Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Newbies Seed Junkie chit chat !! 12-31-09

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 112, Views: 431
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #7413457

New thread to start the new year...

Come on in everyone beware of creeping vines.. We came form here'''
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1062818/

Direction for free seed here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Newbies that get lost and found here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Bed for newbies here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Jan's Seed Auction here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1036526/#new

The high priestess and her Loyal followers Brug sprout off contest
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037643/

Thumbnail by locakelly
Click the image for an enlarged view.

enidcandles
Enid, OK

December 31, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #7413468

Ok, I made it, where is everyone else?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #7413636

I'm here. I was just telling you how to do it so later if you find someone you would like to make a trade with, you would know how to share and still keep your plant in tact. Good info to have. BUT if you INSIST?!?!- No just kidding.LOL I don't do many inside plants because not good light here inside and no place good outside for correct shade for them to live. I'll just lust- I mean, admire, from afar. Thanks anyway.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #7413667

I would love one of the Begonia's Lori.
What did you name the dog Mekos?/
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #7413716

MO-JO-HE-TO ( Mojoito) Gonna call her Mojo.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #7413723

Hello everyone...Hope your having a great day... Mindy prayers for your nephew and endi prayers for your sister... Its over cast here today but the temp is reasonable... I think im going to get outside and see what I can get done... I need to fill in some low spot in the drive with gravel... maybe the boys will wanna help(ha)... My youngest is actually in the woods torchering the poor lil squirrels with his new shot gun...Guess we can have squirrell dumplings for supper..Ive heard him shoot 3 times already..Talk to you all later.. Trish
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #7413745

He should come torture some of mine a little bit so maybe they would leave my bulbs alone. The little theives are always digging my bulbs and plants up when I'm inside.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #7413952

Yes they will for sure dig your bulbs and plants and can be quiet aggrevating at times...
He dearly loves to hunt them... He isnt allowed to shoot any thing in the yard.. Thats a safe zone for all animals... except snakes(poisonous ones) unless DH sees it then its a dead snake...I had a lil blue racer that lived in a flower pot beside the back door...I knew he stayed there and he would climb above door and sun on the ledge... Kids knew he was there too... He stuck his head out on day when Rob(DH) was trying to unlock the door and almost gave him a heart attack... Almost scared the snake to death too... lol He didnt kill the snake but took alot of talking on my part to save his lil life...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #7413970

woooohhhhooooooo! LOL If it had been here, Talk wouldn't have saved anything. OH my goodness. The only good snake is a dead one around me. I don't like snakes anywhere close to my house. Anywhere else, ok but not here where I walk around or my animals walk. No talk would do any good around here. No, no, no.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #7413993

enidc,
one of the plants is a varigated vinca and the other one is a( peperomia) spelling? The peperomias are rather hard to keep or at least for me they are . They like bright light but not direct sun. That vinca will out live everything else you have there LOL I got mine and have tried to get rid of it as it takes over everything if not contained and it just keeps coming back :((((((((((((
The begonia try to keep it out of direct sun too as it will literally fry in full sun.Lost mine like that :(((((((((((((
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #7414035

Hey you guys, the seed catalog bombardment started today. I got Thompson and Morgan, Henry Fields, and Gurney's. Some good looking stuff in them.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #7414254

Jungs, and everything else. They want our money. For heavens sake don't plant that Vinca out or it will grow everywhere you don't want it. I wish I hadn't ever got any. But I do so I'm stuck wih it. Anyone want Oxalis??? I got plenty of that but it is so pretty with it's little pink blooms. Just let me know..
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7414344

Charleen
I'd love some of you Oxalis. Let me know how you want to do it.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
12:35 AM

Post #7414644

RRM, I have some with white blooms, you want white blooms and green leaves. I'd like the pink blooms, what color leaves?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
12:37 AM

Post #7414650

Oh my goodness you all got one over on me!! Happy New year!! Kelly you trickster you have you been hanging with Lucy???

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #7414658

Hi Robin... lol

Made it earlier - Lucy told me I better or else... I don't wanna find out what she means by or else . . .
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
12:39 AM

Post #7414666

I think she started where Cue left off. She has been causing trouble already, Arejay. What happened to Cue anyway? did she move off without us?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
12:41 AM

Post #7414671

Lucy's been pretty mean lately... Hopefully she's not mad at cue... Maybe I better check on her, huh?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
12:43 AM

Post #7414685

What happened to Gilda too?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
12:44 AM

Post #7414691

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1066006/#new
Duplicate thread...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
12:45 AM

Post #7414694

Yeah - she musta decided Florida was warmer than all y'alls places this time of year. Maybe she's waiting until spring to travel...

