Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: New bees chit chat Come in!! 12/31/09 Happy New Year!!

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 345, Views: 1,271
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
12:33 AM

Post #7414642

Last new thread of the Year come on in and start the New year with us!!
Some history of New Years Traditions... http://wilstar.com/holidays/newyear.htm

This message was edited Dec 31, 2009 7:34 PM

Thumbnail by arejay59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
12:37 AM

Post #7414653

It worked! I'm here.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #7414659

Now we're all over the place - lol...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #7414660

Hi Jan...Welcome ...Happy New year... I just Saw one of the twins made a new thread we have two I will link them in case people get lost...Sorry girls...BRB

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
12:39 AM

Post #7414662

Nice turkeys Robin!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010

Post #7414664

Hi Kel
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
12:42 AM

Post #7414679

Happy New Year everyone!!! Any new year plans?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
12:42 AM

Post #7414682

Yup - staying home with the hubbs and kiddos and ordering pizza... Safest place to be tonight!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
12:44 AM

Post #7414689

Same here. Just looking at new seed catalogs and drooling over all the pictures.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
12:57 AM

Post #7414764

Turkeys at your doorstep!!! Nice. Thanks for pic.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
1:05 AM

Post #7414788

Hehehe Them buzzards are watching Robin through the window to see when she starts to leave and they can come in and eat her seed stash. LOL They know exactly what they are doing!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
1:09 AM

Post #7414810

they are probably drooling for some birdseed!!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
1:11 AM

Post #7414822

Ya and them flower seeds would be bird seed to them BIRDS!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
1:12 AM

Post #7414830

They will plant them for her, you think?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
1:15 AM

Post #7414837

Hahahhahahahahahahaha yea right in their bellies.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
1:19 AM

Post #7414855

Mekos, just look at the poor little turkeys up there. They are standing out there in the snow shivering and wanting something to eat to keep them warm. Poor little Beady-eyed birds.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
1:30 AM

Post #7414894

Poor Little birds..LoL ...those are the best fed turkeys in Maine do you see the size of them?????
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2010
1:36 AM

Post #7414914

I know! My husband would love to se them up close and personal! He wants to wish them a Happy hew year, too.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
1:36 AM

Post #7414915

They are Beautiful. I have found turkey feathers in the pasture. Probably eating mule food.
They better watch out for that dog gone Donkey gelding. After I saw the chicken feathers I wouldn't put anything past him.
A.T. is an onery little cuss.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7415618

Nice looking turkeys...bet they would be even better stuffed! (and not with your seeds!)

Happy New Years Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7416086

Oh no now stuffing good thing its snowing by the foot you cant catch them!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7416705

Poor Turkeys!!! Maybe the New year
will get them out of these folks"hungry stares"☺
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

January 1, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #7416767

Happy New Year! Headed to Mom's today to bring in the New Year and have Christmas, as she was in AZ for Christmas and just got back! Seems she kinda likes the weather in your neighborhood, Kel! Apparently not as much snow, LOL!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7416933

Happy New Year everyone, time to count seeds for Spring and order more! Golly, do I really need more?

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7416963

Probably not, but we feel like we do, don't we?
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7417350

So much dirt...so little seeds...yeah we all need more!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #7417517

Sandi - glad your Mom enjoyed the weather. We sure do. Everyone can't wait for spring, but for us that means summer is right behind it - lol...

Al - one can never have too many seeds . . .
seray53

January 2, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7420678

Happy New Year Everyone!

Nice retreat. Nice to be back. I hope everyone ate lots of goodies and had a wonderful holiday! Missed ya'll!

I see we have some new friends. Welcome!

In the 20's tonight. Brrrr! LOL
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

January 3, 2010

Post #7421359

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

nice turkeys arejay, i wish they were at my house, they would be spoiled here, i have the woods behind me and have only an oppossum that comes to eat. i need to put a feeder out for the deer and what ever wants it maybe this spring,
i love to just watch them.
you all have a wonderful night
blondie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2010
1:41 AM

Post #7421439

Happy new year Blondie, hope your son is doing better.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2010
1:54 AM

Post #7421475

Happy New Year everyone. Welcome back Seray how was your retreat?
seray53

January 3, 2010
1:58 AM

Post #7421485

Hi Arejay

Retreat was quiet. No phones, no computer. Two weeks! Just books and walks etc. Nice change. Glad to be back though. Love the turkeys.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2010
2:00 AM

Post #7421489

It is great isnt it...I am looking forward myself to the same. Soon it will be soon.
seray53

January 3, 2010
2:08 AM

Post #7421521

Here's to peace and quiet! LOL Hard to come by now a days.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #7421807

Just got back from the doctor and I have asthmatic bronchitis...which means if I move too much I hack my head off...so three med's and a "stay in bed" order and I should be fine in a few days.

Well, I have started going through my seeds and found I have oodles and oodles of echinacea...and french marigolds. My step Mom gave me a box of seeds...I had to laugh because they are labeled like..."pink fuzzy flowers" or purple daisy looking flowers...my favorite was the columbine seeds labeled with a question mark and she has been growing them for years!
I was just glad for the box and can't wait to see what these little packets are going to produce...only problem is not knowing where they were growing, sun or shade, or the soil...so I will probably start them inside and see if I can identify them before they go outside.

Anyone need a few echinacea? or marigolds?

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7422185

How funny girl.I addressed all the envelopes with the begonia seeds today so they will go out Monday morning from my post office. Gonna trow them in tomorrow. They already stamped so just let me know when they arrive.
seray53

January 3, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7422951

Morning everyone!

Feel better soon Jar. I prescribe a bunch of new seed catalogs. Hopefully that will make you heal quicker.

Chilly this am. Just now warming up to 32. Zone 9a's winter. Plants are now mush like everyone elses.

Hope you have a great day!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7423353

I am up to 28 degrees. Hope you are feeling better Jar, we will say a "donkey Prayer" for you tonight to get better.
I have Backup-my donkeys carry the cross. How special can you get?? I love my longears. Yes, Catalogs help the time go by ver well.
Or searching on google how to plant seed. I love these silly computors., most of the time.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 3, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7423632

This is what I have been doing in my "spare" time. I can't look at seed catalogs - I want EVERYTHING! They go straight to the trash! I read Garden Gate and Birds and Blooms - no other "wish" books for me - just gets me in more trouble.
Made this for my BF for Christmas - in the process of making toad house now.

Only 25 here today - staying inside! Cleaning out bedroom closet right now - making more room to stash stuff so DH doesn't complain about money I spent. LOL

Thumbnail by enidcandles

enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 3, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7423638

Here is the other side

Thumbnail by enidcandles

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7423647

Bowling ball? Beautiful job.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7423653

That is so pretty. You guys are so talented.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 3, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7423666

Yep - it is a bowling ball. This is my first attempt - will probably do the outline different next time - it doesn't "pop" like I wanted it to - but it's not too bad. Heck - it goes outside, it's not like she is gonna put it in the middle of the kitchen table or something.

It takes forever to glue all the little glass things on but I enjoy doing it. I would send you one RRM but it is kinda heavy!!

Oh, and I figured out why you haven't gotten your package from me yet - it was returned. Someone sent it out with no address on it. Odd how if you do it right, packages arrive in just a few days - do it wrong and it takes weeks to get them back. Oh well, intended for you to have it before Christmas since it is a peppermint candle (I ordered the oils just for you). I will get it off this week AGAIN - is there anything else I need to slip in there with it?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7423732

I know girl, those Bowling balls are Heavy!! I haven't done that yet. Are you going to grout it Now that is the mesy part. I made some butterflies last year. Need to do it again. ...I need to have you around to make me laugh!!! No wonder I didn't get it. That sounds like something I'd do. i want that leaf from Begonia but I know it will Freeze. Start me one for next summer. We'll trade then...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 3, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7423830

Nope, no grout - tried that and didn't like it - my pattern got "lost". I painted the ball red - she has a red door on her house - they glued the thingys on with GE silicone for windows/doors. They should stay for a good long while. It is done - I am gonna take it outside and take a pic, I really think it will look better in natural light.

I am rooting you a begonia - don't want to freeze the poor little guy by mailing now, he can wait- I promise to take good care of him (if I remember where I put him LOL). I am such a mess - I am tellin ya, I am too old for a baby in the house - makes me just plain STUPID. I have to make lists now or can't get anything done!!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #7423937

Thank you for the well wishes...and I did order lots of new catalogs...also took on a great project for spring...I think it will keep me busy planning it...I am in a very rural town with less than 30,000 people and over half are below poverty level. The food banks (we have two) have trouble keeping up with the demand, so I talked with some people and got a neighbor to agree to come over and plow up about 1/2 acre to put in a community garden for the food banks. Not going to grow anything fancy, just tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, cucumbers, and squash. At least that is the list so far...May try a couple other veggies but want to keep it simple so there is plenty for sharing come harvest...lots of families need help. I am growing the tomato, pepper, ans squash plants from seeds I saved from last year. I really don't think these people care if the tomato grows true as long as it can be eaten!

Seray, RRM, Enid...hope you all stay warm in this weird weather...and they say there is a global warming scare...yeah ok! My temps keep dropping and the growing season keeps getting shorter...I am moving down there with all of you! lol

And I really love that bowling ball. I have a battered green one here I might try that with.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 3, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #7423997

Jar - let me know if you try the bowling ball idea - it is really easy! Glad you are feeling better.
You just move right on down here - there is already a community garden in Enid, so you could just walk in and help out! I haven't ever been there but I have heard it is a pretty nice set up - they grow veggies for the soup kitchens and such. Those that participate of course get what they need - it is a great program.

Has anyone every used the stacking pots? I thought this might be a great way to grow a "salad" garden.
The pic came from here - a sight in the UK http://www.stack-n-plant.co.uk/

Thumbnail by enidcandles

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7424001

Come on down, you will be welcome. But maybe just a little bit warmer. It is finally 34, over freezing. You are going to stay busy this next year. You already have it planned out.
You take care of yourself and don't get out of bed too soon.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #7424017

Girl, those are from England! But there is some in the states I have checked them out and they seem like a great idea.
Let me go see if I can find them.

http://www.comforthouse.com/planter3.html

These are Stateside, don't have to cross the water for these.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2010 4:24 PM

This message was edited Jan 3, 2010 4:43 PM
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #7424065

I do a one pot salad garden every year that grows on my front porch...I start with a 7 gallon container and drive a garden stake right down the middle. I plant a cherry tomato plant by the stake and then at 12 0'clock is a green pepper, at 3 o'clock is a cucumber vine I let trail out of the pot, at 6 is leaf lettuce and at 9 is about 4 green onions...I replant the lettuce and onions twice...another pot sits right beside it and holds radishes. I love these and they make great spring time gifts for anybody who loves salads.

I thought they would make great herb gardens.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2010
10:14 PM

Post #7424197

Hey - I've got an old bowling ball in my closet! Never could hit anything with it. I think I remember seeing them painted up to look like giant garden bugs, shiney globes and such.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2010
10:21 PM

Post #7424218

Hey, Al. You should try your hand at decorating one and let us see it.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 4, 2010
12:33 AM

Post #7424676

A cookie for Charley and a big hug for you RRM - those just look extremely practical to me. I think a will order one or two and see what happens.

It is cold! We just got back from starting the semis - they are not real fond of cold weather - the old beasts really don't want to go when it is this cold. Can't blame them, I don't either but we gotta make money so I can spend it.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2010
12:59 AM

Post #7424757

Hey Al, decorate you a lady bug out of yours. Would be cute sitting in your flower garden. You guys could build you a stackable garden box. Just make three or how ever many you want to stack,and each one bigger than the first.Then just turn each box to a different direction when stacking and you might want to add something in the middle to help take up space from having to use so much soil and help hold up the top boxes. Use treated wood and if you want you could paint it but if not it would be ok if it were treated wood. Fill with soil and plant.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

January 4, 2010
2:02 AM

Post #7424976

hi all,
love that bowling ball, i may have to do it too, i think mine is in the shed under everything, havent seen it for a good 20 years and dont plan on starting again, it is purple too, my favorite color and most of the color in the garden, will have to be my spring break project, good idea enid.

i have to tell you all my husband and oldest son are sooo funny, the cows in the pasture were screaming, we all went i took a bag of bread like usual my husband and son walked the other way while i stopped to feed the girls, next thing i here is them laughing and them running thru the brush, the cows thought they had food and scared them to death i laughed so hard at them, men
well, off to my projects i have to finish
you all have a good night catch ya later
blondie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2010
2:34 AM

Post #7425059

Hehehe, cows want fed too. Once you do it, they look for food everytime you go out there wheather you got it or not. That would have been a sight for sore eyes. LOL
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 4, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7425586

I have seen the bowling balls painted too. They are pretty cool personally, I am not that talented.
Mekos - the build it idea is great, it would just never happen. I plant to build stuff and end up with a pile of stuff to build stuff with and eventually a trip to the dump. If I am going to have tiered pots, I better buy them.

