Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: heater soil cords...

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 30, Views: 348
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

January 1, 2010
10:35 PM

Post #7417626

anyone use these? If you have what did you use to put the soil in?
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7427213

I'm not sure if I'm thinking along the same lines as you or not. What exactly do you mean when you say "heater soil cords"?

I've done a DYI version of heating soil with rope lights. Sounds strange, but it worked great. Almost did an article on it for DG once. Anyway, here's how I did it. I had found a site about it someplace and then adapted it to fit my needs.

I used rubbermaid type containers. Bigger than food storage, but not tote size. Probably about the size of a cat's litter box. I actually used two of these containers per set up. The bottom one held the rope lights, which I held in place with some clamps and glue. If you get the right kind of rope lights you can cut them to length without any problems...so they produce the exact amount of heat you want. There is a chart somewhere online that states how much heat they generate per inch (or foot, whatever). Then I covered the rope lights with SCOOPABLE kitty litter. It's very much like sand if you've never used it. Sand would work probably better. If you have cats watch out!

The second container simply sits on top of the sand or kitty litter. You can put soil in it if you like, but I chose to just put my seed trays in it. It was very easy to water them and care for them this way.

I used a digital thermometer to check the temp of the sand/kitty litter periodically. It was always dead on with no problems.

This is a much, much cheaper way of heating soil than buying heat mats, etc. I also think this is much safer than some of the things I've seen people come up with...although I am not this has NO risks. I'm sure there are some. There's always SOME risk when you DIY with electricity, especially if you add water anywhere near that. I never had any problems with it, no concerns whatsoever and mine ran for months and I never unplugged it or even thought about it.

Good luck with yours. If there's anything I can do to help anyone with this set up please feel free to dmail me anytime!
Heather
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

January 11, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7451011

thanks! here is my make shift soil warmer unit. Couldn't find a box big enough so I used a rough tote and cut it down and drilled holes for drainage. So far so good.

Thumbnail by tishrh
Click the image for an enlarged view.

heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7451303

That looks a lot like what I used. Let us all know how it works out! You can give us a tutorial on how to do it. Can't wait to see all those seedlings!
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

January 11, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7451353

I found an actual soil warmer cord so i cheated a little. lol. I got a growers light also to put up. Here is a pic of before soil.

Thumbnail by tishrh

heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7451538

Very nice. Yepper, that's just what I did with the rope lights. How are you taking the soil's temp? Are you using a digital thermometer? I suppose you could get one of those thermometers that's used for an aquarium and stick it to the side of the container. That may work really well, and I think they are usually pretty cheap at Wal-Mart.

What type of grow light are you using? I always used fluorescent shop lights and they work great. Lots of folks on here use them. They plug right into a wall outlet and can be hung so you can raise and lower them as the plants grow. Plus they are usually really cheap.
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

January 12, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7454892

my grow light. It is a reflective grow light with bulb though I have used the fluorescent shop lights and like those as well. I haven't checked the temp on the soil yet. I was going to get a medicine thermometer and see if it works. Must be fine I already have some babies coming up.

Thumbnail by tishrh

tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

January 12, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7454916

My passion vine babies -alta red

Thumbnail by tishrh

tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

January 13, 2010
10:26 PM

Post #7459226

Does anyone know when to transplant passion vine? They are an inch big now...I figure you wait til they have two leaf growths right like any other. well almost any other.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2010 6:39 AM
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7470560

When they're big enough to safely handle is the best time, IMO. When things are too small, my fingers will mess them up every time.
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

January 21, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7481594

I don't know if anyone is interested but meat digital thermometers are great for finding out what temp your soil is!
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7481934

Great idea!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2010
12:57 AM

Post #7513675

What are rope lights and where do you buy them? Ive been using a heating pad wrapped in thick towels. I have since read that to be very dangerous because they are not meant to be in use for such a long period, 24-7. Also, I have no idea what temp this generates. Thanks for all the ideas on this forum. I like the rope lights and kitty litter idea very much. I use the shop light as a grow light.
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

January 31, 2010
2:05 AM

Post #7513880

rope lights are the ones you see at christmas time. If you google rope lights it will bring up alot of answers.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 1, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7517487

Well you guys will use anything. That is great. I think rope lights are the one that hang under cabinets. Someone has to set us straight on that. I remember buying a underground warming cords and found one in the bottom gardening drawer. I tried the first one outside and that did not work. Duh...I have several new seed heating mats. One was a gift from a DG member that did not use it. It was a double mat. I will try the cord and the mats and see what works best. Only because that is what I have. The rope lights are much cheaper and probably give out a slow warmth. I just need to know where to get them because they would be great on my cuttings.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
6:15 AM

Post #7517755

Thanks for the info on rope lights. I think I will try that. It sounds safer than what I am doing.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
11:50 PM

Post #7520066

I want to say that I bought mine at Costco, or maybe Home Depot...