What are you doing tonight mekos? Ordering from seed catalogs - lol?

Please step away from the credit card Ma'am!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
12:47 AM

Post #7414705

I think Cue has been busy busy with her son and writing and remember she was sick with the flu for a bit. Maybe she got the writing contract and she just hasn't had a lot of sit in time...
I am positive she did not go and get famous and forget about us .
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
1:02 AM

Post #7414779

No, she just forgot about us. She better get her be hind over here, she needs to ring in the new year with US.

Hehehe I liked that Loca. (the credit card thingy) hehe You know me don't you?!?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
1:03 AM

Post #7414784

lol - and I know myself... I think we're all related somehow for reals. I'm getting ready to spend some $$$ in mamajack's Mum Co-op!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
1:06 AM

Post #7414795

Green leaves on the Oxalis. Want some??
We can swap. Maybe make pink and white strips ☺.
That would be great.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
1:06 AM

Post #7414796

You been holding out on us? where is that at?
You know them buzzards are waiting on Arejays seed stash, don't ya?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
1:07 AM

Post #7414807

Look at them beadey eyes looking through her window at her.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

January 1, 2010
1:10 AM

Post #7414820

Just stopped by to wish a Happy New Year to all the seed junkies

Love ya
Mit
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
1:14 AM

Post #7414833

Mitt did you see Robin's beady eyed buzzards looking at her window while she took the picture of them?
Happy New Year, Mitt. Hope you had a great Christmas and better new year to come. You gonna count down the new year with us tonight?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
1:14 AM

Post #7414835

Hi Mit!

Long time no see - Happy New Year to you too my Iris friend!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
1:16 AM

Post #7414845

Mojitos and turkey sammiches for everyone tonight!
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

January 1, 2010
1:20 AM

Post #7414862

Jan, they're definately Buzzards. I heard they cook them up like turkeys up there in maine.

Hi Kelly! Happy New Year. Did you ever get your iris bed finished ?

Where is the Goth girl tonight? Is Robin here?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
1:21 AM

Post #7414865

Drunk turkeys!!! that's worse than Drunk Mules.
We gonna have fun tonight. Charley goin' to be jealous of them birds
gettin' all the attention. You know Charley loves you, Mekos.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
1:29 AM

Post #7414889

Nope Mit. Still don't have the bed built, but your Irises are really too happy in their pots all toed in for the winter - lol. They might bloom there if I don't get my hiney in gear here real soon☺
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
1:33 AM

Post #7414903

Oh no are you killing my turkeys off for sandwiches ?? Did I spell that right you all say samsomething es so much I dont know how to spell it anymore...
Hi Mitt I am here for the moment how are you? Do you see them killing off my turkeys?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
1:34 AM

Post #7414907

Buzzards? We dont have buzzards maybe some turkey hawks...Buzzards dont live up here in the cold. Those are definately turkeys...They gobble.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
1:34 AM

Post #7414908

Charley would simply press them with his hooves. ☺
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
1:39 AM

Post #7414922

This is getting serious pressed turkey sandwiches...oh run my little gobblers...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
1:41 AM

Post #7414930

Them are Turkey buzzards, just ask Mitt. He saw em too.
Turkey sammiches and mojitos tonight for sure.
Charlie and mojoito will be watching.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

January 1, 2010
1:47 AM

Post #7414948

Hi Robin Happy New Year

I think mekos is right...they're BUZZARDS
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2010
1:48 AM

Post #7414954

Happy New Year Everyone may 2010 be filled with lots of memorable moments to look back upon next New Year's Eve.
I hereby resolve to learn more about starting seeds and growing plants.
Now you all leave those turkeys alone they are wild pets and not on the to be abused list.
We have a flock that numbers in the 60's or more of wild turkeys running around this whole neighborhood.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
1:56 AM

Post #7414990

They are Pretty, aren't they , Mindy.? No animal should be on an abused list.
I love all critters.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

January 1, 2010
1:58 AM

Post #7414996

Happy New Year Mindy

mekos is making drinks and sammickes
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #7415046

Hi mitt... nice to see you out and about...

