Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Voting Booth: How are your garden photography skills?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 136, Views: 1,316
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

January 4, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7425860

There are a total of 265 votes:

My garden photography skills are non-existent.
(30 votes, 11%)
Red dot

My camera is better than my abilities!
(90 votes, 33%)
Red dot

I need new equipment. (what is on your wish list?)
(29 votes, 10%)
Red dot

I need help with composition.
(9 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I am somewhat experienced, but would like some advanced lessons.
(83 votes, 31%)
Red dot

Other. Tell us!
(24 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7425897

Since I started growing plumeria I have been sharing pictures of my blooms with others. I am getting better (even winning the DG photo competition last year) but I still have plenty to learn!

Thumbnail by Dutchlady1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7425913

Mine is non-existant. I take pictures and they mean something to me but other people need a translater to find out what they are.
Vickie

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7425946

I just point and shoot. I know what going on there. I guess that's all I care about.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #7425980

I leave the photography up to my daughter who does a great job!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #7426061

I am trying to get better, even recognizable birds are do-able with my camera. I've seen how well other folks have done and know that I can learn these skills too. It just takes free time...
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 4, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #7426093

I am very talented at garden hose pics. I'm SO hoping for a Hose Catagory in the Photo Contest (hint, hint Dave). ps How come the pic never looks like what you see through the little window? Are there photo gremlins?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7426134

There are aparently photo gremlins dragging hoses in front of your camera when you take pictures, right? And I have the kind of gremlins that shake the lense or distort the focus so that my pics turn all fuzzy and barely recognizable. I am sure that there are a lot of different kinds of gremlins out there...
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

January 4, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7426189

Ever since the advent of digital, I have become quite skilled!!! I even had a photo make it to Gardening By the Yard on HGTV!!!! The photo was selected from Dave's Garden postings, and permission to use it was properly sought. I wish my gardening skills were as good as my photography ones!

WAIT - did you just change the choices???? OMG - I am losing my mind!!!!!!!! I swear those options are not the ones I had to pick from. I would vote NOW for advanced lessons !!!!! I had previously chosen "other".

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 5:54 AM
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7426211

I have a wonderful digital camera that I have had for over 10 years. It uses standard floppy discs and has a 14X zoom. It can either be used as point-and-shoot with automatic settings, or can adjust aperture or shutter speed. I love it so much I bought a backup on E-Bay! I use it mostly for garden and bird photos and use the best pictures each year for limited edition calendars for family and friends. This year's calendar features weather pictures, last year was sparrows. One year I even had a fungus of the month, though birds and flowers are the usual topics.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #7426219

Mediocre at best... I want to blame my vintage camera but am afraid to buy a new one and find out it's not the camera. 8 ))

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #7426359

I love my old 300D Rebel, but it is just about ready for the Happy Hunting Ground. Got my eye on at least a 50D, but until the old one croaks, I'm to cheap to spring for it.
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7426518

I get lucky sometimes, but could definitely use some lessons! My old Sony takes wonderful close-ups, but the (expensive) batteries are just about done for. A friend's Rebel XT makes me drool...
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2010
3:31 PM

Post #7426543

I take tons of pics of my flowers and beds. I'm not that crazy about digital photography, but have bit the bullet on it, and I do like the 'delete' feature. I'm quite pleased with my Olympus Stylus 1010 - basically a point and shoot with a super macro feature. Don't plan on taking any classes - I try to teach myself something new on camping trips (lots of spare time) by dinking around with the camera. I miss photo albums.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7426547

I used to be a professional photographer so I have some experience but with the advent of digital cameras most of mine now are just point and shoot for keeping memories and cataloging the ever changing gardens.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 4, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7426553

WOWSER beautious pic Doug!
Hillbilly_Gran
Jasper, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7426555

I need lessons AND a better macro lens
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7426568

I am intentionally trying to learn. I just only last year bought a digital camera, at the same time I bought a 50-year-old fixer-upper house. It's been invaluable to take pictures of appliances and walls and things before I take them apart, so that I have a good guide how to put them back together again. I'm going to try something similar with the yard (which is also a fixer-upper) this year: Last year I had all these scribbled diagrams of what is planted where, which only make sense to me and sometimes not even that. I'm going to try taking a photo of the bed, printing it plain paper, and marking it up.