Yuppers: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100211571/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2010
2:01 AM

Post #7590747

That's a very good idea. So far, I have old heating pads that I wrapped with towels so they wouldn't get too hot. I have seedlings coming up!
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7591990

YAY!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2010
10:37 PM

Post #7592807

How many inches down are the rope lights?
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2010
12:26 AM

Post #7593056

Inches down? I'm sorry, evelyn, I don't understand ...?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2010
2:00 AM

Post #7593275

OK, I mean how many inches of soil did you put on top of the coils? And did you put soil in first, then coils, and then soil? Sorry, I was not clear on this.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7594570

That's okay, I get it now.

I don't know if people are actually burying the rope lights or using them like a heat mat under starter pots and such. I'd be a little nervous burying them - I suppose if they're rated for out door use they can get wet without an issue, but I don't know how long they'd last underground - ?

Does anyone have any experience burying the light ropes?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #7603119

OK, PC, how did you use yours? Just put them under seed trays? Did you use towels or anything like that? I would just like to get an idea of how they are used...thanks!
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7639663

Sorry I didn't see this until now - life has been a little upside down.

I imagine they're probably attached under a shelf if they are used in on wire shelves. You could also put them in a box and then set seedling on top of the lights.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7639902

OK, you mean that you don't have them yet, right? Now I understand.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #7657337

I've done this. The rope lights I used were Christmas rope lights. http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=christmas%20rope%20lights&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi if that link doesn't work just do a google search for Christmas rope lights. somewhere on the web (and I don't have time to find it right now, but I'll be back) there is a site that tells how much heat these rope lights give off per foot (or meter). It's not enough to burn your house down, but it IS enough to heat up for germination. If you get the right type of rope light you can cut them to the length you want. This type is sold on eBay and that's where I got mine.

I used 2 rubbermaid (type) containers about cat litter box size. The bottom one I attached my length of rope light to after I cut it to the length I wanted. I attached it with "c" clamps and screws to hold in place. I filled the screw holes with silicone. I don't think all that's necessary. It could just lay there. YOu want it spread out across the entire bottom, not just coiled in the center or the heat won't be evenly distributed.

then I covered it with the scoopable kitty litter because sand was not available to me at that time. By scoopable I mean the closest to sand like that I could find. No chunky stuff. I covered it to almost the top of the container. Probably an 8" deep container.

Then I sat the other container on top of the kitty litter. In THIS container is where I put my plants. Plants were in pots or flats. Pots and flats were taken out to be watered. ***BAD*** idea to mix electricity and water. I do admit that after I got comfortable with the set up and got lazy I just removed the top container and watered into it. When the water was dried up I just put the container back.

I checked the temp of my kitty litter daily with a digital thermometer.

I used this system for months and I never had any problems with it. Of course, I'm sure there could be problems. There could be problems with anything...that's how it goes when you're trying to do it on the cheap and diy. But, if you're interested, that is how it's done. When I have time I'll find the site that says how much heat the rope lights put off.

There is a site out there with step by step diy instructions on this. My set up is a bit different than theirs, but basically the same. I'll see if I can find that site later too.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2011
10:45 PM

Post #8344339

Lowes carries the rope lights all year long. I found that new ones have been introduced that use LED's and they dont generate the heat like the old ones do.Cam
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8365845

[quote="steadycam3"]Lowes carries the rope lights all year long. I found that new ones have been introduced that use LED's and they dont generate the heat like the old ones do.Cam[/quote]

Will the LED type rope lights produce heat at all? Does anyone know if the non-LED style rope lights are still sold or not? I'm told by local Walmart that they're in the process of resetting departments for spring and rope lights will be in garden department in next couple of weeks but I don't know if those will be the LED type or not. And I need them like yesterday. LOL.

Thanks.

Rolleej
Gerrardstown, WV

February 11, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8367487

No LED rope lights will not work, you need incandescent ones
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8368357

I was able to get the non-LED ones at Lowes but you need to read the label and make sure you are getting the older type. I suppose at some point the non-LED's will not be available. They will probably stop making them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America