freezer, so we can eat.
We are lucky our horses are just across the road, but that will be a trek with the snow like it is. DH went over and got their feed pans at 3 a.m. this morning, before they got covered with snow. :-) We will just have to go to the pond and break ice for water. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Going to be like this until Friday, then it may get up to 40. I don't think I can make it into work this week. Told my boss Monday, I was going to call in 'snow' (instead of 'sick') tomorrow. She said, I don't expect to see you all week. lol

This message was edited Feb 1, 2011 12:34 PM
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

February 1, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8342969

Crit, wow sounds like you guys got alot already. I was watching the news and they're sasying they've already shut the airport down, and a whole lot more snow coming.Glad ya'll had the forethought about the gen and the grocerys! Could have been a long ride out with out those. I hope my dad had enough sense to do the same. Gonna call'm and check on him. Not much I could do for him here in Tucson though
We did get snow on the mountains yesterday and last night. We got rain and some wind down here i n the foot hills though.Stay warm!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8343187

The only thing I'm short on is my meds. It's a narcotic and he won't refill until it is due, which is Thursday. That is, if they are even in the office to get my refill order. Hope I have enough that if I space them out and go as long as I can before letting the pain get too bad, I can make it through.

Just took some water out to the birdbath, shook the birdfeeders to get the snow out of the little holes and seed out, and threw some seed on the ground. Of course it sunk down a way, but I suppose they can get it. Was 13" where I measured in my back yard.
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

February 1, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8343200

13" that alot aready, how much more are ya'll expecting? well, I hope your pills hold out for ya. Nothing worse than being cold and hurtin'. I talked to my brother in Dallas and he said the snow flakes were coming in the size of hamsters. Said they got some ice also, truck doors frooze closed.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8344033

"the size of hamsters" ... LMBO Tooooooo funny

I'm not sure how much more we got after that check on it. Haven't ventured out again. I will tomorrow to take the birdies some more water.

The flakes were big here for a while, then they turned smaller but were quad-zillions of them!

Reminded me of a saying an older friend of mine use to say "little flakes, lot of snow". Boy have I found that to be true!
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

February 1, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8344234

Just got off the phone with my dad, he said it finaly slowed down on the snow fall, now if they (OKC) could just keep the realy inteligent people(lol) off the roads, they might get it cleared, down there. Hope you guys are well suplied, it looked pretty cold and forbearing up there. I'm sure glad I'm in Tucson right now! Wont be long though, I'll be in Crofton,Ky full time. Just glad I'm not there now!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8344584

It's pretty bad. Semi's backed up on the highways unable to move. Airport closed. Turnpikes closed. Malls closed. County business' closed. Schools closed. Frigid temps and windchills. Not about the 20's until Saturday when it is suppose to get to 38. It is miserable. 3* here this morning, winchills -15 to -25. UGH! DH just went out to feed the horses. We usually only feed at night, but are feeding 2x a day in this.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 2, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8344610

- - - But the groundhog did not see his shadow. Spring is on the way...NOT!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8344637

UGH!!!! Say is isn't so!!!!!!!!!
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

February 2, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8344948

They were showing on the news last night white out conditions and 60 mph winds, causing it to be 30 below wind chill. Thats pretty cold!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8345016

yep ... a little chilly
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

February 2, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8345074

We had a little ice on the buckets this morning i noticed. But not much. I talked to my cousin this morning to check on them and she said out in St Charels, Mo they got 20" of snow, did'nt say how much ice though. They've been trapped in the house with six young boys. I think they are at the point of needing a very stiff drink!
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8345187

I sure feel for all of you in the midwest -- cold enough here in northern Arizona, high today only 20 degrees and supposed to be well below zero again tonight -- but Happy Groundhog Day to everyone! Note that I refuse to say "season's greetings" or "happy holidays" -- to me it will always be Groundhog Day!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8345191

LOL!!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8345963

If that groundhog saw his shadow, I will kill him myself!!
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

February 2, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8346184

They taste good with some bar-b q sauce!
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8346716

I hope you all had a wonderful Groundhog Day. We had the traditional Groundhog Day dinner, roast groundhog with cranberry BBQ sauce. We finished the meal with cups of yummy Hog Nog, and sang the carol, "Muskrat Love".
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 3, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8346973

Alas, the family couldn't all come this year so we minimized our celebrations: Quahog chowder and groundnut butter cookies. No singing - to the neighbors' relief.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8346980

our ground hog saw his shadow... it was bright, not a cloud in the sky. the deer are having to jump not walk thru the snow... heard a fox last night.. they are jumping as well.. its sad.

