Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: Winter Sowing - 2010 .... a sowing we will go....

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 259, Views: 2,284
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #7439498

Moving on to a new thread...

Post how you have been doing.

Here is my first bunch, already in the snow.
13 milk jugs.

Smooth Aster, BlueBird
NY Aster, Woods Purple
Hardy Algeratum
Aclaea Simplex, "Elstead"
NY Aster, "Professor Kippenburg"
Monarda, Lemon Balm
M. bradburiana, Horsemint
M. didyma "Panorama Mix"
Blue Delphinium
Erinus alpinus, Alpine Liverwort
Joe Pye, Gateway
NoID Bee Balm
M. Bee Balm, Marshalls Delight

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1065142/

This message was edited Jan 7, 2010 4:54 PM

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2010
11:07 PM

Post #7439532

They look good there snuggled in the snow Terese.

I haven't started yet. This will be year 5 for me.

Karen

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2010
11:15 PM

Post #7439569

So, how're ya'll keeping track of what's in each jug? I've seen numbers on jugs in some'a the posts. Are ya'll doing a corresponding list?

Just trying to stay OUTTA trouble...
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2010
11:23 PM

Post #7439599

Since you all have been WSing for a while, I'm curious about all the flower you sow. Do you extend your gardens? What do you do with all the flowers?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2010
11:36 PM

Post #7439643

I guess I should have taken more photos... but i have a notebook where everything is written down... for example...

1) Smooth Aster, BlueBird. [wind] who i got the seeds from, amount of seeds [ALL] and surface sow.

just notes -- it all gets entered into my spreadsheet when i get a chance [it's already updated]

I've started putting in a plastic plant tag... it has the container # and what the seed it.

I just started doign the plant tags... did a few last year. Found it was very helpful when things started germinating. I can just look at the tag. Before i'd look at the number then have to look it up. I rarely write the name of the seed on the container... don't know why, i've just never done it that way... plus, by May, most of the lids are cut off and recycled.

I do put the container number on both top and below the cut line.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2010
11:41 PM

Post #7439653

I label the outside of the jug and put a label on the inside as well. I use old mini blinds cut up and write on them with a plain #2 pencil.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #7439657

here is what the WS page of my spreadsheet looks like...

I will add a second "Comment" column for comment when things get planted out.
Some times i enter where they were put, if they bloomed, how they did... great or died, eaten by critters, etc.

Thumbnail by tcs1366

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2010
12:03 AM

Post #7439716

OMGosh! That's wayy too detailed for me! LOL I just do one with name of seed, date sown, date germinated (or when I notice the sprouts), and comments.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
12:15 AM

Post #7439755

I"m just a very detailed oriented person. my 'whole' spreadsheet put probably make your hair curl by all the info I have in it... But there are many times i need to reference back to something.. and there are even times the details are not there... I tend to slack off on things mid-season.

but in the excel "book" i have my seed list and my WS list. so 2 pages for each year.
Like i said.. i have a thing for details.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2010
12:21 AM

Post #7439767

My spreadsheets were pretty basic when I did them. (Didn't do one last year.) I just included basics like jug number, common name, botanical name, annual or perennial, date sown, date sprouted (never was good about recording that), HxWidth.

Anita always had a good one on her website, she included mine there too a couple of years. I can't remember the name of her website but it will come to me. Haven't seen Anita on here lately.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
12:22 AM

Post #7439771

Yes... she has a great site... http://lakehousecreations.com/winter_sowing.htm

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
12:25 AM

Post #7439783

OH... i just remembered, as i look at her site... it does not load well in FireFox... to get the real look at her site, you need to use IE.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2010
12:31 AM

Post #7439814

Yes, that's it. Where's Anita these days?

Karen
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
12:35 AM

Post #7439829

tcs, that is a wonderful site full of information that will help me decide when to start each kind of seed. Thank you so much.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2010
3:53 AM

Post #7440516

[quote]Since you all have been WSing for a while, I'm curious about all the flower you sow. Do you extend your gardens? What do you do with all the flowers?[/quote]
Ah Diamond, that's the dilemma. . . some of us extend our flower beds to contain the new WS seedlings, others of us pot up our extras for friends and plant sales, others just cram them in. I do all three! It helps if you either have a lot of room or like the look of a full flower /herb/veggie garden!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #7440554

Diamond... I some how missed that post...

My neighbor and I have been working on a "field" behind our home. it's technically State property, but it's land locked and they can't even access it without taking down a fence. [those highway ones]
I've been at it since the second summer here... 2003? I expand a little bit each year, clearing a little more weeds... I give some away - mostly to my neighbor. I have a summer place, it's an RV Park and i've taken on the project of working on the neglected flower beds throughout the park. I have a few friends up there that i'm growing some plants for, and i'll probably take some to our Upper Midwest Round Up in June... plus... I cram them in.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #7440607

tcs, you sound like the Johnny Appleseed of the plant kingdom. How fun and intersting. Do you have pictures?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #7440616

i have tons of pictures.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7440621

I would so love to see some of them, please. Something to encourage me on the WSing.
I can use all the ideas I can get.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
4:51 AM

Post #7440654

I know I just posted a few the other day... but now can't find the thread...

Many of my image are in the Cottage Garden forum, as that is where i spend a lot of time...

here are a few... scroll down to Nov 3rd...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1052728/
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7440733

Thank you Terese. I will check them out tomorrow morning. I can't keep my eyes open, time to go to bed.
Lynn
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7440788

Terese, you are the Queen. I humbly bow to you.
I bought some Sterlite containers today to try to "Corral" my jugs this year. I used cardboard boxes last year, but they just got so sloppy wet. I figured if my jugs were in containers, maybe they won't look so objectionable to DH. I am pooped, unloaded 1/2 a truckload of compost on one of my lasagna beds today. I am trying to cover the cardboard I have lining the driveway. New gardens to plant my WS babies this spring!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #7441208

I use DG journels

http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/bigred/83632/

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #7441230

those containers i showed yesterday... you can barely see them now. i had thought the snow was over... it had stopped, i went out and shoveled last night [I have this thing... it's a sickness really... but i absolutely HATE it when a car drives in my driveway if there is snow on it... I've actually had my kids in the street, waiting to pull in the drive, while i shovel a spot so they can pull in.]

anyhooo... i shoveled last night because Alex was still out, and i finally got to shovel wiht a car NOT in the driveway... i woke up at 4AM and snow everywhere... Probably another 3" ... this stuff was a big 'blowy' though... small drifts... when i have it at the back door AND the front door... i know it was blowing.

SO.. i told DH to teach Alex how to use the snow blower today. I generally shovel for the exercise... but the kid needs to know how to use it.

Has anyone ever sown Veronica Darwin's Blue?? I have a lot of seeds and chaff...I'm going to give it a whirl this year to see if i get anything. didnt wanna trade the seeds to find out they dont germinate.

OH and i had completely forgotten... DH is a pop drinker... sometime last year he switched to 2Ltr from cans, since it's cheaper... So, i've begun collecting them too... i only have 2 right now, but it's a start. We always let Buddy chew them up... great toy when you pop them in the freezer for a while.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #7441245

Red.. .can you add images to your journals. I have honestly never delved into them... though every year i say i will try.
Just can't seem to figure it out.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #7441320

I'm having to find pictures on line. Have some,just haven't posted them yet. Guess since today's it's 12 degrees out w/ only 29 for hi,it'd be a good day to get that done.

I haven't listed the dianthus,snaps,pansies and violas I did in Oct/Nov.yet. Need to go to GH to get info but as I said...12 degrees...I ain't going out there...LOL. GH isn't heated so I still call it WS.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7441405

>>12 degrees...I ain't going out there...LOL

I don't blame ya. when it's cold, i don't go out either... it's hard enough walking to the mail box at the end of the driveway.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7441689

I'm so ahppy to hear that you all look for place to plant flowers and give them away to friends and family. I have one stipulation, whomever I give plants to have to take care of them. And if they decide they don't want them, then they give them back to me. LoL So I can find a good home for them. I even post some plants on Craigs list for little or nothing. I'm helping with a garden at the Extension Office this year so, hopefully, some of my plants will find a home there.

I need to find out more about the lasagna gardening thing. Is this useful in starting new beds? Last year I tilled my entire patio area to start a new garden. I stll have problems with pop up grass. I'm wondering if I tilled a new site, added cardboard, wet it down, added compost, then planted flowers if that would hold the weed/grass out of my new beds? If that works, I can easily make room for all of my new seedlings. LoL

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7441698

I was going to work out in the sunroom today on my jugs, but it's 15 outside which means it's probably around freezing in the sunroom. I think I'm going to change my plans.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7441708

I grow extras just to use as trades at the North Texas spring RU of DG folks. It works out great for me and for them.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7441744

Diamond,
The beauty of lasagna gardening is that it is NO TILL gardening!