I struggle with photos of plants for identification. To be fair, I think a lot of that is my eyesight. I am very very nearsighted, and now on top of that I need reading glasses. So aside from just getting the plant to hold still in the breeze, and getting the sun facing the right way, and a clean background with some kind of scale, there's a whole torturous ordeal of shifting glasses lenses to be able to focus and then review the photo. So if I were going to take a class or buy a book, I would want it to be "Botanical Photography for People with Bifocals".

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7426662

Sign me up for that course, Realbirdlady...grin Batteries got stupid expensive for my Nikon, DH went out and bought rechargeables and a charger. With three of us with cameras it just made sense. He found a deal at WalMart...8 AA's and a charger for $20 . So much cheaper than the Lithium batteries he was using. Now we just take a pair of the lithiums along as back-up.
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7426771

We bought a Pentax K20D (DSLR) and a couple of nice lenses in 2008. I'm pretty sure it knows how to take better pictures than I do, but I'm happy with my photos for the most part. At least with digital you can see the picture right away and if it's terrible, take another one. Digital has completely changed the way we take pictures since they are basically free (no film and processing to pay for) and we can throw away the bad ones (which we don't do as often as we should). So far we have taken more than 10,000 photos in a year and a half.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7426874

I take alot of photos of my plants & flowers, and they're ok, but I Really want a new camera with a macro lens.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 4, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7426888

I like the digital cameras. Take some shots, go put them on the computer, if they are bad, you can go retake it.
I have hundreds of photos on my computer. I need to go through them & delete ones that are no good! I might have time some day!
I voted other.

Bernie
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7426938

I am a very amateur photographer. I only use the automatic settings, so far. But I was quite amazed last year when I had the opportunity to acquire a better camera. Even the point and shoot feature on the newer camera took 500% better pictures.

Mine is a Sony DSC-H50. One really neat feature that I use all of the time, is that the viewing screen comes away from the camera body and can be titled upward, so that you don't have to get low down on the ground to take shots. That one feature alone, has made for much better photos as I will take shots over and over until they are right, without having to keep getting up and down.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7426997

I picked other since I have been taking photos for 40 years. First with a SLR and now with a DSLR. I think I am pretty good!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltdiva/collections/72157604117264555/
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7427003

I voted "other" because I'm a combination of all the choices. Thanks to digital, I can now afford to take the 900 shots I need to get the one I wanted. I've been really happy with my point & shoots, and upgraded to a DSLR a couple of months ago. I still need to get the telephoto lens I want, but I'm learning how to use the camera, which is much smarter than I am!
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7427412

I'm fine with my skills as they are. Nothing great, but OK for me and what I need.
alheline
Dundee, IL

January 4, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7427866

Have the camera I want. Have the lenses that I want. Have the flash that I want. Even have the software for photo enhancements that I want. Now, if I could only get rid of this d*&# SNOW.

Seriously, love to shoot - natural light as much as possible. Calming the wind so that I can shoot slower speed is however, a problem in Chicago.

Thumbnail by alheline

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 4, 2010
10:06 PM

Post #7427873

Back up computer photos which are good--friend lost several yrs of pictures when the computer crashed. Still use film here, so skills are not bad on the camera which I focus. The one on its own is a worse photographer than I am.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 4, 2010
10:07 PM

Post #7427881

Great irises in focus!
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

January 4, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #7428276

New digital camera with faster recovery and a longer zoom. I love all kinds of photography, but especially birds! I should add that I only started taking lots of photos 12/08 with a new digital camera. I have a Sony Cyber-shot 1080/8.1 mp/10x.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2010 11:39 AM
blueflower19
Lufkin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2010
1:06 AM

Post #7428589

I have a bridge camera - panasonic lumix fz35. I HAD a fz28 until we got robbed a few weeks ago. Thank goodness for home owners insurance!! I spent the last year getting to know the fz28 and learning (or trying to learn rather - short attention span) about photography to be able to better use the camera to it's full potential. I would LOVE to take some classes.

Thumbnail by blueflower19

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #7429223

I should have voted 'Other' I guess.
I have training in Photography but more in the studio/wedding line... did it and hated it after a while.

