Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Mantle decorations

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

Well, I'm at that period of post-Christmas, pre-Valentine's Day. The Christmas decorations are coming down and I want to decorate my mantle for the rest of the winter. Help. :) I'd prefer to stay away from snowmen and like a natural look. Any ideas? If you have a photo or link, that would be beautiful, I'm a very visual learner.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I do snowmen so my pics won't help. Do you have some kind of swag up? berries or even the evergreens can still stay up. How about any of the woodland creatures, moose, bear.
I actually put my V-day decor up already and have it mixed with my snowmen, generic winter decor/

Not my pic but I love something like this among a swag, I can't do this because my brick is too dark and the twigs wouldn't show up. I have spray painted twigs red and done them in a colored vase.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Also not my pic, this is absolutely gorgeous.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

What's your decor style?

Something like this would bring you right thru V-day

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gosh this is fun I can do this all day.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Nice ideas there, flowerjen!

Brenda

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

Great ideas, flowerjen! I have nothing up right now! It's bare and ugly. I like the assorted white pillar candles, but I also like the clear vases with the twigs. Hmmm... now the wheels are turning! Just needed some inspiration! I think I'm going to spraypaint some twigs red (good idea, by the way) and add some V-day decor to it.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

It's past the time, but this is what I've done in the past during that time frame. Some years I leave my snowmen out thru the end of Feb. Some years I dont' even put them out til I take down xmas!

I also have collected bird ornaments and decorations over the years and I put those out for Jan and Feb. Many of them are winter type of decorations with bird with snow, etc.

Jan always was such a let down until I started doing the bird thing!

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

My Christmas mantel was swathed in a deep red irridescent net, and I trimmed it in greenery, poinsettias and glass beaded bunches of grapes. The flash made the grapes look like lights.

Thumbnail by bivbiv
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous decor!!!!

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you, flower! The original fireplace hidden underneath is a really ugly 1940's mauve tile. I covered the whole thing with sand textured paint, then stained it with wood stain. The original mantel was much smaller and had dentil molding. The fireplace surround is made of styrofoam, also covered with the textured paint and then stained. The rippled light spot on the right was just a natural chemical reaction which I left because it looked as if it belonged there. The wood inset on the mantel doesn't show up very clearly. It's a beautiful Javanese wood carving that's probably at least 100 years old, very weathered. I'd have to say that out of the many exotic things in this house, this is probably my favorite. My DH always says I'm design (that's my profession--interior design), and he's production. Thank goodness he's so talented at producing my ideas! He made the mantel so it looks like the carved piece is inlaid into stucco. Actually, the mantel is made of wadded newspaper, sprayed with styrofoam that was then given the shape we wanted with a rasp.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Nicely done, Biv!

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, bsavage. It was a really fun project. It's amazing what you can do with styrofoam. I've also used it as the base for decorative door and window surrounds. Unless I tell people, they never have an inkling what it is. It's around a guestroom window and the guest bathroom windows and two doors in the living room. There are three more doors to do in the living room. Btw, we call the guest bathroom The Casbahth.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL! (The Casbahth!) How about some pics of those projects?

Brenda

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

"Casbahth" ceiling. The shower curtain is in the background...with a Javanese carved wood cornice.

Thumbnail by bivbiv
Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't know about your monitor; but on mine, the ceiling looks rather pink. It's not; it's a cream color, and the walls are pale terra cotta.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

The sink is Mexican, but it goes well with the look of the bathroom. I like mixing things from various countries and periods.

Thumbnail by bivbiv
Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

I bought a California tile table on eBay so I could use its top as wall decor in the bathroom. I love treasure hunting on eBay. The carving above it is unclear, but it's a pretty piece from India.

Thumbnail by bivbiv
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

NICE. The tiles in the last pic would match my kitchen.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Then I'd love the colors in your kitchen.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Shower curtain & Javanese cornice.

