Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Growing lentils?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 25, Views: 232
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plantRN
(Beth) L'ville, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #7413800

I love lentils--they are so versatile and good for you! Can anyone offer advice on growing lentils? How large should the planting space be? Are they relatively hardy in most climates? Are any varieties easier to grow and harvest? Thanks in advance! Beth
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #7413972

PlantRN, Lentils are one thing I have never tried to grow, so I do not know much about them except that they are drought tolerant and like cool weather like English peas. There are a lot of how to articles on the internet. In North America most is grown in the drier areas of the high plains. (Wheat production areas) http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/lentil.html. Here are some of the How to artcles http://www.ehow.com/how_2059820_grow-lentils.html http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/07/how_to_grow_lentil.html http://msuextension.org/publications/AgandNaturalResources/MT199615AG.pdf http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/pulsecrops/bhf01s01.html http://www.heirloom-organics.com/guide/va/guidetogrowinglentils.html http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/lentil.html
mariannebags
sydney (menai)
Australia

January 5, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #7429703

it seems they are pretty much like bean but maybe need less water. It might be that they are very easy to grow just not the traditional vegie ; good luck with it and let us know how you go
plantRN
(Beth) L'ville, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
10:06 PM

Post #7431764

Thanks farmerdill for the links and mariannebags for the vote of confidence. Seems as if lentils are not difficult to grow--much like pole beans. But...actually finding lentil seeds IS difficult. Best way to get seeds in the US is as lentil sprouts. I will keep investigating and let you know what I find. Thanks again! Happy 2010! Beth
mariannebags
sydney (menai)
Australia

January 6, 2010
3:02 AM

Post #7433061

maybe try ebay ?
plantRN
(Beth) L'ville, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2010
3:26 AM

Post #7433148

marianne! Great idea! I found one seller with HEIRLOOM lentil beans/seeds! This seller has several heirloom bean varieties--pretty interesting. I will let you know how my lentil experiment works out!
mariannebags
sydney (menai)
Australia

January 6, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7433891

I'm glad to be of help.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7434108

The grocery stores here sell lentils, both the grey and red in the dry beans/peas section. Cheap way to see if they will work. I get all my Blackeye peas that way.
plantRN
(Beth) L'ville, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2010
11:38 PM

Post #7436232

Farmerdill--I wondered if I could just go buy dry lentils and plant them...but being the total newbie at veggie growing that I am, I didn't know if that would work. I also wonder if the lentils that are available as "sprouting" lentils would work in the veggie garden. Seems like they would. :) Here's my plan: going to buy some dry lentils at the grocery and plant a few in planting trays (cheap and easy). If they sprout and seem strong and healthy, then I will know I can use that method later in the winter for spring planting.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7438385

plantRN - sounds like a good plan. Let us know if it works, because I was wondering the same thing. I buy dried organic black beans from the supermarket when I run out of my own. It would be great if I could grow from them.

As a child I grew peas from dried ones my mother purchased in the store. I remember having to soak them first.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7438507

I bet it will work! Keep us posted. When you buy bean seeds and such they are just dried beans - lol.
plantRN
(Beth) L'ville, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #7440780

I think it will work! My grandpa always went to the local co-op and bought dried beans for his green bean crop every year. I'm gonna give it a try, anyway! :) I have nothing to lose but the cost of a bag of lentils--it they don't work, I'll just cook 'em up and eat 'em!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7441944

I think it will work, too - unless the lentils/beans are old or have been heated - then they might not.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2010
12:44 AM

Post #7453437

They definitely will sprout. I put some lentils in a sprouting jar 3 days ago and some of them are beginning to sprout. I don't expect that I'll get a high germination rate because these seeds are of unknown age. I think they are at least 5 years old.
treehugggr
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7463523

As a vegetarian and very protective of my bodily temple, I eat copious amounts of cooked and raw sprouted lentils. My Sicilian grandma made the BEST! I am in perpetual homage to her since I eat lentils every day. Oh yea, there was a point to all this... As a vegetarian, I find many viable varieties of lentils from my sprout-suppliers. They come in many colors, The black ones, and the French blues are best IMO!
Try these suppliers:
http://www.gourmetseed.com
http://www.wheatgrasskits.com

