Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Woodworking: Ideas help with building a coffee table....

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 1, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 7, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7437847

I don't usually hang out on this forum, but my oldest son is in college and is in an on campus apartment. His former roommate who had almost all the furniture has graduated and taken everything with him! I am needing to furnish an apartment on a small budget. My son had enough money to purchase a decent sofa and a tv - priorities in his order... but now he wants end tables and a coffee table but has a DEFINITIVE idea of what he wants! :-)

He is a wanting a flat wooden top - preferably hardwood - with legs all the way out to the corners and a shelf underneath for magazines, etc. Hard to describe by written word, but I need a source for square legs (they can be tapered but don't have to be) and I also need some input on what I might can use for the tops. He is not wanting molding around the edge so that pretty much eliminates a hardwood plywood... I am wondering about purchasing hardwood flooring and ripping each side that would be an "edge" and gluing the hardwood flooring strips together to form a solid top. Anyone have any experience with this?? Any other suggestions that might work better??

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions as I am on a tight budget and an even tighter time line!!

We are currently in the process of sanding down a table top and seats on the matching chairs - we will stain or clear seal the hardwood tops and then paint the rest of the legs, etc black to resemble some of the modern dining sets that you see in the stores. My Sister in law was kind enough to donate him a nice square oak dining table with 4 chairs - and it is just a matter of redoing it to change it from Shabby Chic to more masculine... :) Thanks for any help you can offer...

Also, if you have any ideas on how to add some inexpensive additional seating to the living area that would be great as well.

Genna
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7445289

Here's something that might fit your needs. It's still a project in work,and it doesn't have lower shelf. It was a present for my wife. I can supply construction details if you like.

Thumbnail by raisedbedbob
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America