Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: How to catch wild chickens???

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 136, Views: 835
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 8, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7441999

When I moved here a year and nine days ago, there was one roo and three hens living in the woods behind the house. I started feeding them, and,,, and ,,, well there are probably twenty five chickens now. Two roosters just ran through the yard, big noisy chase!

I don't want to frighten off the chickens. I figure to catch just a few, or even one, in not-the-right-way would make them all stay away.

Any suggestions? probably a dozen roos to go into the stewpot., ha, pressure cooker!

my thoughts, (1) chicken wire trap, either small or large (2) solid plywood trap, catch em at sunset, the last meal sort of time, they find leftover restaurant french fries irresistable, I think they'd go in...

Thanks!

Mm

Thumbnail by Molamola
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 8, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #7442029

How close can you get to them?
Catscan
Lodi
United States

January 8, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7442064

I catch my chickens in a pvc pipe and chicken wire cage that I use as a run for the young chickens when they first go out.

I prop one edge up with a 5 gallon plastic flower pot with a rope tied to it, throw their scratch under it. After they get use to feeding under it, I wait till the rooster I want is under it and pull the pot out with the rope. These are very skittish roos and it's worked every time.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 8, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7442247

Porkpal, as close as that photo! they're quite wild and skittish. I was peeking out of my kitchen door.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about pvc, that'd be a lot easier than 2X4's...

I doubt there's more than a few ounces of meat on these guys!!!! they're so long and lean, and they run all day every day.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 8, 2010
11:33 PM

Post #7443433

Your probable about being lean, and probably tough also due to all the foraging they do. However if you could trap a few and keep them caged and breed them, you could also fatten them up and d
evelop your own line from the V I's Sounds like a plan to me. Hay.

Then you could advertise them as Molamola's wild virgins...LOL
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 8, 2010
11:53 PM

Post #7443490

LOL, almost a good idea, Hay!! Someone on my neighboring island, Puerto Rico beat me to it, see:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/PuertoRican/BRKPRGame.html

The roos mostly look just like the first one. I've never seen a "turkin" or a tailless bird here.

Cockfighting is a sport here on St Croix. You won't catch me in the audience, tho!

Here's a poor photo of the guy that I would like to catch and keep. He's a chicken all the others beat him up, he's usually solitary. Maybe they're jealous of all the colors.

Thumbnail by Molamola

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 9, 2010
12:50 AM

Post #7443721

WOW!!!That is one beautiful rooster. I hope your able to catch him, and breed from him. He is beautiful. Good luck to you my friend. Hay.
LoreenH
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2010
1:00 AM

Post #7443755

He's beautiful! He looks like a sunset.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 9, 2010
1:09 AM

Post #7443782

The feathers are really red on one part of his back, and his ruff?? what do you call the neck feathers? anyway they fluff out so golden.

Now with your encouragement, I will certainly catch this fellow, and take good care of him. Wish I could tell which hen was his mama...

Hmm, pvc, joints and glue, chic wire...
Catscan
Lodi
United States

January 9, 2010
1:16 AM

Post #7443799

Don't really need the glue---just shove them together...if the birds are really strong you may want to weigh it down with something...I held the chicken wire on with slip ties...very easy.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 9, 2010
1:35 AM

Post #7443857

whee, major problem solved, how to attach the wire. Hadn't thought of that.

Thank you!!

The birds aren't all that big, 4 or 5 pounds, but they're as fit as Olympians.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 9, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #7444286

Molamola! I have total faith in you and your ability to outfox this fine feathered gentleman. He will make a great mascot for your future endeavours...Hay. P. S. the neck featheres are called hackles.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 9, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7445096

Ah! Hackles! now I know!!!

I seem to be calling him Gorgeous George. (Who was Georgeous George, anyway? now I have to go google)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2010
12:14 AM

Post #7447026

Around these parts, Gorgeous George was a professional wrestler, about 15 or 20 years ago.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 10, 2010
12:20 AM

Post #7447047

Oh, OK!! this guy is such a wimp, maybe the name will do him good! lol

I was buying "Poultry Netting" in the hardware store, and everyone was laughing when I was singing, "I'm gonna catcha roooo stah!"

They didn't have any chicken wire!

Updates as this drama unfolds.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2010
2:09 AM

Post #7447358

Watch out for his spurs when you go to remove him from the trap. Wear long sleeves so in the thrashing he doesn't give you a nasty scratch. (I've got one from a peacock capture... looks like I tried to commit suicide).