As with any Leguminaceae, you will want to inoculate the seed with a mycorhizobium inoculant, to ensure plant vigor and reliable crop. You may just do well without it. Somebody stop me if I'm wrong. The inoculant is normally $4 for a quantity to inoculate a few pounds of seed.
Bibi1973
Liberty, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #7618892

Hello, I'm new and will introduce myself properly later but wanted to let you know that I rinsed some dried lentils three times a day for two days and they began to sprout. I used most of them in a recipe but decided to put one sprouted lentil in a pot with potting mix and that was a week ago. It's now a little plant and it's 2" :-)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7619906

Cool!

Welcom, Bibi!
plantRN
(Beth) L'ville, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2010
11:21 PM

Post #7620494

Oh my! Bibi--that is fantastic! I'll admit it...I've not tried sprouting mine yet. I'm still trying to get my tomato seeds planted. But you have inspired me--gonna soak some of those lentils I bought weeks ago! Thanks for posting your success! keep us updated!
k3n
Monroe, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7621926

Last spring (2009) I just grabbed some green/brown lentils from a bulk bin at Fred Meyer and stuck them in a 3 gallon black nursery pot (4 of them) and all sprouted and grew very easily. They are like a hardy bushy small leaved pea plant. Well, they are like a stringy bush and may not support themselves. As I planted 4 in one pot about 2 inches apart in a square pattern, the 4 bushes intertwined and supported each other. I ate some green off the plants and they were yummy. I let the bulk stay on until the plants browned and died, then harvested the dry little pods (each with 1 to 3 lentil peas/beans) inside. After harvesting and though they were "dry" there was enough moisture that some started meldewing. So, I put those spread on a cookie sheet and placed then in a 300F oven for 5 or so minutes to kill the mildew and further dry them (note, these were all still in their little pods/shells). So, just a couple of days ago and grabbed these oven dried previously mildewed pods and wanted to test to see if they were viable and would sprout, since I did oven drying (for the first time ever). And out of the 5 I planted indoors, 4 have now sprouted.

P.S.: I also grew yellow chickpeas (garbanzo beans) last year, which I also got from the Fred Meyer bulk bins. Both of these beans/peas (legumes/pulses) are fantastic for home gardens and are way under grown by us American gardeners! AND, fresh chickpeas are YUMMY. The other thing nice about lentils and chickpeas are the same as beans and peas, let them dry and they keep well for future use and have good protein and many other nutrient content!
k3n
Monroe, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7622025

Oh, by the way. I prefer heirloom seeds and definitely do not want GMO seeds. But I have yet to hear of GMO lentils or chickpeas, so I am hoping my bulk lentils and chickpeas from the groceries are okay. I won't touch any corn product from a grocery (possibly from a natural food store) to plant at home. :-)

P.S.:
I have a feeling anyone on eBay selling "heirloom" lentils are buying lentils from the grocery and repackaging into small seed envelopes and making a big profit. LOL
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7633961

Lol I wish I had thought of that. You wantna buy some lentils. I need to go to Wally World to night :-)
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2010
9:47 PM

Post #7640003

Great thread! Thanks to all. I love lentils and I live where summers can be coolish and dryish. Also I had been wondering how to plant them and where to get seeds.

I hope this thread gets bumped next winter when I'm buying next years' seeds. Right now I have more than I can fit in the garden.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #7640259

You Lentil fans may enjoy this http://www.growingproduce.com/news/avg/?storyid=3512

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #7664374

I'm so glad to read that others like lentils as much as I do. I've already purchased Soy bean and Black bean seeds for this summer's garden. I bet I could find a little space for some black lentils, too.
taranne
rio rancho, NM
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7695751

So glad I ran across this thread! I love lentils! I have some orange ones from a dry bin at the grocery store and wold love to try and grow them. How do you "sprout" them? just soak them in water? and then put in small pot with soil? Thanks!
k3n
Monroe, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7696506

You can pre-soak then plant or just plant the hard bean.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America