Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
VGMKY
Louisville, KY

January 3, 2010
2:27 AM

Post #7421586

Links to these sources should provide you with some of the best sources for heirloom seed varieties any where.
Gary

South Carolina Seed Association, Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina
Good seoection of Butterbean varieties as well as many other vegetable varieties.
http://virtual.clemson.edu/groups/seed/heirloom.htm

Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center, Berea, Kentucky --- Heirloom Beans from the Appalachian region. They also have a few selections of Heirloom Tomato varieties.
http://www.heirlooms.org/catalog.html
alaska_rick
Juneau, AK
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7429333

Hi Gary,

Hope you are feeling well.

There is also a very nice company called Baker Creek and they have a lot of excellent seeds. They also have one of the best catalogs you will ever see. They have lots and lots of different varieties and some amazing photos. It makes you want to grow them all. :-)

Rick

http://rareseeds.com/cart/

Thumbnail by alaska_rick
Click the image for an enlarged view.

twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7429484

http://www.cherrygal.com/gardenvegetables-c-12_44.html

Small sampler size pkts. of nothing but heirloom vegs. Reasonable prices on most of it.
alaska_rick
Juneau, AK
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #7429641

wow, I am impressed by all of these really good seed sources. Thanks all.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7430534

Wow indeed!

Am giving Cherry Gal seeds a try this year!
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2010
12:06 AM

Post #7432260

I've ordered from Cherrygal and have been very pleased with her selection, prices, and speed of shipping. I've also ordered from Victory Seeds and have been equally pleased.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/
VGMKY
Louisville, KY

January 6, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #7432861

Some of you may remember my friend, Maria, who has her own E-bay Store listed as Blue Ribbon Tomatoes. I have shared many of my Kentucky tomato varieties with her for several years and she is a dedicated grower. She has a wonderful listing!
Gary

Blue Ribbon Tomatoes specializes in Kentucky heirloom tomato seeds. We're located in a rural county in central Kentucky (zone 6), and actively search out newly discovered local heirlooms. Tomato varieties that have evolved here are the thoroughbreds of the tomato world. They tend to be large and sweet family jewels, grown for the simple reason that they taste good sliced on a plate.
http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M30472
girlgroupgirl

January 8, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7442860

Thanks VGMKY, I am going to see if I can order some seeds!

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange: http://www.southernexposure.com/index.html

Freedom Seeds (although there is no seed information for each variety, but they do sell some heirlooms) http://www.freedomseeds.org/

Just a few I enjoy ordering from for vegetables. I also enjoy growing loads of heirloom flowers and have different sources for them (not posting them here)...

I need more heirloom beans and in particular, limas as a gift for a friend.
JulieTAdolf
Moore, SC

January 28, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7505082

Hi all, newbie here to Dave's Garden...but I'm growing literally thousands of heirloom tomatoes and peppers right now, and I have to say--both Baker Creek and Seed Savers Exchange have been terrific to work with. I know they're a little busier right now, but I received my first seed orders this year from both companies within two days. Baker Creek didn't charge me any shipping (it was a big order), but that was a nice surprise--plus they always include a free pack of seeds. Additionally, the germination rates are amazing...I'm extremely pleased. With the 70 varieties of tomatoes and 30+ varieties of peppers, I can honestly say that the germination rate is around 98% from these seed sources.

Look forward to chatting with you all about heirlooms!

Happy planting!

Julie

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2010
2:28 AM

Post #7510688

I also like Sand Hill preservation center. Their main goal is to maintain genetic lines. They seem like good people.
VGMKY
Louisville, KY

January 30, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7511528

1LISAC, Yes, Sandhill Preservation Center is a great source for many seed varieties and many varieties of poultry. Glenn Downs and his family operate the farm while he teaches full time. Carolyn Male is a friend with them and shares many of her heirloom tomato varieties with them. She has stated that with the large number of heirloom tomato seed they offer that they are replaced with new seed every two years. I have been a volunteer for Thieneman's Nursery for ten years now and we have depended on Sandhill for supplying some of our seed for spring germinations; they are very generous with their seed count and the price is good on the pocketbook!!
Gary
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7512286

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/

These folks have a good selection at great prices. They have a very extensive offering of heirloom tomatoes. I've ordered twice and have been very satisfied.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 30, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7513084

I went to the web site and they are so buy that they aren't taking any more orders for awhile. I booked marked it and will look back in a few days.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #7513109

I got their catalog for the first time aweek or so ago, and it was so interesting that I felt I was reading a magazine. I don't know how he works full time and does seed and poultry preservation. My next order will be with them. I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need any more chickens, since it seems that despite my best efforts the fox and racoons get more then their far share.
Lisa
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

January 31, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7515551

The bureaucrats in the European Union decided some years ago that only varieties on their approved list can be sold commercially. To get on the list requires a long and expensive rigmarole; so many heirloom vegetables and flower varieties disappeared from commercial catalogues. The Henry Doubleday Research Foundation (now renamed Garden Organic) came up with an ingenious way round this - the Heritage Seed Library. You pay a subscription of ten pounds a year, and you can 'borrow' up to six varieties a year from their catalogue. The theory is that you save fresh seed and return it.