I think I will try one, only salad problem we have is DH really only likes lettuce and dressing. I am not much better - maybe a cucumber and some snow peas and cherry tomatoes. Can I grow snow peas? I may need to check into that. Again, I know nothing - just think it would be cool to go out and pick a salad!

Good night all - been a really long day! The baby came home tonight - he has been with his mother since Thursday - poor guy, all he wanted to do was sit on my lap. That was just too much visit for him!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #7425820

Gosh girl, even I could build that. Just cut 4 pieces for the sides and put a bottom on and nail it all together. You can use a hand saw or skill saw to cut with and a hammer and nails OR screws and screw driver, are not hard to use. You are just building a box not a house. Go to the lumber place and ask for scrap pieces and save money. At the lumber place here where I live they will give you the scrap pieces that are damaged or short pieces, you can get decking boards and short plywood or lattice or what ever is not useable to them. That is the cheapest kind you can get.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7426329

Mekos, I like that idea...our lumber yard does the same thing except they stack it all in boxes and it's a dollar a box but some of the pieces are really nice...I have made small planter boxes with the scraps...but never thought about the bigger ones...I like the idea of alternating the stacking too...you could always use a small piece of plywood to section the boxes off into threes so the middle could have a hole cut out and a pipe ran through so the wind doesn't take it down...hmmmm...

Ok, coffee is on and the western omelets almost done...lots of veggies...I already started a pot of vegetable soup this morning...my daughter's boyfriend butchered a cow and brought over 25 pounds of meat last night as a belated Christmas present...he's a great guy...

well, have a great day and stay warm...we had lots of snow this morning already and it's not letting up yet! uhg...

*running off to see about making a planter...hehehehhehhee
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7426814

When you finish, show us how you did it. It might get others experimenting too. I'm going to try some later on this spring. I saw a picture of one a while back I want to try if I can remember what it looked like and get it right. If I do get it made, I'll post a picture.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7427141

Hello all .. Mekos and Jar I do hope you guys are feeling better today.. Cold here with a few snow flurries today... A very few of course..Endi your bowling ball is cute.. Ok I have to go pick up my son I'll be back later.. Hope you all have a great day...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #7427160

You too Hunny. Stay warm.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7427162

Hey, you all. Cold here 28. Winter is here.
then I looked up and I have a moonvine bud forming.
I am so happy, I will have a bllom yet.
Mekos, what size is MOJO, Ihave a little jacket but I got to
put buttons on it. My baby too fat. She looks smaller than Radar. It say
XSM on size. Heck, You can put it on that beautiful cat. He won't be able to do anything.
Cats are so funny when you put clothes on them. They just get limp. Been a long time since I even thought of that...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7427210

You are too funny-putting clothes on cats, mine would bite you first. Have you ever tried to get a cat to dance? My grandma showed me YEARS ago. Put a piece of tape on their feet and just watch. SOooooo cute.LOL I used paper tape, easier to take off.
The dog coats I bought were xxs(smallest made) and was very tight so I guess just the xs or small. Hmmm I'll go measure around her shest and see how many inches she is. I'm not sure if I can find a tape measure off hand though. I'll go see.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2010

Post #7427226

Don't worry about it.
I'll put girlie buttons on this one and it is yours...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 4, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7427616

Hey all - been to town buying supplies - dang it is cold! 26 right now and dropping - supposed to get below zero Wed. and boy I can't wait! DH just called, I go back to work driving semi tomorrow - the guy we have just can't handle the cold weather - lung problems I think sooo - off to work I go. I bought wool socks and new gloves and hand warmers today so maybe I won't freeze to death. Our trucks are old International cabovers - heaters don't work real good but better than nothing sorta!

I will be on some in the evenings I hope - time will be very limited now! Y'all have a wonderful day and stay warm!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7427644

You be careful out there on the highway, Lori. Prayers are with you in your travels.
Ion sent me a d-mail. Her subscription is up on DG so we won't be hearing from her so much. She wanted me to let you all know. I am going to miss Kim. I miss our new friends when we don't hear from them.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #7427758

Lori, don't you forget us. Sorry about Ion. Maybe she will be back soon. Gosh we keep loseing people around here.
I'm switching internet so I'm on borrowed time and could go off suddenly. I decided to drop Direct tv like a rock in water and forgot my internet was there too. I already turned it off and installed dish but totally forgot that my internet was hooked with direct tv too. BUMMER! So as soon as it's time is up and ends, I'll be going back to dial up I guess. That is all I can get out here unless I go with Hugh's net and that costs too much. I'm thinking about All tell wireless. It's only 50.00 a month with a contract of 2 years. I just have to buy the Beta card and put it in my computer. I may try that a little later, not sure which but just in case I disappear you know what happened. My temper and direct tv didn't agree.
When I win the lottery, I'll get Hugh's net.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 4, 2010
10:07 PM

Post #7427876

Dang Mekos - you can't go away!! What would I ever do without you?? Bummer, bummer, bummer!! All I have to do is go to work - that's bad enough but I can't lose you too! A full time job, a one year old, a senior in high school, a grouchy old man, four cats two dogs and all these darn plants.
Who's gonna keep me sane? And do you know how much trouble RRM and I could get into without a little guidance? I bet we could stir up enough to get ourselves in WAY over our heads!
Nope, you gotta stay - are you really sure the service you have now is worse than dial up? Yuck!

Well, if you go off, I will try to keep up with you by snail mail!
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

January 4, 2010
10:07 PM

Post #7427884

well hellos everyone

be careful on the road enid, keep in touch so as we know you are alright.

hey jan, i have the winning mega ball, my husband went to get two lotto and she gave him one of each so when i win i will pay for you lol but if i loose well i guess i wont be able to do it. i hope i win.
well off to fix dinner for thy hubby, hes cold and hungry.
blondie
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2010
10:55 PM

Post #7428082

Lori and Charlene...got some WONDERFUL SEEDS in the mail today...thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!! I am sooooo excited!!! As soon as I am able to get out of the house, I will return the favor.

Mekos...first, hugh's net cost me 100 a month and during peak hours, dial up was faster...you have to request specific bandwidth to actually have a good connection...It may be different now, but that was last year...So I canceled them after 6 months. And Altell only lets you have 5m per month...and then charges extra for any time after that...which equals to a whole lot of money for someone online daily for more than an hour. Unless you can still get that card but when Verizon bought out Altell, stuff went whacky! But you can't leave, you just can't! Not when I just got to know all you wonderful people and all the great welcome you have given me!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2010
11:01 PM

Post #7428109

I know, we don't want to lose you, mekos. What about AT&t, can't you go witit. i know it is a butt!!! but something is better than nothing. Lori's right we need to have you around to keep us straight. What about Charley??? You know Charley is addicted to them Mojitos and sammwitchs. He will have a mule ka-niption fit. You don't eve n want to see that.
Jar so glad you got your seeds. We will be here somewhere fussing about something that we don't like.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2010
11:37 PM

Post #7428246

The dsl from at&t doesn't come this far out in the boonies, I checked,it comes within 3 miles of me but not here. Dial up will be ok for a while till I find something better. I can't afford Hugh's net, I checked on them and Dish only uses At&t phone line for dsl which don't come here. So all I can get is dial up or go wireless. I can get at&t dial up but that is all. I told you guys- I live in the BOONEYS! I wasn't lieing to ya. This town rolls up the side walks when the sun goes down or 4:00pm which ever comes first. If I lived 3 miles away, I could have it all. Go figure. The real problem with dial up is dropped calls all the time. It drove me batty when I had it before but I'll see what I can do when this bites the dust. I'm useing it till it does.
Thanks for all the nice thoughts though, I didn't think anyone would miss me. (Big surprise!)
Hugs to you all and don't worry, Seray and Blondie and Loca will keep you all in check while I'm off. I think they can handle you guys, and there is Arejay and Al and Flower and Hunny and just bunches of re- enforcements to keep yous in line. And have you all forgot about LUCY!!!!!! She will be lurking around.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
12:48 AM

Post #7428502

You'll still be on - just a little slower. We'll have to keep threads short just for you my friend...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
12:56 AM

Post #7428544

That will work. I'll find another good one soon, won't be bad for long, just not looking for a contract thing in case it sucks and I want to change it.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #7428554

Don't feel bad - my parents live in the boonies in Maine and they are limited on services too.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
1:09 AM

Post #7428600

If I ever get rich, I might move to a place with all the high speeds and a tropical climate so not gonna worry.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

January 5, 2010

Post #7428642

oh you coming to florida, well we will welcome you with open arms lol

blondie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
1:45 AM

Post #7428796

Yep, soon as me or my bestest bud wins the lottery. Won't that be fun????? I can anoy you guys in person all day.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

January 5, 2010
1:48 AM

Post #7428814

yep but it wont be annoy it will be fun we will have to plan a week vacation for all of us on us lol
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 5, 2010
2:19 AM

Post #7428937

I would so give up a bunch of stuff to live in the boonies!! I am as close as I will probably ever be to that again now - and I am still in a housing addition - sucks to be me!
I loved not having neighbors for 10 miles - no body just showing up - me and the crickets. That was the first marriage - miss that life! I was 18 and had no idea I was living in paradise - if only...

Glad you won't be gone long Mekos - I think I am scared of Lucy. I have heard her mentioned once before; I am not sure we need to meet.

Jar - not a problem - hope they grow like crazy for you! I will be growing some from the same seed so will be interesting to see how they do so far apart.

RRM - you better get the mojito recipe before Mekos gets the dreaded disconnection - we could get thristy.
By the way, I have an envelope laying here with a big blue mule stamped on it - who do you suppose that is from??

Night guys - gotta be on the road before 6 a.m. so nite nite!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
2:19 AM

Post #7428938

Yea, and before that week is up, you will be saying , Annoying woman! GO HOME! And I'll say, but I live here dear-hehehe.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
2:21 AM

Post #7428941

Good night Lori and be safe. Check in when you can and big hugs to you.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #7429062

Hi Everyone,
Endi that is very pretty, I cant remember way down here who put the info about the salad pot up but do you have a picture you can post? The Community garden dmail me if I can help ok? Jan I use the Verizon wireless card sometimes it works ok if it connects at all where you are. It either works well or doesnt work at all. I dont know the price though and I heard that Verizon is now offering to turn your cell into a hot spot for 24.99 lifetime use and must be something a month but I dont know what. Just let us know when the thread gets to long we will make a new one...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
3:12 AM

Post #7429120

Thanks everyone, we'll get it all worked out. Everyone please stay warm and safe tonight. It's another COLD one for everyone from what I've heard lately and keep a watch on the animals outside too. With the windchill we will be 6 degrees tonight.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2010
3:53 AM

Post #7429254

I live in the boonies toooo... I have Hughes net.. It works well most of the time, unless it is raining or extremely cloudy...It cost 70.00 a month which is ridiculously high but I gave up my landline and dial up which together was costing me about 60 dollars a month so for me it was worth it.. I only used the landline for the computer connection anyway...There is a download limit per day... Unless the kids spend alot of time on UTube we seldom have trouble with that...I cant say Im for it but I sure dont want to be without it!!!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #7429292

Mine now comes from Wild Blue which is sub contracted out to directv and it costs 40.00 a month but to get it directly from Wild blue is about 50 or so and I'm going to try to do that but they won't talk to you as long as you are still connected with directv. So got to wait till it's disconnected to contact them to find out for sure but if not, I can do dial-up for a while. I ONLY e-mail you guys and 3or 4 others and come on here to and talk with mine so I can't justify paying 70.00- 100.00 or more for that. I have a cell phone and my hubby too and we rarely use them either.So it's wasteful to me to pay for so much and not use it. AND I don't want to do the contracts for a couple years they usually want without seeing how it will work for me. So I'm just gonna check around a while and see what is best for me. If it goes off, it won't be for long anyway. I'LL BE BACK!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #7429399

Its definetely a luxury... An over priced one at that... Then again to me Tv is a huge waste of money I never turn mine on, when DH and kids arent home... They spend most of thier time watching reruns and that mess cost me 75.00 a month...All they do is complain because there is nothing on to watch...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #7429442

Mine did too with directv but I dumped it and went to dish for 30. I paid directv over a hundred bucks a month for double talk, lies and a bum service I hated for 3 years now and finally had all I could handle. I asked the idiots if they ever heard of antennas and the next lie from them I would put one up before sending them another penny and they lied so that was all it took. Check with loca for a good deal. She started her business up and has great deals with several different things , she got big discounts on the tv and phones and such. You may want to d-mail private but I'd check with her since your area is good for the signals anyway. I bet she could save you big bucks. I would if I were in any other area. But here don't matter who it is, it ain't gonna work right.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7429558

Mekos, you sound like me...I am two miles too far away in one direction and 250 feet...yeah feet...away in the other direction...no one here has cable...it is all satellite. and no one has internet except dial up...I am using a tethering system with the cell phone but even that is an extra $40 a month...through Alltel/Verizon...and it is unlimited...not dial up but not high speed either. Hope you find a good service soon that does the trick for you...amazing how businesses punish those out in the country when those same country folk feed them! I know it sounds crazy but sometimes I wish we could all go back to before technology for at least a week and see just how many people would really survive...If they can't cook it in the microwave, or call from the car, or transfer it online...(but I think I would go through DG withdrawal! ok forget it! lol)

Night all...please stay warm

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7430120

It is a racket and they play us for all the money, they can get.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7430467

I hear ya Jar.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #7430565

I don't know which is colder, outside or in the house...ran out of kerosene in the middle of the night and trying to warm things up with the stove right now until SIL gets back from town...oh my is it freezing!