All nature photographers should treat every shot as a learning experience...
There are just too many factors you are trying to bend to your will to know everything.
Just when you master one another rears it's ugly head... that's the challenge and the fun.
Gardening in many ways contains the same challenges and fun.

That said my camera definitely knows more than I do...
I trained on old no frills cameras and still generally shoot in that mode now.
The nice thing w/ Digital is I no longer have to spend endless hours in the darkroom.
What took hours to do can now be done in minutes... love that!

And on new equipment... well if anyone has a spare Nikkor 500mm f 4.0 lens... lol!

Ric

roybird
Santa Fe, NM

January 5, 2010
4:24 AM

Post #7429349

I fell in love with digital cameras because they are so quick and easy. Really, there is no good reason why everyone shouldn't be able to get good pictures these days and many people do!

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
11:46 AM

Post #7429768

I might add that when I'm out sightseeing, strangers often approach me to ask if I'd take their picture. My daughter explained that I don't look like the kind of person that would run off with their camera. One couple had to tell me that I was holding the camera backwards! LOL
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #7429849

I want a camera that captures the colors the way I see them. I hate it when the composition and light is right but the colors are off. It is usually the reds that are difficult to capture.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7430586

I need to take lessons. I have a very good point and shoot camera, but I just make snapshots. I am improving with practice but I really need to take lessons. The problem with that is that the lessons are 40 miles away and I can take Spanish here -- which I do with DH. So, I guess I am doomed to be a mediocre photographer. Oh well.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7430745

We have two expensive cameras and lenses, but have never taken the time to really learn how to use them. But I get lucky shots often.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7430759

I crave an expensive camera and lenses, but I know I would have to learn all about focal lengths and f-stops and would have to take a class and practice a lot. Maybe I will just stick with point and shoot.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7430767

Or you could just use the expensive camera AS a point and shoot.
Then gradually move over to full use as you learn different techniques.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7430840

Yes, I know people who do that. That will probably the way I go -- eventually.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7430849

That seems to be the easiest course. I plan to start that later this month. I find that approach works best for me on the computer programs as well.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7430918

Reading the manual and doing what it says it how I learn each new camera I get. I love that digital cameras allow you to practice and see your results immediately. I find it the quickest way to learn!
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7431018

I like the digital camera and get lucky sometimes obtaining the pictures I have in mind. I think the picture Doug took is absolutely beautiful. Of course here I won't get pictures like that. Or maybe I will with this artic blast that has come down. Hey...we moved south for warmer winters. Well...shut my mouth...another hard freeze tonight!!!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #7431178

All of my camera equipment got stolen. All $1000.00 worth of it. They broke into my car and trunk and took it. So I would like to replace the equipment with a good 35 mm camera. I like Canon with a 50mm lens, a wide angle, close up lens and a zoom lens. My Christmas list for next year. Til than I just have a small digital camera that sometimes works.
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

January 5, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #7431523

That is so sad, Marti001. I'm sorry that happened to you.
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7431883

Marti001, I hope Santa is real good to you next year. I am sorry for you too...hope your car was not damaged too bad. It is a horrible feeling when someone does something like that to you.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2010
11:57 PM

Post #7432239

left Neb/Mn area after sittin thru the blizzard, to return home to south Tx, it's 40 degrees and I am still cold. Brrr. there were 6 ft drifts in York, Neb, but Grand Island where we waited for the gates to go up mostly kept blowing. Ran from LA,Ca across Vail Pass, chuckl, sat in Denver for Christmas. The plants are warm under the snows, and I am cuddled in a blanket to my nose, looking at the pics my digital cam takes n GLAD I am south, at least for the rest of the week. I browse thru the shots of my dbl pink confederate rose in bloom, mourn over the plants in the water pond that are waiting for warmer suns to return to life, and look again at the glorious beauty they gave me last year...they are enuff to cheer my heart with what I have

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2010
12:13 AM

Post #7432295

warmer daze

Thumbnail by kittriana

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #7432303

september blooms in mid Oct

Thumbnail by kittriana

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2010
12:51 AM

Post #7432482

Have: $100 camera

Want: $10,000 camera

Won't get it.

'nuff said!

