Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

January 2010 - still celebrating our gardens

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

At the request of Happy we will continue celebrating our gardens.

Acadian Miss, a Louisiana iris.

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Arlene

That is stunning! I just love the coloring..

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, Pirl. That's a whole nother field of plants to study, or obsess over. What a beauty! How many years from plant to bloom? Is it in part shade?

Thanks, ladies. It came from a trade in 2008. It bloomed in 2009. The time on it was 4:38 PM and there is shade behind it from a hill of sod (now topped with asters) that was removed 18 years ago when we made the vegetable garden.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL! Thanks!

Moundridge, KS(Zone 6a)

How absolutely beautiful. It does look like an Acadian Miss with very ruffled, frilly petticoats.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My favorite spot for today

Thumbnail by ge1836
Athens, PA

Jo Ann

It is beautiful. It looks so serene. Dont' you just love heuchera and tiarellas?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That was not in the plan but I also love happy accidents.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL ge, I have a very similar combo. The Bronze Heuchera, Beacon Silver Lamium, Tiarella and a Dwarf Goat's Beard.
Here is one of my fav's Just love how this tall purple columbine pops up in front of the pink azalea.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I must have planted 2dozen columbines last year.
More Black Barlow
Clementine Purple
Clementine Blue
Clementine red
Lime Sorbet'
Mix of some sort from Bluestone. each of these catagories had at least 3 plants each.

Beautiful, ge.

Holly - that's great. It's such fun when plants surprise us, isn't it?

We loved the columbine mixed with the iris but it just became too dense here. There really are paths going through the area but the paths had wood chips, which were a guarantee the columbines would seed more so we did over the area.

There is also creeping phlox, daylilies, lily of the valley, coreopsis and more in the photo.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Very nice Pirl

Thanks, Jo Ann. It's just a memory now but each plant did get a new home in our gardens.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a busy spring comming up.
Sooooo many never tried befor activities.
Lilies in pots in the garage(it must be 20*) in there.
Hundreds of DL's with noid's except many notes and pictures.All planted in 3 gardens.Hope every one blooms,I'll be obcessing about that until July.
Direct sowed Poppies,Lychenes and Larkspur ,I'll be haunting those spots to see if they germinated.
160 LIly bulbs to keep sprayed.
It will be a busy year, hope I am alive by then, its so cold in the house at night.
We turn the furnace down, I measured the temp last night .
It was 52* in my bedroom. 2 comforters,fleece PJ's and a cat. I was plenty warm.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Wow pirl that Acadian Miss iris is a stunner!
(Is it Acadian or Arcadian? My spellchecker flagged it.)

Just adding a fun bloom, taken at San Francisco Botanical Gardens in Nov.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just checked that website.
I think I'm in love.

Oh nice, I think Acadian Miss is the prettiest one on that page although I like Cajun Sunrise too. You can tell what colors appeal to me.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sue, I'm with you on the Acadian Sunrise. I also loved Voodoo Magic!

This message was edited Jan 5, 2010 1:58 PM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

GE, You were speaking of wanting some shorter lilies. This tiny little Oriental was planted last fall and is around 10" tall. It is called Saltarello.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

GE, your Heucherea/ Tiarella combo is very nice. Is that Peach Flambe or Peach Melba?

This is one of my favorite Heuchera/ Tiarella combos.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its PeachMelba
The Lily is cute.

Cajun Sunrise coming up, Sue.

Sweet lily, stormy. Who does the great edging around the heuchera bed? It's grand. I like how they go together, too.

Thumbnail by pirl
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Ge. I'm glad that tiny lily is upfacing! Although another one of them seems to have outfacing blooms.

Holly, when you posted that photo of that beautiful Columbine in MA this spring, you sent me on a quest to buy some Blue Columbine. I ended up getting "Colorado Blue".

Pirl, Your Columbine collection is beautiful and looks very good with those Iris.

This was one of my favorites of the newer Columbines that bloomed for me this year. It is Songbird Cardinal.

Thumbnail by stormyla

Thanks.

Love the colors on that Columbine!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Pirl. That Iris is very beautiful. I love Iris in those warm colors.

I had a friend help me with that edging. It was a project long in the making. It took 3 years for me to dig all of those rocks out of the beds. The edging is a line over 700' long. It goes down one whole side, across the back and a third of the way up the second side of the property. There's weed barrier under it and they are secured in about 6 inches of Quickrete. It finally got finished last fall and surprisingly, there was very little heaving after the winter. There is one small section on one of the ends, that I have still not been able to completely eliminate the grass and Creeping Charlie. I gave it another good attempt this past fall, so we will see how it is this spring.

This side is the problem area for the Creeping Charlie and around the corner in front of that Apple Tree, I had to remove 15' of Sedum that had grass growing up through it. It was a shame, it was a nice red Sedum that stayed ever red.

Thumbnail by stormyla

That is one gorgeous and glorious springtime photo! The edging boggles my mind - such dedication! It's truly lovely and you should sit back and stare at the photo to view a 700' accomplishment.

Do you recall the name of the sedum, just in case I have it?

Cajun Sunrise is a stunner too! Yum!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you, Pirl. It is amazing how much better it looks with those rocks for edging. That's one job I'm glad is behind me. Thank you, but I don't recall the name of the Sedum and have already replaced it with other plants.

Edging is a very difficult thing to accomplish. I edged my beds around the house and the trees in front of the house and along the sidewalk with professional quality, expensive steel edging. I don't think it looks as nice as the rocks. I've had some Creeping Charlie go over or under it and it had a lot of winter heaving.

Here's the steel edging with a 6" rubber mulch mowing strip. To me, it always looks messy. The rocks look better.

Thumbnail by stormyla

Thanks, Sue.

Although it was expensive I feel as you do and prefer your stone edging. Thanks for saving me from the steel edging, which was what I was about to do this spring.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

My pleasure, Pirl. LOL

Athens, PA

Such pretty pictures.

I like the Cajun Sunrise too.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormy, I just love that shot. You amaze me. Holly

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, Holly I amaze myself at how much my body aches these days after a day of gardening. I'm definitely with you on wanting a 30 yr old body again. Heck, I'd even take 40.

This is my favorite sunset type colored Iris. I have to find the name for it as someone has asked me for some of it to make crosses with. It is a rebloomer and is very floriferous.

Thumbnail by stormyla

Oh, that is very purdy!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I thought you would like that, Sue. This "Speaking Freely" is another one of my favorites in the sunny colors.

Thumbnail by stormyla

Oh yes, love it, sunshiny warm colors, that's my thing!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh my - the nameless one is fabulous.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

WOW that is beautiful Stormy. I expect to get more iris when we get more of the backyard work done.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.