I am dreaming of a blue winter
just like the one in Hawaii
Where the sea just glistens
And no one listens to hear
Cold weather radio
I'm dreaming of a warm winter
Just like the one I'd like to have
Where the children's laughter
Comes from water splatter
Down in the warm tropic air!

Back later!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7430743

How cute was that poem!?! LOL
So sorry about the heat problem, BUNDLE up and BE CAREFUL with the stove. Several houses have burned down this winter from people useing their stoves to heat with. Worse than the kerosene heaters that were faulty and burned homes down.
We've had 5 homes burned just the last 2 weeks that used the home stove to heat with. This is just awful and I'm so sorry for you. I'm praying for you girl and try to keep warm.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #7431570

Yup jar - stay warm but be careful. My parents back east have oil heat as a backup only - heating oil is outrageous. They have wood heat and one of those new fangled pellet stove thingys. Heats really well...

Like your poem. We're pretty nice here weather-wise in the winter. Not quite Hawaii but I'll take it. I was born and raised in northern Maine so I know all about cu cu cu cold weather and I sure don't miss it. The snow I miss, but not the cold!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
10:11 PM

Post #7431789

I hear ya Loca.
We keep a herosene heater for when the power goes off and a propane camping cook stove to cook on if we have to and some oil lamps for the light also some big round candles but lots of people this year have been useing their cook stove to heat with and I never knew it was so dangerous. I was shocked when the last couple weeks they were talking about NOT useing them for heating with and how homes were burned down and people perished in there because of that. I would not have believed it. They always talk about the kerosene heaters but you do what you have to when you are cold and that is the best you can do. Now this with the cook stoves. New stuff is higher priced and made cheaper. Stuff just not safe anymore. Seems like big companies just trying to fill their pockets and don't care about the dangerous products they put out for sale.
EVERYONE keep smoke detectors checked and be careful this winter.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2010
10:50 PM

Post #7432008

We used ourcooking stove, we have propane, when we were having problems with our heater.
But all is much better now. DH's Cousin got it up and running. So glad...
seray53

January 5, 2010
11:32 PM

Post #7432151

I've used cooking stoves, kerosene and propane as back up. Hate all three. Nice wood stove seems like the best option. Especially those pellet thingys. :) They're supposed to be cost effective too. We have a fire place but it's pretty useless for keeping warm. It's small and our ceilings are high. Looks good! LOL

Loved your poem Jar!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2010
2:05 AM

Post #7432815

You can always snuggle in front of the fireplace seray - lol...

My parents love their pellet thingy☺
seray53

January 6, 2010
2:11 AM

Post #7432833

Yeah! with the dogs and cat. LOL

Where do they get the pellets?
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #7433779

Ok the stove is off and the kerosene is back on...and we are warm again...yeah!...thanks for the compliments on the poem...
My dad has a pellet stove and he loves it...says it was the best investment he ever made...but i cannot do that here...i wish I could install a wood burner...I love those because you can set a kettle on it and let the soup simmer all day or keep hot water on for tea...i cook with cast iron and love how those pans can be set right on the stove and not get hurt.

I am just looking forward to next week when the weather *expert* (yah ) says it is to warm up...finally quit snowing here...

You all take care and have a great morning...please be careful if you have to go out in bad conditions...saying a prayer for all my new DG friends to be safe and happy this new year...G'night

Julie
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7434132

Goodmorning everyone... I sure hope you all are managing to stay warm... Its extremely cold even here where we seldom see temps below freezing...Down in the teens...I left my water dripping last night but have to get out today and make sure my pipes are wrapped snuggly and wont freeze with this incoming rain and colder temps that are on the way..Sounds fun eh? Not many to do just my faucets and where pipes come out of ground and into the house..I sure hope my lil plants have enough mulch on them to protect them from all this cold... I added alot of new babies this year I sure wouldnt want them to die.. The ground is stll wet I dont know if that is good or bad on the plants when its this cold.. I added extra pine straw to some yesterday that seemed to have excess water around them hoping to soak up some of it..All this blasted rain, and now the cold... Sigh oh well they are buried under pine straw,pecan hulls and or leaves guess thats better than nothing..If they dont come back I'll be all depressed...

Hope you all have a great day... Hugs

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #7434170

Julie, so glad you got warm again. did you get an extra container of fuel for back-up?
It is 19 here and the sun is shinning so that helps a lot. I have water dripping too. Got squeaky toys being squeaked and milkbones being crunched so it it a wonderful day, and a load of clothes in the washes about finishing up to go into dryer.
signs not right to plant anything but got a lot of catalogs to dream over.
Honeybunch, they are calling for snow down here tomarrow and I bet people is going to go goofy. The weatherman always get goofy.
You all stay safe and warm...
Hugs and nuzzles to all.
seray53

January 6, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7434624

Morning All!

Hope everyone was warm through the night. Down right chilly here! We may see snow this weekend. I won't hold my breath on that! Who would've thought snow in 9a. :) Tropicals are chilly but alive. Brug is still blooming in the GH. Crazy thing.

This weekend would be the time for a group trip to Miami. Fairchild gardens. High 72 on Friday. Sounds down right balmy doesn't it? LOL

Have a good warm day! Hugs to all
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7434750

Calling for snow here Thursday night into friday morning. Says another COLD front coming through. It's been in the teens for several nights here and mid 30's for the days. We did however(they say) get to 40 yesterday, I can't prove it is true.?????
Cat and dog starting to play with each other-oh happy day! The cat looks like casper the ghost with his front arms held up and him on his hind feet running all around the floor in front of her to play- I spend the day rolling I'm laughing so hard at the nuts. She thinks he is crazy-she might be right, too.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2010 11:58 AM
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7434803

Got the begonia seeds today Mekos. Thanks!

Glad you included the message. I would have planted the big stuff and thrown away the 'dust'!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7434831

Stay warm y'all...

seray - lots of places where they live sell the pellets, even Wal-Mart - lol... They are a by product of the lumber industry which is pretty big in this country. I want to say while I was there in August some places had them for like $125/ton which was pretty cheap my Dad said. Can't remember how many tons you need for a typical heating season, but the cost is much much lower that kerosene or oil heat. Wood heat isn't too bad if you can cut and dry your own wood. Otherwise I personally think the price of wood is ridiculous. We used to cut and stack and dry our own - that was hard work - lol...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7434871

Warmth with the cutting and warmth from the stove. Usually folks cut and stack in summer which is best for it to "cure" for the winter burning. We have Propane it is rediculous too. But got to have it or freeze.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7434885

Hey you guys, I'm a country girl, don't remind me of them days. I remember them all too well. No chain saws either, just ax and muscle power.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7434900

My Daddy had a garden tractor and hooked a belt up to it and cut wood. He cut slabs from a sawmill we had in town. And Wood ashes, I just didn't appreciate them then like I do now. I have hauled those things outside. Carried wood inside. My Grandfather used Coal. That was a long time ago. It stunk too when it burned.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7435031

We used coal when we could buy it but when no money, we cut trees and pulled them to the house and split them in sections and carried in enought to use and stacked the rest. Go back the next day to do it again. Not much fun at all. But no one picked on us, not even us girls, we had muscles bigger and stronger than most boys bigger than us.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7435048

My Grandpa worked for the man that owed the Coal yard. AWwww! the memories of
my youth. That was a long time ago. Kids wouldn't know what happened if they were transported back, would they??
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7435215

HI Everyone. Mekos received the begonia seeds today almost forgot I had asked for them so that was a nice surprise.
Been snow flurrying here today Suposed to get more snow but hearing 2 different accumlation amounts our local radio says 1 to 2 inches. TV and online weather sites are saying anywhere from 4 to 8 inches. DH is hoping the second one is right LOL.
We burn wood and cut and dry it ourselves. But it's been a long time since we split with an axe. DH bought a wood splitter to speed things up since we were both working full time. He's done it the hard way with a hand saw to cut the trees and axe and wedge to split the blocks. I enjoy the wood getting it keeps me from gaining too much weight.
My nephew is being got ready to be transferred to the rehab center. They will do another surgery on his leg to hide the pins in it but not for 3 weeks giving him time to heal and gain strength. They are also going to help him quit smoking while they have him and teaching him to control his diabetes which they believed caused him to get dizzy and wreck in the first place. He's going to need lots of strength to regain mobility.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7435219

lol - manual labor? My kids are like "what's that??? like it's a bad word...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7435226

Glad to hear he is doing a bit better Mindy!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2010

Post #7435271

Glad to hear he is better, Mindy and glad the begonia seeds are arriving.
seray53

January 6, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7435300

Glad your nephew is better Mindy. Sounds like a great rehab plan. They will work him hard and get him back into shape.

Grandparents used coal stoves. Brrrr unless you were backed up to it or close by. Pigs would get out of the pen and get into the coal pile. When they remodeled they went total electric which was the thing back in the early 50's. I don't they they ever got warm after that. They used baseboard heaters. Big wood fireplace in the kitchen was they only really warm room. LOL

I researched the pellet stoves a few years back Loca. I think they would be great heat. Nice to know the pellets are widely available. They look cool too. :) Won't need those in Miami! LOL
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

January 7, 2010
4:38 AM

Post #7437089

So glad that your nephew is on the road to recovery Mindy. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers for continued speedy and complete recovery.
We heat our house with wood, primarily. Hubby is a logger, so is out in the woods all the time anyway, so has no problem bringing us home wood! LOL Our house is all electric, but the only time we turn on the baseboard heaters is when we are going to be gone for a few days or so. We have 2 wood burning stoves, one upstairs in the LR and one down in the FR, and it gets so warm downstairs that we sometimes have to open the door! Just seems like nothing heats as warm as wood, to me.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #7437183

Wood is a dryer heat so it feels warmer. It also dries out your wood on the walls and so just be careful with any heat.
What is that pellet heater you guys are talking about? I never heard of that? If you put pellets in to burn, would you have to keep loading the fire all day and night? How would you get any sleep like that?
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #7437419

Here is a link to lots of information about pellet furnaces...some are for smaller areas and some can heat a 2,000 square foot house or larger...some need filled very day while others can go five days without filling...just all depends on what type you want and how much you are willing to spend. I seriously want to invest in one of these...even if it is the small one for the downstairs...only ever sleep upstairs...so don't have to worry about heating too much up there...no water lines except on the first floor.

http://www.pelletstovefires.com/pellet-furnace.html
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

January 7, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7438013

The pellet stoves are extremely popular here with tons of people! They use them everywhere, to heat their homes, shops, garages, greenhouses, you name it. My Mom had one for a few years in replace of her fireplace, but switched it out a few years back for a gas fireplace insert instead. The problem she had with hers was the auger didn't feed her pellets into it very well and it was always getting jammed up and then wouldn't work. But hers was one of the first models (that was years ago) and I'm sure that they have improved all of that since then. Just like most things when new, it just takes them a few years to get all the kinks out and make the improvements. They are all so much nice now than hers was! The only problem that I see with them is they do take some electricity, so if you have a power outage, they aren't going to help much then. But really, how often is the power off for any length of time nowadays anyway.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 7, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7438292

Well, here in tornado alley if there is a big storm, you could be without power for a couple of weeks, sometimes up to a month. Normally it is in warmer weather, but you never know.
I haven't seen the pellet heaters, the pellet bbq grills are real popular here. They are expensive but they sure cook good.

