Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Growing Palms from Seeds: Soils, Containers, Heat and Humidity: Growing palms part 2??

Communities > Forums > Article: Growing Palms from Seeds: Soils, Containers, Heat and Humidity
bookmark
Forum: Article: Growing Palms from Seeds: Soils, Containers, Heat and HumidityReplies: 1, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
otterear
Seattle, WA

January 5, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7431028

I re read Geoff's article about growing palms from seeds..but am waiting for part 2???? This article was like a teaser.I need to know the next steps!! I had inherited about 50 seedlings last summer and have placed them in their individual 4 inch pots. I have them in a greenhouse with temps at 62 degrees, plus overhead lighting from dusk to dawn. Most of the seedlings have 3 or 4 'leaves' ( from 1 or 2 leafs this summer) So there was 'progress'...but nothing else has happen...so whats the next step? waiting? I mist them on sunny mornings which if i am lucky its once a week.. I water sparingly because I don't want to 'overwater'... rotiness, more gnats( got it under control)
Would heating the plants from underneath help?
what kind of food should Iintroduce?
or should I wait til it warms up temp wise ? I can't raise the temp any higher.This is as good as it gets.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2010
3:42 AM

Post #7433200

seems pretty cool for a greenhouse, but probably OK. Heating from underneath would help speed things up, but you have to be careful not to overheat (sensitive root tips down there). You can fertilize sparingly with Miracle Gro or some water-based fertilizer meant for palms... but sparingly.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Growing Palms from Seeds: Soils, Containers, Heat and Humidity Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing palms from seeds tabby7 4 Dec 29, 2009 5:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America