Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

How are your garden photography skills?

There are a total of 265 votes:

My garden photography skills are non-existent.
(30 votes, 11%)
Red dot

My camera is better than my abilities!
(90 votes, 33%)
Red dot

I need new equipment. (what is on your wish list?)
(29 votes, 10%)
Red dot

I need help with composition.
(9 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I am somewhat experienced, but would like some advanced lessons.
(83 votes, 31%)
Red dot

Other. Tell us!
(24 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Since I started growing plumeria I have been sharing pictures of my blooms with others. I am getting better (even winning the DG photo competition last year) but I still have plenty to learn!

Thumbnail by Dutchlady1
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Mine is non-existant. I take pictures and they mean something to me but other people need a translater to find out what they are.
Vickie

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I just point and shoot. I know what going on there. I guess that's all I care about.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I leave the photography up to my daughter who does a great job!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I am trying to get better, even recognizable birds are do-able with my camera. I've seen how well other folks have done and know that I can learn these skills too. It just takes free time...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am very talented at garden hose pics. I'm SO hoping for a Hose Catagory in the Photo Contest (hint, hint Dave). ps How come the pic never looks like what you see through the little window? Are there photo gremlins?

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

There are aparently photo gremlins dragging hoses in front of your camera when you take pictures, right? And I have the kind of gremlins that shake the lense or distort the focus so that my pics turn all fuzzy and barely recognizable. I am sure that there are a lot of different kinds of gremlins out there...

Olympia, WA

Ever since the advent of digital, I have become quite skilled!!! I even had a photo make it to Gardening By the Yard on HGTV!!!! The photo was selected from Dave's Garden postings, and permission to use it was properly sought. I wish my gardening skills were as good as my photography ones!

WAIT - did you just change the choices???? OMG - I am losing my mind!!!!!!!! I swear those options are not the ones I had to pick from. I would vote NOW for advanced lessons !!!!! I had previously chosen "other".

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 5:54 AM

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

I have a wonderful digital camera that I have had for over 10 years. It uses standard floppy discs and has a 14X zoom. It can either be used as point-and-shoot with automatic settings, or can adjust aperture or shutter speed. I love it so much I bought a backup on E-Bay! I use it mostly for garden and bird photos and use the best pictures each year for limited edition calendars for family and friends. This year's calendar features weather pictures, last year was sparrows. One year I even had a fungus of the month, though birds and flowers are the usual topics.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Mediocre at best... I want to blame my vintage camera but am afraid to buy a new one and find out it's not the camera. 8 ))

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I love my old 300D Rebel, but it is just about ready for the Happy Hunting Ground. Got my eye on at least a 50D, but until the old one croaks, I'm to cheap to spring for it.

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

I get lucky sometimes, but could definitely use some lessons! My old Sony takes wonderful close-ups, but the (expensive) batteries are just about done for. A friend's Rebel XT makes me drool.....

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I take tons of pics of my flowers and beds. I'm not that crazy about digital photography, but have bit the bullet on it, and I do like the 'delete' feature. I'm quite pleased with my Olympus Stylus 1010 - basically a point and shoot with a super macro feature. Don't plan on taking any classes - I try to teach myself something new on camping trips (lots of spare time) by dinking around with the camera. I miss photo albums.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I used to be a professional photographer so I have some experience but with the advent of digital cameras most of mine now are just point and shoot for keeping memories and cataloging the ever changing gardens.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WOWSER beautious pic Doug!

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

I need lessons AND a better macro lens

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I am intentionally trying to learn. I just only last year bought a digital camera, at the same time I bought a 50-year-old fixer-upper house. It's been invaluable to take pictures of appliances and walls and things before I take them apart, so that I have a good guide how to put them back together again. I'm going to try something similar with the yard (which is also a fixer-upper) this year: Last year I had all these scribbled diagrams of what is planted where, which only make sense to me and sometimes not even that. I'm going to try taking a photo of the bed, printing it plain paper, and marking it up.

I struggle with photos of plants for identification. To be fair, I think a lot of that is my eyesight. I am very very nearsighted, and now on top of that I need reading glasses. So aside from just getting the plant to hold still in the breeze, and getting the sun facing the right way, and a clean background with some kind of scale, there's a whole torturous ordeal of shifting glasses lenses to be able to focus and then review the photo. So if I were going to take a class or buy a book, I would want it to be "Botanical Photography for People with Bifocals".