Just lay the cardboard OVER your site, border it in, and start layering your ingredients from there. The cardboard smothers off your grass...add enough organics and veggie peels and the worms will start churning up the ground below the cardboard, once it's broken down.

Let the wildlife do the tilling! (Basically, this is just like building a compost pile in place...)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7441952

http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm

http://organicgardening.about.com/od/startinganorganicgarden/a/lasagnagarden.htm

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7442190

TCS1366,
Great links! Thanks!
jjsgramma
Woodhull, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7442230

Happy Birthday Gymgirl!

I WS'd a couple of milk jugs yesterday and this morning my DH wanted to know why those jugs were in the snowbank.

Hope somehing grows he already thinks I'm crazy...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7442242

>>DH wanted to know why those jugs were in the snowbank.

mine was snow blowing the back patio... i noticed he "unearthed" them..i had to shove one of them back in the snow.

He knew I ws'ed yesterday, but i put them in a different spot from other years.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7442254

Thanks JJsgramma!
I chased flying, empty milkjugs all over the yard this morning! The wind was up and I had them prepped and sitting on the patio table. My DH keeps eyeing all the "junk" I bring home, so I couldn't just leave them strewn everywhere or they'd be in the dumpster when I got home!

I'M GONNA BE WSing MY BUTT OFF THIS WEEKEND!

. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! ^^_^^♪♫♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♪
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7442258

Oh we Texas and southern parts of Arkansas girls are a bunch of wimps when the weather dips below 50...LOL

Adding pix to my journel...bunch to go.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7442908

Happy Birthday GymGirl! I hope you are spoiled and pampered today. I'm so thrilled at the idea of lasagna gardening. How soon can you plant your flowers? Are you planting your flowers in the upper layers (above the cardboard)?
Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7442926

[quote="bigred"]

Adding pix to my journel...bunch to go.[/quote]

bigred, thanks for adding those pics! Lots of work but it is appreciated here for sure. Looks great!
mike

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7443046

I took a quick peek in the Organic forum... and this may be helpful for lasagna gardening.. the topic was 'no dig garden'
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/909930/

since our 'search' is down for a while... the best way to find something - say using google.. type in your search word, "lasagna gardening' and add Daves Garden... they it pulls up threads with in Daves. I do that all the time for plant files.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
9:50 PM

Post #7443111

here's one... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028801/

and i do believe Karen does the lasagna thing... think she's working today. I"m sure she will chime in when she gets here.
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7443124

I built a several lasagna beds last summer that I planted bulbs in and have several more in the works for my WS babies come Spring. I'm anxious to see how well things grow in them!
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2010
3:13 AM

Post #7444198

Last year, I planted about a week or two after putting down the cardboard and compost. The cardboard cuts easy, If there was still grass or weeds there, I just pulled them out when I cut the hole. That probably isn't the correct way, but it worked for me. I might add another layer of cardboard/compost this year in some of the places where the grass and weeds insist on coming back.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2010
3:23 AM

Post #7444227

We did raised beds last year that were enclosed and 18" high. We put down a layer of cardboard. Watered well, then put down a thick layer of leaves from our front yard. Again, watered well. Then we added our soil. It'll be interesting to see what those beds will be like when we turn the soil this spring.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #7444882

You're right Terese, I have "lasagna-ed" several areas and been very happy with the results. I've seen reports where people build the hump a foot or two high but I've never had enough organic material to do that. Mine have only been around 8"-10" deep but still worked very very well. The organic material rots pretty quickly so that it doesn't end up raised at all. This past fall we built 2 new small tomato beds with the method. My husband built 2 wood frames, each 4x8'. We covered the lawn with wet cardboard then topped with about 4" of purchased topsoil, bought as a dump truck full. I've never added soil before but this time I did want because I wanted it to end up as a raised bed. It was the usual nasty clay that is native here. That was covered with a couple of inches of homemade compost. Then layered a few inches of straw, wetting down each layer. Each week when my husband cut the grass we added fall leaves mixed with grass clippings, some coffee grounds, yard waste, whatever turned up. It would settle down (and possibly start breaking down) for a week and the next week when he cut the grass we'd add more stuff. I watered each layer well as I built it, a very important step. I finally covered it with bedsheets, kept spraying the top with the hose to maintain moisture until weather turned wintery.

I like to cover the hump with breathable fabric as in interbay mulch. Initially I used burlap, but after my !@#$%^ husband threw the burlap away, I've used bedsheets which seem to work fine, too. I'm hopeful for some really good tomatoes this year.

Karen
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2010
12:41 PM

Post #7444915

Thanks Mike. I still have quite a few to go but I'm getting there.
Still need to get out the GH to inventory the rest I WS but it's only 10 degrees out there now and not getting a whole lot warmer for the high...BUT...temps are suppose to be going back up and there's some 50's for next week...YAY!
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7445119

Boy, Karen, your new beds sound fabulous!
I extended my border-beds last fall (about 2.5 ft x 40 ft) with the lasagna method, starting with wet cardboard, then some purchased soil, then whatever homemade compost I had, then leaves, etc. But I never thought of using the old ripped burlap I had lying around as a mulch, and I threw it all away myself ! (#A%/!) Would it have broken down on its own over the winter?
Since my beds were extended out into my lawn area, I cut away the grass into about 12 in. squares and turned these upside down before laying down the cardboard.
Just to keep this on the topic of WS, this is for an area that I'm going to "cram" with WS seedlings next season. Which I haven't started doing yet; I've followed your practice for the last two WS seasons and waited till mid-Feb. to begin my jugs, sowing tender things even into April. We have a long cool Spring on the Cape (latest average frost date: May 23) and this seems to produce the best results.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #7445159

Hi Karen & folks: Since posting my question immediately above regarding the use of burlap in garden beds, I found a site that Karen recently posted on another thread (Soil and Composting forum). Here the Interbay Mulch system is explained in great detail. Sounds to me like a great process, and one based on the lasagna method, IMHO.
Sorry for hijacking the thread again, but this might help all us Wintersowers who need more or better beds for all those wonderful hardy seedlings we're going to have next season! GO WINTERSOWERS!!

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/soil/2000081841014638.html
Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7445190

[quote="bigred"]Thanks Mike. I still have quite a few to go but I'm getting there.
Still need to get out the GH to inventory the rest I WS but it's only 10 degrees out there now and not getting a whole lot warmer for the high...BUT...temps are suppose to be going back up and there's some 50's for next week...YAY![/quote]

I've got family out that way in Stone County and they say the same thing. lol
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7445235

I have a question for the seasoned WSers, how large should the drainage and vent holes be? The size of a straw or smaller? How fast should the water drain? For the ventilation on the 2 liter bottles or the milk jug I have only been leaving the lids off. For other containers, I'm curious how many holes are you all creating. Does anyone have pictures?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7445266

on Anitas site... she shows pics...
http://lakehousecreations.com/wintersowing_directions.htm

I dont make mine that big... in yrs past, i've sued a steak knife... Poke and twist.

This year i used the tip of a hot glue gun to melt holes... they are about the size of a small straw.

I do have one 2ltr bottle on top of my frig... I was going to cut it and do images.
for those... you cut it in half, then for the top portion, you cut "V" like cuts, and slide the top back over the bottom... tape it shut... then when it warms and you need ventilation, you can just slide the top up a bit for more air flow, but still leave it on until it's warm enough to completely remove it.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #7445303

On these Bob Evans containers, I have 14 drainage and vent holes. Each hole I twist the tip of the knife or drill bit. When I wet the medium I try to watch the drainage to make sure water seeps out.

Thumbnail by diamond9192002

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7445321

I like lots of drainage but I generally just poke thru with scissors or a steak knife and twist. They're probably about 1/4" in diameter or a little larger. I probably use about 8 or 10 holes per gallon jug. I also put one on the side, about an inch above the bottom.

Karen

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7445326

We make the holes about the size of the shaft of a standard size screwdriver. If you've got a Phillips head screwdriver, about that size. We do about 6-8 on the bottom of the jug and several around the top, in addition to leaving the lids off.

Here's the top (using a larger hole/drill bit)

Thumbnail by stephanietx

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7445330

Bottoms (using a smaller drill bit)

Thumbnail by stephanietx

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7445341

I checked the link. I didn't make my drainage holes nearly that big. LoL I hope my seeds will still have enough drainge. I probably ask the same questions, if so I apologize. I know its not an exact science, but every bit of info is helpful for me.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7445581

[quote]This year i used the tip of a hot glue gun to melt holes... they are about the size of a small straw.[/quote]
Tcs, I just got my first glue-gun. This sounds like a great idea. I generally wrestle my drainage holes into the bottom-sides of my jugs and bottles by twisting a craft knife violently, but I feel it's not the safest way to make those holes. (DH says he can't watch.) Quick, though.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7445606

Lea [lebug] told me about that. I used my kids gun. Just may have to get my own. but it worked pretty good.. .i always worried about stabbing myself using a knife.