Gotta do some research today - Enid has a farmers market that starts in the spring - sells fresh veggies, plants... thought I would check to see if I could sell extra seedlings there this spring. I don't know if they require any kind of license or not.

You guys have a great day and stay warm! Only 13 out there and wind is blowing like crazy!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7438374

I have a friend that has a pellet stove, but she has to put the pellets in herself. She lives in a mobile home.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7438384

Yea, wind is blowing that next polar cold event into the areas. Watch out for the cold blast of freezing weather it's bringing in tonight for here.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7438391

Marti, that is what I was thinking. So if you have to do it, you couldn't sleep long or the fire would go out.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

January 7, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7438593

Well, good thing spring is only 71 days away! LOL Yep, time to start planning for it. Course, in our country, I think that really means spring is about 100 days away. Heeheehee ;-) Beautiful here in Wyoming today! We woke up to a nice crisp 18 below, with wind chills at about 32 below. So Kelly, want to leave the desert and come and visit today?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #7438639

Uh, nope! Forecast is for close to 70 and sunny today - think I'll stay - lol.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7438675

brrrrrrrr 18 below...I know I wasnt created for cold weather like that.. I dont know how you guys take it... I cant dress warm enough to stay warm at 30 degrees rather alone 30 below... I know its beautiful there with the snow, but ill stick with my warm drab corner of Arkansas which rarely gets below freezing..Im with Seray lets go to Miami or someplace nice and warm, filled with tropical gardens..Hope you guys are all staying warm!!!Ewww I have to get out and take my son for allergy shots today, but tomorrow isnt going to be any warmer so better get it done..
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7438685

ohhhhh I wanna come visit you loca...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7438721

Come on down huney - we have lotsa snowbirds here - what's one more?
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7438741

Well ladies we have and or are getting our first big snow of the year. We have maybe 3 inches LOL but it is still snowing too. Talk about going to Miami, don't think so. beckygardener lives in Sebastian Fl and her water fountain had frozen water in it LOL and was only 54 in Miami so it isn't alot warmer down there!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7438755

LOL Loca don't you know snowbirds don't leave the snowy areas? Migrating birds is what you have not snowbirds who happen to love snow.
Been snowing off and on all day here looks like about 2 inches supposed to end up with 4 inches before it stops Friday night.or Saturday.
Dogs just came in from playing in it sure not having any trouble getting Little Smokey to get his rump in right now he likes fresh air but not the cold wind. His mom on the other hand loves this cold and snow I think she's hoping for a deep enough one to jump around in.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7438914

I have snow envy, but we are suppose to get a dusting tonight. Maybe mother nature will stump her toe and give us a bit more.hehe
So many places in Floriday is getting the cold temps just the same as we have. I had a few tell me it's killed trees and bushes that have been in ground for over 50 years-frozen. Some have lived there since the 60's and never seen the cold like they are having right now and totally UNprepared for it. AND More coming so you might want to hit Hawaii or another tropical paradise just watch for the cyclones headed their way. Personally, I think I'll hang around and bundle up and just buy more plants in the spring and plan on being better prepared for next year.
Stay warm you guys.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7439012

mekos, I'm with you. I miss Calif, but not the earthquakes or the idiots out there. I'm just bundling up and staying warm. I do have to go out and check the mail. Keep putting it off, but have to get with it and get out there, just incase I have any surprises in the mail.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7439099

Everywhere in the country is having below normal temps except Maine (where I'm from) and Arizona (where I reside) - lol... My aunt lives in Orlando and they are expecting snow!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2010
9:12 PM

Post #7439216

This is one winter that I don't know of anyone that will escape the cold. The almanac said we would have above normal in water, cold and ice for this winter. I believe it called it blustery winter or something to that effect. It's here! We got high winds today and temps are dropping FAST! Suppose to start snowing soon.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #7439247

Mekos, I'm getting snow. Now!!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #7439267

Well you be sure to keep My Charlie and the fuzzy ears, ears warm. keep yours warm too. You be careful in that mess and bundle up.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2010
10:12 PM

Post #7439355

It's been snowing all day here. Temp was up to 30 now 28 and going down.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2010
10:14 PM

Post #7439359

We getting a little sleet right now but suppose to turn to snow shortly.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2010
10:24 PM

Post #7439391

everything is white here and cold. I've cleaned the kitchen, did the dishes and replanted a plant I go in trade (have no idea what it is) but it is growing just fine. It came as a piece of root and started to sprout so I planted it and put it in the bathroom. It is now up to 5 inches tall and has nice looking leaves on it. I guess when it blooms I'll find out what it is. I've also been sorting my seeds out and working on my graft for where to plant things. I decided to sort my seeds as to those to keep and those I can use in trade. Some things I received lots of seeds and its more than I need so I figure I can trade a few.

This is near my house. Apparently there is water that runs down these areas so when it freezes here we get these gorgeous ice flows. Theres some down by Lake Cumberland that I wish I could get pictures of but wouls need a zoom lens on a good camera, Which I don't have.

Thumbnail by marti001

blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

January 7, 2010
10:37 PM

Post #7439430

hi all,

hey RRM how much snow are you getting my DH is talking about driving up to see snow this weekend wondering how far we have to go. my son has not seen it yet. how close are you to the florida border?
blondie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2010
10:45 PM

Post #7439465

We are not getting much now, It was sort of sleeting, the night is not over. Blondie, I think you would have to go to North Ga. We live about 40 mi. n.w. of Macon. So we probably aren't going to get much. The first snow was pretty good coming down. 180mi. from our house to the state line. You could go to Stone Mountain, they are making their own. The kids would love Stone Mountain, you too! It is pretty up around there. But they do have Snow machines.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7439482

Ours finally turned to snow and sure is pretty coming down but only suppose to get 1/2 inch or so. It's not sticking yet.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #7439496

Just think, we can say we got snow, it was just slow getting here...☺
They'll get more up north than we do.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2010
11:30 PM

Post #7439619

OH definately. Ours is only suppose to be a dusting to 1/2 now. They keep changing the forecast, we're lucky to see any at all. Oh well, there is always NEXT time.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2010
4:03 AM

Post #7440535

well according to the weatherman we got about 4 inches and will have at least another inch before morning so this will probably be our biggest snow for the winter, or at least I hope it is.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7440576

Mekos, I got the begonia seeds today, what a wonderful gift. thank you so much. It lifted my spirits greatly to think about spring and planting...I lost my lovely Jazzy this morning. The neighbor puts out poisoning to keep rats out of his barns...we have cats that do that for us...haven't had a rat or mouse around here for four years now...we think she got into his poison and it was too late by the time we found her to help...she was my baby, had her since she was 4 weeks old..momma abandoned her and so I adopted her...she will be missed horribly. So the seeds were a wonderful distraction.

I was looking at some of the new seed catalogs after checking the mail and found some really great deals from burgess? has anyone ordered from them before? I was thinking about trying some of their trees, they have a special for 99 cents for ornamental and shade. It would be great for me because the front yard has only a pine tree and an apple tree...the front yard is a rectangular acre of bare land...but just wait until spring!

Ok, going to write some more.

Stay warm and safe please...I know I don't really know any of you but you all make be feel so welcome here it is impossible not to care about you all...take care
julie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7440873

Glad you got em. I'm so sorry about your baby. That stuff happens. I keep my cat and chihuahua inside and my 2 outside dogs are in a fenced yard so no running to a neighbors area or it would probably happen around here too. Some weird people around. (especially here). I'm really sorry.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #7440902

thank you :)
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7441200

So sorry to hear about your pet jar. I have bought from Burgess and they aren't bad people . Just watch the size of tree you get though. If they are to small they have a hard time getting settled after they have been shipped. I have even bought from more reputable than Burgess and they have died on me cause of being so small, the shock of the transport is just to much for them.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #7441243

You are right FF, You can buy from anyone and have loses.
I had to rush my Chihuahua to vet earlier this year. He got one of those little blue blocks that I put down for the mice. I picked him up and the poison he had and away we wet to the vet. Radar is not a "social " animal at all. I had to put a little muzzle on him for them, he is that bad. But to make a long story short, They gave him peroxide to make him "throw up" It didn't take long for it to work and they only gave him about a Tbsp. But the onery little brat is o.k. now. I am sorry for your lose jar, it is always hard to lose a Furbaby.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 8, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7441280

Jar - heart breaking for you - I feel your pain!

RRM - how funny - the guy that works for us has a dog named Radar - funnier yet, he is a Chihuahua! got the longest tongue you ever saw - we laughed till we cried watching him in the snow one day - he was making an "extra" track in the snow, right down the middle between his paw prints, wonder what that was? Cracked us up!!

I have been home, this is the second day - too dang cold to work. The men went, I just can't force myself out of the house in 3 degree weather! This is Oklahoma - 3 degrees is just TOO cold!!! We will have 103 in 6 months and that is just TOO hot!!! I am never happy

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7441316

Enid, I would say he was draggin' his tailpipe, but what he was dragging sure wasn't a tail pipe. lol.
If we get a foot of snow my Dufass would be draggin his too, him and Radar. We have 16, so we are warmer than you are.
I don't blame you for not going out I go out just long enough to check on my chickens and to feed the Longears. They are so pretty and shaggy.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 8, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7441440

Having outside critters is the ONLY reason I would be out in this weather. The guys all make fun of me because I won't work when it is this bad out - I remind them they are stupid and greedy - nobody starves to death around here without a couple days work. I know that is not true with some folks but I make sure my one employee has enough to feed his family regardless! Nobody goes hungry if I can help it. A lesson learned when I was young - you can do without a lot of things - always stash food - that you cannot do without. We have a freezer full of beef, a hog on the way and the canned goods speak for themselves - you cant find anything in my cabinets because they are always full. We are blessed, we don't have much but we ain't gonna go hungry! If it gets really bad, I have ammo stashed too - might just have to do a little huntin'.

Mekos, I want to start my begonia "dust" today - I think I will start them in a cut off 2 liter bottle, should I use one or two? I haven't ever done this before so HELP!

Another silly question - I got some cinnamon vine in a trade the little things she sent look a little like rabbit droppings, I stuck them in potting soil, sprayed with water and nothing is happening - been only a week though. Am I doing something wrong or did I leave them sitting around too long before I started them? The little holes I made for them were probably 1/2" deep.

I am going to start some other seeds that I know need light - can I go to Lowes and buy a small fluorescent light or do I need something else for lighting??

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7441609

Yes, Yes, & Yes. I started some desert rose seeds yesterday. I am going to plant the dist Begonias today in a btl. 2 litr.
Just got to go get the bottle. We got to be patient and you know we are far from being patient, aren't we girl????
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7441626

I would probably just use 1 for the dust. You should get a pot full and just transplant when they are older.
The cinnamon bublets are probably just fine, they take longer to start off so just forget them for a few weeks and see what happens. I have those too.
Just give good light, it doesn't matter if it's a light bulb or floresence or grow lamp, the idea is to give light and some warmth.
Just keep your pots warm and they should start sprouting in their own time. Some stuff will sprout immediately and some takes weeks and some months. Got to be patient.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 8, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7441658

Thanks guys - you know I am an instant gratification type girl - patient is not in my vocabulary - not something I have much of!!

Off to make a mess - talk to y'all later

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7441921

Jar - so sorry about your furbaby! Hope you are doing OK!!

Hey candles - here is info on the Cinnamon Vine tubers from the person I received mine from...

