Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: Show us your windchimes

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 15, Views: 248
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2010
2:26 AM

Post #7436694

I love windchimes. I remember a scene in the 80s movie Body Heat where Kathleen Turner is standing in the porch enjoying her wind chimes collection. I made a mental note of creating my own collection, but I am way behind with only two.

Here is number one. A gynormous version, but hey, I'm in TX and everything is big here. Hubby made it using empty acetylene canisters. He took them somewhere to have them musically tuned and then put them together. They sound glorious, much like Cathedral bells. Problem is: they are extremely loud. Our nearest neighbor lives about 5 miles away and on windy days it chimes like crazy. Neighbor doesn't mind it too much, except when we have windy nights and they chime incessantly, not allowing for a restful sleep. So, we took the clapper off and only put it back when we're in town.

PS: The chimes are at our 2nd property located in East TX country.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2010 8:38 PM

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2010
2:31 AM

Post #7436710

here is our 2nd wind chimes, old and ratty. I made it for my DH years ago and painted it in John Deere colors. Even found a little JD truck to use as clapper. Again, this is in windy East TX and the poor thing has seen better days. But hubby won't let me get rid of it b/c it was a present from me. He wouldn't like me telling y'all he's a sentimental sweetie, but he is...

Please show us your chimes.

Thumbnail by vossner

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2010
11:36 PM

Post #7439640

I have a cast bell from Paolo Soliaeri.(sp) Its at the top of the middle of this pic.

Thumbnail by ge1836

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7442434

here's another chime shown in the upper right corner. I'd forgotten about it. Ignore the beaten p. selloum.

Thumbnail by vossner

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7442642

I love the big Zen ones for gardens. There was a craftsman in California who made them in the 80's Cant remember his name.Great works.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7448453

are you talking about homemade chimes only? I have a sunroom with rods across the windows filled with chimes. DH doesn't like them outside, we live in a suburb and the neighbors are rightthere, doesn't want to disturb them.

Everyone says I'm hard to buy for. Are you kidding? I love gardening and wind chimes, I tell them.

I like your homemade chimes, Vossner.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7448478

Vossner, Those big chimes are awesome. What a great, Texas sized idea!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7448481

smiley all kind of windchimes welcome. Pls post away.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7448491

I'll have fun taking some pictures! The ones I do have were of the plants in the sunroom, can't really see any windchimes too well.

I have one in the dining room ~ one of the huge ones that are tuned. I'll have to read up on that one, forgot the details.

Will get the camera out then. Hopefully I can take a steady shot, the sunroom isn't heated, and I'm up in NY, it's cold here!
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7470407

I took some pictures, they're not the greatest, but here is my favorite "international" windchime. My BIL & SIL brought it back from Germany when they were visiting my niece.

Thumbnail by smileymom343

smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7470414

It looks like I don't have as many as I thought. Then it dawned on me that we put this rod up in the small east-facing window, so I definitely need some more!

This is my east-facing window of my sunroom.

edit: the small one with the butterflys they brought from CA, and the orange one on the right, you can't see the hangings but they have smiley faces on them (my frined made it for me)

This message was edited Jan 17, 2010 2:11 PM

smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7470419

And here is the west window:

smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7470424

This is the big one in the dining room that is tuned. I have yet to find the tag, I know I have it somewhere, to see who made it and how it is tuned.

Sorry for the bad picture, I know it's blurry.

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #7471251

I was intrigued by the thought of "tuned windchimes" so I looked it up! Too cool...gotta do this.
http://www.creativemanuals.com/home/

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7472857

smiley, what a nice collection.

juney, initially DH considered doing it himself, but whoever did our tuning was reasonable. Since our canisters were all the same diameter, he was going to measure the length of tubes in one of our small, store-bought chimes and cut the cylinders relative to those measurements. But the store-bought chimes had 5 tubes and we have 3 cylinders so we decided to go with the tuning guy. (there is a GUY for everything, lol)

I remember him saying that when he told the tuning guy about this idea, he said that would be a good way to do but w/o proper tools measurements could be off and hence, tune would be off.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #7474327

There IS a guy for everything!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America