Diamond... mine were nevr that big either. but i use more than 4 on the bottoms... and dont put them up the side, Karen mentioned that too... BUT -- I have had issues with rotting seeds and moss/mold. take that for what its worth. :-)

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 9, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7445648

I use a soldering iron to put holes in the bottom of plastic pots...this is only my second year WS'ing, but I did three boxes of containers in probably half an hour. You get the stinky, plasticky melting smell, but it dissipates quickly.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7445846

Ok I should have a hot glue gun around here some place. I think that is much safer, too. Have you all had any success with containers other than the gallon jugs or 2 liter bottles? I'm planning to put more seeds out today. Unfortuna(ely, I have more containers from fast food restaurants than I do milk jugs. LoL

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7446075

You can use all those things.
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7446371

My hot glue gun must not be hot enough. It wont melt the 2 liters for me. Oh well, continuing with the big drill bit. LOL

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7446396

I did have to really push with some of the thicker spots.

Dh bought me [ errrrr us,] a new one today. Looks more heavy duty than my kid's gun.

I'll try it in the 2Ltr bottle i have to see how that works.

The milk jugs have thinner spots, where the 'seams' are.. that is a bit thicker and tougher to get thru.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #7446411

"Dh bought me [ errrrr us,] a new one today. Looks more heavy duty than my kid's gun".
Sounds like Terese is shooting them. You guys really are over the edge.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2010
10:21 PM

Post #7446658

I did find that this glue gun did not melt a 2 Ltr container.
it did melt the 'foam board' i was working with.

but i found that i had already poked, with a knife, holes in the bottom of said container.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2010
2:32 AM

Post #7447425

Um, I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more holes in the tops and bottoms than any of those pics.

I use a hot phillips screwdriver. Heat it on the electric burner. Goes very fast if you alternate between two screwdrivers. Just don't breathe in while the plastic's smoking, and turn on the stove blower...

I think I have an average of 18-20 holes in the top AND the bottoms. I have a row of holes around the lowest point on the sides, too. LOTS of drainage...
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2010
3:53 AM

Post #7447647

I used DH's soldering gun for making the holes last year. The heated screwdrivers sounds like a good idea.
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7451485

Ok folks, did anyone W/S anything this weekend?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7451668

I did! I did!

I'm up to #26 jugs.

Between 1/9-1/111/10 I've sown seeds for:
Emerald Giant Bell Peppers
King of the North Bell Peppers
Wando Peas
Southern Giant Mustard Greens

Tomatoes:
Atkins
Aunt Ruby's Green
Black Krim
Cherokee Purple
Costoluto Genovese
The Dutchman
Eva Purple
Kellogg's Breakfast
Momotaro
Pruden's Purple
Sioux
Russian Rose

This message was edited Jan 11, 2010 11:56 AM

This message was edited Jan 11, 2010 12:01 PM
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7451906

Unfortunately, I'm lagging as far as my tomatoes go. My order is still in transit but worse, some of my tomato seeds did not ship (pressumably because they were out of stock.) My fault for ordering on Christmas Eve, LOL. I hope to sow more peppers in the next coupla days, though.

Anyway, my lettuce is looking good so I'm happy. I'll have to take pics of my little WSing operation at some point. It's such a rag-tag group of containers, though, pretty funny.

p.s. happy belated B-day Linda. Hope you had a good one!!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7452104

Hey, John!
I was busy saving a life on the evening of my B'day!

Praise God, I was home at the kitchen table when my (NOW) 94-yr-old Aunt Beatrix (we're born on the same day!) had a heart attack and passed out while sitting quietly at the table with me. Then everything in her stomach came up while she was still passed out! Thank God, she didn't choke to death or die from the heart attack.

I thought at first she was just snoozing, but then I noticed too many differences to this snoozing. She's usually what I call a "Church Snoozer." Doze off then startle yourself awake -- then look around to see who saw you fall asleep!

But she wasn't startling herself awake and, at one point, her head gently bobbed back and forth 5 times against her chair and I thought, "she's having a seizure." But she still didn't wake up. When her hand fell outta her lap and she still didn't wake up, I started calling her name and shaking her with no response to anything I was doing to wake her. She probably will have my handprints across her face...

By the time I stood over her shaking her violently, the Sci-Fi stuff started happening...

I yelled for my DH to call 911 right away. Well, he'd had a few Friday evening chugs, and was not sharp enough for my comfort. So, I left him holding the phone in one hand and Aunt Bea in the other, darted straight across the street, and pounded on my neighbor's door. She answered as I yelled "I think Aunt Bea's choking to death!" and ran back across with her right on my heels!

And, by the time we got right back, Aunt Bea was sitting up, fairly alert (but dazed), no memory of any of this, and ALIVE!

ER cat-scan ruled out seizure & stroke, but confirmed she'd had a heart attack and passed out.

The miracle of it all is that I'd been at church every evening last week until after 9:30 for our Revival. Friday was the last night. But, all day the Spirit keep pressing on me to go home to "be with Aunt Bea" on our b'day to help celebrate with her. It was too cold to go out to dinner or anything, and I knew she'd be grumpy we hadn't done anything special. My intention was to at least have a meal together, or tip a toast, or rent a good movie and do popcorn, something, anything to commemorate and make her evening special.

I guess I did...^^_^^

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7452140

GG,
Whew! Close call. Glad to here Aunt B and you are alright.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7452148

Wow, Linda, that's amazing! So glad you listened to the prompting, and were there when you needed to be!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7452166

Bookerc! and BigRed,
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what it would've been like if I hadn't been sitting at that table with her.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7452170

not very good had she been alone
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7452221

Amazing that she woke up so quickly. That's great.

Linda, didn't you say that you have several elderly relatives close to you? You know you can buy a defibrillator for home use ("AED") and/or take CPR classes from the heart association. Sounds like both might be useful in your case. Of course resuscitating someone that age can raise a lot of issues.

Karen

JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7452228

Wow, Gymgirl! Sorry to hear about that! Like others have said, it was a good thing you were right there for her and it was interesting how everything played out. I've never been through anything like that but I imagine I would be pretty shaken by it. I hope your Aunt B is doing well and is in good spirits.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7452747

What a memorable bday! I'm happy it was in the plan that your aunt is still here. What an amazing gift
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #7452865

Gymgirl, what a blessing for everything to turn out the way it did. Truly a most amazing birthday present for both of you. : )

Today I WS:
Several kinds of hosta seeds
Iris seed
Bleeding Heart yellow
Johnny Jump-ups
Daylily
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
11:58 PM

Post #7453276

What kind of success have any of you had wintersowing Petunias? I've gotten pretty over starting a bunch of stuff under lights. There's a few slow pokes that I will, but with a lot of annuals I'm not so concerned with getting an early start on blooms anymore. Wondering if anyone starts them directly in the hanging baskets they'll reside in?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
12:09 AM

Post #7453311

Neal -- that seems to be one seed I can't sow to save my life. BUT -- i will be trying again this year... my neighbor gave me a handful of seed pods.

I've heard others say they have no problem sowing them.
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
12:14 AM

Post #7453322

Hi everyone.

Karen don't hit me in the head LOL but I have a question. AGAIN

Ok, if I take my seeds and put them in the bottles and set them outside, are they going to germinate in the amount of days the pack says, or will they wait til mother nature says so?

I know you've answered it somewhere, but I can't find it.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
12:22 AM

Post #7453346

they will wait for MOM nature...

Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
12:27 AM

Post #7453364

Ahhh, thank you tcs. I was just looking thru my notes and found where I had copy/pasted the post you made for me, going thru my seed list and giving me pointers. You are too kind. Thanks so much. Now that I'm actually doing it, your notes really helped me.

Thanks so much
Debbie

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
12:41 AM

Post #7453425

You can pretty much disregard any information on the seed pack. That info and instructions deal with indoor seed starting. WSing is a whole 'nuther animal. All seeds have an optimal temp for germination. When you start to get spring temps, sprouting will begin. For me that's usually around March for things that sprout at lower temps. Debbie, for you it might be February.

Neal, I've had great results with WSing petunias. They start to sprout and grow at fairly low temps.

Karen

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
12:43 AM

Post #7453432

Karen, thanks for that info on Petunias. I will now try WS them also. : )

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
1:13 AM

Post #7453540

Debbie -- so glad i could help... it's just paying it forward... I was helped a lot by others in this forum yrs ago.
Everything is about learning and trial N error, we all learn from each other.

Terese

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
1:18 AM

Post #7453554

I can't seem to convince my DH that he needs to get started on the jugs for me. He keeps telling me I'm just as capable as he is when it comes to the jugs. Really, I've tried EVERYTHING! ;)
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

January 12, 2010
1:41 AM

Post #7453628

I'm new at this and already have several jugs started with great anticipation. But I do have a question -- for annuals, do you wait to sow until it warms up? I'm thinking about things like cosmos, zinnia, and veggies.