Resin
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

January 6, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #7432512

I can relate to that!
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7433154

To be truthful I'd have to say that I absolutely hate being on either end of a camera. 99% of the pictures I take are of products that I'm selling on my websites (and I even hate having to take those.) So I voted "non-existent", but have no real desire to do anything about it.

My husband, on the other hand, is enamored of photography, but he is intrigued by light, shadow, strange angles, etc. He would likely be horrified if he produced a photograph that anyone else could actually identify -- so I think garden photography is out for him as well.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2010
4:00 AM

Post #7433269

He could photograph fungii McCool.
Hardly anyone can identify them anyway... ;-)

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7433585

When I travel, my camera bag is bigger than my suitcase... I am a slave to my bag, drag it around everywhere and never let it out of sight. I am constantly making pictures, picture books on a web based company, and movies. I just bought an underwater camera and a digital video camera, you may call me utterly obsessed.

My garden is only this beautiful today, and my son is only this cute today, and my cats are only this cute today, :-) and so... I have to make 500 pictures a month, of which I keep about, hmmm, 100!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #7433976

I have had Nikon SLRs since I got my first job and had disposable income! For a while I actually made some money doing natural photos of children, but then I switched to oil paintings instead. A few years ago I bit the bullet and bought a Canon G2 digital camera, but when I tried to photograph my art for my website I got a moiré effect from the texture of the canvas. Canon refused to acknowledge the problem although I found comments on the web about others who had experienced the same texture issues, so I ended up getting a Nikon D70, which I love and which has a moiré filter built in, apparently. I use it for photo shoots for portrait commissions and also to take lots and lots of pictures of my garden and my granddaughter, who is one of my favorite models. I've tried longer lenses for bird photography but I'm never happy with the results. Otherwise I'm very satisfied with my camera and my photos.

Here's my garden, taken in July...

This message was edited Jan 6, 2010 7:59 AM

Thumbnail by greenhouse_gal

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 6, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7434115

July sigh. LUV the stonework g_g!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7434613

I voted - My Camera Is Better Than My Abilities ... even the little disposable cameras are better than my abilities! ^_^

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7434637

Well I got lucky for Christmas. The wife and two grown boys got me the exact camera I had been looking at and was going to purchase during the first quarter of the year. It's not a SLR but a Canon with a lot of the features that SLR's have so I'm happy. I still have the ole' Pentax 35 mm and a Mamiya 6x7 film camera that I can use if I really want to do something in a large format. I told them that since I did not have to spend the $380 on the camera now, I could buy $400 worth of plants come spring!!! The wife didn't think that was funny for some reason...

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug

FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7434654

Greenhouse-gal, love your garden. Is that tomatoes staked up in the back??
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7434686

Lovely photos.
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 6, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7435400

I voted for "camera is better than me". I'm trying to learn as much as I can about my Nikon D-40. It's a great camera and one day I'll have a better mastery of it than I currently do.

Thumbnail by DesertPirate

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7435582

Dahlianut, we used to have a brick walk that we put in ourselves but alas, time, weather, and shifting sands made it truly precarious. So we actually contracted to have a yard guy make the current brick walk and patio for us. We do love the look! In the summer we can be found happily seated at the little table with a glass of DH's wine, surveying the garden. I've watched bluebirds and hummingbirds and butterlies flitting around. Very inspirational...The greenhouse is on the right.

FlipFlops, those are indeed tomato tripods beyond the patio. We make them out of bamboo poles and they work well.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7435599

I don't have anything to do with this website--but wanted to recommend them if you are a beginner as their tutorials are pretty good. If you just want to read up on techniques or learn something new, read your manual first--then check out this site.

http://digital-photography-school.com/

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2010
1:09 AM

Post #7436466

Thanks, cactus. I can definitely use that tutorial. Just signed up for the Digital Photography class at the local branch of UNM. It hasn't made in the past and probably won't make this time either. Sigh. I am not eager to drive to Santa Fe for a digital photography class at night, but theirs always make and even fill up. Sigh. That tutorial may be the best I can hope for.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2010
2:23 AM

Post #7436691

Be very sure to get on the Manufacturer's web site also.
Many have very good in depth tutorials on their cameras.
And hey they want you to be able to use it.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2010
3:09 AM

Post #7436839

Good point, Ric. Here's hoping that Samsung has a camera website in English, I have been dissapointed trying to find translations for my washer and oven.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2010
4:38 AM

Post #7437085

I was actually just at Nikon's site getting info for another DG'ers 30 year old 35 mm...
Just Google your make and model and the word Manual...
ALL the manuals for every thing in our house w/ one I have on a jump drive...
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7437221

Wish I could understand the manual for my Mac.