22 inches was last & final count.. in our yard.. 24 to 26 in other areas up here. snow drifts as high as 5 ft in areas. 4 ft in our yard and we are on a slight hill. 1 in of sleet. Neighbor has a front loader.. he cleared the road & our drives because we are outside of town & they wont' clear it.. BUT of course.. work can dock you points & pay for not coming in. We were declared a state of ememergeny & the city was shut down for 2 days. I ventured out into it to get milk because we didn't buy enough.. bought the last 3 gallons in the store.. 1 being chocolate. ... Did go sledding.. will go again tonight or tomorrow. both toddlers stayed inside.. 1 still has a rattle from pnuemonia... the other one.. i swear you wouldn't see anything but her eyeballs above the snow. more snow coming Friday thru Sunday... baby appointment on Friday morning.. hopefully i can get there. hate to miss the first one. roads are NOT clear here yet.. just snow packed. slick.. idiots out driving 45 mph on snow packed roads... and slamming on breaks.. no break tapping.. no 25 mph driving.. just a lets see how fast we can go & hit that ditch kind of driving. venturing out with two older kids in about half an hour to get cat food, dog food, chicken feed & bird feed. animals think they are starving.. they've been rationed bc my DH "forgot" in the excitement of the snow.. that we needed extra food since we wouldn't be able to get it from the store. 7 cats in the house & one dog.. going stir crazy.. they want out.. too cold.. wind chill warning.. can freeze lungs. its zero here. -40 with windchill tonight. -28 last night with wind chill. our bedroom is not insulated... we have a little Amish fireplace.. electric... it was 45 degrees this morning. 9 blankets on the bed.. it was.. 75 under the covers.. talk about not wanting to get out of bed!
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

February 3, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8347070

Grey, sounds like you guys got a lot! I have family up around the St Louis area, they got alot also.I think it was back around 93 or so, I lived in the Sullivan area, and we got six inch's of ice then snowed on top of that. It made for a very rough existence for a few weeks. Especialy working on a horse ranch, ice on the bucketsand troughs, busting ice on the ponds. Feeding, and I lived a couple of miles from the barn, couldnt take the truck so I rode a 4 wheeler, man that was cold. But it was alot of fun car hooding on it.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8352140

kytten,

Did you see the wreck off of the bridge at Spring River near Miami on the news? So tragic, so sad. I watched the rescue/recovery this morning on the news. I still don't know if I want to try and venture out. Although I have a front wheel drive, I have to cross the Arkansas River at either Keystone Dam or on 97 thru Sand Springs. Don't want to be a loafer and the only one not there...but don't want to be the only fool that got out and got there (or not)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8352286

I saw that wreck on the nat'l news. Yeowch! What grim weather y'all are suffering.

I would say if I could avoid hitting the road, I would stay home and stay safe!. Y'all be careful!

What a wierd winter nationwide. We are expecting snow tonight and tomorrow. It can't be that deep or we will be doomed here.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8354128

I saw the wreck..

Crit.. if you don't have 4 wheel drive.. please stay put. Its nasty still.. more coming... try not to get out if you don't have too.

if its not a high clearance vehicle it can't get thru... cars are stuck everywhere. tall suv's & pickups are all that's getting thru.

This is NOT the storm of the century... last 10 yrs yes... but we got 28 inches my senior year.. 1999... that was not a century ago.. i am so tired of the news saying this is a historical event.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8354160

I think it is the fact that it is covering so much of the nation that makes it 'historical'.

I do have a 4WD Chevy Z71. I can't even get my car out of the garage because of a snowdrift in front of it. I'm just not going out at all. The people in the Spring River accident were in a Chevy Avalance pickup. I am not pushing my luck and taking ANY chances.

They are calling for 8-12" more, on top of what we have, in the coming week. Chance on Sunday and again Wednesday or Thursday. This is one of the snowdrifts on top of my house.

Thumbnail by Crit

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2011

Post #8354237

I hope people are thinking about the weight snow is adding to their roofs and clearing them if possible. It's no time to have the roof cave in.
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

February 4, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8354241

Crit, my dad said ya'll got another couple inches today and more on the way. I hope you guys are stocked up on suplies!
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

February 4, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8354245

Hey Cajun, my buddy in Hopkins ville told me ya'll dont have any snow, just cold. But he did say, ya'll were in the area for the tornadoes?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2011

Post #8354252

We had a few flurries Wednesday but didn't amount to anything. Lots of wind Wed. and yesterday but not today. Tornadoes are almost unheard of here because the mountains shear them off.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2011

Post #8354253

Yes, we have plenty of food and a generator in case we lose power.