This has got to be eaisier than starting thousands in the house. I did this while living in Montana -- now in Texas and thinking the growing season is long enough to start stuff later -- outside! But the idea of WS is totally irrestible. I'm hooked!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
2:05 AM

Post #7453698

for the mroe tender of annuals, you should probably wait until your last frost date, or close to that...

here is a quote from kqcrna [Karen] that was a good one, regarding seedlings and frost...

[quote]
It's only after you have actual seedlings that frost/freezing is of any concern. And then, only if they're seedlings which are tender to frost, like zinnias, marigolds, cosmos, tomatoes... Perennials don't care. Hardy annuals won't bat an eye. You come to know which annuals will take frost. I've never had a light frost which damaged nasturtiums, petunias, or snapdragons.

If you do have frost tender seedlings and a frost hits, you can cover the whole jug with a sheet, blanket, or tarp. Or you can stash them overnight in an UNHEATED protected spot, like a garage.
[/quote]

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
2:19 AM

Post #7453741

I don't worry about it. I plant them all at the same time.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
2:38 AM

Post #7453793

I don't sow tenders until late March or April. We get frosts into May. We don't all live in Texas.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
2:40 AM

Post #7453798

We've had killing frosts in mid-May a few yrs back.

I've been lucky - some how I didnt lose anything that year.
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7454332

LOL , Karen you make me laugh. "we don't all live in Texas".

And about February, that's what I was thinking. But, with this unusual cold weather, I may even start a little later than that. And yes, it looks like I'll be about a month ahead of you on the perennials and then again on the annuals.

I have to thank everyone for all of the info and please keep it coming by asking questions. I have to say , that I have learned more on this thread , than any other thread I have been on ever.

And Terese, I started my spreadsheet yesterday and your words kept coming to my mind as I added yet more columns. LOL You said above,
"I'm just a very detailed oriented person. my 'whole' spreadsheet would probably make your hair curl by all the info I have in it..."

:)For those who don't like details, my spreadsheet would make their hair fall out. LOL

And Karen, your spreadsheet is in your head, cause you have been doing it for so long. I saw all of the listings you had on Anita's site. Many many sheets. :) And I'm glad I found them, cause they have some great info on them.

Kisses to you all for the help.
I am officially hooked.
Debbie
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
11:30 AM

Post #7454487

Woo-Hoo! New seeds in from the UK and The Netherlands. More winter sowing! YIPEE!
Got my seeds fix for another...oh...5 Minutes...LOL.

Working on getting more pictures posted in my journels,

Peggy
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7454497

Yes, Deb, you might be a few weeks ahead of me on both annuals and perennials. That's when we Yankees get zone envy. But when our gardens are peaking and beautiful in August and yours are fried, we smile in revenge. Since we can get frosts into May, I don't sow tender annuals until the last of March or April. Less worry about frozen sprouts. But you could safely sow your tenders earlier in La.

I never did do a spreadsheet last year. I'm not very good at Excel (or anything computer related for that matter) and I just didn't force myself to do it. It only included very basic info when I did do them. It was helpful the first few years though. If something failed to sprout when sown once in January, the next year I might try sowing later, that kind of thing. So the spreadsheet was useful.

Deb, do you grow any coleus from seed? Or just collect the vegetatively propagated ones? I tried some with the WSown method one year (Wizzard series I think) and they just took forever to look like anything up here. I've had better results inside under lights. I'm trying seeds of the Versa series, I have a few under lights right now. Just a few sprouts but I'm anxious to try them. I hope I don't kill them because I'm much better at WSing than under lights.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7454505

And, Debbie, you're not really hooked until you peek into a jug and see little green guys waving back.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7454627

Peggy--who are you ordering from in the UK if you don't mind me asking? Did you need a permit or is it part of your business? I'm half applied for the permit for the small seed lot thing with the government--just gotta get over to the office w/ ID and finish the process.

I'd ordered before from Chiltern (only stuff I can't find offered stateside) and didn't have any problems but ya never know with customs and all that.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7454645

dmac,
I went thur all that small seed lot permit hoopla last year only to discover I didn't need it to order from Plant World Seeds. The others I got from our DGer bartjestuin...she always has a great seed list.

I may at some point,need the permit for some other European seeds purchases so I've got it if I need it. I think it's good for 3 yrs before you have to renew.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2010
1:27 PM

Post #7454656

Thanks Peggy:) I'll have to check them out--darned internet making everything viewable and soooo tempting:lol:

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7454661

Yes,I know. I didn't need these last seeds I ordered from him but I had to go back to research cultivation and he had new seed listed and well...the rest is history...LOL

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7454688

>>Woo-Hoo! New seeds in from the UK and The Netherlands.

The ones gals that i know of in the Netherlands have an awesome selection of seeds.
I've only had the pleasure of trading with Johanna and Tuinker. both awesome selection.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7454696

Debbie -- I know there was a thread a while back where we [a bunch of us] added a link to our 'uploaded' spreadsheets. I think most were on Google Docs. I have not re-uploaded mine, since i'm awaiting seeds to 'check off'

But i think it was neat to see how others did theirs.

Terese
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #7454703

I'v traded w/ both Johanna and Tuinker
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7454745

One of the had the Pams Choice foxgloves. Do you hav their web addy?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #7454748

diamond... who's addy are you looking for?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7454761

Johanna or Tuinker had a website with plates for sale or trade. I went ot the site but didn't order those foxgloves at the time. If I order now, I may still have time to WS

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7454765

Tuinkerabouter's http://www.freewebs.com/garden-gnomes-adventures/
Jonna Sudenius's http://www.seedsite.eu/

those are the only two i have.

**edited to add... I think Tuinker is on holiday. she stated she couldnt participate in our swap due to travels.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2010 8:02 AM
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #7454801

TC, Thanks very much!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7454927

diamond, I have a generous pack of 'Pam's Choice' another member sent me that I'd be happy to split with you. If you're interested, just drop me a SASE (the seeds are so tiny, I don't think they'll need a bubble envie)- I'm in the addy exchange.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7454972

dmac,
Wished I could find enough on Chiltren's website to place an order. They're the only ones w/ the Black Form Allium I've been looking for.
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7455155

Morning everyone.

Thank you Terese, I'll try to find the thread and check them out. And thank you for the seed link.

Karen, fried indeed. It gets really hot here. I have been known to run around with umbrellas, trying to shade my plants. LOL And no, I've never tried growing coleus from seed. I thought about it, but, so many of my sweet DG'ers send cuttings and then , of course, their is the instant gratification of Rosie Dawns. Summer of 2008, I think I ended up with about 200 coleus, and then along came Gustav and they simply disappeared. Weirdest thing I ever saw. There wasn't a sign of them anywhere and they were all planted in the ground. Oh, and you are correct, I can't wait to see my first seedlings. Ya'll will hear me holler from your houses. LOL

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7455196

Well, i only found two links to google... the search is back up, but it also slows down the whole site [according to Dave] .. and i have found it very slow to load today.

here is LissaD's http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pWHv52CDURY1xswX_eMhucw

lkstuart's http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjX12qw9Y_bgcHRLazdGTkR4Xy1MTmJaTTQzMVV6RFE&hl=en

** here is my spreadsheet...
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Avcsp97ckJSUcEZ2ZmZPZUhQc1RxeEEzc29TQzNpYUE&hl=en

if you click the tab for 2010 Seed List ... if it has the 'yellow", i have those on hand, and all the others i'm still waiting for... should get them this week. I was just trying to 'inventory' my seeds, so i knew what i had and what's gone.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2010 10:07 AM

This message was edited Jan 12, 2010 10:11 AM
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7455719

Thanks so much for the SS links. I have been studying them. LOL And yes , they much like mine, except I use Excel. Great job and very helpful. I am going to add another column to mine that follows up on the bloom or the end result. I will write things like, bloomed great , but an ugly plant, dont reorder. LOL Or Bloomed great, but gets too leggy here. Until I get really good at this, it will help me to just glance to see the ones I want to re order. I ordered the Hollyhocks from Summerhills. Did any of your Hollyhocks bloom from 2009? And I didn't add both the names on mine. I just put the name that was on the seed pack. So, I need to go back and add that. And I want to add the Daves link on the ones that are in plant files, so that when I go back and make my notes as they bloom, I can just click on there and add the photo and notes. I can't tell you how much I depend on plant files with all of my plantings. Thanks again for the links.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7455886

Debbie -- i think most of us used Excel, and just uploaded it.

I did not have much luck with HH's last year. i was quite disappointed that the Summerhill Black Current Whirl did not germinate. I still have more seeds though, so i will try again.

I only had 1 or 2 HollyHocks germinate... gave them both away.. silly me, but one was to my neighbor, and it bloomed, so she gave me more seeds.

I too reference from the Daves link to PF... so glad i added that field. And I have 2 comments fields, the second one i will use for things like , bloomed great , but an ugly plant, dont reorder. LOL Or Bloomed great, but gets too leggy here.

also -- WHO i got the seeds from... if i ever have questions, i know who to ask.
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
10:17 PM

Post #7456334

OH yes, thanks Teresa, I knew I forgot to add something. The column for who I got them from. Back to the sheet.

