Using Mason stains with clay

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Has anyone used Mason stains to create colored clay or slip? I have some basic ideas about what to do, but personal experience is always helpful.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

I've wedged various oxides into white clay to "marble" it, which is similar. Basically I just sprinkled a little onto already-wedged clay, and then wedged a little more to distribute the color & threw normally.

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Yep, it's currently my favorite way to work. I've used several stains and have colored slip and clay.

Stafford, VA(Zone 7a)

I have only used different clays together to get a marble effect. WHite an red and what I like even better is to combine Black and red clays togetehr. It comes out looking like leather.

WHat is a MASON Stain?

deb

It's a powdered stain, Deb. I bought some at our ceramics supply store - they have tons of colors - and I want to experiment with colored slip. Thought I might as well try coloring some clay, too, since I have a good amount - I think it's called teal.

Does it stain your hands at all, or is it pretty much wash-off? What kind of amounts are needed to color slip (using a light colored clay)? Is it "what you see is what you get?"

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Mason stains are a wysiwyg (what you see is what you get). To get a saturated color you need a lot of stain and that will change the compensation of the clay so don't plan on a dark color. I use mason stains for terra sig and to mix liquid stains. They are the same thing that masons us to color grout. To get a good red or orange t is best to use encapsulated mason stains. I am sorry I can't tell you what is encapsulated about them.

Terra sig is what I had in mind, zen. What do you use for a deflocculant?

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Kasper, I haven't been able to make canes like folks do with polymer clay...the texture is just wrong and the clay too sticky. I'm thinking that maybe if I experiment with allowing the clay to dry out a little prior to working with it I may have more success. Right now I'm working on a bowl made out of various marbled / stained clays - it's leather hard and I filled the small areas between the pieces with a different colored slip. Don't know if it will make it through the drying process but will let you know.

Stafford, VA(Zone 7a)

I'd lov to see it Shelley!!!!!

deb

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Well, doesn't look like much right now. Once it dries I'll go over it with some sandpaper (wearing a mask of course :) ) and that will make the pieces more defined. I also want to do more to texture the outside...not sure what yet.

Thumbnail by shelley1962

Oh boy, can't wait to see how this turns out. :-)

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I use Sodium Silicate as a deflocculant.

That's what I intended to buy, Zen, thanks!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

You are welcome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images