-
AuthorContent
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7417099

When do y'all start your tomato seeds? I have heat mats, lights, & racks.

Thanks

Maggie
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 1, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7417522

I buy cherry tomatoes at the grocery store, and if I find one I like, just squish it and throw it ontop of a good pot of soil and wait a couple weeks. Cherry and grape tomatoes will tolerate the summer heat and humidity here, and they are indeterminate, so they keep going and going til the fungus gets them. I know it's cooler up where you live. Orlando can get freezes all the way through February. If you start them indoors they need lots of light or they'le stretch. Please share pics of the progress you make. Most of us green thumbs like watching the drama of a plant's life cycle.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #7417561

I'm new to Florida, but started my seeds the 2nd of January last year - everything did well and grew into lush plants by mid-summer. I only started the Florida native tomato seeds (the rest were annual vines).
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7422458

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I did not get a chance to start them yesterday as I & hubby were moving plants. I ordered heirloom tomato seeds last year and still have plenty left I'll try again.

Thanks,

Maggie
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #7422966

Just got mine planted this weekend as well. Peppers too.
Pillita
Keystone Heights, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7426784

I was going to start mine at the end of the month. According to the DG frost date calculator, my last average frost date is March 6, but based on my experiences living in this part of Florida, we usually have frosts after that. When do you plan to set your tomato plants out? I hate the idea of having to try to cover foot tall young plants.
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7463641

Hi,
Which are Florida natives? I've got some tomatoes in the ground from Lowe's since Thanksgiving - I couldn't resist. Of course, they spent the last two weeks under layers of remay and a blanket and still suffered some frost damage, but I think at least half (I only planted a six pack) will make it.

Thanks for the information!
ApopkaJohn, I have a dg friend in your town - was down visiting her last month for the first time, in fact!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America