Happy New Year to all...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
2:37 AM

Post #7415109

I just LOVE this place with all my buddies. Now if Cue would find her way home, and Seray get back from her peaceful exit, and Mechelle's son get better so she could come back, we'd be a Happy family again.
Honey, I'm back!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #7415331

I havent heard from Mechelle in a while I sure hope things are going ok for her...She sent me a Xmas card which was very nice espec with all things she had going on...That was a few weeks before Xmas tho...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
4:30 AM

Post #7415396

I get a d-mail every now and again but not for a week or two now so I do hope she is good. She is still woried about her son because he had to go back to the hospital I think she told me, or was to go for more tests or something like that. She did say she would be back when she can so hopefully he will be better soon. I know she is worried sick.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #7415469

Happy New Year everyone and a big SMOOCH.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7415485

Happy New Year...Cheerssssss
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7415488

WOOO-Hoooo and YE-HA!!!!! Tooting horns, big hugs and smiles. The first day of the year. WoooooHoooooooo!
Good night , I'm off to bed.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7415514

Night ...
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #7415533

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone !!!!!!!!!
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7415561

Happy New Year to you all!!!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 1, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #7415595

Well, guess I am late for the party! Been reading Garden Gate and Birds and Blooms. DH hates it when that happens - there goes more of his money. I am trying to convince him I am saving him thousands by being a member of this little group. He doesn't see it that way for some reason. He mentioned something about the bubble envelopes he saw laying around, the full roll of stamps I keep "just in case", the packing tape and flat rate mailing boxes... and he keeps looking at the pots, potting soil, containers, garden tools and misc. laying around. The milk jugs are piling up for winter sowing - I stuck them over between the kitchen table and and file cabinet where I am storing the lycrosis, giant ee and cannas for a lack of anywhere better to put them.
He threatened something about throwing away all of my "trash" in the corner. I was mortified - trash he says - the very nerve of him. I told him he better straighten up or he is outta here - me, the critters and the plants will be just fine. Then he had to burst my bubble and reminded me that without his paycheck me and the critters would be pretty cold and hungry. Guess we will keep him but gosh, he doesn't have to be nasty about it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!

I am sure looking forward to the coming year of sharing and caring with you folks. I feel warm fuzzies every time I log in!

Oh, and Mekos, I am with ya - no snakes. None, not ever for any reason - yuck, yuck, yucky!! They scare the $%*&#@ out of me!!

Hugs to everyone but Charley - he gets a big ole smooch! I sure hope I get to watch him get his hooves trimmed again someday!! LOL
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7415623

I feel your pain, Enid. My DH was ticked at me too. He said my hobby takes up too much time. So I stashed a few seeds and supplies.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7416684

Charley will have his farrier over about every eight weeks. Got to keep his feet looking good. The Donkeys need it worse than Charley. Charley got "good Hooves" Basicially he is a "good mule to trim" My hubby just shakes his head and fusses when I use the Recipe to spray plants. It Stinks. I wonder could I use Wine and still get the same results. He just has to live ith it. Poor Fella. Charley and the gang send out nuzzles to everyone for the New Years. Tail-wags from the pooches.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 1, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7416853

Now RRM you know I only want to see Charley get his hooves trimmed 'cause I am concerned the farrier might not be doing it right - I kinda need to watch - looking out for my buddies best interest you know! LOL

Just got back from the everything's a dollar store - 53 bucks - it's always 50 bucks no matter what I go in for. I hate that store! They kill me with "it's only a buck". Went to Lowes again too, those poor little Christmas Cactus are still sitting there for 75 cents - sure looks like someone would give them a good home. They also have their cypress trees (you know the mini Christmas trees) for $2.00. As soon as I can decide where to put them, I think I will nab a couple - too cheap to pass up!!

RRM - what is the "recipe" you spray on plants? That may be a secret I need to know.

Lynn - I bought a storage building just for me - of course it has my candle shop it in too but... I can stash lots of stuff in there and nobody knows - DH says there is just a bunch of girl stuff out there - he won't go in there unless absolutely forced. He says he can't breath in there because of all the fragrances. Thank goodness for small favors!!