Caring for Cinnamon Vine seed tubers: Cinnamon vine produces a deep tuber when grown, so it is important to be able to plant this outside once it gets going. It likes heat to start. When your tubers arrive (they are about 1/4" to 1/2") remove them from the container and allow to air dry if there is any condensation present. Store in a paper bag at room temps for about a month, then move to plastic bag. Make sure that there is no condensation in the plastic bag. Once the weather outside starts to warm up, move the tubers to a warmer location or plant individually in small pots to germinate. Keep warm (70+ works for me). Plant outside once you know the weather will consistently be above 50 degrees and the plants are big enough to handle. I have stored seed tubers for 2 years in plastic bags without problems but if the tubers have enough moisture and heat, they will sprout. Once they start to sprout, plant them that year as they usually will not survive another winter. All seed tubers shipped this year are from this years harvest, which is why I am suggesting storage in paper bags to allow to cure/dry a bit.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 8, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7441978

Well thank ya ma'm - I didn't do anything wrong with the cinnamon vine then - got the dust on top of seed starter - put it on top of upright deepfreeze - gets warm up there but not much light - only filtered through north window. We'll see!
RRM - got your begonia going too - it ain't dead yet so must have done something right.
I haven't got your package off yet - cold, tired and lazy! It didn't make it for Christmas so no hurry now - would you like to request a spring fragrance (that you may not get until 2011 the way things are going) or would you still like peppermint?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010

Post #7441991

Don't worry about it. Christmas is on the way ☺. Getting ready to make container here in little bit. Useing a coke btl. 2 litr. You take care of my begonia. We got snow, not enough for anything. It crunched on way to barn to get bottles.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 8, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7442102

RRM - you are simply too understanding and forgiving! Does that mean you have it too - CRS disease? Only a true dunce would send out a package with only a name on it - my goodness, how many RRM's can there be in the world anyway? Maybe if I would have spelled it out the mailman coulda got it to ya - he has to know where RidesRedMule lives, or is that Santa Claus - dang, I should have sent it with Santa - he knows EVERYTHING!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7442351

Goofball, I love you!!!! Yes, they got their nerve not know who I am. The people that really matter know who "MULEMAMA" is too!
I mailed a pkg, here awhile back and I forgot to put the seed in it. So, Yes, I have that CRS problem too. hahaha
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 8, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7442549

UMMMM is it bad when you only have hot water in half of the house - the other half, nothing comes out the faucet??????

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7442578

You have Problems. I have water running to keep it from freezing.
seray53

January 8, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7442690

Sorry to hear about your pet Jar! Hugs from all of us.

Glad you're not on the road Candles. Was worried about ya!

How's everyone? Still cold. We had rain (no fun there) this am. Was hoping for a snow flake or two. Gonna warm back up next week! GH is holding warm so far so good.

Have a good day!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #7443138

We're getting some seriously cold weather here, single digits tonight possibly down to zero in the morning. About 4" of new snow yesterday to keep the ski crowd happy for the weekend. Snow is a real money maker here because we have two ski resorts nearby that hire locals to staff them. I'll stay nice and warm inside, hot cocoa in hand. Maybe I'll find a hot tub to sit in until my toes thaw out. Think warm thoughts girls.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
10:09 PM

Post #7443163

Went from 19 up tp 25 degrees, will get colder as sun goes down.
Got water dripping hope, pipe doesn't freeze. Critters are all fluffed up, DH just feed the birds and have Bird water heater in a couple of fountains so they can get drinks. Do have iciles hanging from well house but still going. Thankfully no deep snow.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #7444292

Hello all... Hope you are all snuggled in for the night...a nice warm fire burning...Cup of hot Chocholate filled with lil marshmallows...
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7445113

Morning Ladies,
Well it is still spitting snow here but we only got about 5 inches so I am hoping this will be all of it now. LOL So cold here it isn't funny. Got below zero last night. Let poor puppies out to do their business and they were limping when they come back in, freezing their little paws off.Cold enough I sure got one terrible electric bill. Being total electric I guess it isn't bad though. It is bad when your are on a fixed income tho. Oh well can't freeze to death so guess I'll have to pay it LOL
Hope everyone is staying warm.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7445128

We have 12 degrees this morning but the sun is shinning bright and a beautiful day. Haven't stepped outside yet! Brrr. I want to go to town but don't want to get out there in the cold.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7445137

Oh the sun is shining here too RRM but colder than blue blazes.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7445212

I need to go to town, but don't want to get out there in the cold.
Getting Whimpy in my old age.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7445253

Cold here this am tooo... Snowing too...can just barely seee it but for us thats a blizzard.. 20 here this AM..SO cold my battery was dead in my suburban.. grrr...Made DH stop and buy me a new one on his way home from work this morning...Now im all ready to go again...Have alot of running around to today unless the weather should get worse then I'll have an excuse to stay home..Heres apicture of the fountain at our church.

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010

Post #7445638

Now that is pretty,. icey but pretty. No birds going to get a drink there.
We have heaters in two of ours. Squirrells drink from it too!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7445675

Sorry you all aro so cold. Pretty nice here - forecast for 71 through the weekend... I'm off to training classes with my doggie then to the groomer... Be back later.

Hope y'all have an awesome day and stay warm!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 9, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7445761

Well, gang it is cold enough here that the weather channel won't even tell us how cold it is, keeps saying N/A LOL! Must be pretty cold I think our hight today is supposed to be about 9 - better than tonight, 4 below, yuck, yuck, yucky!!

Got toad house projects to start today - at least I have indoor activities to keep me busy for awhile. Up to 40 next week - can't wait - heat wave!

Everyone have a great day - I am will be attempting to get things done around the baby today - seems he thinks everything should revolve around him, can you imagine? He has 3 teeth now and is about ready to walk - that ought to be interesting.

Later - Lori
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7445799

Too late Loca. It was down in the LOW teens last night and the power went out after we went to bed and sleep. Didn't know till this morning when we got up to freezing tempts and no power. The tropical and suculents are mush, most of my orchids are mush but a couple seem to be ok. My hoya and Epiphs. bought the farm. I guess I'll know in a few days what will not make it. My sister had bought me an orchid for Christmas and luckily I had not got it because she had been out of town, but she brought it this morning and it is in full bloom.
Don't feel bad Flower, my electris bill came yesterday and it was outrageous also. It was more than double the usual cost and still killed my plants. What is wrong with this picture?!? They should be paying me this months bill for all the damage they caused.
Well power is back on now, maybe some will perk up.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7445806

Sorry Lori, we over posted. Just put a football helmet on the baby's head and turn him loose. He's getting enough teeth to grab hold of big steak one of these days. You guys keep warm.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7446122

Mekos, I put coat in mail this morning. Hope you get it soon. Sorry took so long. Durn, too bad about Electricity going off. Lori, they say it is warmer in Anchorage, AL. than it is here. I got a cousin up there. We still got a couple of months yet. Dog - gone!!!!
seray53

January 9, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7446274

Sorry about your plants Mekos. We all have copies of what we sent you so we'll fill you back up in the spring. I have a huge brug that I haven't cut back yet. Orchids I can divide, copies of what you sent me. You've been so generous to all of us we can share back what you gave us.

My DH and I are working overtime to keep this hoop house warm. I moved more things inside just in case. Need a double layer of poly this year. :)

Shall we have a wake for all our lost plants when this is over? Mojitos and turkey sammiches. Piggy blankets and hot chocolate. Pay tribute with poems to all the joy they brought us. Promises to do more etc.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7446285

I can teach Charley to Bow in Respect like those Beautiful Clysdales you sent me. i Cried when I saw that one. It was Beautiful.
Charley is sad for your loss. We love you, girl.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 9, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7446306

Mekos - that is awful! Stupid electric company anyway - all they seem to get right is sending the outragous bills.

I don't think I will be moving to Alaska over this weather but it sure is tempting, anything to get out of this cold. We finally got pipes thawed out - hot water for dishes, yippee, was afraid I would have to boil some.

Gotta go, baby napping - can actually get something done!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2010
11:12 PM

Post #7446795

wish home owners insurance would pay for lost plants...they pay for all kinds of other strange things...and if you have tons of money spent on something, you should be able to claim it...but things never happen like that does it?
Mekos, this spring, when everything is up and growing, I am happy to share whatever I have to help replace your loss. That offer goes to all of you for that matter.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2010
11:53 PM

Post #7446931

You are all great but really, I'm not upset like I thought I would be,they are just plants and it could have been worse. We are ok and power is back on and that is what is important. My son and DIL had their heat to go out last night and their water froze and we spent all day thawing it out and cutting more wood for them to burn and hauled it to them so it's getting better. While I was there at the river, I walked to the water and there was icicles hanging 8-10 feet long and so thick down from the rocks to the water on the banks. It was so pretty. I had never noticed it before. (Well, probably cause I never go up there in winter before).
I'm sure mojoito will appreciate the coat after this cold surprise. She was pitiful this morning curled up shibbering. The cat come and crawled in bed with us but she didn't get out of her warm spot.
Thanks for all the sweet thoughts but it is ok. Some might grow back from the roots and if not I'll find more. It will be ok. Sure love you guys. You are a great bunch.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
12:34 AM

Post #7447094

ok, this is how I feel

Thumbnail by jar617

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2010
1:17 AM

Post #7447220

Sorry about your poor plants mekos! Hopefully some will come back... If not, you know where to go for replacements!

jar - love your picture! Bet that's how a lot of folks are feeling right about now...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2010
1:20 AM

Post #7447234

Jar, that is so cute. Hahehe. But I didn't get enough to even talk about. Just the cold.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7447849

Awww Mekos.. Sorry for the loss of plants due to the electricity.. You know we will all help anyway we can..Hope you guys all stay warm tonight...I just got in..I had to haul teenagers around for a date...fun fun..Least I knew where they were and that they were safe... Talk to you all tomorrow.. Hugs Oh btw I got seeds in the mail from tubby... no message but least I know they still alive yipppeeeee...
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #7448163

HI Everyone another cold morning with snow overnight. Huney thanks for letting us know Tubby is still kicking I had been worrying over him.
Had a snowball fight with the dogs yesterday afternoon or rather tried to. My mutt kept knocking the snow out of my hands before I could make the snowball he was real excited cause I went out with them. So I just dumped handfuls on him and his brother. They wasn't crazy about that and ran off so then I made a snowball and threw it at their mom who was smart she moved and I missed and Robbie chased it. Too cold for us to stay out long but we had fun. Then we came in for snow cream.
You all keep warm now and hope that warm front gets here soon for you all. I'm hearing there's another snow storm moving in by Thursday or Friday.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #7448255

Mindy

I'm up and ready...

Tubby
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7448330

Oh tubby it is so good to hear from you ! Was thinking about you just yesterday and wondering if things were ok.

mekos so sorry about the plants. We have decide if what I have makes it thru this winter we're not going to have much in the way of inside plants again just what we can plant outside and them make it thru the winter.
Oh I went yesterday and bought some tile for the hall way and of course I looked at plants and found a Rex begonia and a silver Philo on sale and guess what I did.:))))))))
Couldn't resist.
Got to go out this morning and check the plants. Got down to about 5 below last nite and that was actual temp. Dont know what it was with the wind chill.
Stay warm all.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7448366

flower

Things are ok...

Tubby
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7448390

Morning everyone! Woohoo!! tubby is back! Glad to hear from you again. We have all been thinking about you and praying for the best!
Mekos, sorry to hear about your plants. Keep us posted as to what didn't make it so we know what to send for replacements this spring.
Anyone try to winter fuschias inside? Never had any luck with them here, but so far, this winter, I still have 2 that are OK. Not great, but they are still alive! But, we still have plenty of winter left, so don't know if I can keep them alive for another 3 months. LOL Debating as to when to start tomatoes and flowers and such, hmmmm.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7448440

skellogg

Glad to be back

Tubby

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7448792

So glad you are back Tubby, we have missed you.
Still cold here supposed to be back to "normal" whatever that is.
27 tight now. Ground is still frozen, ready for the warm weather.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7448974

I've decided to start my new herbs and tomatoes next week because I want larger plants for the garden this year...last year the weather kept a lot of my tomatoes smaller than usual...Probably will start the peppers right after Valentine's day...And of course in March, the peas and onions will go into the ground...

I can not wait to see what all comes back from this freeze in the spring...I hope my strawberries make it through...they are in a raised bed with lots of mulch so I sure hope they come through...this will be their second season so if they survive, should have some nice berries on them come summer...

This will be the third year for the blueberries...last year they bloomed but no berries...gotta check into why that happened...

The horse ate my grapes...right down to the ground...couldn't even find the roots so I think he may have pulled them up when he ate the vines...amazing what an old nag horse can do when he gets loose in the middle of the night. Never left the yard but ate everything in sight...even my forsythia!

Ok, gonna go get lunch on...bbl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7449011

Oh, I hope he doesn't get sick. Can't tell about old horses, I used to have one. He was a beauty. Miss him very much. Yes. it is amazing what they will eat. Our neighbors horses got out and sometimes my Donkey and mule gets out. Don't like cold weather Rodeo's at all.
I hope you old baby is O.K.
I have a purple basil that comes up in my garden every year. My tomatoes love it. It looks so pretty out there too.
Think I am going to wait til Last of Feb. for stuff like that. Spring can't get here soon enough for me.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #7449150

ridesdermule

glad too be back

Tubby
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #7449317

RRM, Mason was 27 years old...we sort of adopted him (for $200...bought sight unseen, but that's another story) and last winter before he passed away he ate all that stuff...I just never got around to replacing it. Other priorities and all.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #7449378

Like, My Sam. I do miss him so. He was the best old fella.
But at least his last days were not too bad. I loved him and
I believe he knew it. But we Got to keep going on. Sam was 25 or
so.
seray53

January 10, 2010
10:19 PM

Post #7449627

Hi Everyone!