I can just see Karen mumbling now, 'I tried to make it easy for her, but she just wont listen'. LOL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
10:26 PM

Post #7456362

Naw, she's pacing the floor...shaking her head...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7456370

ROFL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
10:29 PM

Post #7456376

...and, wagging one finger...
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
10:43 PM

Post #7456419

If busy work makes you happy, go for it. That crap drives me nuts. One thing I always like to know is the botannical name. If I know that I can look up anything. Having only a common name like "coneflower" doesn't do it for me because so many people call different things coneflowers. And of my favorites that I sow repeatedly in subsequent years, I often like to buy new commercial seeds. OP seeds can lead to too many disappointing results. Ditto many traded seeds. Some are great, I know, but some I'd just rather buy.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
10:52 PM

Post #7456440

Karen -- do you find that most if not all Echinacea are second year bloomers?
I just hate having to wait to see what the bloom is gonna look like.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
11:35 PM

Post #7456592

I had 1 Echie produce a bud the first year, but it was so late that it froze before I could see the ray flowers extend. It was saved seed from one of those coral or yellow modern hybrids, I was really curious what it would look like! It was the only seedling out of several sown to germinate. I also started several others, none of which bloomed. They did grow well though, and promising to be lovely this year :-)

I'm terrible with records, and honestly don't see myself improving much in the near future, LOL. In the garden I've got so many "irons in the fire", so to speak, I want to get everything labeled and cataloged, then I get overwhelmed and walk away, LOL. I've gotten back into the work world lately too, so I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'll take the time.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2010
12:33 AM

Post #7456755

Baby steps... baby steps Neal.

that is the way i have to do things, or i just get side tracked or overwhelmed and nothing gets done.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2010
1:34 AM

Post #7456906

Jonna Sudenius's http://www.seedsite.eu/

is EXCELLENT to order from, and surprisingly the service to get it here is very speedy. Her seed collection is incredible and so many unusual ones that I have not found around here or other companies...

She is out of country right now as she has had a death in the family, so should anyone being trying to contact her and you don't hear back give her some time to reply.

Janet
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2010
2:10 AM

Post #7456999

Terese: I had similar results to Neal's. I once got one blossom on an ech late in the first year, like October. Generally they'll bloom the second year. Worth the wait, though. But in your zone I wouldn't expect any until 2nd year.

Karen
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7458637

Mine from seed didn't have any either, but they grew well, so I expect something this year. They were from my DG newbie seeds so were just labeled Purple Coneflower. Hopefully they're the native kind so I can save some seeds to stealth plant around the wild (unkempt) pond in our complex in fall. I also ordered some native water plant seeds to toss in there, try to use up some nutrients and get rid of the billowing green algae crud.

Terese, I have downloaded your spreadsheet for reference. Mine have a million columns too.

edit: Anyone WS'd pelargoniums? They seemed pretty tough this fall. I need to get them started in the next few days, along with the petunias, though it seems you guys have had good luck with WS those so they will go out. It'll be nice not to have them hanging around inside for months.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2010 12:21 PM

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7458690

>>Terese, I have downloaded your spreadsheet for reference.

hope it helps.

i got the 'base' of mine from tom clothier's site, and tweaked it.
his database has just over 800 seeds... so I had to delete a lot, and add a lot.. but it's a great foundation.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7458731

I just noticed the comment "rabbits ate all my sunflowers" from 2007. They did that to me last spring, left me with 2 out of 12, even after I started them in peat pots so the chipzilla wouldn't eat the seeds. Bit the babies off about an inch above the ground, all in one night. I'm gonna try sticking a bottomless 2 liter bottle over each one until they get too tall for it this time.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7458766

thats a good idea with the half bottlles.

and its ironic,,, the year i had the sunflowers grow, it was seeds that the squirrels buried in my flower beds.

the bunnies ate 65 out ot 75 MG's one year too. but i love bunnies... so i get over it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7458927

I DO love it when we can get along with the wildlife!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7458929

I started some flowers inside one year. The bunnies ate only the blooms! I was so sick that I couldn't plant the rest of my babies. I kept Coleus and Rose of Sharon inside for two years. The Coleus began to twist and curl but it was the most beautiful plant. Anyone have voles/moles? I have one that insists on digging up my bulbs. I like seeing the b unnies hope around and I couldn't dream of harming them but that vole/mole is going to be fertilizer for my plants.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7458987

I don't have them, but my mom had voles. Those are the small ones, right? The cats kept them in check. And brought them in the house for presentation frequently.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7459005

Oh, bunnies don't stay so cute for very long, LOL. They find a lot of flowers quite delicious! I've had mole and vole issues in the past too, it was awful! Bulb cages were the only thing I found that worked. Castor oil poured here and there around the garden did deter them till after a good rain, but I wasn't good about keeping up with it. Most bulbs that voles eat, have sprouts that are tasty to rabbits too, like tulips, lilies, and crocus.

The bottle idea is indeed a good one!

grrrlgeek, I have a feeling Pelargoniums aren't a good choice for wintersowing, at least in cold zones. I've never had a volunteer seedling from one, and I believe they require a bit more of a head start.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #7459202

I came home to find a cat sitting on my porch one day. I thought it was odd but I didn't understan why until I found the moles tunnels. I like the idea of the cats keeping the rodents in check but if they were to "present" them to me, I would lose it. I'm a wimp!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2010

Post #7459203

>>Anyone have voles/moles?

yes... this year they ventured close to my house in my south bed. It's a MESS. DH put out a few mouse traps... hope we killed a few of them. THey have their little tunnels all thru the bed, half destroyed my dianthus MicroChip -- I dont let Charlie run wild outside.. so he can't keep them in check. [dead]

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2010
10:23 PM

Post #7459216

LOL Anita! We have 2 indoor only cats and they occasionally find prizes and leave them for me. Thankfully, they only find things like roaches (ICK!!) and other bugs. However, my neighbor has 2 outdoor kitties that keep the rodents in check in my yard as well. I was outside one morning last fall and she was yelling at her cat, "Mango! How could you? That's so gross, Mango!" (Mango is the cat.) I asked her if everything was okay and she told me yes, but that Mango had left a "prize" on the seat of her outdoor table where she likes to have her morning coffee! Her husband had the flu, so she had to deal with the "prize". She kept saying, "I'll do throw up and other things. I DON'T DO DEAD!" LOL LOL LOL I told her she should get a shovel and carry the little critter across the street to the empty lot!
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2010
10:32 PM

Post #7459245

My 2 are indoor, only "out" time is on the deck to chase off the squirrels and lay in the sun, and in the garage. They occasionally find something there. They once had a chipmunk they brought in alive and had it cornered under the desk. Live toy!

I was glad they got that chipmunk out of the garage finally, but...

gemini, Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I need to get them started under the lights soon.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2010
10:44 PM

Post #7459275

My dog is an inside pet/person. He brought baby bunnies to the patio for me once. I had no idea pets did things like that until the Humane Society came out to get the dead bunnies. He said there was a nest in my yard. I was afraid to go outside. I thought we were being invaded by alien animals. I'm with the neighbor I cannot do dead, my feet won't let me. When I see dead animals, my feet start moving and won't stop until I can no longer see them. The same goes for any live rodents or pests (not insects/bugs) that move faster than I do. LoL I'm a wimp! I did have a toad in my yard that we tried to accomodate.

How many bags of MG have you all gone through. The WSing obsession is forcing me to go out for a second bag. LoL
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
1:07 AM

Post #7459735

I've never tried geranium from seed. But this fall I started some from cuttings and I have to say these are easy!

Karen
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
1:54 AM

Post #7459879

Karen, do you put the cuttings on the 2 liter bottle?
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
2:01 AM

Post #7459900

I was bad, I didn't get any cuttings from my geraniums. But at least seeds are cheaper than all new plants.

Has anyone started Bacopa from seed? I'm wondering if they'd WS well. I only have 10 seeds so I may just start 2 or 3 outside.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
2:03 AM

Post #7459906

I didn't with the geraniums, only because I didn't have the bottles saved at the time. I took cuttings, allowed them to dry and callous over for a day. Then I just stuck them in damp potting mix and stuck each pot in a plastic bag. They took off, have been blooming through winter. I cut them back several inches last weekend because they were getting too tall to fit under my lights.

