Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

How to catch wild chickens???

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

When I moved here a year and nine days ago, there was one roo and three hens living in the woods behind the house. I started feeding them, and,,, and ,,, well there are probably twenty five chickens now. Two roosters just ran through the yard, big noisy chase!

I don't want to frighten off the chickens. I figure to catch just a few, or even one, in not-the-right-way would make them all stay away.

Any suggestions? probably a dozen roos to go into the stewpot., ha, pressure cooker!

my thoughts, (1) chicken wire trap, either small or large (2) solid plywood trap, catch em at sunset, the last meal sort of time, they find leftover restaurant french fries irresistable, I think they'd go in....

Thanks!

Mm

Thumbnail by Molamola
Richmond, TX

How close can you get to them?

Lodi, United States

I catch my chickens in a pvc pipe and chicken wire cage that I use as a run for the young chickens when they first go out.

I prop one edge up with a 5 gallon plastic flower pot with a rope tied to it, throw their scratch under it. After they get use to feeding under it, I wait till the rooster I want is under it and pull the pot out with the rope. These are very skittish roos and it's worked every time.

Porkpal, as close as that photo! they're quite wild and skittish. I was peeking out of my kitchen door.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about pvc, that'd be a lot easier than 2X4's...

I doubt there's more than a few ounces of meat on these guys!!!! they're so long and lean, and they run all day every day.

Ferndale, WA

Your probable about being lean, and probably tough also due to all the foraging they do. However if you could trap a few and keep them caged and breed them, you could also fatten them up and d
evelop your own line from the V I's Sounds like a plan to me. Hay.

Then you could advertise them as Molamola's wild virgins...LOL

LOL, almost a good idea, Hay!! Someone on my neighboring island, Puerto Rico beat me to it, see:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/PuertoRican/BRKPRGame.html

The roos mostly look just like the first one. I've never seen a "turkin" or a tailless bird here.

Cockfighting is a sport here on St Croix. You won't catch me in the audience, tho!

Here's a poor photo of the guy that I would like to catch and keep. He's a chicken all the others beat him up, he's usually solitary. Maybe they're jealous of all the colors.

Thumbnail by Molamola
Ferndale, WA

WOW!!!That is one beautiful rooster. I hope your able to catch him, and breed from him. He is beautiful. Good luck to you my friend. Hay.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

He's beautiful! He looks like a sunset.

The feathers are really red on one part of his back, and his ruff?? what do you call the neck feathers? anyway they fluff out so golden.

Now with your encouragement, I will certainly catch this fellow, and take good care of him. Wish I could tell which hen was his mama...

Hmm, pvc, joints and glue, chic wire...

Lodi, United States

Don't really need the glue---just shove them together....if the birds are really strong you may want to weigh it down with something....I held the chicken wire on with slip ties...very easy.

whee, major problem solved, how to attach the wire. Hadn't thought of that.

Thank you!!

The birds aren't all that big, 4 or 5 pounds, but they're as fit as Olympians.

Ferndale, WA

Molamola! I have total faith in you and your ability to outfox this fine feathered gentleman. He will make a great mascot for your future endeavours...Hay. P. S. the neck featheres are called hackles.

Ah! Hackles! now I know!!!

I seem to be calling him Gorgeous George. (Who was Georgeous George, anyway? now I have to go google)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Around these parts, Gorgeous George was a professional wrestler, about 15 or 20 years ago.

Oh, OK!! this guy is such a wimp, maybe the name will do him good! lol

I was buying "Poultry Netting" in the hardware store, and everyone was laughing when I was singing, "I'm gonna catcha roooo stah!"

They didn't have any chicken wire!

Updates as this drama unfolds.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Watch out for his spurs when you go to remove him from the trap. Wear long sleeves so in the thrashing he doesn't give you a nasty scratch. (I've got one from a peacock capture... looks like I tried to commit suicide).

Can't wait to hear the updates!

Clarkson, KY

Love it!! Keep the updates coming! ;)

Ferndale, WA

Sorry CountryGarden, but you've lost track of time...LOL It's true Gorgeous George was a professional wrestler but he died in 1963 at 48 years old. So he's been dead almost as many years as he lived. Hay

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

use wire ties to attach the netting to your frame Molamola

So G.G. was around when I was a kid. Time flies!

I am slow about catching these birds because of their spurs, and because they're so wild. I might see about fooling with them after dark, a heavy beach towel to throw over them, and having some sort of drawstring net, and, and...