Y'all have a great day! Up to 32 here now, will probably spend a little time in the sun this afternoon.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7417022

Hi all... Hope you all are having a great day.. wouldnt want the first day of the year to be a bad one...

Oh Endi I didnt know you made candles...Thats another weakness of mine...sigh..so many weaknesses so lil money lol ..

Hi lynn... Its amazing how much time I can spend sorting and going thru what seeds I have... About the time I get them organized I'll trade one or two and shuffle them all up and next thing you know there all dumped in the bottom of the box again.. so I go thru and put them back in there lil baggies in alphabetical order...Ha but it doesnt last long...I can never remeber if I put it in the bag P for purple cone flower or C for coneflower or E or echinacea lol... Each time DH calls he says what you up to.. I say oh just play playing with my seeds... He probably thinks im lying lol, but i usually have the box open and seeds spread out every where... The kids just roll there eyes at me...

The kitchen table is simply a stand for plants... Its right next to windows so its covered with pots... Thank goodness for the bar area to eat at...

Dh doesnt fuss...Wouldnt do him any good...Alot of worse things in life I could be up too!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7417033

Enid, I sent you a d-mail with Recipe.
Yes, there is worse things than than plants but plants are safer,
and your conscience feels a lot better☺
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 1, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7417117

You know, I have been thinking about this seed situation. I don't have enough YET that it is a problem but here is what I am thinking.
I found the templates here on DG for seed packets - what if those were modified and a pic of the flower was on the front important info on back - uniform size.. Maybe different color paper for shade, sun... or vines, bushes... there are alot of ways that could be done.
I assume everyone has a printer - if you come up with a great, tape it together solution, let me know and I will see if I can create us a template. ( I use tape instead of glue - never can find the darn glue stick)

My thought is: if we all use the same type "envelope" for our seeds - when we are trading amongst ourselves, when we get new stuff - you know right where it goes.

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7417192

I got some seeds from the lady in the Netherlands and her little envies have a picture of the flowers and name on it. You have a nice idea for seed envies. I don't haave a printer, but if I can do anything to help let me know.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7417241

I just made Business cards and put them in those little Plastic bags.
I kept my copies for next year. I'll just change the year date on them.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7417244

I have a printer but rarely have ink and when i have ink not sure if i know how to set it up to print those envelopes out.. Sure the boys can show me how since they have no trouble using up the ink for school lol...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 1, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7417260

The business card idea is good! We will have to work on this girls - it looks like we could come up with a wonderful solution that works for all of us - then when we are trading, well, it would just be easier, I think.

I don't know I just see that the seed storage/sorting thing is going to become a mess for me!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7417291

Some of us are just to smart... Me on the other hand... sigh just to dumb you will know mine.. probably wrapped in plain white paper hand written..

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #7417464

I'll help you, honeybunch just let me know.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 1, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7417542

Ah, see honey, that's where I can help you! If we decide on something that works for everyone, I can send you some - setting the template up is the easy part. Have you seen the little packet templates they have here?

Of course, it will take me a week to find them again. You print them, cut them out, glue them together and bingo - seed envy! Easy and cute! Now if we can come up with something universal, that suits everyone's needs we will have it made - or at least maybe we will be more organized??!!??
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 1, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #7417557

See if this link does anything - this is where I found the packet templates I was talking about.
These of course can be modified to any size and can have different pictures put on them - whatever, I can design them if someone will come up with a plan.
http://davesgarden.com/files/seedpackets/
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 1, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #7417579

By the way, while I am thinking about it, on the last thread where I posted the pics of my "cheap" plants, someone said one of them was vinca - can you tell me which one that was? I will post the pic again.

I don't want to plant it somewhere and be sorry later. However; I think most of these are meant to be house plants.

Thumbnail by enidcandles

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
10:47 PM

Post #7417649

Girl, you don't have vinca. You have Ivy and cactus and begonias and the stuff that is varigated is what they are calling vinca, but it's not. I can't remember the name but if you post on Plant and tree ID forum, they can ID it for you.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
11:16 PM

Post #7417750

Looks like a succulent. I didn't see a vinca either.
One on the upper left is an Ivy. It is pretty tough but not invasive.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 1, 2010
11:46 PM

Post #7417886

shoo... glad I didn't buy anything "bad"!
been busy trying to tidy up my "corner" - I added an awful lot of stuff today - hope no one notices!lol
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
11:54 PM

Post #7417912

We won't tell.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7417950

HI Everyone Candles why not make the front of the seed packets say Seed Junkie on the front? You could use diffferent colors of type for the different types of seed. Or use different fonts.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 2, 2010
12:21 AM

Post #7417997

Good thought - different color font works for me - now what size? I was thinking about different color borders rather than different paper - fonts would be easier though!