Glad to have you back Tubby! We miss ya. Hope you had good holidays and are doing ok.

Seray
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2010
11:02 PM

Post #7449713

Seray

Thank You for the extra time

Tubby
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2010
11:40 PM

Post #7449816

Hi everyone...It did get a lil warmer here today.. Up to 38..Tomorrow it is supposed to be up to 50... I cant wait, tho I dont know why I am excited I am sure the yard will be like a bog once it thaws out.. I am ready to get outside for a while tho I hate being stuck in the house...Not that I actually stayed in lol I went to town and bought groceries and ran the kids around town, took one set out for a date, but shoot that was like work...I want to be out raking the leaves or pine straw and dreaming of where the next flower bed will be...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #7450316

Sorry it's late getting on tonight. I been helping my boys with their stuff and just plain out tired.
Hi Tubby! So glad you are back! We worried about you. Hope everything is good now and we can ALL do our spring planting together. YE-HA!!!
I had done thought Lucy might have got you. You watch out for Lucy.
Isn't this new year great? We got our old newbies back and got new ones too. Bout the best anyone could ask for.
Now we can all get back to business.
Good night everyone. Good night John boy!
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
3:19 AM

Post #7450378

Mekos

Glad to be back...I'll have to do it from a wheel chare...
If I don't get out of it...

Tubby
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7450407

Night Mekos.. See you tomorrow..
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
3:29 AM

Post #7450415

Oh Tubby, Last I heard, God is still on the throne. ALL things are possible and if you don't get out of the chair, there is a way to get er done anyway. Where there is a will, there is a way. You will find it. I do believe we all got at least one more good gardening year to go. I lost a few things but I'm going to see my beautiful plants bloom at least one more year. And you will too.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
3:30 AM

Post #7450421

Sorry hunny, you posted as I was typing. Night girl.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #7450895

Mekos

I HOPE I CAN...
I KNOW I CAN...

Tubby

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #7451050

Honey, did you go see the snow?? I meant to ask but forgot. Good Morning everyone. Up early took DH to work, need the car to do some running around. The old truck is not very reliable, so have to take turns driving☺ Charley gonna get his Coggins and some shots today, or I would not have even bothered getting up. Got to run SIL to get Groceries so I'll do it all in one day and the rest of the week is Free (maybe).
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #7451147

Good morning Everyone
Tubby just take it slow one step at a time just like planting a garden. And if you are still in that wheel chair come close to planting time just have someone build you a raised bed on legs.
Does anyone need a new thread yet I'm not sure who all is on dial up but hollar if it's slow for you on here.
Have a good day I'm hoping to stay in and work on a new afghan I've started and work out the details of one I'm designing at the same time.

tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7451394

Mindy

Thanks for the information...
On my wheel chair...

Tubby

Tubby
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7452101

Tubby, do you have enough seeds to start out your spring sowing? Is there anything you are still looking for or would like to have?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7452122

So glad to see you back Tubby! Like mekos. last time I checked God was still on the throne and He can do anything...

Bad news though - I left your SP vines outside and we had two cold nights the first week of December and they got bit. Good news is they look like they are coming back from the roots and I have more rooting for you. When it warms up there a bit I will send them your way...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7452131

Hi mekos...

Did your Sapphire Showers make it? If not let me know and I'll start some more for you.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7452143

I don't think so but don't worry. I have so many seeds coming from the piggy swap I'm not gonna worry about the ones I lose. I'm still blessed without all the others. Maybe it just wasn't ment to be. Anyway, I'm sorry but no problem.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #7452156

lol - I saw the pics Star posted of all the boxes... She's a crazy lady to tackle all that!

tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7452165

mekos...

I don't know...

Tubby

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7452220

Well Tubby, when you have time to go through your seed stash and see what you have and what you still need get shirley to make a list for you and you post your list so we can see and I know we all have extra seeds we can share with you to get you going. We just need to see some names to get ideas of what you want. Just when ever you have time and feel like it, let us know.
How are you doing now? Are you feeling ok? Sure don't want to tire you out so you just do what you feel like and be sure to NOT over do. Take your time. You need to rest up and get stronger. Spring will be here before you know it. And the raised garden beds are a good idea. That way you can still enjoy gardening when you feel like it and when you get out of that wheel chair you can go back to your old ways of gardening.
I'll be glad to be looking for some seeds for you. You know what, my neighbor uses those topsy turvy planters for her tomatoes and she said she liked it, you could try that for a few and hang the pots up high and the tops are upside down so you could pick from your chair. You can grow lots of things that way. Something to think about.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010

Post #7452231

Yes Loca, could you imagine all those dozens of buckets and bags and boxes all over your house? Her bedrooms were full and her kitchen and all over the place filled with seeds. I'm sure she will be happy to get her house back especially her bedroom and bed.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7452242

mekos

I'll do that...

Tubby

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7452255

Tubby, when you get tired of rollin those wheels, I'll send you
a donkey to pull you along. Believe me you will move!
I'm joking, but here is a pic.They are always mooching for a cookie.
They wish you the best of luck .

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7452271

HI long ears!!!!! Hello Charlie, Hello Everybody! Big hugs and smooches to all the 4 legged friends.
Tubby missed out on a lot of Mojitos and turkey sammiches, so Tubby--- here is your Mojitos and turkey sammich and piggys wrapped in a blanket. Enjoy!
I sure am glad you are back. We missed you, little friend.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #7452284

redesredmule

whow donkey...haha

Tubby
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7452291

mekos

thank you for the sandwhich...haha

Tubby

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7452292

Ain't they purty??? See they want to help.
You just need to bribe them...Heck, a slice of bread would work LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7452297

Tubby, guard them sammiches and mojitos- them long ears and Charlie will eat them all.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2010

Post #7452311

Mekos Charley got his Coggins and shots this morning. That bad boy gonna travel this summer. My farrier is going to try him out,
Dr. Melissa said he was a "good Boy" and the donkeys were mooching for cookies. They have got a lot better with people since they get all the horse cookies when they are good kids. She was so proud of them I gave her cookies to give to them. They used to run from her. We were a huddled up crown, Me, her 3 donkeys and a big red mule that was loose and didn't know it. What a wonderful day.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7452449

That was good, RRM. Glad they are getting use to the ones giving the attention they need. Makes it a lot easier. They are so cute.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #7452504

RRM, Mojoito got her winter coat today and it was a perfect fit! It is soooooo cute! I'll take a picture of her wearing it in a bit, hubby got to get ready for work. Thank you so much. She looks so sweet in it.
Seray, got the seeds you sent also. Thank you and got them in the fridge warming up.Haha
Thanks, I hope they sprout for me later this spring.
It is suppose to warm up for a couple days now and we MIGHT actually see the upper 40's and if we are lucky, maybe 50 for the days this week. Maybe the cold polar bear season has ended. Maybe we can get back to normal winters now.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7452612

Not a great picture but at least you can see it fits. I took her out to potty in it and she was happy. She misses hubby when he leaves for work.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7452624

She turned her head before it could flash. Anyone know how to adjust the time delay on a flash? I push the button and a couple seconds before it flashes and she moves.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7452632

Here is baby jingles

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7452638

Mistletoe and holly and thumper. And of course some of the chickens that lay the colored eggs.

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7452663

Cute critters mekos!

Mojoito's little jacket is so cute!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7452716

RRM even embroidered her name on it. I just love it and she does too.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7452767

I saw her little name! Our RRM is sure talented!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 11, 2010
10:17 PM

Post #7452998

Dang RRM, you garden, take care of all those critters, make jewlery, sew, embroider, what else? Are you my Grandma Morrow? She was like that, worked full time cleaning a nursing home (that was when they were CLEAN) grew flowers and veggies, canned, sewed, quilted, crocheted... she was doin' something all the time. Guess I got my lard butt from the other side of the family. Not that they didn't garden and work hard...I remeber Grandma Kettle picking strawberries one summer - when she was done she came in, took a shower and sat in her chair for the rest of the afternoon in her bra and panties. When it was time for the men to come in, she got dressed and acted like she had been working her tail off all afternoon. That would be me!! Fake it if you can.

Gotta go cook - later
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
10:38 PM

Post #7453063

OH MY WORD!!! Hahahahehehe. LOL I'm shocked!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2010
10:57 PM

Post #7453103

Leave to Lori!! Now we know what side of the family she belongs too...☺ Love ya, girl. You never knowKnow what you can do unless you try it/ Isn't that little jacket cute? i just customized it. Mojo's Uncle Radar outgrew it. He weighs in at 10 ibs. Took a thin body for that jacket. Mekos, Mojo is just as cute as can be in the jacket. I mailed it Sat. That girl said they were "pretty fast" She right. Seray I got my seed got to put in frig wth the ones I got in little pots. Should I go ahead and pot it too??? Got new Craft books at Tractor Supply girls for $5.00 each. You all better go check them out. You TCS may have them too.
seray53

January 11, 2010
11:54 PM

Post #7453266

HI RRM

Love Mojo's outfit. Cute girls!

RRM the sarracenias get cold stratified. Here's a how to video. http://www.ehow.com/video_2201094_stratification-carnivorous-plants.html

Can't remember which sundew I sent you but the instructions will tell you how to do them. They just plant up. They don't need stratifying.

Fake it is the way to go Candles. When they pull up turn the vacuum on and throw the pillows off the couch. Looks good! That's for people who've never seen my house clean. Inviting family makes me clean. Haven't seen any in a long time now. LOL Getting scary!

Tubby earthboxes can sit on a bench or a couple of concrete blocks and you'll have veggies or flowers at eye level. Easy to put together. Makes you feel good to pull off tomato worms or pick a vase of zinnias.

So far so good. My little hoop GH hasn't blown over or caught on fire. STill too cold for this area. Maybe this weekend we'll have relief.

Gotta go cook. Neurobiology and human behavior is ZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZ! LOL

tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #7453328

Seray

sounds good

Tubby

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010

Post #7453416

Tubby, Large flower pots will grow Yummy Tomatoes, My husband does it every year. You can roll by them and stuff those tomatoes in and wait for them to grow. I can send you some donkey poo!!!
Seray I do think I am going to put the Drosera binata in with the pitchers mekos got me. You think It will work. the pitchers aren't up yet.
I keep looking and hoping. Now I got Desert rose seeds planted I hope something grows.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2010
12:44 AM

Post #7453438

ridesredmule

sounds good

Tubby

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
12:48 AM

Post #7453451

When he gets them started this Spring I'll send you a picture.
I raised a nice bellpepper in one of the pots too. I had peppers til it frosted.
Half of a barrell will work. Plastic barrell with hole in bottom of it. Wish I was close I'd help.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2010
12:51 AM

Post #7453466

ridesredmule

soudes good

Tubby

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
1:21 AM

Post #7453564

If you like cherry maters Tubby, especially other than red ones, Dr. Carolyn (yellow and pink) are outstanding...
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2010
1:30 AM

Post #7453591

Locakelly

cheery tomatas sound good

Tubby
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2010
1:31 AM

Post #7453595

Hey Loca, have you ever heard of edible lavender lettuce? Petromanula pinnata

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
1:48 AM

Post #7453648

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6466249

I have now - lol...
seray53

January 12, 2010
1:55 AM

Post #7453664

HI RRM

I think it will work in the terrarium you have. Just make sure the peat is moist where you put the seeds. They will need more water than the nepenthes.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2010
2:06 AM

Post #7453699

Hey RRM, you could put those in a tiny tub in the aquarium and keep the right amount of water just on them and it would still be in the same place.
seray53

January 12, 2010
2:11 AM

Post #7453715

I think Mekos has the right idea RRM. I've got my seeds you sent planted Mekos. Keep your fingers crossed for me. LOL I'll need all the help I can get.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2010
2:20 AM

Post #7453746

One of those you sent me said cold stratify but do we go ahead and plant the others, Seray? I got them today and was wondering when to plant and and if we soak them.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
2:57 AM

Post #7453856

I got my seeds today too, Seray thank you so much...Im going to have to find you something really special ..I keep getting packages with your name on them..Your making me feel so loved...I hope I can get them to grow... The temp was pretty nice here today, but the yard is a total disaster...We had all that rain before the freezing temps..You cant walk across the yard without bogging up to your knees..Even the gravel drive just seem to collapse under the weight of my suburban..Ughhh I had it full of groceries.. I certainly wasnt toting them all the way from the front back here to the house..DH will be so proud of me for rutting it up...Ive never had that problem with it before I guess the ground is juts rotten...I have my containers ready to winter sow.. Waiting on my seeds from piggy swap and deciding on which seeds im going to choose to experment with this year..Will hollyhocks bloom there first year?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2010
3:02 AM

Post #7453867

If you winter sow them the usually will but if you wait till spring, they will need to go through the winter before blooms.My first ones I sowed seeds in spring and took till the next year but I found that if you sow now, they will bloom this summer. They handle the winter good.
Piggy boxes go out tomorrow. I still feel for poor Star with all thos boxes to ship out. What a job it has been for her.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
3:18 AM

Post #7453909

I feel for her too!!...Theres no way that can be fun lol...I like playing with seeds but...Im excited to my box and see what all is in there... That was more fun than Christmas...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2010
3:36 AM

Post #7453951

Me too. That has got to be more fun than sorting and sleeping on the sofa and keeping track of everything. I would have been overwhelmed long before now.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #7454001

Yeah and I can imagine what my DH would have been saying by now...I have enough seed collecting clutter just from myself.. I cant imagine adding 30 other people to the list and piling it up around the house lol He would probably put me out of the house..Im gonna need my own lil shack if I keep collecting junk...Cant wait till the kids move out so I can use there rooms lol ... Joking of course...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #7454113

I know what you mean. But thank goodness she is almost done for this year. Now maybe she can sow hers and enjoy her seeds.
Good night everyone. Turning in early tonight. I'm pretty tired out.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7454817

Good Morning Everyone,
Tubby welcome home!! R U ready to see the spring flowers Tubby and bite into a fresh tomato? Keep your eyes on the target ...
Jan I am sorry to hear about your plants and so glad to see you are letting go of the old and planting what you lost that the way girl!!
Hi Seray I see your fairy goodness is still landing on unsuspecting gardeners she is the best isnt she ?
Hugs to you all...keep the horses outta the flowers...
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7454976

arejay

what farget...