Can't wait to hear the updates!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 10, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #7447377

Love it!! Keep the updates coming! ;)
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 10, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7447974

Sorry CountryGarden, but you've lost track of time...LOL It's true Gorgeous George was a professional wrestler but he died in 1963 at 48 years old. So he's been dead almost as many years as he lived. Hay
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #7447982

use wire ties to attach the netting to your frame Molamola
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 10, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7448027

So G.G. was around when I was a kid. Time flies!

I am slow about catching these birds because of their spurs, and because they're so wild. I might see about fooling with them after dark, a heavy beach towel to throw over them, and having some sort of drawstring net, and, and...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #7448254

You're right it's easy to lose track of time.
Remember all those pin up girls from the 50's & 60's ? They are now 70 & 80 years old!
Bernie
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 10, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #7448285

A little hen has started setting in a weedy patch in back of the house. She was out eating just now, so I went and peeked. Poor little chicckie, such a crusty nest made of sticks and twigs, and dirt bottom showing thru. Three very muddy little eggs. I must either catch her or at least put up a bit of roof for rain... these are tough birds!

Guess I need to see about building a henhouse... Don't know what I'll do with the roo when I catch him... need a cage before catching, hey?

Like, as in build the barn and fence the pasture, before you bring home the pony, not after!!!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7448526

I use a fish net on a long pole that someone gave me when the came and got ducks. SHe walked right in and caught them. I was impressed and since the ducks were free of charge, she gifted me the net.. Has come in handy alot to catch chickens.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 10, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #7448566

Plan Ahea
d
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7448588

Who you need is Chicken George, from Roots. I do believe these are game chickens, fighting cocks.
They are very wild and are sure to be in good shape, which means, tough as a boot. The hens make good brood hens. They are beautiful, good luck.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7448601

You could always grind the meat...
but not GG's... he's a keeper.

Maybe you could make like a keyhole trap for the birds with the poultry netting (if it's that soft woven stuff and not wire). Then if you walk in the slot, they'll fly into the netting and get tangled. Then you can just drop the net over them, giving you plenty of time to go "chicken picking".
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 10, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7448643

These chickkies are definitely game-fighting chickens. They get started challenging each other almost from birth.

I'll have to look for the cloth stuff, this 'netting' is wire. Hmm, hasn't started rusting yet.

LOL, porkpal...

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 10, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7448824

Hey Bernie, I wished time would loose track of us a quickly as we loose track of it, HUH...LOL. Hay...Bernie my wife saw a pic of Sophia Loren the other day, she is seventy-five and still looks twenty-five. That just isn't right is it...
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 10, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7448883

Ah, the wonders of modern surgery!
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7448884

Her plastic surgeon is better than Joan River's...

You might look for the bird netting that one puts over trees and the like to keep the birds out of the fruit... it's pretty lightweight stuff, so you might have to double it to hold a chicken, but it'd be another fairly inexpensive possibility.

That's how they catch wild birds for census purposes... hang light weight netting and chase the birds into it. The little birds get their wings tangled, the bigger birds they pull the netting over.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7448902

How about Vanna White on Wheel of Fortune. The program has been on 35 years. How old is she ?
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7448935

These are definately game chickens! My ex used to raise them. They come from wild chickens from the jungle.
He used a long pole with a short piece (maybe 1 by 6) on one end. Then if you can get close to where they roost, push the "T" end gently under the chicken's breast and they'll step right on it and you can bring them down. Grab their legs just above the feet, and put the chicken in a gunny (tow) sack quickly. He never got hurt or hurt a chicken doing this!
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7448940

And some of the older male movie stars are starting to look freeze dried too. I can't remember who it was I saw, but my first thought was "He's been pinched, and tucked, and botoxed. Ugh!"
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 10, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7448962

The public health folks trapped pigeons at our pasture for an encephalitis survey with canon-fired nets. Quite cool but not applicable in your case.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 10, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7449106

The bird netting wasn't a great option for me. Entangles them quickly, doesn't immobilize them until they are horribly tangled and the stuff is fine enough that it is really hard to handle and remove. And removing it (when I did that) required a LOT of handling...
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 10, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7449165

I have no idea where they nest or roost. I sort of looked for their 'home' once, but the woods aren't very easy to go through here. Plus it's really steep, and the ground is loose and crumbly. Maybe if I was forty years younger,,, what an awful thing to be able to say!

Wow, now I have all of you involved, I'll just have to do something besides think about catching them... But the suggestions are helping!

Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7449367

I think I'd just cut the stuff off... that's what I do with my pea and bean vines.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 10, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #7449502

What I ended up doing, Jay. But it was a major mess and I got scratched.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

January 10, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #7449506

I'd try some form of a box trap first--with a long taught rope...I just wait until dark to take them out. They are quite obliging then. Just stick them in a dog crate and take them to the coop.

Sure sounds easy when I write it...:0)
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 10, 2010
10:20 PM

Post #7449628

Molamola are you from the Virgin Islands originally? You had me laughing so hard, I had visions of you running through the jungle or clinging to vines like Tarzan with a rooster in one arm and the other clinging to the vine. We all have great ideas as we sit in our easy chairs and laugh watching you trying to trap these escape artists. Come on just man up and go get em bucko. LMBO. Hay
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 10, 2010
11:00 PM

Post #7449706

And if you teach that long rope on the box trap enough, maybe you won't even have to be present to spring it.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 10, 2010
11:41 PM

Post #7449818

Oh, Lord, what have I gotten myself in to??

Jay, "cut the stuff off" ??? peas don't grow here, too hot.

Cat, armchair is MUCH easier that real !!! LOL!

Cheese and bread, I'll have to start a photo log of what's going on, then go from there. Dark? I come home from my beach bar and am really useless until morning! but, no," I am not a drunk." two or three beers, and a slice of pizza.

Gorgeous George does look up in that weedy spot that the others don't, hummmm. French fries there for him, get him addicted...

I thought about ,, once I catch the boy, to put him in the spare bathroom that is half remodelled, so maybe I could get him used to me and maybe even tame him.

BUT, I thought about having to clean that little room later-- not good idea.

OK, I do have the "poultry netting" I should make Gorgeous George his new home, and then cram him in there once caught, in a day or two,.

how about Tuesday?
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2010
12:06 AM

Post #7449876

Sounds like a date...er...
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
12:18 AM

Post #7449910

Well, it'll be interesting in any case...
Pulling up a chair, crackin' open a cold... soda. =0) I can hardly wait to see how the big rooster round-up develops...
Catscan
Lodi
United States

January 11, 2010
1:21 AM

Post #7450072

What are you doing, porkpal? Tag team with Moxon?

I taught I taut a puddy tat?

In fact, it was originally "tought", then "taught", now "taut". Possibly derived from the same root as "tough".

I am a proud spelling reactionary... but actually, in this case I think one must admit I am being quite moderate.

Come to think about it, chickens spell very badly...and their handwriting is execrable. I believe all spelling purist should go pick on chickens and leave us spellcheck Luddites alone?:0)

Sniff, whimper...I am so alone...

kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
2:26 AM

Post #7450235

All chickens come from a Pheasant that came from the jungle, the Red and Green Jungle Fowl. Game chickens have been breed for hundreds of years for one thing, fighting. I live in Texas and the last three states to outlaw cock-fighting was New Mexico, Oklahoma and Louisiana. So it was just across the state line or down to Mexico and it was legal. Now that cock-fighting is illegal in every state there is a lot less game chicken being raised around here. I truly love the breed. They are so beautiful, the hens are great brood mamas, and stray dogs have a hard time catching and killing them. They can fly up to a tree before a dog even knows they are there. I used them for years to hatch my peafowl but switched to Phoenix years ago because I could not sell the chicks to anyone but cock-fighters. I will never forget the time I had a car full of grubby guys pull up and get out of a car with a beer in hand, on a Sunday morning to buy some of my chickens. They asked me if I wanted a beer and I replied I never drink beer until after 9AM. That was when Maggi said, the game chickens had to go. Phoenix look a lot like game chickens, except they have a long tail, white ear lobes and they are not good fighters.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 11, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #7452918

Actually Catscan I am an activist advocating the return of the old free-form spelling. If it were not for spell check I'd be incomprehensible. I do find it amusing what you can slip past. Spellcheck (that failed) will let me write doe snot when I mean does not and not make a whimper.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 11, 2010
10:58 PM

Post #7453109

OK, so how will a feral rooster adapt to a little cage? I think I have the spot for it, but I'll walk by every day. I think I'll put shadecloth over the chicken wire, so as to maybe not frighten him so much. I hope he doesn't bash and batter his beautiful plumage. But I think he will...