I voted to take classes to become a better photographer, but I could also use a better camera too!
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2010
12:12 AM

Post #7439741

If one of you have a camera that takes close ups and you have a camera that is better than your skills, I would be glad to give it a good home!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
12:35 AM

Post #7439827

I'm with you venice. I'd be very, very happy to give a good camera a good home. HEE!HEE!
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

January 8, 2010
12:37 AM

Post #7439835

Anybody got a macro lens for a Canon Rebel DSLR? that they don't want. I want one!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
12:41 AM

Post #7439850

Canon Rebel LR is my camera of choice. I'm trying to save up to buy one. Lucky you!!
tropicsofohio
Hilliard, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
2:52 AM

Post #7440271

I voted need new equipment. i love photography, and cheap digital cameras just dont cut it, but i have managed to get a few good shots from them:)

Thumbnail by tropicsofohio

tropicsofohio
Hilliard, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #7440279

I just found the color photo:)

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2010
3:48 AM

Post #7440505

Very pretty. Chalk one up for cheap digital cameras. In my view digital cameras are where its at, cheap or otherwise. Except for major artistic projects which few of us engage in.
tropicsofohio
Hilliard, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7441905

mmk... so i thought this forum is an open invitation for photos... so i'll upload a few more:)

tropicsofohio
Hilliard, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7441912

beech tree

tropicsofohio
Hilliard, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7441919

Queen ann's lace

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7441929

Love the tree picture. I have a picture of an oak tree that looks like its setting on a rock. Took it with a 35 mm camera. When I get my box of pictures shipped out from Calif, I'll take the negative down and have it along with other great plant pictures I've taken put on a disk so I can load them on my computer. I have pictures of that oak tree in full leave and in the winter dormant. Everyone gets the biggest laugh out of it.
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7441977

I get so jealous of all of you that have cameras that can take beautiful close-up photos!
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7442068

Lord, If I can't take better pictures this year, at least help me to take more. Amen
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 8, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7442512

DH has the best camera, but mine is good also. He worries about f stops and light and this and that and I just point and shoot. Sometimes I get lucky.

Thumbnail by JeanK

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #7442663

Well, that is a beautiful shot of the bird at the birdbath. You got very lucky that day.
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 8, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7442831

Thanks. Birds spook easily, and I had to sit very still and wait. I had several that weren't so good, but the joy of digital is that you don't have to pay for a lot of bad prints!
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #7443088

Love all your pictures. Here's one of my favorites I took in the spring. Two baby robins in our dogwood tree.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7443193

Such nice photos by everyone -- keep 'em coming.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2010
10:38 PM

Post #7443256

The dove and robins are just delightful! What fun!
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2010
11:26 PM

Post #7443402

I have a small canon digital camera . It takes nice pictures but I really like photo shop because It helps me get the photo I ''thought I took.

Thumbnail by gardengus

venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2010
11:37 PM

Post #7443443

Gardengus, what kind of flower is that? It is gorgeous!
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2010
11:57 PM

Post #7443502

I don't know. It is a thistle of some sort, photo was taken on the banks of the Mississippi.
I thought it pretty, but don't need thistles in my garden.
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

January 9, 2010
1:11 AM

Post #7443791

Nice photos and some very informative comments.

I'm new to DG and still learning about the site, I was pleased to see that I can add photos here.;-)

This is a small lake my husband and I were checking out for fly fishing come spring not too far from where we live.

Thumbnail by mcash70

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2010
1:15 AM

Post #7443798

Welcome to Dave's it is a great place to meet new friends, learn and share.
Your photo looks very remote, and what a great background.
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

January 9, 2010
1:35 AM

Post #7443858

I live in the high country, 3500 ft. above sea level, about 35 miles SW of Kamloops, BC. Can.
claudcat
Cupertino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2010
1:40 AM

Post #7443875

My camera is better then my abilities. I usually take pictures of my flowers. They are ok. But, now I'm getting into
birds. Ugh!!!!! Most of my photos are awful for birds. I have a CanonSD950 IS. Maybe I just have to learn how to use it
better. It's a point and shoot.