Is anyone else even interested in creating a system? Or even just a Seed Junkie packet?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
2:05 AM

Post #7418273

Hi everyone. I'm just checking in again. Been sick since 2:30am. Don't know if it was something I ate or caught something but not good for sure. I felt better for a while but not now. Been on the sofa all day.The flower packs sound good and what ever you guys decide is fine with me. I'm never organized anyway. Back later.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2010
2:29 AM

Post #7418327

Hope you feel better friend! Too many mojitos, huh?
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7418628

Oh Mekos, I hope you are feeling better soon.
I really like your seed packet ideas. I am so trying to come up with a good storage/organization system, but everything I try is just not working.
System #1: everything is in bags and baggies, containers of every type. Some are labeled, some I will remember forever (SO DIDN'T) They are everywhere, stacked, tucked, hidden, plain site, refrigerator, garage, bedroom, etc. This annoys DH the most, gotta get a new system.

System #2: Snack bags taped to the large index cards, with individual bags of seeds inside the snack bag. This system was partially efficient. I had them in a shoe box sized container, but I had way too many seeds. Unfortunately, my record and file keeping sucks, and some things were filed under common name and some under their Latin name. This way worked fairly well for organizing the seeds that I gave away in the Piggy Swap.

System #3: I bought the big 3 ring binder and plastic sheets that hold baseball cards. I put a packet of seeds in each slot, alphabetical order. Again, my filing sucks. My plan (still in my head) is to separate the annuals from the Perennials. I thought if I keep the seed envelope with the sowing info, I will have them to refer back to. I like looking at my seeds and this keeps them somewhat organized.

Last year, I divided my seeds into cans, according to when I was planning to sow them. But I still have them all jumbled up in their cans, and by now, they are very mixed up.

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips

LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #7418635

Here's the file box

LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #7418649

Here's my binder system.

enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 2, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7418688

Summer Hill Seeds has the concept I am looking for - only I would like a pic too.

Oh, I am getting ahead of myself - Binder system - I LOVE the binder system!!

Anyone else up for giving it a whirl??

Does anyone else use MS Office Word 2007? That is what I have or if you have a better formatting idea - let me know.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7418721

I'm about to turn in for the night, just turning everything off and checking d-mails. I'm now running a fever so got to have caught something. Gonna just lay around a while so now worries. I'll be back one day.
As for office or what ever, I barely know what a computer is but I think those programs are on my computer, just don't know what they are for or how to use them. Got LOTS of programs though.
Word perfect
open office
Word perfect office 12
word perfect office ready
I think there is something else too but don't see it right now, fever is high and eyes burning too much.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7418730

I, too, want pictures. I was thinking about downloading a picture from their catalog, printing it out, and putting it with the packets. Most of the seeds that I packaged up had a picture of its parent plant from my garden with the info. I didn't put sowing instruction with them, though. I would like to add that for next year. I started my labels in Word, and ended up using Works because my trial use of Word ended.
My first attempts at the labels are down right embarrassing. I didn't know how to change fonts or resize, and I didn't know how much info to include. By the time I finished, though, it was getting to be fun. Next year will be much easier because the basic info is saved, it will just need to be updated and add new seeds. Wish I were more organized! Any ideas?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7418736

yep, come to my house and help me do mine.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #7418742

The computer I'm using does not have all the things I'm used to having. I worked for 8 years and had to use every program I had to do my job. Plus I've taken computer training classes. I wish I had my own computer so I could have all my programs that I like.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7418746

I would love to, Mekos. I have never been east of Iowa.
You go to bed, and get well. I have a bag of seeds to send to you this week. Did you see them in my first picture?