I'm calling 8X8 feet, 8 feet tall a little cage.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

January 11, 2010
11:28 PM

Post #7453204

Give him a place to hide and throw out food everytime you walk by?
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 11, 2010
11:38 PM

Post #7453227

Oh, he'll have a dark roosting box up in a corner. I'll see if I can get a bright pan to feed him. Can they tell that you're putting food for them?
Catscan
Lodi
United States

January 12, 2010
12:53 AM

Post #7453473

They are amazingly clever about noticing from where (or whom) their food comes.
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
1:14 AM

Post #7453541

Once they have been handled, Game chickens tame down quiet well and love treats, cat food. They have been fought for hundreds of years, which means they have been handled regularly. Someone must tie on the razor blades and gaffs they use to fight with. The hens are wilder than the cock, most times.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 12, 2010
1:18 AM

Post #7453556

Whew! Thanks for that, Ken and Cat! I've been really worried.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 12, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #7454286

Your cage sounds ideal for the job. Let he adventure begin!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 12, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7454434

well, I need to buy the lumber and and and...

Sorry to be taking so long!

Other chickiees, the TopDawg rooster and his hens... most of the roos are colored like this one. The hens, most are brown, but a few are black with grey legs. The fighters all have bright yellow legs. I haven't seen a roo with black legs...

How many hens should I catch? They're lousy for eggs! I bet twenty a year. And should I try to move the setting hen that's in my yard, into this fabulous chicken hotel once I get it made?
(ha, ok, get car inspected, and buy 2X4s...)

Thumbnail by Molamola

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 12, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7454435

hey, I need new photos...
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7455524

In my experience game hens lay exceptionally well! They're only flaw is they quit laying early in late summer. They also go broody early.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 12, 2010
10:23 PM

Post #7456351

Boy, some of these hens are SO amusing to watch when they come off their nest to grab a bite! I'll move the car day-after-tomorrow to the side of the driveway, and see if I can get a you tube of their shenannigans. Stretching, fluffing feathers, trying to flop around in dust and pecking at ants at the same time. So cute!

I'd do it tomorrow, but must run errands and get car inspected...
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
11:12 PM

Post #7456516

Game hens will lay 10 to 18 eggs and then want to sit, then start all over again. I had a Miner Blue hen that someone let me borrow for a season, if I would give him back most of the young stags. I hatched 150 chicks from that one hen. She would lay a clutch and then start setting, I would steal the eggs and put in a bator and she would start laying again.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 12, 2010
11:35 PM

Post #7456590

wow, that many.

The hens come down of the woods with just a few, usually three to six. I did see a hen in town with more than twenty.
LoreenH
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2010
12:45 AM

Post #7456785

I've been wanting to post this since I first saw the subject and have been holding back until now...couldn't you use wild rice and wild oats to catch the wild chickens? Sorry, very silly I know, but that popped into my head as soon as this thread was first posted. I had maybe 3 hours sleep last night and tend to be very silly when tired...I better go to bed now...night all.
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2010
2:18 AM

Post #7457024

Oh LoreenH, that's just the west coast wild flower child coming out in you.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 13, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #7457551

Kenboy, I don't know ???Loreens into duck's, ya know like (daffy duck)LOL.Hay
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 13, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7457646

LOL, Loreen! Should I cook the rice that you're sending me, and sprout the oats? Thank you so much for all the chicken feed! It's expensive here...

Qvack!
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7461649

Maybe those hens aren't laying so well because they are older? Egg production drops off as the hen ages.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 14, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7461673

Their eggs may also be being stolen by predators. The woods in the photo look like a wildlife haven.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 14, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7461681

All except three are less than a year old.

Nest pictured is the first eggs from this little brown hen. Maybe more eggs with more feed?

Blurry but cute...

Thumbnail by Molamola

porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 14, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7461695

Such a sad little nest. They need you!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 14, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7461698

mmm, iguanas, feral cats and stray dogs occasionally. Not much else.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 14, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7461703

Isn't that something! rocks on one side. I REALLY feel sorry for all of them when we have a lot of rain.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #7461770

What about rats and mongoose? There sure were a lot of them on St. Thomas when I was there.

I'm sure a less stressful life would lead to greater egg production.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 14, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7461820

I've seen Mongooses(?) nearby, but not here. And there was one small rat, but the cat enjoyed him.