Thumbnail by bivbiv
Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

So has anybody decorated a mantel for spring?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Your casbahth is very pretty! Love the ceiling!

Brenda

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Brenda. When I found that Moroccan brass lantern, it was painted turquoise. The ceiling medallion was painted by a friend who does all kinds of faux finishes and murals professionally. When I send her a client, rather than taking a commission from her, I always take it out in trade. Works well for both of us!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Perfect!

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

I love treasure hunting. I think I have seven Moroccan lanterns in different shapes and sizes in our living room, guestroom and the Casbahth. One of them is in the photo of the Christmas mantel, sitting on the floor to the right. One of my other favorite things to do is to repurpose something, such as using the tile tabletop as a wall decoration. I use a candleholder as a soap dish and towel holder. An old sofa arm became a ceiling medallion in the TV alcove.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a closeup of the mantel with the Javanese carving, which I estimate to be about 100 years old because of its extreme weathering. This type of thing is used as exterior adornment.

MsKatt, have you done a spring mantel? Pictures? I love seasonal decorating, but my house doesn't lend itself to it. About the only things that can be done seasonally are my dining table centerpiece and a cornucopia in the kitchen. Mostly I use the cornucopia to store potatoes, onions, and garlic...any produce that doesn't need refrigeration.

Thumbnail by bivbiv
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ok everyone...here's another in between dilemma. I do not want to put out pumpkins or very fall-y stuff yet what's a good bridge into fall for mantel decor??? apples?? but I am totally not a country decor person so most of apple decor is really country.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Flower, what's the style in that room? Is it traditional? Can you post some photos?

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

How about black eyed susans, mums...some sort of late summer blooms? Maybe something back to schoolish, without looking like a kindergarten room? I dunno. I'm in the same spot as you, lol.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hee hee someone said the same thing about a type of BTS celebration...hmmmm maybe if I had like an antique clock and old school supplies, with some old books that would look really cool.

Ugh the style of this room(our family room/office) modern day family trashed...is that a style??? LOL This is the 2nd to last room(the 1st being the family bath) I need to redo, I have a VERY eclectic taste, I like some aspects of all styles except maybe ultra modern. I really thought I had some pics of the mantel...weird can't seem to find them. I know I don't have pics of the overall room because it's not done yet...as far as we got it painted (coffee cream color) and I got faux suede roman shades(dark brown). I wanted originally to do this room mission style arts and crafts. Right now I just decorate the mantel with no regard to the room...hee hee.... at least the mantel looks good!!!!

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

What color is the mantel and fireplace? What material is the fireplace made of? Whatever you do, I'd keep it simple. Too many people overload their mantels.

I don't know about the BTS supplies, etc. It sounds a bit kitschy.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here's my Americana decor...which I realized while doing it...... I need more stuff.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

and as you can see dark colors(the blues in this case) do not show up well. The blue birdhouse was painted by my son when he was 5.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Anyone do their fall mantels yet????

Southern California, CA

I don't redo the mantel for each season-but I would love to see photos of yours to give me ideas. I like old things and I saw this photo recently. The photo may be a good excuse for me to buy seasonal old things (if they're cheapo) if I don't have some packed away. I like this little tabletop scene b/c it groups items I like (oldies) in an interesting way for a seasonal spark of whimsey in an often dreary and humorless world. I think these items could be grouped on a mantel as well.

Thumbnail by J2222
(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

The tv is on the mantle but here is my nod to Halloween. Found these at Goodwill. Don't know how old they are. They looked handmade and were only a couple of dollars (each?)

The witch has long hair that I'm not sure you can see in the mirror.

Linny

Thumbnail by Linny1
Southern California, CA

Linny: Those were a find! The grouping looks really good together. David Hicks, one of my fav decorators used to call them table-scapes (like landscapes, I guess), we'll have to call them mantel-scapes.

Southern California, CA

My DD grew gourds this summer. Here are 3 in a wooden bowl, for my end of summer display.

Thumbnail by J2222

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.