Here is a rosebud of Outrages. No birds. LOL

Thumbnail by claudcat

FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2010
2:35 AM

Post #7444060

Welcome Mcash. I live in the "very low" country. 15 ft. above sea level LOL I bet it is very beautiful where you live.
Claudcat...Beautiful picture and what a lovely color rose!
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

January 9, 2010
2:57 AM

Post #7444141

Beautiful color rosebud. I lived in Union City/Fremont area for 11 years and grew beautiful hybrid tea roses...sigh!! No way I can grown them here.
My best friend lives in Hayward and we e-mail most days.
AuntAnne
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7444371

I just saw this today, ok I'm slow. JuneyBug apparently the gremlins have migrated over from S. Korea. My hoses manage to jump in the pictures here in Texas as well. And the hoses are in cahoots with dead leaves and trash blown in from I've no idea where, lol. My pictures are pretty to me and show off my pretty blooms to friends, neighbors and anyone I can shamelessly show off to.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #7444817

I Love, Love, Love taking pictures...thank God for digital where I can toss all the blurry ones.

Some come out though. Here's one from last summer.

Thumbnail by morganc

FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7445480

Morganc...Wow!!! I just love your picture.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7445537

Morganc, thanks for posting that lovely bee picture. You should end that in the DG photo contest in the fall. Actually those of you with your bird pictures should do the same. They are wonderful -- also the Thistle by the Mississippi.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #7445585

Wow, I didn't see the bee from the thumbnail image. That's a gorgeous photo - and beautifully composed, too!

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7445817

Thank you all so much for your lovely compliments. But we live in such a beautiful area, surrounded by gorgeous nature, that all I have to do is point and shoot.

Sometimes it's just noticing something you "see" all the time...with a new perspective.

This was taken this fall. I loved the reflection.

Thumbnail by morganc

mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

January 9, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7445919

Morganc those are great shots!

I have problems with focus and like you I just keep shooting, thank goodness for digital cameras.

These are baby cones on my dwarf Mugho pine.

Thumbnail by mcash70

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7445992

Morganc, that's gorgeous with the reflection! mcash, your cones aren't too shabby either. Maybe you need a closeup lens, though, if you like getting right in there?
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7446032

Great photos, everyone! Beautiful~

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7446040

mcash---I don't know what a Mugho pine looks like but the babies are adorable. Great shot!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2010
4:40 AM

Post #7447792

Looks like the "camera is better than abilities" is pulling ahead. Guess that means we are not the only ones that don't take time to read all of the instructions! LOL!

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7448222

Why read instructions? Just get in there and "play" and learn as you go!
Much more fun that way. I had my camera for 6 months before I knew it had a close up flower feature.
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 10, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7448391

When all else fails, read the instructions was my brother's motto, and I admit I pretty much heed that too. Some people (me) do better with "playing" rather than reading instructions. My grandmother could not read crochet instructions and follow them, but could look at a piece and and duplicate it. This is not to say she couldn't read, but just was adept at looking and copying something.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7448393

I have always been more of a "show me how" person than reading instructions.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7448432

Me too. When I get a new camera I put it on automatic first and gradually figure out how it works, resorting to the manual only if intuition and fiddlind doesn't do the trick. I don't take classes in things, either. The pace of instruction really bugs me; there's so much I don't really need or want to learn about!
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7448444

From time to time, I pull out the manual and focus on learning just one new feature. I practise that feature a lot and then it becomes routine for me. I always try to do this before taking a trip. I use the same technique with software programs. Trying to learn them all at once overwhelms me and if I don't use the features regularly, I forget how to.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7448505

I am not big on manuals either, but have been known to peek into them for features like macro ( close up for flowers.) I learned that there was such a thing as macro and what it was here on DG and then looked it up in my manual. Probably would have thought my camera wasn't good at closeups if it weren't for DG.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7448580

I rely on my granddaughter or sons to explain electronics and fix things like changing the time on my answering machine. I am embarassed to say my son had to show me the "play" button on my camera -- it was previously just hit or miss to view photos. Duh.
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7448647