Karen
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
2:15 AM

Post #7459929

I have never had Geraniums but they seem to be really popular so I will try some this year. I am WSing a lot of perennials that won't bloom until next year. I will need some heavy blooming annuals. Has anyone ever WS fern spires?
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2010
3:34 AM

Post #7460112

Annuals that I've WS that are heavy blooming include marigolds, zinnias, pansies and violas, sun flowers, and dwarf dahlia Redskin (not technically an annual but I treat them as such.)
They start out small at the beginning but grow into big sturdy plants by summer.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
3:40 AM

Post #7460134

I have some dahlias. I wondered how they would do being WS in the spring
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #7460174

Here's my record for WS Dahlia Redskin seeds: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/90014/

I wintersowed 40 seeds on 3/14/09 here in zone 7a. My notes say "good germination" on April 6th. I planted out ten lusty seedlings June 1st., which grew into nice border plants. Sorry I don't have photos. I treated the plants as annuals, but you could probably save the tubers and grow them again.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7460623

Thank you Cape, that was very helpful. I have been wanting to have dahlias for so long, I'm half afraid to put the seeds out. LoL I'm glad your dahlias did well
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #7460651

I was wondering if those are are experienced WSowers could post a list of the flowers that they have been most success with.

Also, how often do you need to water?

Thanks,
Teresa in KY

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2010
12:42 PM

Post #7460764

Terese, you only need to water if you don't get any rain or other precipitation. I think last winter, I watered a couple of times.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #7460782

Anita, Dahlias are easy to grow from seed, and grow quickly. They're very frost sensitive, so they would be something to WS later, but others have reported success wintersowing them.

Teresa, usually I don't even have to start watering my containers till up in April when it really warms up. The coverings seem to hold moisture well. That will depend somewhat on the potting mix you use too. Lets see, flowers I've had the most success with...I'll start with perennials:
Hollyhocks
Penstemons
Hardy Geraniums
Foxglove
Columbine
Echinacea
Rudbeckia
Painted Daisy
Delphinium
Eryngium
Silene
Rose Campion
Hardy Hibiscus
Feverfew
English Wallflower
Blackberry Lily
Dianthus
Everlasting Pea (perennial sweet pea)
Allium
Sidalcea
Evening Primrose
Primula

Annuals- sown early
Nigella
Poppies
Kiss me over the Garden Gate

Annuals- sown later because they're frost sensitive
Zinnias
Sunflowers
Cosmos
Tithonia
Morning Glory and Moon vine

That's what is coming to mind right now, I'll add as I think of others.

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7461019

Thanks for the list. What is the perferred containers? Milk jugs?
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7461276

This is my 5th year and I absolutely get the best results with milk jugs and 2 liter pop bottles.

Karen

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7461949

All of you are so helpful. I am about to try my first winter sowing. I read and read and now I need to do and do. Actually, it will be next week when I do the sowing. In the meanwhile I need to get the jugs ready. And, I love Anita's site. Thanks for all the help...
Oh, yes...about tender Geraniums. Would you WS them? Mine is called Black Velvet Red from Springhill.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7462017

I don't think tender Geraniums are a good choice for wintersowing. They require a good bit of time and warmth to get going.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7462087

beebonnet: I've never done geraniums. You are in such a warm zone I'd think they'd do well.

Karen
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7462120

Good catch Karen, I didn't even notice zone 9! Someone in a colder zone asked about them earlier, and I still had cold zones on the brain.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #7462134

I haven't risked sowing WS tender geraniums either--I HAVE grown the Black Velvet series of geranium seeds under lights, and they do well, but of course you have to fuss with them. I will be interested in hearing about your experiences in WS these seeds in your warmer zone. Keep us posted!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
9:44 PM

Post #7462154

I imagine they'd do OK, just start blooming a little later than some of us would like.

Karen

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7464760

Hey ya'll. I've got 3 jugs of bell pepper seeds inside on a shelf. I checked yesterday and there's a spot of mold growing on one 'a the seeds. I've heard H2O2 will take care of this. What's the formula mixed 2 water? I should just water through right? LMK soonest. Thanks! Linda

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7464907

Ok, Winter sowing works! I peeked today and I have 2 jugs of Southern Broadleaf Mustard Greens and 2 jug of Wando Peas coming up. These were seeded on January 9th.

Now what do I do? They're still tiny yet, so I imagine I'll be waiting a coupla more weeks before attempting any kinda transplanting, right? The greens I'm not so concerned about, 'cause I've grown em from seedlings before. But, I've never grown peas. And, I sooooooooooooo wanna grow green peas!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Linda

This message was edited Jan 15, 2010 5:29 PM
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 15, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7464930

Linda,
I have this copied. Hope this helps. You've been such a help to me. :-)

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/peroxide-garden.html
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #7464940

Great info, thank you 101.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 15, 2010
8:50 PM

Post #7464970

You're welcome. I've been lurking and learning! :-)
~Susan
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2010
11:18 PM

Post #7465372

Gymgirl, its 1/2 cup of peroxide per gallon of water, or 2 tablespoons per quart.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #7465424

Susan,
Thank you sooooooooooo much!

Here's the Wando Peas that were waving back at me today!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2010
11:48 PM

Post #7465443

Here're the Mustard Greens!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2010
11:53 PM

Post #7465452

Finally,
My tomato seeds! All of these are brand new seeds I just bought, so I'm really hoping they do well with the WSing project. I don't wanna have'ta go buy seedlings from anywhere.

In fact, I hope to sell my excess to a few Houston growers!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2010
12:21 AM

Post #7465508

Oh, my goodness!

I just went to pour the H2O2 on the bell pepper seeds, and they've sprouted already! I read that bell pepper seeds took forEVER to germinate, especially without any bottom heat. I expected germination in about six weeks from now, not today!!!

I'm not ready to be a mother!!!
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
1:19 AM

Post #7465673

Hi, all! This is my second year of winter-sowing, but my first time posting on this forum.

Last year, my seeds came from local garden centers. This year I'd like to expand my horizons, and go the mail-order route. Any seed companies you recommend? With whom have you had pleasant business dealings with?

Kevin
www.agardenforthehouse.com
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2010
1:50 AM

Post #7465735

Hi Kevin--enjoyed looking at your blog!
I think that mail-order is definitely the way to go for more interesting and varied varieties of seeds that you won't find at local garden centers. If you go to the DG site listed below and check the Garden Watchdog Top 30 companies, there are several that deal specifically with seeds. Besides those that are listed, I've also had good luck with Thompson & Morgan and Park Seeds. But I'm sure there are many others that people can suggest to you.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #7465915

Linda, well, aren't you just something else. Not bad for a novice, huh? Isn't it great? Affirmation that WSing isn't a major hoax on you- It works! Milk jugs rock, you can't beat 'em. Congratulations, Mom!

I have no idea what to do with veggies anywhere, let alone in zone 9. I just grow pretty stuff, nothing practical.

Karen
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2010
3:08 AM

Post #7465941

I was telling one of the gardeners I work with what I'm learning about WSing. I cannot wait to show him my new flowers. LoL
GymGirl, I'm excited for your new mustard greens and peas. I cannot wait until I can see some green through my containers.

How big do the sprouts have to be before you open the lids? I'm thinking of WS some Liriope. Anyone tried the monkey grass?
wintergardener
Valatie, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
3:30 AM

Post #7465999

CapeCod - Great, and thanks. I'll stop back here after checking the Garden Watchdog. Kevin

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #7466595

Linda~You're an inspiration! You 'da woman! You go girl! I've got my soil and seeds and jugs, just not all in the same spot. Would you please make a road trip north and do mine?? I'm really working on the DH to do the jugs this weekend.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #7466600

Yesterday was fairly nice so I got to play a bit in the greenhouse.
I sowed:
Angelica "Ebony"
Aquilegias:
"Burnished Rose"
"Sunburst Ruby"

Dierama"Snowbells"

Penstemon whippleanus "Chocolate Drop"

Plantago major rubifolia/Red leaf plantain

On the kitchen table on heat mat under grow lights
Hardy Geraniums:
"Confetti"
g.harvyi
"Johnson's Blue"
"Midnight Reiter"
"Pink Lace"

and Myosotis "Rolled Gold"(gold leaf forget-me-nots)

Check on my other seeds I sewed in Dec. and new seeds now sprouting are:

Alyssum,perennial"Gold Dust"

lychnis "Peggy"

prunella "Bella Deep Rose"

Violas:
Penny Peach
Penny Primrose.

Hope to get more WS done today but haven't gone thur my seed boxes to select which ones.

Peggy

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #7466621

diamond: I open tops of jugs when I have pretty good germination. The top helps hold humidity and encourages more sprouts to pop. Overheating won't likely be an issue for you in zone 5 for a while. Size of the sprouts is irrelevant. I open a jug when it has several sprouts, keep it closed mostly until then.

Stephanie: What does your husband have to do with the jugs?

Karen

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #7466626

Karen, he drills the holes and cuts the jugs for me. I do the rest. It's a team effort, but part of my team isn't playing very well. :( LOL
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #7466648

It's really very easy to do yourself with just a pair of scissors and a knife. I've always cut my own jugs, no fancy expensive power tools.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7466728

same here... it's amazing how the pair of scissors slides thru the milk jug... like butter.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7467187

Oh I've got another month before I start my WS, although with the above freezing temps we are enjoying I'm almost wishing I could start now, but I have to behave as I'm getting over hernia surgery (Asthma coughing does terrible things to your body...LOL)

So I'm trying to be good and just live through what everyone else has/is/will be doing...