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

You're right it's easy to lose track of time.
Remember all those pin up girls from the 50's & 60's ? They are now 70 & 80 years old!
Bernie

A little hen has started setting in a weedy patch in back of the house. She was out eating just now, so I went and peeked. Poor little chicckie, such a crusty nest made of sticks and twigs, and dirt bottom showing thru. Three very muddy little eggs. I must either catch her or at least put up a bit of roof for rain... these are tough birds!

Guess I need to see about building a henhouse... Don't know what I'll do with the roo when I catch him... need a cage before catching, hey?

Like, as in build the barn and fence the pasture, before you bring home the pony, not after!!!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I use a fish net on a long pole that someone gave me when the came and got ducks. SHe walked right in and caught them. I was impressed and since the ducks were free of charge, she gifted me the net.. Has come in handy alot to catch chickens.

Richmond, TX

Plan Ahea
d

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

Who you need is Chicken George, from Roots. I do believe these are game chickens, fighting cocks.
They are very wild and are sure to be in good shape, which means, tough as a boot. The hens make good brood hens. They are beautiful, good luck.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

You could always grind the meat...
but not GG's... he's a keeper.

Maybe you could make like a keyhole trap for the birds with the poultry netting (if it's that soft woven stuff and not wire). Then if you walk in the slot, they'll fly into the netting and get tangled. Then you can just drop the net over them, giving you plenty of time to go "chicken picking".

These chickkies are definitely game-fighting chickens. They get started challenging each other almost from birth.

I'll have to look for the cloth stuff, this 'netting' is wire. Hmm, hasn't started rusting yet.

LOL, porkpal...

Ferndale, WA

Hey Bernie, I wished time would loose track of us a quickly as we loose track of it, HUH...LOL. Hay...Bernie my wife saw a pic of Sophia Loren the other day, she is seventy-five and still looks twenty-five. That just isn't right is it...

Richmond, TX

Ah, the wonders of modern surgery!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Her plastic surgeon is better than Joan River's...

You might look for the bird netting that one puts over trees and the like to keep the birds out of the fruit... it's pretty lightweight stuff, so you might have to double it to hold a chicken, but it'd be another fairly inexpensive possibility.

That's how they catch wild birds for census purposes... hang light weight netting and chase the birds into it. The little birds get their wings tangled, the bigger birds they pull the netting over.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

How about Vanna White on Wheel of Fortune. The program has been on 35 years. How old is she ?

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

These are definately game chickens! My ex used to raise them. They come from wild chickens from the jungle.
He used a long pole with a short piece (maybe 1 by 6) on one end. Then if you can get close to where they roost, push the "T" end gently under the chicken's breast and they'll step right on it and you can bring them down. Grab their legs just above the feet, and put the chicken in a gunny (tow) sack quickly. He never got hurt or hurt a chicken doing this!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

And some of the older male movie stars are starting to look freeze dried too. I can't remember who it was I saw, but my first thought was "He's been pinched, and tucked, and botoxed. Ugh!"

Richmond, TX

The public health folks trapped pigeons at our pasture for an encephalitis survey with canon-fired nets. Quite cool but not applicable in your case.

Clarkson, KY

The bird netting wasn't a great option for me. Entangles them quickly, doesn't immobilize them until they are horribly tangled and the stuff is fine enough that it is really hard to handle and remove. And removing it (when I did that) required a LOT of handling...

I have no idea where they nest or roost. I sort of looked for their 'home' once, but the woods aren't very easy to go through here. Plus it's really steep, and the ground is loose and crumbly. Maybe if I was forty years younger,,,, what an awful thing to be able to say!

Wow, now I have all of you involved, I'll just have to do something besides think about catching them... But the suggestions are helping!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I think I'd just cut the stuff off... that's what I do with my pea and bean vines.

Clarkson, KY

What I ended up doing, Jay. But it was a major mess and I got scratched.

Lodi, United States

I'd try some form of a box trap first--with a long taught rope...I just wait until dark to take them out. They are quite obliging then. Just stick them in a dog crate and take them to the coop.

Sure sounds easy when I write it....:0)

Ferndale, WA

Molamola are you from the Virgin Islands originally? You had me laughing so hard, I had visions of you running through the jungle or clinging to vines like Tarzan with a rooster in one arm and the other clinging to the vine. We all have great ideas as we sit in our easy chairs and laugh watching you trying to trap these escape artists. Come on just man up and go get em bucko. LMBO. Hay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.