I'm a show me person at first also, then I will read a little of the manual. There are so many features on cameras and most electronics these days I need lots of help from my son, daughter and husband.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #7449149

OMG...there are a lot of us "show me" folks. And of course the kids know more than us...they are born cable ready!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7449172

Not always; my son still asks me computer questions! His mind doesn't work that way and mine does! On the other hand my granddaughter shows me features on my iPod Touch that I haven't figured out. She has one, too.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7449266

Welcome to DG mchash70 ^_^
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7449286

Thank you dahlianut.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2010
2:33 AM

Post #7450252

I only bought a digital a couple of years ago just for plant/flower photos for DG. I'm not great but I will occasionally luck into a good photo=)
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 11, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7451135

These owls watched us all one afternoon while we were preparing a daylily bed. Although we walked back and forth underneath them, they didn't budge. I call this one "What do you think the humans are doing, George?"

This message was edited Jan 11, 2010 8:01 AM

Thumbnail by JeanK

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #7451329

Jean, very cool photo. I hear owls all the time in our back woods, but have never seen one. I've also never seen a squirrel, chipmunk, raccoon, or deer on our property - although I know they all live here. Weird. Or perhaps it says more about my eyesight...
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7451556

Great picture of owls! They are very shy. Your daylily bed must have been fascinating.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7451611

[quote="morganc"] the kids know more than us...they are born cable ready![/quote]

Indeed they do. We bought the 5 yo GKids in the family digital cameras this year for $9.99 at Wal-mart that hold 120 pics and you can download to the computer. They take pics right and left like they have been doing it a long time.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7451633

Those look like barred owls; do you hear their "Who cooks for you! Who cooks for you ALL!" call at night? What a great photo!
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7451725

I love the pic. of the owls. I hear them but never see them. What a great treat to actually see a pair of them!
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 11, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #7451823

We have determined that they are barred owls. Ours don't seem too shy. We see them sometimes actually sitting on our roof. Suppose we don't pose much of a threat to them so they aren't afraid to hang around. They have been around for a long time. We once had a workman here that used to live down the street years ago and he asked, "Do the owls still live around here?" Bonehead: you are lucky if the raccoons, squirrels, deer and chipmunks stay out of sight, but do they cause damage in your yard? We have all of the above, plus armadillos back in AR and last summer the deer ate just about everything in sight at our house. They particularly liked the hostas, hydrangeas and daylilies. An armadillo can make your lawn look like it has been bombed in one night. They don't eat plants but uproot them looking for grubs.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7451903

Jean--- love the photo of the Owls; aren't their faces adorable? =)
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7451905

We used to have a lot of Armadillos in Mississippi, but I don't see many any more. Guess, some natural enemy is getting them. When there were loads of them all the neighbors were shooting them like crazy. Not me, though. I don' t shoot things. I just trap mice and rats and gophers. I don't hassle any other creatures.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7451950

Jean -- No, strangely enough, none of the critters do any damage that I am aware of. I know they all live around us - we're on 15 acres and I'm guessing they just have enough natural habitat to not feel the need to come into the yard. Plus we've always had a dog, usually mid to large size, and one or two barn cats. Now if only I could get a handle on the mole problem. We do have a neighbor rat terrior who actually catches them on occasion, and my boxer mix tries her darndest to imitate Rat-Boy, but I don't think she's as successful as the little guy with the pointy nose.
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 11, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7452037

Be grateful for the dog.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7452084

The pic of the Owls is great! Probably wondering if they could take you on together. :-)
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7452092

Funny, morganc. Yummy humans.
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

January 11, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7452200

Morganc. Probably thinking that we would be too old and tough! Waiting for the young and tender ones to come out! LOL
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7488964

My son just sent me his old 35 mm Ricoh. He got a new digital camera for Christmas from his wife and her family. He says he knows its not the Canon that I wanted, but will it do for now. OF COURSE, it will do for now. With my new garden going in, I want to keep pictures of the work and progress. Been out all day cutting downed tree limbs to make a raised bed. Time to take a break and get something to drink, cola and eat an orange.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7489123

marti--be sure and send pics when you take them.
:-)
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7489409

I will. I have to show everyone how their babies are doing in my care.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America