Janet
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7467420

I'm getting my water jugs ready using a pair of scissors and an ice pick.

Laura

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7467496

Really, the deal is that it's tedious and I'm impatient and don't want to do it myself. LOL Besides that it gives him something to do and keeps him outta my hair. (Can I say that here?? LOL)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7467547

Anita, your SASE came today. There's enough postage on there for at least a few packs of seeds, I'll check your lists and see what else I may have to stick in there. I just received scads of seeds from the Piggy Swap, some really generous packs too, so I'm sure there are plenty to share.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2010
8:57 PM

Post #7467891

Step stop dorkin' around and go get those jugs together!
Heat those phillips screwdrivers on the stove burner and start poking holes. The time will fly!
I stopped obsessing over drawing a perfectly straight horizontal slit, and started eyeballing a line parallel to one on the jug.
Chop! Chop! (literally)

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2010
11:32 PM

Post #7468255

Gemini, that's awfully nice of you. I always put two stamps on the envies just to be on the safe side. Are there any seeds you're looking for? Thanks again for being so geneous with your seeds!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2010
12:02 AM

Post #7468323

My DH would KILL me if I abused his screwdrivers like that! LOL Maybe tomorrow. I need to get my sweet peas planted for sure!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
12:05 AM

Post #7468333

Oh, I'm covered up with seeds now that these from the swap have come in! To think I was actually tempted to order some the other day, LOL. I was just going through and organizing these seeds, and feeling rather overwhelmed. I've gotten them separated into baggies of one Genus, and most are alphabetized, now I need to separate out those for wintersowing- which I do into 2 baggies, 1 for early WSing and 1 for tender plants to WS later. Then one for direct sowing, and another for starting under lights. Since I'm so fond of a large variety, I just aim for 6-12 plants of each variety of seed, and most of these packs have way more than that in them.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
12:06 AM

Post #7468335

Steph, are you wintersowing your sweetpeas?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2010
12:09 AM

Post #7468347

Yes, because we have to grow them so early here before they get fried.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
12:13 AM

Post #7468356

Yep, same problem with sweet peas here, just a little later. What are your temps like now? I'm wondering if you could go ahead and direct sow them.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
12:19 AM

Post #7468371

meadow, I have the opposite problem, I have elbow surgery wed. and will lose the use of my right arm for 1 week (and I'm right handed), then not to lift anything heavier then a cup of coffee for 3 mos. May have to fudge on that last one; that takes me into April, and I have stuff to do outside (like a crisper full of bulbs-I'm not keeping them in there over the whole summer). If I could find a cheap dorm frige to keep in the garage I might though. Need to check Craig's list, maybe Target.

I just got my latest seed orders-lots of natives from Prairie Moon and Everwilde. Some I'm going to WS and stealth plant in the wild areas around the pond. The "landscapers" never bother touching it, so it's in desperate need. Some I'm just going to sprinkle the seeds in the snow around there sometime when it's supposed to snow. Prairie Moon says I have til February to do that here. Some are for my little rain gardens-I think I'll have to cut back on the drainage holes for them if I WS, they're supposed to be started in "mud".
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
12:20 AM

Post #7468375

Sweet peas are supposed to be ok to DS at the same time as garden peas. So I'm trying them here in z5 around the end of March, depending on what we get for Spring.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2010
12:48 AM

Post #7468453

Well last week, it was colder than anything, but that's very odd. We've been down to the upper 30s-low 40s at night and mid-upper 40s/low 50s during the day.

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
12:49 AM

Post #7468459

Will it stay that way, d'ya think?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2010
1:07 AM

Post #7468525

Good grief, who knows?!? This is Texas and just about anything could happen regarding the weather. We've had snow, deep freeze, and everything in between. We haven't had any ice yet, so that may be coming.
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
1:08 AM

Post #7468526

Linda- did you say your peppers germinated??? That's great!!! I can't believe it.

I had a major set-back earlier this week when my stupid beagle of a dog ran rough-shod all over my WS'ing collection...

I should have anticipated this disaster, but I got busy with work and things had been going great for several weeks so it was out-of-mind. I lost some of my swiss chard crops and my bell peppers were disrupted, meaning they were knocked over but did not "spill" so I don't know what to expect with those jugs. I will be WS'ing more peppers tomorrow, though (I've been prepping containers like a madman the last day or so...gearing up for "the big push" when I WS lotsa stuff. Luckily I have MLK day off from work.)

I was so mad...but it was my fault, lesson learned the hard way.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
1:56 AM

Post #7468673

Mine are going in clear rubbermaid totes with holes in the bottom. So far I have one with a broken lid and one I got cheap at Ace. That way the squirrels and chipmunks won't be out there knocking them around.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
2:23 AM

Post #7468744

grrrigeek

sorry to hear you will have to behavior yourself for a while, but honestly do make sure to follow the Dr's directions cause you sure don't want to have lasting problems due to wanting to get back to normal sooner...

Janet
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 17, 2010
3:01 AM

Post #7468840

Okay, question please? I'm sure this has already been covered, but I don't seem to see it. What type of soil are you putting in your jugs? I have potting mix or Jiffy?
Thanks. I'm ready to begin! :-)
~Susan

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
3:14 AM

Post #7468875

Susan... here is the "Brand of Soil" thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/813723/

I use Miracle Grow, as i can get it in the large bag. I do think i used Jiffy once.

Terese
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 17, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7468911

Thanks Terese! Loved it! I appreciate you reprinting the link. :-)
~Susan

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #7469203

Susan,
All my 41 jugs are filled with MG Potting mix.

John,
My 3 jugs of Emerald Giant and King of the North Bell peppers have almost 100% germination. EG Jug #1 has 9 outta ten seeds up; EG #2 has 8 outta 10; K of the North, #3 has 6 up, but I think the others are on the way. I put the jugs inside on my light shelf in the dark. Once I noticed they were up, I started running the fluorescent lights on them for 4 hours per day.

One DGer says the leggy-ness comes from either the lights being up too high or being on too long. So, I'm gonna try his 4-hour/day schedule.

I sowed three more bell pepper jugs today and will keep a closer eye on that germination date. I believe the three above germed in 8-9 days.

Linda

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7470192

ok for some reason I'm not remembering right, someone, anyone please set me straight.

Once we place the jug outside do we leave the tops on till germination or leave tops off all together?

Don't know why all of the sudden I can't remember the answer to this>>>>LOL

Janet
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7470214

Leave the tops on (without lids, to serve as vents), till either the seedlings outgrow them or warm weather requires it.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7470219

Janet... there are "tops" and there are "caps"

leave the top half of whatever the container ON.

but say you are using 2Ltr or Milk jugs... throw the "caps" away.
the containers need to "breath" a bit.

once the weather warms up a bit - wont be for a few months,
and you have little seedlings in there, then you can remove the top half of the container, but dont throw them away yet, as you may need to recover them on cold nights.

That is why many of us create the "hinge" on our containers... we can open them up, but still have the top portion in case we need to close them up again.

HTH

Terese

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7470231

The screw on or pop on lid to the jug that covers the pour spout stays OFF to allow for ventilation and water to pass through. The top half of the jug that you've cut, stays ON.

Clear as mud??

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7470247

tops still on [only example i could find] but hinged.

Thumbnail by tcs1366

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7470251

here is a shot with containers in various stages... some on, one hinged and others with the tops cut off. I think this was early May.

Thumbnail by tcs1366

nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7470372

Catchin' up on this thread. A bit back someone asked about WSing bacopa. I did last year with great success.

I think I read somewhere that one person had success WSing iris (can't remember if it was this thread or one in cottage gardening. Has anyone else had success? I tried Siberian Iris Caesar's Brother last year with no germination. I have some more siberian iris along with some Japanes and artic iris if y'all think it is worth the effort in zone 8b.

Tonya
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7470421

Gymgirl: Now you have confused me. I thought you were talking above about wintersown sprouts. Now you're talking about legginess and distance from lights. Are all those sprouts wintersown ones or inside under lights.

Karen

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7470528

Sorry for any confusion!

Only the 6 jugs of bell peppers are inside. Everything else is outside. I kept the bells in because I read they needed bottom heat for germination. I was trying to figure out how to give it to them so they would germinate and not take forever!

I started a bell outside last fall (didn't realize it then, but I had actually WSowed in a Sam's rotissirie container). It took almost 13-15 weeks before those seeds germinated outside...

Those peppers will be the only seeds that get started inside -- and that was a total accident on my part. As soon as they get some true leaves, they're going outside with their brothers and sisters!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #7470641

I was meaning the screw lids to the tops of the milk jugs...

Thanks everyone for you input and especially love the photos... 8~)

Janet
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #7470646

OK, now I gotcha. I thought it awfully early for WSown peppers, even in zone 9.