Tubby

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7455115

Yes, got to keep the donkeys out too.
They always go for the wrong one.
seray53

January 12, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #7455148

Morning everyone!

Glad the CP seeds are finding their way to everyone. Goth gardens need carnivorous plants!

Huney I'm sorry about your yard. Hate those boggy situations. Spent the winter in IA once and spring was a sorry suction cup of mud. AR won't be much better when you have a month of rain like you did. Can't go any where but up so spring should be wonderful for you. Are you still planning on doing a pink bed out front?

Arejay we miss you! Are you finished with your projects yet?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7456063

Morning everyone! Good to see ya Arejay.
Yes Tubby, focus on a target you want to get to, and head for it.
Spring will be here before you know it. You can't buy a good tasteing tomatoe at the store, they picked so green and shipped, they have no taste. I want a tomatoe I can taste.
However this year I planted a black Krim and it was sweet. Got big and pretty, but I wasn't expecting a sweet tomatoe. I found some lavender blooming lettuce this year I think I'll try for the flower part but if Loca likes it, I might grow some for hubby to eat. (Loca is my ginny piglet) :-) hehe
The sun is shining today.
I went out in short sleeves and didn't freeze, I'm still in shock.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7456226

mekos

I'm headed that way today..ha ha

Tubby
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #7456264

Come on Tubby. It's a really nice day. We'll go through the seed stash and see what to plant first.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7456290

mekos

Ok I ready...

Tubby

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #7456302

We will be getting more seed than we know what to do with. I am ready to see what I got.
The temps are warmer this week. But just enough wind blowing, you know it is still winter. You be careful running around with out a jacket. Don't want you catching a cold.
Hey, Tubby, you doing o.k.? We still thinking of you.
You have our hopes for doing better.
Charley and the longear clan
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2010
10:15 PM

Post #7456321

Tubby, with you being in zone 5, you are colder there probably than here, are you getting snow? Or have you got snow already?
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2010
10:17 PM

Post #7456331

ridesredmule

Doing ok

Tubby
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
10:27 PM

Post #7456365

HI Everyone
Tubby did you get the hostas I sent you? Didn't get the box back so hope that means you got them ok.
I'm taking a break from my latest afghan project might actually finish it tonight since I was able to get the two colors I was running low on today.
I can't wait until I get those piggy swap seeds either told my sister I was bringing them to her house and we would go through the box together.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
10:50 PM

Post #7456437

ok, I am new here...so could someone tell me what a piggy swap is?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
10:56 PM

Post #7456456

You will have to sign up for it next year. You will love it. You Oink for seeds from one of the forums when they start the "Piggy swap" I know there are folks here who can describe it better than me. but you will love it.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2010
10:59 PM

Post #7456468

Mindy

No not yet...

Tubby
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2010
11:04 PM

Post #7456484

Jar, you sign up for it when Star opens the swap in Nov. and you post on her thread what you have to trade then when someone else has what you want, you send them a d-mail and say Oink oink, i'd like your ------ seeds please. They then put your name on it and you keep going till you oink your limit or get what you want. The limit is 100 packs to oink for then at the final part you can send extra seeds in to Star with the ones people oinked from you and get an additional 100 back for those. then along the way Star plays games and you can win extra seeds so in the end if you are a true piggy, you could be like me a fat true piggy with about 200-300 packs of seeds on the way back to you. Star actually let us go over the limit this year so I did make a pig out of myself. OINK! It just ended and the boxes of seeds just went to the post office today to come to us.Should be here by Friday or Saturday.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
11:06 PM

Post #7456492

Hello all...nice to see you all.. Nice and windy here today...Which is a much need thing to dry out this ground..Temp is still cool out tho..I was gonna sit on the porch but didnt take me long to decide I'd be just as happy right here behind this computer monitor..I dont think we made it up to the 50's like they predicted...Maybe its the wind making it feel so cold...

Seray yes still working to make my pink bed happen...I have someDianthus baths pink seeds and some pink phlox seeds im going to WS and some things coming from the piggy swap that I hope to get growing in there...I have a pink brug cutting rooted im going to put there I think considering maybe leaving it in a pot in the corner where the steps come up to the deck.. The deck is about 21/2 feet off the ground so when your standing on the deck the flowers should be lil over head high when grown...hopefully we can enjoy there frangrance that way.. The brugs do come back here each year tho...Havent decided what to do there yet.. I planted some pink coneflowers there also.. Probably some purple ones to lol...You know its hard for me to control myself .. If I have flowers will plant anywhere...Oh well pink and purple work ok together wink...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
11:12 PM

Post #7456514

I bet the woman at the post office will be looking crazy when star come in with all those boxes... I bet she needs a U-Haul just to get them there...

This message was edited Jan 12, 2010 5:13 PM
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2010
12:01 AM

Post #7456671

Now that sounds like fun...but I sure wouldn't want to be Star and keep track of all that...wow! So how does the shipping get paid? Or do you send her the postage? Speaking of which, is it too late to get the "newbie" seed pack if I send the envelop? I also have some extra seeds I would be sending to help others who are new...

Julie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2010
12:05 AM

Post #7456681

You need to go over to her thread. She is narrating her trip to the P.O. and it is so funny.
I'll see if i can link it for you, Julie.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1067409/

Here is the link, I do enjoy Star's trip to take all these boxes of seeds to the post office.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2010 7:07 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2010
12:06 AM

Post #7456685

You send her the postage to ship your box back to you. And d-mail Arejay for info on getting your newbees pack. She will be happy to help you out.
And make sure to keep your WANT list updated so IF there is still a santa want to be out here loitering around he or she can find out what you want and stuff your envelope for you. (Those things happen sometimes you know).
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2010
12:08 AM

Post #7456690

Go over to the piggy swap thread, Star is telling the final trip story right now complete with pictures. I'm cracking up!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2010
12:30 AM

Post #7456743

She did it Mekos. She got them all in P.O. and got back home. That was the cutest thing .
I really enjoyed the trip to the post office with Star.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2010
12:47 AM

Post #7456794

She tells her stories so real, you actually can picture it in your mind just like being there watching it happen! I laughed so hard, I exploded at one point when she was about to drive over the boxes to flatten them out and poke in the outside box, but was afraid of the big seed pod I put in for someone. Picture all those boxes with you in line at the postoffice and everyone in line wanting to get to the counter before midnight and only one person up there working!!! Can you picture all those nasty faces and looks you'd be getting!?! I just did.Hahahehehe Poor Star. Imagine getting all those boxes out of the car and into the post office. MAN! NO It took a WO_MAN to do it. Haha
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #7457455

That was too funny! I loved when she talked about wearing her slippers to church. And running over your seeds Mekos, that was a classic! I want to join in the fun next year!
I love this place...so you all may be stuck with me for quite some time! Thanks for letting me be a part of this.

Take care all...going to read some more...and update my list

Julie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #7457688

You stay with us Jar, we will try to encourage and help you and each other in our little world of Plant love.
Dave's has made me a vey happy person, I have met so many wonderful people. They are so nice and will help in a heartbeat.
I love them all.
I am so glad you enjoyed Star's adventure, I was laughing so hard and telling my husband about her adventures. Of Coarse he was smiling and shaking his head. You know how they do.
Good Morning to all
Hugs and Nuzzles from me and the Longear Gang...
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7457900

I didn't read Stars road trip to the PO but I wouldn't want to be her either cause I know how impatient I get having to stand in line at the PO. My problem there is people standing and just gossiping with the tellers.

Morning all ,bright and sunny day here up to maybe 40 too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7458360

GOOD MORNING. I made it up before noon, barely but I made it. Going to be 50 today. Sun shining so warm outside. Me and Mojo went out and walked around for half hour. Going to be a great day. Love that Star. She's a hoot if I ever saw one. Jar, you should have read the tale about collecting seeds one morning on her way from class at college and the toilet paper and rolling down the hill. I laugh just thinking about it. I'll have to hunt that one up for you to read. It was waaaaay back at the beginning of the swap in NOV. I think. I crack up at her stories. Well, got to go fix dinner.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2010

Post #7458630

She is a wonderful storey teller. She has such misadventures. Flower you need to go read them it will birhten your day. I liked the Poo Machines. It was so funny...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 14, 2010
1:42 AM

Post #7459848

Hi all - hope everyone is well. Took the time to read the thread about the piggy swap - that cracked me up!

It was warm here today - high was at least 53 but the wind blew so hard you would have never known it. Of course, we worked today - that was fun. Bucking the wind in a semi is an experience everyone should have. Almost as much fun as being stung by 1000 bees. LOL

Seary, I got the seeds, thank you very much. CP's are not my thing, they intimidate me. I don't know if I should try them or send them back to you for someone who would really appreciate them. I am a CP murderer - my gothic garden will have to be black, the creepy plants just don't like me.

My plants are looking a little shabby since I returned to work. Seems I don't have much time to fuss over them, I hope this is not an indication of how summer is going to go. I will lose everything during wheat harvest - between June 10 and July 4, we eat, shower, sleep (very little) and work. I don't even pay bills during harvest, we are just too busy. Have any of you used the timers you can put on your water hoses? I wonder if I could put down soaker hoses or something to keep everything going? Maybe set the water sprinkler to run at night so everything gets a good drink while the sun is down. Guess I have a little time to worry about that.

I am starting to panic about getting my seeds going though, It is not long until my official planting date. April 15, tax day and open season on the plant store. LOL

Any veggie gardeners here? I am wanting to plant some this year, however, most seeds say to plant between Feb 10 and March 10. Isn't that kinda early? Won't they get nipped by frost?

Time to do laundry - everyone have a good evening! Lori

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2010
1:52 AM

Post #7459872

What zone are you in Lori (for the veggies)? That will depend on what you can plant when...

If you google for the Agricultural Extension for your county they should have a planting guide you can use...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 14, 2010
1:57 AM

Post #7459887

Why don't I ever think of the county extension? I was in 4-H and FFA for years, they are a wonderful resource for lots of stuff. We used to do reports and speeches based on the info we gathered from thier handouts.

I am in zone 6b - like I said, the seeds say to sow early - I wish my dad were still alive, he would read the almanac and tell me exactly what to do. See RRM, I am even too lazy to read the almanac - much less buy one, my dad always had one and since he died two years ago I have been "lost". Who knew one daddy could do so much for his little girl?
seray53

January 14, 2010
2:03 AM

Post #7459905

Send your seed to Loca Lori she and her boys will raise them up. LOL

You can start seeds indoors during that time. If you plant them outside they will get nipped. I don't plant outside here in GA 9a until after April 15th. I start tomatoes and peppers inside the last part of this month. Under lights with a heat mat. No fun planting beans, see them come up and then watch the frost get them.

