Farming Grants

Spiro, OK(Zone 7a)

Is there such a thing? I've been looking around the 'Net, but mostly they seem to be for research or organizations, not small farmers just starting out (or, they require years of farming experience to qualify). We've got a piece of land we'd like to buy, or, we can use our current land but we need financial assistance for livestock and seedstock. Are there any legit resources out there? Thanks!


Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Eileen ~ I am not sure what is out there but you might also research it from the small business perspective. Good luck.

southeast, NE

You might check with the USDA Rural Development - listing of area offices as follows:

USDA Farm Service Agency has low interest loans; however, I believe they require 3 years farming experience (Schedule F). They may give you some suggestions.

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

There is a grant or loan out for high tunnels in some states. For production of veggies for farmers markets and such.
Check the FSA site for your state

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I just got a FSA loan and you don't have to have three yrs farming experince IF you have a Ag degree. Just FYI. FSA and the USDA do have alot of grants out there. Not to mention you can work with the conservation department and the NRCS for natural wildlife help and fencing costs.

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

Also you can enroll as Socially Disadvantaged too. As long as you own 50% of the property.
That will help you too, there are some loans for for SDAs only.
I am going today, or Wednesday. I have 7 acres and 5 will be planted in corn this year. Next year I am not sure...

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

question???? Why would wanting to be a farmer make you Socially Disadvantaged

Richmond, TX

Wanting to be a farmer might qualify you as mentally disadvantaged...

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Porkpal, Got that right! ;)

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)


Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

That was funny LOL

Anyhow Socially Disadvantage are women and many minorities(and handicapped people I think I can't remember all the descriptions). It is to get people into farming, who in the past have not traditionly been involved in farming.

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

ok so being a women ....with a 100% disabled Vet Husband.... with some land..... just what can I get to start farming and who do I talk to ?

southeast, NE

Here is the USDA FSA website. You would need to contact the service center that covers your county. My daughter is still waiting for approval of a loan. It is a long process. The stipulations we have come across so far: At least 3 years but no more than 10 years farming (Tax forms). However, having an ag degree or ag background may work. You need to have a purchase agreement in hand before they even start the process and there is an application fee. I'm thinking it was around $25. And once you have been approved, you still have to wait for the pot of money to be released from the National Office. They have several different terms of loans. We're working on total funding for 40 years. The interest rate is not set until the loan is approved. But the interest rate is almost always less then bank.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2010 5:05 PM

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

I was hoping it was more in the way of Grants .. way to old to take out a 40 year loan

southeast, NE

As mentioned above, contact USDA Rural Development. They have some grants for business, energy improvements, etc.

Loans do not have to be for 40 years. There are other terms. FSA has various programs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

    You may upload up to 5 images