New Around the Barn #4

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Time for a new one! :) Things are chilly yet productive around here.

I have updated my blog, and, after some careful consideration, I've set a few 2010 goals. They're not high stretcher goals, but reachable, I think. Timing, location, and proximity of show locations may limit my goals, as will general cost along with equine health and wellness.

But without further adieu, here they are!

Learn to ride a good sitting trot - Ransom.

Compete Ransom Training Level 1 & 2 with two scores 67% or better.

Compete Ransom Training Level 3 & 4 with at least one score over 60%.

Compete Ransom Hunter over Fences 2' with a clear round at a schooling show.

Determine a "Career Path" for Romeo & stick with it.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I should add - those dressage scores will be at schooling shows. I don't intend on paying recognized show fees just yet. I want to get good at the schooling environment before I cough up recognized show fees (and acquire all the assorted perfection-attire required at a recognized event).

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Cajun - You said you need batteries and candles.
Is the mail still coming? Can any of us buy you a bundle & send them along?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Wow.. ya'lls quiet.
I got good news today... I am still absorbing, it feels a little unreal.

Check my blog for details.
http://hunterintraining.blogspot.com

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

That's a great idea Angel!! Cajun, if you need more of any of your supplies just let us know and we can all chip in and send you some.

Great news on the show!! Maybe you will get a major breakthru in your training. :~)

South Hamilton, MA

Riding with other people for the 'shoot' should keep your mind where you are going as well.

Cajin--I will have to see how many red taper type candles I have--too many I think & could split them with you. when i was just needing 2 I had to buy the box.

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

Cajun, sending you warming thoughts from the frozen north..... tuck in and take care!

AngelSong, such exciting news! Congratulations! Please keep us posted on progress!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We are going to a different town today to get feed. They didn't have the snow we had so they may still have things in stock. I'll let you know what I am able to find. Thanks so much for thinking of us. Please keep me in your prayers. i still have to climb the hill everyday to take care of the chickens and goats. I have to sit and slide down. Not fun but it beats falling down.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Use a trash bag & turn it into an adventure! :) whee... sled riding!!!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Take care, Cajun. We want you safe and sound!

Or heck a sled itself. lol. Better than sliding on your clothes. Just be careful!! :~)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

If the hill was straight down it could be fun. But nothing in my life is that easy. It curves halfway down and drops off over the hill. We got another lantern and may get another tomorrow. They are better than candles so we are good on that front. Bad news is more snow on the way tomorrow. Wet, heavy snow. 6-8". Temps near 0. Praying the power does not go out. Got the laundry and dishes done up. Beans cooking. Thanks so much for the offers of care packages. You guys are too kind. We are pretty fixed right now. Hope to be able to get a few more "D" batteries. No luck with that so far. Five eggs again today!

South Hamilton, MA

Bless your chickens. Is your area usually more snowy than your old town? Or is it just this yr. How are the horses doing? We are ahead of the game as far as snow count. I should say ahead of a 'normal' winter. DH did a walkabout to check on tracks & found that the dear had had a conference west of our iris beds--under the snow. Here's hoping that they were short on food here & will go else where.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

The locals say this is an extra ordinary winter. You knew it would be as soon as WE moved to town. LOL

My Mom is sending me a food processor and she put in a dozen "D" batteries. She is so thoughtful.

The horses are all blanketed and back on the tie line. The snow started a few hours ago and it's a wet snow so I'm afraid it will pull down my fence. And if we lose power they will walk through it. On the line, they are protected from the wind so they are happy.

Went up the hill 3 times today and only fell once. Picked up 4 eggs. Likely got the fifth one after my third trip. The dogs will get it tomorrow after it freezes. :(

South Hamilton, MA

We are all hoping everyone is safe, coast to coast.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We made the night very well. Got about 3 inches of snow. It has stopped for now but DH tells me we are supposed to get 6 more inches today. It's not wet like before Christmas so it's not so bad. Horses are fine. Gotta get out and check the rest of the critters. I'm gonna eat me a good breakfast before I bundle up and face the elements. It's waaaay cold out there. I so hope the hill is easier to climb today. I worked on it with the garden rake yesterday and roughed it up. I could walk up and down it last night before the snow started. Picked up 4 eggs yesterday. The plows were out all night scraping and salting so driving won't be a problem on the main road. The road to the barn is a different story. We borrow a 4 wheeler from a friend to make that trip. We were so blessed with barn we had before we moved. The pump house was in the barn so the water never froze. We had electricity and everybody was warm and dry. I really miss that for them. We are doing the best we can and praying it will continue to be enough until we can do better. Please say a prayer for us. Have to go down the hill at the barn to get water from the creek. It's quite a climb but it has footholds frozen in it where the horses go up and down. I won't fall but I may twist an ankle. LOL

We got another 5 inches the other day on top of what we already have. Several roads around here are closed including one that we use to get to the interstate. It has drifts over 5 feet high.

My grandma's road is closed in one spot and my dad almost got stuck there but saw all the vehicles stuck in drifts so backed down to another house. He then got stuck in a drift and my 4WD made a funny noise. He went and dug my truck out and managed to get out but the 4WD quit working and he almost got stuck again. lol. He made it to another highway we use just up the road from my grandma's road, turned on there then found a car stuck in a drift in the road so he turned around and took a different route home.

We have another rural highway that is closed due to drifts and last night my county made the news for having the worst roads in the region because we are so rural and have drifts higher than the plow drivers can plow.