I would also like to add WS info on my seed packs, but heck, I don't want a whole book on each packet. Plus, this is my 2nd year to ws, so I am not an expert.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7418758

I just had a brainstorm, what if we put the basic info on the pack and set up a link to get the full info online. Who ever gets the pack of seeds can click on the link for the rest of the book.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7418760

I'm just kinda thinking out loud here but we could put what worked best for us and our zone and how they grew and what time of year got blooms and such on the link. Any thoughts on this?
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #7418771

That sound like a good plan, as we are all in different zones. I am Zone 7b, also, but it is probably different than what you grow, Mekos. I always thought, until just recently, that 7b here is the same as 7b elsewhere,
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7418778

Me too, but soils are different and climates differ as well. That is one thing I learned from this site talking to everyone else. Some say they can't grow something I grow easy. If we could just get all the info set up on one site and everyone just keep their parts updated. Well, really going now, my head hurts and feeling really sick again. Good night.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 2, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7418798

Darn Mekos, hate to hear you are sick - you get some well deserved rest, drink lots of fluids and get to feeling better.

You will be amazed at the amount of info you can get on one seed packet if you really want to. I am playing around with a couple of designs. How do you get ahold of an Admin person here? If I come up with something for the packet - we can post where the others are maybe - so everyone has access.

My brain hurts folks - gotta hit the hay. Keep them packet ideas coming!
It looks like the plant file here will do about everything we want - as far as info goes - except winter sowing - I don't think that info is there.
So much for that - I don't know what to do or how to do it - but let's do something! I like to do stuff!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7418826

Mekos Hope you are feeling better soon., not a good way to start out the new year... .. I like the idea of the "Seed Junkies" envelopes... would be nice if certain color font represented perennial or annuals...maybe a certain quick easy symbol might represent Wsing or spring sowing.. The amount of sun needed... Im not smart enough to make all this happen tho...I dont have any of those programs on my computer... My son just got a new laptop for Xmas maybe he has something on there I can use with the new windows 7.. I havent even looked at it...

Lynn that binder looks nice...I think I could make that work...I may to look for me one of those as long as you keep all your seeds in those nice lil packages... I have some in in plastic grocery bags and some plastic freezer baggies..Most are in small individual packs tho... Ok guess I better get in the bed too...See you all tomorrow.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7419172

There is a vinca in the upper right hand corner of you pic enidc. The rest is the cactus and ivy but that one is a vinca or at least that is what it is called around here and it is the same thing I have and that is what it said on the tag that came with it.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7419497

Get well son Mekos.
Candles you could put WS for seeds that can be winter sown and maybe zone numbers after that to show which zones it does well that way. S for spring F for fall and there's sun symbols you can use if you can copy them to show full sun partial sun or shade or just use FS PS S for that part. D for those that need covered and L for those that need light to spout and you could indicate sowing depth after these letters. You can get quite a bit of info on a seed packet using just the abbreviations LOL
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7419903

The fumble fingered beast that I am, it seems much easier for me to use the #3 coin envelopes from Staples rather than cut, fold, and tape everything together. I haven't had much luck doing that anyway. I can easily print Avery #8160 labels right off my MS Word program although I haven't quite mastered the photo part of it yet. Labels are printed 30 per sheet in just seconds and peel off easily for use on the envelopes. It probably costs a little more, but saves me a lot of time in the long run.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #7420443

Well, I got up about noon today feeling much better and fever is gone. Must have been a bug of some kind. Sure zapped me though.
Got a sweet surprise today. My mail just run and I got my bulbs I ordered a while back from Thailand that were suppose to be here in nov. but just arrived. I had given up and thought they were not coming but was fooled today when they showed. They were suppose to send 3 bulbs and there were 4 and 2 of them had a baby growing to the side which soon will seperate and make 2 more so there will be 6 pretty soon. WOW what a surprise. OH it was the Amorphophallus Sumawongii. It blooms white. I'm so excited.

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #7420714

Beautiful. Can't wait to see them.
Glad You are feeling better, mekos.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #7420844

Glad you are feeling better Mekos...Hope it doesnt take you long to recover... some times those blasted bugs take a few days to get over...Cold here today and windy.. brrrrr I wanted to get out and work but...didnt take me long to decide I'd find something to do in the house lol...So here I sit talking to you all.. wink..
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2010
10:35 PM

Post #7420939

Nicer inside anyway. I got my seed catalogs out showing my hubby all the wonderful stuff I got to have and he likes them also.
Thanks for all the well wishes, guess it was just a bug, I'm good now.
Guess what- I found the Egret flower and Clivia bush lily I was looking for so those are definately coming to my house. Got to have em. hehe I'm so glad he likes plants too. I'm really lucky he likes to look at the books too.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2010
1:59 AM

