Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: One of my fish swam up to me today!

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 18, Views: 138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2010
10:22 PM

Post #7435998

If it's not one thing it's always another . . . I keep having fuses blow because of my de-icer. I bought a new one two days ago and it shifted during the night and ended up burning through the power cord. I went out there today to check on it (the hole was smaller then he night before) and found it tripped off because of the burnt cord. As I was removing it, I looked down into the hole and saw one of my newer fish from this past summer. Not the prettiest but the longest set of fins I ever saw. This fish happened to look up at me and paused and slowly swam up to the hole-staying about 6 inches below the surface, eyes on me the whole time. I went inside to get a picture but when I came back I couldn't see any fish at all. It was sweet to see the fish!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2010
11:44 PM

Post #7436255

Linda

Have you checked your GFI unit? Are your fuses set up so that only your pond deicers are on them? I know that we used to blow fuses until we put the only deicers on the one fuse.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2010
2:19 AM

Post #7436684

I had issues with these outlets all summer. See, I wanted to get more space on our electric board but my handy man thought he was doing me a favor by saving me money and not adding this expensive panel. In the end it is driving me nuts! I plan to have the new electrics panel installed and break out some of these outlets to lessen their load.

Freaky about that fish wasn't it Carolyn? I never thought it would swim up so close to me. The fish looked nice and plump and healthy.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2010
3:19 AM

Post #7436861

Linda

Mine are pretty much staying towards the bottom of the pond. Every once in a while I will see one swim by slowly, but still towards the lower 3rd of the pond. I am always glad when I do see them, then I know they are ok.

Our holes in the ice have gotten smaller as well. I think it is because it is so much colder than it was. I like it though when I see the steam coming out of the water into the air - it reminds me of hot springs...

Good luck with the power - that can be very frustrating...
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7445932

I can barely see the koi today. The water has clouded with algae. I just see vague colors moving about slightly. I have a large open area from the deicer - so far. The water temp is 39.9 this am. I'm under powered in the back yard. It can be a challenge. We are also thinking of bringing in a bigger fuse box and more power supply in the panel. Two years ago I blew a fuse every time I plugged the deicer in. We eliminated or turned off everything running from that line and it still blew. We checked the deicer on another circuit and it worked fine. We were getting really worried about the power line run underground to the back yard. It turns out it was a faulty GFI. Once we put in a new GFI everything was OK. But still, I have to be careful not to overload any of the outdoor circuits. Maybe this spring we'll finally tackle the problem. $$$$!!!!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2010
10:17 PM

Post #7449624

that is weird that a fish would come out to you at this time of the 'weather'
It was -1 F on my temp gauge this morning.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
1:53 AM

Post #7450158

Ohhhhhhhhhh. Sorry about that temp thing FrillyLily. Somehow here up against Lake Erie we've been spared the nasty cold hitting other parts of the country. It got down to 5 F this morning.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7455318

All my fish were out yesterday. Nice to greet them all. Strange to see them this time of year.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7455322

Also saw this small frog on Sunday afternoon. He hung out on this pot for hours.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2010
2:30 AM

Post #7457057

I'm curious as to what the water temp is in my ponds. My thermometer broke, so I'm not really sure. I know tonight on the news they said the beach water temp was 49. My fish are just sitting on the bottom, so as long as they're alive, I'm happy. Oddly, they are saying the air temps will be back to the 70's by the end of the week. This Florida freeze has literally killed everything in this part of the state, so as long as my fish are still alive, I guess it's not all a loss.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #7457343

Oh Dear! Koi tolerate cold water pretty well, as I'm sure you already know. I think they'll be fine. I'm really sorry to hear that the freeze has been so destructive to the vegetation. Its very, very likely that a lot of the freeze damaged plants will come back from the roots. There could be trouble though with woody plants if the sap froze in the trunks. Some trees might look OK at first then develop frost cracks in the coming months. The total damage wont be known for while yet.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7458304

Well sadly, we'll all be paying $7 for a glass of orange juice this upcoming year. The strawberry crops are ruined, and one town over is the Fern capital of the world. This time of year is the most important time of year. Whatever they sell the world for Valentine's Day covers their costs for the rest of the year. They can live through an occassional frost with frost covers, watering, and field heaters, but night after night hard freezes really did them in.
My ponds are very shallow, simply because I've never really had to worry about hard freezes before. So far I haven't seen anyone floating, so I'll keep hoping for the best!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7458654

well we won't all be paying $7 for OJ because I won't pay that!
I'll simply do without.
maybe apple juice next year!

snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #7459071

I know this is probably not the best time to say this but there are one or two advantages to an otherwise ugly freeze. You won't have nearly as many insect pests for the coming growing season. And you'll find out the true tolerance of some of the things you grow. There will be some surprises. An article in the local paper here talked about the losses to the Florida tropical fish farms. I never thought this could ever happen, guppies being what they are, but there is actually now a shortage of them.

As for $7 for a glass of OJ. Ouch. I don't know if I will pay that much either. I don't want to see Florida growers suffer any more than they already are, but Geez O Peets, I can't bail them out glass by glass. Time for me to get to the store and put some frozen concentrate in the freezer.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2010
11:13 PM

Post #7459346

Great idea!
I think I will too!

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7459517

I live here and I'm doing the same! :)
My husband is busy dealing with sea turtles and manatees, they are struggling to survive. By the end of the week, the weather should be warmer. Don't expect ferns in your floral arrangements this year!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #7460633

I won't pay $7 for a glass of oj either. It will not be just the orange juice that will go up, it will be anything that grows in Florida. I use a lot of lemons, all the time...

Mary - Yay to your husband for helping out with the sea turtles and the manatees. I love both of those wonderful creatures and if I lived down there, I would be doing the same thing!
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2010
11:52 PM

Post #7462583

How do you help the sea turtles and manatees? Sounds interesting to a Northern girl . . .
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2010
2:49 AM

Post #7477939

Most of the manatees thusfar are doing well, one small guy wasn't doing overly good, must have gotten separated from it's mother. In rehab now. Thousands of sea turtles, hoping half will recover and be able to return to their natural enviroment within a year (some can be sooner)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America