Tulsa reported 3.5" for today's s***. We have had quite a few roof cave-in's already. Casino had a poker room the size of 3 football fields collapse, business', church's, homes. It's really bad. Our roof has a good slant to it and sets N/S, so it doesn't stack up much. The pic of the snowdrift is on my south end gable.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2011 8:17 PM

Thumbnail by Crit

greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2011

Post #8354259

They keep saying its Historical for Joplin tho... that's what it on our news.. in our paper.. they've never seen this much snow in 100 yrs here... Mom has pictures she dug out where in the 70's they got 48 inches... in about 24 hours...

we got 2 inches this afternoon... Crit... are you suppose to get the total 5 to 7 inches we are tomorrow & Sunday as well?
chancemft
Tucson, AZ

February 4, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8354269

Hey Grey, when I was younger back in 1970 something I remember getting over 2' in less than 10 hrs. Of course I loved it, no school for me. But yeah I think like they said earlier its the over all expanse of the storm thats monumental.
Cajun, did you tell me you were way east Ky?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8354437

Yes. 8 miles from the Va border in Pike County. We are in the mountains in the coal fields.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8354776

Well kytten ... maybe it is young journalists who weren't around in the 70's. lol I remember as a kid the snow being almost as tall as I was, that was in the early 60's. 6' icicles hanging from the roof. My mom has pictures of them in her photo albums.

We got 3.5" officially in Tulsa yesterday. They are calling for 8-12" on top of what we have this coming week. Storm Sunday and again Wednesday or Thursday. I need to get my WS containers planted and outside!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8354838

But maybe they are talking literally... after all, this is a new century! LOL

Crit ~ get your WS jugs out and start planting. It is a good cure for the winter blahs.

And when all that snow melts then come the floods. Can't win for losing?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8355278

Ya pod, I keep thinking I need to do that, but then...there are MORE threads to read! I never get caught up. lol

Tulsa weather is saying it is historical for us for the amount of snow in a 24-hour period. Maybe that is what they meant. Who knows!?!?!

Got tickled at my pup and Polly running around out in the snow. Had my still camera but not my video. They moved too fast to snap a still. :-)

This is Bowzer. He is a Rat Terrier, like my other 2. He is 6 months old and quite fun!

Thumbnail by Crit

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8355334

They are wild little units! He is cute. My uncle had one that would climb trees. She fell out of the top of a live oak once and broke her leg.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8355442

OH WOW. I've never had a 'tree climbing' dog.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8356289

She did it on a regular basis. Likely would not have fallen if my aunt had not fussed at her to come down. She always walked with a limp after that. She was a smart little gal. She would fall and play dead if you pretended to shoot her. :)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8356893

LOL. I had a dog that would do that. Also when someone who was visiting was leaving, I would say "would you rather go home with so and so, or be a dead dog?"... and she would flop over and be dead. It was a hoot.

If anyone wants a good laugh, go to this thread on youtube. It is my granddaughter playing with her Rat Terrier. The funniest part is at the very end when you see the dog look over the edge and you hear this soft little 'ow'. I didn't hear it the first time, I was laughing so hard. Heard it when I replayed it for DH. Be prepared, she is a "squeeler".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXsh6LDPoKA
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8357090

HA! (oww)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8357231

LOL ... she was trying to keep Breanna away from Cari (her mother)
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

February 7, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8358437

i'm almost afraid to post this but the fig i planted last summer has leafed out. even for here thats early. fall crops are almost finished but compost isn't. i think i'll plant squash and cukes in between the br. sprouts (they're mostly stalks now) and top dress with compost in a couple of weeks. wish me luck, i'll keep you posted.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 7, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8358538

I think your fig is confused!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8358666

FLSusie ~ have you checked the soil temp? Of course, I don't know where New Port Richey is or what zone you are in... Either way, good luck.

I know we are behind here as I would send my Mom a pot of blooming daffodils from my garden for Valentines day and they are no where near blooming in time this February.

If our fig was budding out, I would say it was definitely confused! LOL
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

February 7, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8359552

being a young unestablished plant it may be confused, but if not and i plant squash and cukes now i might get a pretty good crop before the heat, humidity and mildew gets 'em. i always get better crops from these 2 with august plantings but i still plant a few in spring.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 7, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8360189

Go ahead, Take a chance!
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8362459

5 to 9 more inches of snow for us... still got 8 in on the ground. I found out my car slides sideways very well.. its cattywompous of the driveway now.. stuck. thankfully i can still get mom's Escalade around it. I slid all over the place trying to get my DH to work this morning. AND i grew up driving in it.. i know how to drive in it. First time I've had this much trouble. I was driving so slow it barely registered on the gauge. Birds are eating so fast i can't keep food in the feeders. Grackles are pigs.. they run off my song birds. Got to find a way to get them to stop eating my feed.