Post #7421487

Endi when you get the package and organizing all figured out be sure to let me know. If there is one thing I need it is a system. I couldn't even post a picture you wouldn't know where to even start with it. I have seeds in the fridge whole drawer of them then I have buckets baskets crates envelopes bulk, divided, Veggies, flowers, herbs, If I could find a system oh my dreams would have come true...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7421959

Ive been slobbering over those catalogs too...I have so many seeds to get planted now I cant imagine ordering any thing else but that doesnt stop me from wanting them... Ive got my eye on some gladiolus bulbs and tuberous begonias.. My son bought me a bag of Tahita daffodils bulbs home today... Should I put them in the fridge till spring? Plant them the next warm day?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #7421983

I slobbered over 4 catalogs so far and have $265.00 ordered so far. Now I have to get my order for herbs made out and ready to send. Spring better hurry up. I need to get things planted and growing. Flowers, veggies and everything.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7422040

oh... sounds like you've been having fun... Ha I could spend up alot of money...It wouldnt take long to spend 300.00 with the price of things I've been looking at...If im going to be spending money I better get a job..One of those work from home jobs or something maybe...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #7422046

Are you ordering seeds Marti or plants?
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7422069

night all
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #7422183

Hunny, you can plant your bulbs now, this is when you are suppose to plant for blooms this spring. Get them in ground now girl.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 3, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7422264

Well, Mr. fumble fingers - how clever are you? Duh, we have Staples right here in Enid. Are they the 2 1/4 x 3 1/2 ones? They would slip perfectly into the baseball card binder pages!
Now, for a wonderful label system...
Is anyone else intersted in using the binder/coin envy system? I think I am going to give it whirl regardless but if I am making labels anyway and if everyone had access - it might make someone's life easier.

Give me your thoughts

Been gone all day and worn out - going to bed! Night All
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7422268

Night candles. I would love to see what you end up with. I think we all are interested.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 3, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #7422270

By the way Al - it is kinda nice to have a man around! I was trying to come up with something "cute" and you have already come up with something pracical. I'm tellin' ya, men and women do not think alike!

10 years from now I would still be taping and gluing, cutting out little packets...
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #7422309

I have spent the evening copy/paste the flower images and info from the Summerhill site for the seeds I ordered from them. My "Works" is not working tonight, so I saved them all in Wordpad. However, I could not format the page to get columns and the size I wanted. Too tired to dink with it anymore. I was able to get 3 per page, so they are ginormous, but I might just print them anyway and save the info sheets in the binder.
Staples, huh? Good find. I am liking my "binder method" so far because I like to look at my seeds and this way, they are not in a can. Also, I will keep the seed envelope/info for further info. If I plant a packet in jug #1, for instance, I will write #1 on the seed packet. This is probably being redundant, but since I do not recognize what seedling is what, maybe this will help. When I collect seeds next year for you all, I want to tell you (accurately) what you are getting!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7423273

wow you all were up late last night...See what I went to bed and missed lol...

I like the look of your binder Lynn Im going to be looking for me one..Try to duplicate the method to your madness haha...

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2010
9:58 PM

Post #7424154

Looking at my Staples box - the #3 coin envelopes are 2 1/2" X
4 1/4", don't know if they will fit in the baseball card pages but you can try. If not then maybe a larger size page such as one used for photos. The coin envelopes are a little pricey, about $12 - 13 per box of 250 if I remember right. Sure beats a lot of cutting and pasting though. The peel and stick Avery labels are a snap.

Al

enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 4, 2010
12:30 AM

Post #7424661

Al - look http://www.staples.com/Staples-1-2-1-4-x-3-1-2-Brown-Kraft-Coin/product_535062?cmArea=SEARCH the ones you buy online are the correct size and are 16.99 for a box of 500
I think that is what I am gonna get. I don't know if they have them in the store here or not, I buy most of my office supplies for the site and have them delivered. I never think about being out of paper, ink..when I am in town. A little crazy I guess - just can't seem to remember to think about everything!

I am working on a label design that we can all use if you want to. Not done with it yet though, trying to give it lots of thought and get all the important details on there.

Gonna be really cold here this week I think -1 on Wednesday - yucky!! Have to stay inside.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America