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Sign me up for that course, Realbirdlady...grin Batteries got stupid expensive for my Nikon, DH went out and bought rechargeables and a charger. With three of us with cameras it just made sense. He found a deal at WalMart...8 AA's and a charger for $20 . So much cheaper than the Lithium batteries he was using. Now we just take a pair of the lithiums along as back-up.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

We bought a Pentax K20D (DSLR) and a couple of nice lenses in 2008. I'm pretty sure it knows how to take better pictures than I do, but I'm happy with my photos for the most part. At least with digital you can see the picture right away and if it's terrible, take another one. Digital has completely changed the way we take pictures since they are basically free (no film and processing to pay for) and we can throw away the bad ones (which we don't do as often as we should). So far we have taken more than 10,000 photos in a year and a half.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

I take alot of photos of my plants & flowers, and they're ok, but I Really want a new camera with a macro lens.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I like the digital cameras. Take some shots, go put them on the computer, if they are bad, you can go retake it.
I have hundreds of photos on my computer. I need to go through them & delete ones that are no good! I might have time some day!
I voted other.

Bernie

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I am a very amateur photographer. I only use the automatic settings, so far. But I was quite amazed last year when I had the opportunity to acquire a better camera. Even the point and shoot feature on the newer camera took 500% better pictures.

Mine is a Sony DSC-H50. One really neat feature that I use all of the time, is that the viewing screen comes away from the camera body and can be titled upward, so that you don't have to get low down on the ground to take shots. That one feature alone, has made for much better photos as I will take shots over and over until they are right, without having to keep getting up and down.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I picked other since I have been taking photos for 40 years. First with a SLR and now with a DSLR. I think I am pretty good!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltdiva/collections/72157604117264555/

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

I voted "other" because I'm a combination of all the choices. Thanks to digital, I can now afford to take the 900 shots I need to get the one I wanted. I've been really happy with my point & shoots, and upgraded to a DSLR a couple of months ago. I still need to get the telephoto lens I want, but I'm learning how to use the camera, which is much smarter than I am!

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm fine with my skills as they are. Nothing great, but OK for me and what I need.

Dundee, IL

Have the camera I want. Have the lenses that I want. Have the flash that I want. Even have the software for photo enhancements that I want. Now, if I could only get rid of this d*&# SNOW.

Seriously, love to shoot - natural light as much as possible. Calming the wind so that I can shoot slower speed is however, a problem in Chicago.

Thumbnail by alheline
South Hamilton, MA

Back up computer photos which are good--friend lost several yrs of pictures when the computer crashed. Still use film here, so skills are not bad on the camera which I focus. The one on its own is a worse photographer than I am.

South Hamilton, MA

Great irises in focus!

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

New digital camera with faster recovery and a longer zoom. I love all kinds of photography, but especially birds! I should add that I only started taking lots of photos 12/08 with a new digital camera. I have a Sony Cyber-shot 1080/8.1 mp/10x.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2010 11:39 AM

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a bridge camera - panasonic lumix fz35. I HAD a fz28 until we got robbed a few weeks ago. Thank goodness for home owners insurance!! I spent the last year getting to know the fz28 and learning (or trying to learn rather - short attention span) about photography to be able to better use the camera to it's full potential. I would LOVE to take some classes.

Thumbnail by blueflower19
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I should have voted 'Other' I guess.
I have training in Photography but more in the studio/wedding line.... did it and hated it after a while.

All nature photographers should treat every shot as a learning experience...
There are just too many factors you are trying to bend to your will to know everything.
Just when you master one another rears it's ugly head.... that's the challenge and the fun.
Gardening in many ways contains the same challenges and fun.

That said my camera definitely knows more than I do...
I trained on old no frills cameras and still generally shoot in that mode now.
The nice thing w/ Digital is I no longer have to spend endless hours in the darkroom.
What took hours to do can now be done in minutes... love that!

And on new equipment.... well if anyone has a spare Nikkor 500mm f 4.0 lens... lol!

Ric

Santa Fe, NM

I fell in love with digital cameras because they are so quick and easy. Really, there is no good reason why everyone shouldn't be able to get good pictures these days and many people do!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I might add that when I'm out sightseeing, strangers often approach me to ask if I'd take their picture. My daughter explained that I don't look like the kind of person that would run off with their camera. One couple had to tell me that I was holding the camera backwards! LOL

(Zone 9a)

I want a camera that captures the colors the way I see them. I hate it when the composition and light is right but the colors are off. It is usually the reds that are difficult to capture.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I need to take lessons. I have a very good point and shoot camera, but I just make snapshots. I am improving with practice but I really need to take lessons. The problem with that is that the lessons are 40 miles away and I can take Spanish here -- which I do with DH. So, I guess I am doomed to be a mediocre photographer. Oh well.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We have two expensive cameras and lenses, but have never taken the time to really learn how to use them. But I get lucky shots often.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I crave an expensive camera and lenses, but I know I would have to learn all about focal lengths and f-stops and would have to take a class and practice a lot. Maybe I will just stick with point and shoot.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Or you could just use the expensive camera AS a point and shoot.
Then gradually move over to full use as you learn different techniques.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I know people who do that. That will probably the way I go -- eventually.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.