Karen

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010

Post #7470858

Well, we're experiencing that phenomenon known as "let's see if we can fool the seeds into thinking it's spring in the middle of winter!" I was outside in a T-shirt and was about to pop a sweat.

I see how winter sowing too early can be hazardous when the seeds believe it's time to come up and they do, then the temps drop on the baby seedlings and freeze 'em to death!

"It's not nice to fool WITH Mother Nature?"
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
10:20 PM

Post #7470868

We needed to bring a cabinet in from the garage through the front door. I had on a long sleeved shirt and an unzipped hoodie and needed a shower after! This was on the west side of the house at 3pm-ish, so plenty of sun. Felt good.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
10:36 PM

Post #7470899

Karen,
Here's my damage!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
11:12 PM

Post #7470982

>>This was on the west side of the house at 3pm-ish, so plenty of sun.

gg... when did you have sun?? gray and gloomy here today. and i dont think we got above 32

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
11:18 PM

Post #7471003

TC,
We've had sunshine and 64 degrees all day today!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
11:19 PM

Post #7471008

Wow I thought I had a lot of jugs! I have more sowing to do! LoL
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
11:35 PM

Post #7471057

It was gray and bleh until the afternoon. I did a couple of things outside too. I'm not sure how warm it actually was, but it felt good in the sun. Especially in comparison to recent crud. We're both cool temp people-we keep the thermostat on 68 all winter and are quite comfy.

I finally got my butt in gear and cut up my bottles. I realized that I cut the 2 liters off too high, so I made my v-cuts shallower and more frequent, so I think they'll be ok. The stuff I want to sow now would probably be fine without a cover if it weren't for the curious critters.

Poop, I just realized I poked lots of holes in all my containers, and I have a few things that like to be started in mud. Maybe I'll keep those in a different outer container with only a couple of drainage holes.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2010 5:45 PM
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2010
4:55 AM

Post #7472002

What likes to be started in mud? Just in case I have some of those too:lol:

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #7472020

I was afraid to ask...
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7472078

LOL me too!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7472620

water lilies?
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

January 18, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7473026

After putting out my containers, I started thinking (always gets me in trouble..lol) how much covering should these seeds get? I know some seeds only need to be pressed into the surface and some need deep cover. Should I have paid closer attention to this?

Gymgirl..that is impressive sowing!
tcs..thanks for the pics.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7473048

I never pay attention to depth. I just sprinkle on top.

Karen
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

January 18, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7473077

Karen, that makes sense. I was thinking out in the wild, seeds get blown around and not all of them get "buried" thou some do. Which ones actually germinate?
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7473130

Who knows. They often heave up and out of soil, move around in the containers. All that matters is they sprout.

Karen

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7473176

I'm with Karen on the sprinkling on top. I've noticed that since I started paying attention to how deep I plant the seeds, I'm getting exceedingly better germination rates!

I believe I've been planting WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too deep, and losing seeds as a result...

IMHO...

Linda

Karen,
Thanks for that tip early on. Otherwise, I'd have done the same thing -- plant too deep and wonder why my seeds never came up.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7473194

Did I read some place that you plant as deep as the seeds are in size? And if the seeds are super fine then you don't cover at all depending on the specific requirements for light??? Do you all press the seeds into the soil? Mother nature makes it seem super easy!
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7473203

Mud=water calla, marsh marigold, pickerel weed, arrowhead. Things for the rain garden and edge of pond. The lotus can apparently just be nicked and tossed in the pond. Just have to figure out when. When/if I restart my aquarium, I'm going to try arrowhead started underwater to put in it.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7473205

You're welcome. I have wondered why seed companies recommend sowing so deep. I do think surface sowing works best.

Karen

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7473227

Karen,
That's an easy answer.

Recommend sowing too deep = poor germination = grower comes back to buy more seeds to try again = $$$ for the seed company.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7473266

So true. But poor germination also leads customers away from the company in search of a better one. At least that's true for me.

Karen
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

January 18, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7473313

Good info! Thanks! I filled my cups and then put a little soil on top to cover. The bigger, harder seeds got more covering. The soil is pretty loose so they shouldnt have a problem.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7473416

I wet my soil, then sprinkle the seeds on top. Then I lightly (very lightly) dust more soil on top. There are some seeds that need light to germinate, like Mexican Sunflowers.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

January 18, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7473444

Is there a list somewhere of those light germinating seeds?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7473562

here is a spreadsheet klstuart was collaborating on ... it does list 'light'
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjX12qw9Y_bgcHRLazdGTkR4Xy1MTmJaTTQzMVV6RFE&hl=en

i know i saw a site the other day... I jsut have to refind it.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7473586

here's one.. you have to scroll to the bottom, plus she has descriptions of what everything means...

like "S" means surface sow
JC = just cover.
"L" liught
"D" dark

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

January 18, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7473629

Thanks so much! Just going down the list, most are barely covered.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7473703

I never pay any attention to that stuff for wintersowing. I just sprinkle seeds on the surface and move on. Big seeds I will stick individually into the soil. And who cares about the "light" and "dark" stuff? They're outside!

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #7473716

Karen -- you use Perilite on the surface for some seeds??
I was going to try that for some smaller seeds, like Salvias.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #7473822

Not perlite, but sometimes fine grade vermiculite. All kinds of benefits seem to be attributed to that, though I don't know how true they are.

Usually I forget to do it.

Karen
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2010
11:45 PM

Post #7474340

The only thing I really push in are big seeds, otherwise they've pushed themselves out with their roots. It seems that more and more seeds have directions like "barely cover" or "surface sow" or very shallow depths like 1/16". The only place I still see that "bury the seed x number of times the size of the seed" are on some mass produced seed packets where they obviously don't change the directions to match the individual species.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #7474506

My tomatoe seeds came with directions to sow 1/4" deep. : ( I WSed them before I read this info. Hope they come up. Ten milk jugs of tomato seeds.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #7474556

the year i did Siberian Iris' ... i was constantly pushing those seeds back in the ground... i guess they were popping up with the 'heave' of the soil. but i also noticed, ones that i missed and were still on the surface... they still germinated while they were on the surface.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
3:39 AM

Post #7475085

Valley Girl,
You should be go to go on that 1/4" tomato sowing. I've got 18-20 jugs of tomato seeds sown! We'd better be right!

Linda
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7475146

Gymgirl, you have encouraged me. : ) I will keep you posted on when (not if) they germinate. I still have a couple more varieties to sow. Need to find more jugs. I emailed everyone I know that lives close by asking them to save milk jugs and the large pop bottles. I have a couple of jugs planted with hostas, one of johnny jump ups, and one of columbine. I need more jugs. : ( I only have about 130 more pkts of seeds to plant.

Lynn
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

January 19, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #7475284

Wow! You people have been busy -- must be time for me to get going again. I have a few milk jugs and grape boxes (sams) started, but obviously not enough! I'm almost afraid to start too many. . .where oh where, will they all go? I'm also trying to be smart about all of this -- If I plant it AND they grow, then I have to water it. . . all summer. And Texas manages to have some real scorchers. So, I'm trying to plant only those that claim they can make it in heat, humidity and drought. . . which really limits my choices. But nothing worse than planting and then having the extreme heat destroy it.

Planning is so much fun. Tomorrow I get to sow a few more -- looking forward to it!
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

January 19, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #7475522

ValleyLynn,
You can also just buy water in big jugs, a great idea I learned from diamond. I dont drink enough milk to collect those containers and when I do, I always buy it in the wax container because it keeps longer and tastes better, to me.

Water jugs are less expensive too.Good luck on your 'maters.

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2010
11:19 AM

Post #7475547

If you have friends with kids you can ask them too:) I don't drink enough milk or soda to save enough bottles for myself either so I recruited outside help. I like the rectangular bottles from Ocean Spray Cranberry and Grapefruit juice too.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7475557

OK, do you cut the gallon jugs open and then put then back together?

Curious in KY
Teresa
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2010
12:15 PM

Post #7475571

Teresa, the jugs are cut open on 3 sides, leaving one attached as a hinged lid.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7475839

Teresa -- I posted 2 image --- look back upward to Jan 17th. that will give you some ideas.

dmac -- I too love those juice containers. the only time i buy juice for my kids is during the 'winter' so i can get the containers. I like the "Naked juice" ones too... but they are only QT sized.

Terese

ps -- I'll get a new thread started... this one is getting long.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #7475861

New thread ... come on over === >
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070447/

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2010
10:20 PM

Post #7499908

Bumped up for the newbies...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2010
10:35 PM

Post #7499959

thanks Linda... the next thread in succession is over here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070447/

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
12:31 AM

Post #7500327

can't get over to the new thread... someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Janet

the links aren't working for me.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2010
3:40 AM

Post #7500871

Janet... i forgot to number the threads... the next one in succession is things rolling right along

sorry 'bout that.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
1:17 AM

Post #7503634

no problem, I've found them...

Janet

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America