sad news... we found out we miscarried due to an antibotic i had been on by my general doc that he assured me was safe.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8362591

Greykyttyn, I am so sorry to hear about the miscarriage. You are in our T&Ps. Take care of yourself.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 9, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8362677

So disappointing and sad!
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

February 10, 2011
3:32 AM

Post #8363853

almanac says todays the day so i'll plant squash and cukes outside and start some others inside. worked in the yard and garden yesterday and noticed barbados and surinam cherries are leafing out and i found lots of tomato, marigold, and nasturtium volunteers coming up in the garden. weathers been on the mild side for last week or 2 and only mild fronts predicted for the next week. Greykyttyn, my heart goes out to you. BIG HUG.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8363860

So sorry to hear about that kytten. You are in my prayers for healing.

We had about 7" here at my house. But the cold weather is the worst of it. -2* today air temp. My doggies sure did their business quickly this morning! I haven't attemped to go anywhere!

Try safflower seed to keep the grackles away. I got rid of them that were hovering in a big group around my house by shooting my 410 in the air at them. lol I live in the country, wouldn't advise that to city dwellers
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 10, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8364025

My fig has little buds but it is nuts, our temperature is in the 20s!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 10, 2011

Post #8364027

The pecans are wiser and are still fully dormant.

The ash trees are often quite foolish and leaf out in mid- February, but even they are waiting this year,
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8367375

.22 gets rid of them for about 30 mins... safflower? hmm.. they wont' eat it? or they will & feed it else where to push them to another location?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8367849

They don't like it
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8369218

So sorry about the baby. My prayers are with you.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8372455

thanks everyone... had enough going on that we are doing ok on that subject for the moment... wedding reception this weekend so its been busy.

I HOPE its nice weather. Pecan tree isn't budded out yet... nothing.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 15, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8372998

Yes, it feels like spring here this week, but the pecan trees are still fully dormant.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8373294

Those pecans might not be so nutty after all?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8373925

Wow ... 72* here today!
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8376189

69* here.. wet.. muddy.. humid.. sunshiney!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8377655

Today it hit 74*. Don't know what the official is. Record as 79*. A week ago today 40 miles north of me was -31* air temp. Yes, that's right ... minus 31* in Oklahoma. Glad I don't do that everyday!!! Windchill wasn't much under that, about -36*
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8378366

Up near 70* here the last 2 days but windy as all get out. Got a lot done outside. Moved the horse lot fence today amd got the 2 SFG beds ready to plant. Calling for rain tomorrow.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8378518

REALLY windy here too
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

February 18, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8379148

beautiful here. lots of sun, upper 70's and low humidity. one of our few really nice days and it's supposed to last for at least a week.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8379816

Hard to believe a week ago yesterday we set a record here for -31* air temp, then yesterday we tied the record for 79*. If you don't like the weather in Oklahoma ... stick around a few days!!!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2011
10:25 PM

Post #8380058

Weather is a fickle friend.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2011

Post #8383824

Two quick harbingers of spring are here! Yay!

1) the purple martins have moved into this area

2) the water in the pond is dropping quickly. Faster than it would by evaporation. Meaning the trees are drawing it for the sap to be rising.

Now, let me go take a peek at the fig and pecan trees! LOL

MsRobin ~ if you are still out there, would you mind starting a new thread for those of us in the computer twilight zone? Getting slow to load...
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8383890

Our purple martins never left... blue birds either... or canadian geese... we've still got finches, robins, house finches... chickadee's... all the birds that are SUPPOSE to leave... just wintered over.. and froze thier tail feathers off. Maybe they will fly south next year & learn. I can't wait for the Orioles to start flying back north... and hummingbirds! I miss them. It was 75 here Saturday.. pretty but humid... 79 on Friday... very humid...
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8383913

Podster, interesting about the ponds. Never thought about that before.

Greykyttyn, amazing the birds didn't leave.

I started a new thread to continue this one. Please join us here:.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1159958/
lizards_keep
Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8384982

podster wrote:Two quick harbingers of spring are here! Yay!

1) the purple martins have moved into this area

2) the water in the pond is dropping quickly. Faster than it would by evaporation. Meaning the trees are drawing it for the sap to be rising.

Now, let me go take a peek at the fig and pecan trees! LOL

MsRobin ~ if you are still out there, would you mind starting a new thread for those of us in the computer twilight zone? Getting slow to load...

The pecans in containers have popped leaves here. Don't want to say it too loud but maybe the bad weather is over?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8385067

Shout it out ! We would all love to hear it. LOL

and please, follow us to the new thread!

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8385208

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1159958/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America