Timers at night would work for your plants. Maybe some of those gel water retention things in the bottom of your pots would help during that time. Robin knows about those. Where there's a will there's a way! Right guys! LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2010
2:08 AM

Post #7459916

I start my seeds for peppers and tomatoes mid-December to the first of January. I usually plant out by mid-February. Sometimes I have to cover them if it gets cold, but usually not. A lot of things you can plant as soon as the soil can be worked in the spring, which means it's not sopping wet or frozen. In your zone that probably means lettuces, brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, etc) and peas. They all can take pretty cool temps. Some herbs too - parsley, dill, cilantro. Basil is the only one that likes hot weather. Some things won't sprout in cold soil or they take a long time. Bean seeds will rot in cold soil - found that out the hard way - lol.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 14, 2010
2:23 AM

Post #7459941

Thanks for the info - had forgotten that lettuce, peas... are an early spring thing, get too hot for them here in the summer!

Baby needs a bath, gotta scoot - L.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #7460171

Hope you all had a great day.. was nice here.. Clouding up now and the weatherman is calling for more rain..Oh well not much I can do about that, ha just stay in the house where its dry! See you all tomorrow hopefully.. DH is off work and has to go to the DR so I'll probably go with him.. My youngest son is sick with stomach virus yuck.. He was out of school today..Think im going to turn in early while all is quiet.. Good night
seray53

January 14, 2010
4:26 AM

Post #7460231

Hi Huney

Hope your son feels better and no one else gets the bug. Sorry it's raining AGAIN! Hope the weather man is wrong and the sun shines bright for you!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7460876

Goodmorning all my beautiful friends...Not raining yet thank the Lord but its heading this way..Could be alot worse..Look at those poor people in Haiti..Prayers for all of them...Thanks Seray for well wishes, my son is out again today, hoping he feels a lil better when he wakes up next time...I for sure hope it doesnt make its way around the house...Im trying to keep him bottled up in his room lol...I do hope you all have a great day...My hubby is off today so I'll visit with him and maybe go get some gravel to fill those ruts I made in the drive, before more rain comes and get my heavy suburban parked at the end of the lane...I simply cant believe how the ground just sucked up gravel drive..Again 'OH WELL' guess it make a good bed for the next loads we have brought in...Talk later

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2010
1:43 PM

Post #7460882

Good Morning , everyone. Lori, you can go on the internet to check on the right times to plant. I'll look it up and see if I can link it to you.
Got the link making down now, seray. Thanks girl for educating an old woman that wants to learn.
Hope boy and husband going to be o.k., huney. Hang in there.
Hugs and nuzzles to all.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7461607

Good Morning,
Have you all seen this it is a whole garden of them...
http://500pencils.socialdesigner.com/

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #7461627

Beautiful Pencils. Like a rainbow.
Are they art work pencils Watercolor?
seray53

January 14, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7461800

HI Arejay!

Thanks for the fun! Quite a marketing novelty. According to my calculations 20 mos. X $33.00 mo. = $660.00 Ouch! I think I'll just go to Walmart and rename those. Red I'll name Hot Hibiscus Mama, and Blue I'll go Agapanthus Sky Burst. :) Join me in renaming your colored pencils? We'll call ourselves Dave's Revered Artist Wannabe's. (DRAW)

I know it's irreverent but I'm old and couldn't help myself. Please forgive me. What color is yellow? LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7461877

Seray, you need colored pencils?? I got a bunch. But those were beautiful colors and names.
I got my seeds today. Don't know how I am going to get all those in the ground. It is a treasure ,
Jillions!!!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7461906

You are just so clever Seray what a fun thing...name our own colors!! Like myers lemon yellow... or Zucchini blossom yellow???
Enid here are the frost dates...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7461908

You are just so clever Seray what a fun thing...name our own colors!! Like myers lemon yellow... or Zucchini blossom yellow???
Enid here are the frost dates...http://www.almanac.com/content/frost-chart-united-states
seray53

January 14, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7461909

HI RRM

Glad you got your seeds. I'm guessing this is the piggy seeds. What are you going to do with all of them?

Thanks for the offer of pencils. I have a zillion of those. LOL They were beautifully named that's for sure.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7461911

Is someone swapping pencils instead of seeds? I just got the girl scout cookie order form oh no...
seray53

January 14, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7461940

Yes that's the spirit! Zucchini blossom, Meyer lemon, Sunflower dazzle, Bee wax begonia. LOL Variations on the yellow theme.

How about that wonderful color forest green. Need a little something wouldn't ya say? Maybe Rubber Tree or Wedding palm or Spath bath. Can you tell I'm working and bored to tears today! LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7461943

Yes, they are piggy seeds.
First treasure going to plant in morning is Desert Rose seed. I hope they come up. I have a couple but I want to grow them from seed. Seray, tomarrow will put the sundew in theaquarium. I hope something comes up. I have not seen anything from the nepenthes yet. got my fingers crossed and the sang are in fridge.
Something is going to grow I hope. Seeds are too slow for me...I think or I'm wanting it too fast☺☺
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7461967

Oh Seray did you see that RRmule just got one and doesnt even know it Monkey cup green!! (Nepenthes) Yeah RRMule!!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #7461989

HI Everyone I see some are exercising thier brains today LOL.
I got my piggy seeds today too and already seperated what I'm keeping from what I'm sharing with my sister and best friend LOL I might be good and let them have some others though my friend wants me to grow everything out so she can see what they look llike then pick what she wants I'll think about it LOL. My sister won't care she loves just about all flowers. DH will be in shock if I actually start all of them LOL but it's fun.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7462038

I loved the swaps when I was doing them...I still have seeds form them in my fridge...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2010
9:02 PM

Post #7462048

I love Green, but what color is Monkey Cup Green? Sounds good to me.
What are you all doing playing with pencils?? Inquiring minds want to know.
Also nosey people, which I have been called... But you won't know if you don't ask ...
Right???
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
9:14 PM

Post #7462075

Monkey Cup Green right here... http://www.botany.org/carnivorous_plants/nepenthes.php
seray53

January 14, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #7462112

I'm impressed RRM. Monkey cup green is a wonderful color as is Dessert Rose. I'm saving money playing with my pencils. LOL I guess I'll use them to draw up my Goth design.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7462123

Hi Robin.

Nice pencils you got there...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2010
9:36 PM

Post #7462126

So are you all wallowing in yer piggie seeds? lol
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7462156

HI Everyone
Yep Loca I am going to be hard to finish my crochet projects with those seeds hanging around.

OK here's the latest crochet project I just finished last night. Already started on a new one right after I finished it so stay tuned.

Thumbnail by Mindy03

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #7462202

That is so pretty Mindy. What are the stitches used? One looks like a puff stitch.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #7462215

Thank you flower. It's made with a double crochet cluster stitch (work 3 dc but not the last stitch of each one then pull loop through all four) and single crochet with chain one between the clusters and single crochets. I love this pattern because i can make it look totally different just by chaning colors or the way the stripes are spaced.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2010
10:10 PM

Post #7462219

Oh, my gosh!! I just looked at that link, seray. I love Monkey Cup Green. Especially after seeing it.
It is Beautiful. Thanks girl. I keep looking for green in that aquarium and don't see anything yet...
dog gone it..

Pretty Mindy, I forgot to tell you.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2010 5:12 PM

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2010
10:10 PM

Post #7462221

Beautiful as always Mindy!
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
10:11 PM

Post #7462225

Ok I know the cluster stitch too and really that was what I was thinking but came out as a puff stitch LOL Dummy me. I'll try to get a pic of the one sis is making when she gets it done, it is really pretty done in 3 different colors.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
10:48 PM

Post #7462344

Very Pretty Mindy , I didnt know you crochet too Flower you are just so crafty all the way around...
seray53

January 14, 2010
11:01 PM

Post #7462374

Robin's link, RRM. She gets credit for that wonderful Monkey cup color find. Desert rose speaks for itself.

Very nice Mindy! I think I see Cathedral bells white and a Wisteria Cluster in there.

Off early for the weekend!!! Didn't fire myself for fooling around all day. Life is good!

Hugs to all

jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
11:04 PM

Post #7462379

OMG Mindy...I love that afghan...that is absolutely beautiful
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
11:31 PM

Post #7462479

POINSETTIA petal red!!
Also known as the Christmas flower, legend has it that poinsettias began as a humble weed. When a little girl with no means for a grander gift placed weeds on a church alter, they turned in...to brilliant red blooms. Symbolizing good cheer and merriment, this December birth flower is a fitting tribute to December`s joyful celebrations.
seray53

January 15, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #7462650

I'll trade you Poinsettia Petal red for Hot Hibiscus Mama much better red than mine. Even the history is interesting. One of their red pencils for $1.32 was called Jessica. Now what kind of gardening name is that! LOL Good one Robin!

For all you evening peeps who are wondering we are saving money. Instead of buying the fancy named colored pencils on the link Robin sent this am for $660, we are renaming the ones we bought at Walmart. We have Monkey Cup green, Desert Rose, Meyer lemon, Poinsettia Petal, Wisteria cluster, Zucchini blossom. All have to be flower or plant names. We are Dave's Revered Artist Wannabe's. DRAW for short.
We need some purples, browns, greys and blues. LOL
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2010
12:40 AM

Post #7462724

Delphinium Bell Blue
seray53

January 15, 2010
1:55 AM

Post #7462940

Baby Blue eyes, Nemophilia menziesii

Thumbnail by seray53

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2010
1:57 AM

Post #7462943

Yall are NUTS! I'm playing with my BOX full of seeds. I got a gazillian today.
Seray, I got us seeds for the A. Galbra all the way from Australia. Came today. So you can add that name to our Amorphophallus lists. YE-HA!!!!
Lori, I mailed out your Lupines without the clivia miniata seed. I just found it on my desk in all the clutter. I'll send it tomorrow if I can remember.
My granddaughter got bit yesterday from a huge pit bulldog and almost took off her arm so I didn't get home from the hospital with her till late last night and just turned my computer on today. She is gonna be ok but it was a miracle. Long story but it's ok now. Animal control and sheriff are looking to get the dog and destroy it. Just messed up my nerves and trying to calm down now. Turning in early and try to be back sometime tomorrow.
Seray, send me the names of the seeds you wanted so I can get yours out to you too. Good night everyone.
I feel an auction coming on!
seray53

January 15, 2010
2:02 AM

Post #7462954

Sorry about your granddaughter Mekos. Hope she does ok. Have fun with your seed box. Scary isn't it - Mekos with a gazillion seeds!

Amorph gold That's my favorite pencil! LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2010
2:06 AM

Post #7462964

Hehehe. Leave it to Seray. haha good color.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #7463395

Hope your granddaughter is ok Mekos. Have fun with all those seeds.
How about Passionate Plum Lavender? Is that purple enough? or this one

Purple Sage

Thumbnail by jar617

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #7463823

Jan hope your grandaughter is doing good and not suffering too much. Give her an extra hug from us.

Thanks for all the compliments on the afghan I kinda of like it myself LOL but then I always like my scrap yarn afghans never know how they will turn out until they are done.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7464296

Seray, I [plant the sundews, Mekos I planted the Arisaema Fargesii today.
Going to replant an orchid that looks sorta rough. Don't want to overwater it. I did get some Orchid soil at HD. Planted my Desert Rose seed from someone -was no name but I got them planted-hope they come up. I got some cactus, I need to plant too.
Just got to do it.
How about? Grower's Green for a color Purple Passion
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7464460

Does any one else think we need a new thread? I do LOL
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7464590

Dogwood White new thread on the way!Q!
seray53

January 15, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7464595

Purple sage is good! Glad you're potting up RRM. Need to do the same with some orchids I have.

Ready for a new thread too!
seray53

January 15, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7464618

Queen Anne's Lace white. LOL
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2010

Post #7464663

New thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1069492/
enidcandles
Enid, OK

January 15, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #7465034

How old is your granddaughter Mekos? DH says he has a pit bull putter to sleeper in the pickup - he will be there in a few days to take care of that. He says his friends Smith and Wesson can handle that problem! How horrible!! Pit bulls are dangersous - some can be really good dogs but that "mean" is bred in them and you never know when it is going to come out. I will pray she recovers quickly and with minimal scarring!

I got the Lupines, thank you very much! Now we will see if I can actually get them to grow.
Baby is gone for the weekend so may actually get some stuff done.

Time for a nap - been on the road all day and I am exhaused - I will talk to y'all later.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2010
10:35 PM

Post #7465273

New thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1069492/
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
3:01 AM

Post #7465926

How about Dandelion Green... I've got lots of them in the Spring.

Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
3:11 AM

Post #7465950

Thats a good one Al come over here new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1069492/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America