And on top of all that like I mentioned earlier my 4WD went out today. LOL. We're hoping that my right hub just went bad but we aren't sure yet. If it is then it will be easy to replace and I already have an extra hub from when I bought a set last year for the other one. We will know more tomorrow when we take my truck into a shop owned by a friend of ours and check it out. Our barn is unreachable due to the snow drifts. LOL. Built a barn just for this purpose and we can't get to it!! LOL

Hope everyone is managing to get around ok and staying warm. We are supposed to get down to -10 tonight which will be a record low for us.

South Hamilton, MA

Hope that your snow is over for awhile pepper & melting begins. However I see that the temp will stay cold, ours isn't supposed to be higher than 20, but no new snow.

We start melting next week but refreeze at night. So our snow will become ice.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Didn't snow here today. The day wasn't too bad just REALLY cold! A few flurries now. I think I will sleep better tonight. I worry too much about things I can't change. But worrying is something I can't seem to change either. LOL I think I may slide down the driveway tomorrow just for fun. We'll see. Pep, do you guys have that kinda snow every winter? Sounds miserable.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

It is 11 degrees out side! I bet I lose some of my roses...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It was 0 this morning but it has warmed up a few degrees. Got the work done and tried sliding down the driveway but it didn't work so well. Oh well, it was fun to try. It was a nice diversion for the horses. They enjoyed the entertainment. I think I heard them snickering at me and Shaq called me a nut. He should talk. LOL

LOL!! Too bad the sliding didn't work. We don't normally get this much snow around here. We haven't had this much snow on the ground at once since the 80s. We haven't had the low temps like this either for as long as I can remember. Ususally we get one or two below zero days then it shoots back up. But I'm enjoying it for the most part. I'm trying to be careful so I don't get snowblinded. The sun comes off and glares off the snow so I have to turn my head a bit and half close my eyes. Not so bright then.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

DH was wearing his shades today. Looked like Joe Cool. LOL

This global warming is gonna freeze me to death. :)

My sunglasses stay in the truck because they are prescription. They stay in there then nothing happens to them or my glasses. lol. I'm hard on them.

South Hamilton, MA

With our ft. of snow we can still get glare. Cold temps are going to preclude melting.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

19 the past two mornings. everybody is bundled up & i am feeding warm water am & pm.
back is sore from the lifting. but tis almost over. soon will be warm and normal again.
cold kills bugs. must keep telling myself that

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

2 degrees here and snowing again.

South Hamilton, MA

And chickens still laying? Good for them. Tell Shaq to mind his manners :)

Richmond, TX

My chickens ARE still laying, I just have to be quick or they freeze. That's the bright side - helps balance the fact that the pipes around the barn are frozen and some burst despite my efforts at insulation.

South Hamilton, MA

Sorry about the pipe situation.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Despite the cold here...yesterday a flea hopped on me from the cat...I was amazed, and I am not buying Advantage on ebay, ever again.

Richmond, TX

Stupid flea; it's much warmer under all that car fur than on any person!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Sorry about your pipes. That is a pain in the hinder parts for sure. Mine are all under the house where the heating unit keeps them warm. The hoses in the yard are frozen and the little nub spigots are frozen. They are not supposed to freeze but it's been real cold for a real long time. My chickens are laying. Picked up 4 eggs yesterday. Only had one frozen so far. It stayed in the nest all night. Shaq ripped his new blanket to shreds. He bites at it. What kind of blanket can withstand teeth? Is there any?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

SSTack.Com makes some pretty awesome ones, and I think puts some guarantees no a few.. I think.

Finally thawing out here. The boys are none to impressed with this weather. They say we live too far south for this teen-temp nonsense, and I concur.

South Hamilton, MA

Sounds like Shaq is bored. Perhaps the blanket irritates him. Can he grow his own heavy coat? Don't know how TWH coats grow. Our horses, Morgan, Dartmoor & shetland grew their own very heavy coats, but were not ridden during the winter so it didn't matter. Fun shedding them out, could have filled cushions. We had an outside water pipe, buried 3' underground with a heat tape on the above ground hydrant. Sometimes it froze & water had to be carried from the house. I think one winter the tobaggan was left in the barn for sliding the buckets along. During this very cold winter, I'm glad we don't have any outside animals. Only have to worry about the car starting & so far, so good. I'm sure pipes in MO don't usually go through such cold conditions.Best of luck with that.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks AS. I will look them up.

Iris, he could well be bored. They are just standing on the tie line day and night. This weather won't allow anything else. He doesn't have as thick a coat as some of the others. I don't know why that is. I have never seen him shiver. Maybe horses are like people and some don't feel the cold as much as others. Godiva doesn't get a heavy winter coat either. Firefly, Gypsy, Glory and Coffee have thick coats. Tug's is not so thick and Max looks like a bear. LOL Ben looks more like a buffalo.

South Hamilton, MA

I doubt if any research has been done on thinkness of coats of different breed, or breed crosses. Of course the Shetland ponies originated from pretty far north, Arabians? Would need blankets perhaps.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Arabs don't have much of a coat.

Alice turns into a wooly mammoth with out the blanket! SSTack is very good, I have 2 blankets from there.

Richmond, TX

Dover used to make a turnout blanket that they guaranteed for two years. I haven't seen it advertised recently, maybe they had to replace too many of them. The one we had out lived its blanket-eating owner.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images