They only accept seed back if you can be absolutely certain that it is pure, so many subscribers don't return it; but there are no penalties for overdue returns!

This enables them to stay within the law and keep many heritage varieties in circulation.

Pat

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2010
12:51 AM

Post #7516839

I wonder if that's what's going on between Baumaux and Kokopelli in France. My command of French legalese is sketchy, but Baumaux, a large seed and garden products company, is apparently suing Kokopelli, which deals in heirloom seeds, for damages because of the varieties of vegetables and flowers which they sell, and it has something to do with an approved list.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

February 1, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #7518046

The EU has lot's of rules that make things difficult. Our own government has problems agreeing just think if we had to include Canada and Central America in decisions. I don't even want to think about it.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7552868

alaska_rick, oh,you are SO right! I (due to my superslo landline connection) I have been on Cherry Girl .com all afternoon and most of the evening, and haven't even got to the tomatoes yet...ARRRRRRRRRRGHHHH!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7552870

So many lettuces, and so little time...

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #7553036

Evelyn, have you looked into a wireless modem? That's what I finally ended up doing because my phone line was too poor for DSL and I live too far off the road for Comcast and satellite didn't sound very reliable. I can get a great signal from Verizon on my cellphone at home, so I went with Verizon's plan. AT&T and the other carriers have similar options. You get a wireless modem that plugs into a USB port, and for about $60/month you can get 5 GB of downloads/uploads. I usually don't use more than 2 GBs at the most, except for a couple of months ago when my 12-year-old granddaughter decided to set up a Justin Beiber (tweenage heartthrob) website from my account, or else it was listening to streaming videos. Either way, the next bill was $190 over our usual amount!

For me, though, the $60/month has definitely been worth it.
dlbailey
Central Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7574248

Has anyone had any problem recieving their seeds from Heirloom Seeds? It has been over 2 weeks with no response from the company. I have bought from them in years past (5-6 yrs ago) with no problems. Luckily, I bought my bulk purchases from Baker's Creek, Native Seeds/SEARCH and Victory Seeds. Recieved them with in 2 weeks even with 2 holiday weekends and a delay due to excessive orders.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7574328

VGMKY wrote:Some of you may remember my friend, Maria, who has her own E-bay Store listed as Blue Ribbon Tomatoes. I have shared many of my Kentucky tomato varieties with her for several years and she is a dedicated grower. She has a wonderful listing!
Gary

Blue Ribbon Tomatoes specializes in Kentucky heirloom tomato seeds. We're located in a rural county in central Kentucky (zone 6), and actively search out newly discovered local heirlooms. Tomato varieties that have evolved here are the thoroughbreds of the tomato world. They tend to be large and sweet family jewels, grown for the simple reason that they taste good sliced on a plate.
http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M30472[/quote]

Gary, would you mind asking her if she would like to be listed in the Garden Watchdog? We won't list eBay vendors unless they want to be listed, since they already have a feedback mechanism in place. But since she has her own website: http://www.blueribbontomatoes.com - she may want the added exposure of a free listing here ;o)
dlbailey
Central Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7574353

Oh, I ordered from her these last two years. I already added to the company to Garden Watchdog with a postive review. Its listed as Blue Ribbon Tomatoes. Is this the right name?

Last year, I recieved 40 seeds from her. Most of them came up and fruited. I can't really tell you how they tasted because my braty hens got to them first. You would have to ask them which one was their favorite.

This year I ordered another set of 20, Purple Dog Creek, Grandfather Ashlock and Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag. I am really looking forward to the Purple Dog Creek. My garden will be more secure. So, I will actually be able to try them this time.

Just checked. Not listed on watchdog.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2010 8:40 AM

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7574372

Mmmm, I couldn't find it:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/advanced.php?search_text=blue ribbon

dlbailey
Central Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #7574377

It may have been taken off. I am new to watchdog. So, I am not sure how it works.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2010
3:29 AM

Post #7598478

Greenhouse_gal,

Thanks, but our cell phone reception is poor here as well. I will have to make do. Most times, there really isn't any big problems, I just sometimes have to wait on intricate websites. I shouldn't complain as the service is only $7.95 a month, if you pay a year in advance. If I need to do anything complex, I can take my laptop into town when I go, and use the library's free high-speed wireless connection.

I just need to get off the computer, and on to my seed-starting!

CHEERS!

Evelyn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 21 Jul 29, 2007 8:56 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America