I'm trying to figure which hens to catch for the roo. There are so many! I guess I shouldn't catch them that are in the middle of nesting? Really easy to recognize them! They put on such a show when they do show up for a quick meal, while they're doing calisthenics.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7461890

Mongoosi? Mongeese? =0)

Must get pretty stiff just sitting on lumpy ol' eggs... my lumpy ol' mattress sure makes me ache. LOL
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 14, 2010
11:31 PM

Post #7462481

Molamola: Have you captured the rooster yet??? Hay
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 14, 2010
11:40 PM

Post #7462521

LOL, I am not a real go-getter. I do want the chicken yard made first, and will show photos of it and then with Gorgeous George confined.

If I do put him in there, could I let him out after a couple of weeks to wander-- would he come back?

And ALL the ladies dislike him, would they change their minds if stuck in a small pen with him? hahaha. Nothing of the sort would change MY mind, but then I am not a chicken.
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2010
2:27 AM

Post #7463023

Game hens do not start laying until the days start getting longer.

Phoenix;

Thumbnail by kenboy

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 15, 2010
2:49 AM

Post #7463082

Molamola, Man up and go get that rooster or I'm gonna change your name to Molafula, you know fula-baloney. Now go get that rooster...LOL.Hay.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 15, 2010
2:51 AM

Post #7463087

Beautiful birds there!

The chickens here have been setting now and then, all along. I guess they're "Day Neutral"?

Days are at shortest, eleven hours, and longest thirteen hours. There have been two generations of chickens in this bunch of chickens in one year, and I expect to start seeing newly hatched chicks very soon. From both older hens, and first time layers.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 15, 2010
2:53 AM

Post #7463092

Hay, where do you suggest I keep him, in the back seat of my car?
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 15, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #7463100

Molamola look what's on my hat, if I can tame that you can tame that roo.

Thumbnail by Haystack

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 15, 2010
3:02 AM

Post #7463119

Hey Molamola, I'm just having fun with ya pal. Have a great evening. Thats a great idea Molamola, in the car. That'll work...LOL Hay.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 15, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #7463334

Great cap accessory, Hay, definitely a designer touch.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #7463371

Love the hat and accessories Hay
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 15, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7464070

Funny!!!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 15, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7464486

Raining here, off and on. I felt sorry for the little hen out behind the house in that weedy spot, so chilly and getting dripped on by big drops off the trees above.. Got an old window screen that I'd saved out of the trash bin, wrapped it in a piece of plastic that I saved from a new mattress.

She didn't run away when I slowly propped it over her.

Going to a Help Haiti drive tonight, they're collecting tents, food and water.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 15, 2010
10:36 PM

Post #7465274

2 good deeds in one day. I feel like an underachiever.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 15, 2010
10:51 PM

Post #7465307

I'm so confused. If you have a warm snuggly coop, why won't the chickens just move in?
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 15, 2010
10:54 PM

Post #7465323

Sometimes things come and get you.

Haitians are my neighbors. The radio has begun including their weather forecast when they tell ours. I haven't been there, but I have known Haiti and and they're industrious and honest. sigh. Their troubles are just beginning.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 15, 2010
10:55 PM

Post #7465325

I don't have a coop. Need to build one, but am a carpentry klutz...
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 15, 2010
11:28 PM

Post #7465399

ahhhhhh me too. I make good mud pies though ^_^
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2010
1:06 AM

Post #7465619

I've been thinking a lot about the Haiti situation too, MM. You are right, their troubles are just beginning; I was looking at before and after pictures on the web today... it's impossible to imagine what it would be like to be surrounded by such devastation, such loss of life. =o(

Did you feel the anything from the earthquake where you are?
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2010
1:09 AM

Post #7465632

I am hoping your drive is going well, that country needs all the help it can get.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 16, 2010
2:43 AM

Post #7465879

We get from 150 to 300+ earthquakes a month in this area, and they occasionally remind us a big one is overdue. wowee. Didn't feel this one.

Seems money is the thing to send at this point. Here's a blog by someone who's been there for seven years, on a clean drinking water effort. They have trips to visit, and perhaps in the near future, trips to help somehow. There's an exodus going on right now, many leaving the wrecked city.

http://rollingsinhaiti.wordpress.com/

chilly, rainy and windy here tonight. I'm having to limit my exposure to the Haitian tragedy, I'll get too sad.

On a brighter note, are there enough roos?

Thumbnail by Molamola

LoreenH
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2010
2:49 AM

Post #7465898

Oh wow! They sure are pretty!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 16, 2010
2:55 AM

Post #7465912

And then here comes Gorgeous George, all by himself. Nobody likes him, he's never had a hen friend. Poor George!

Edit: there is the little hen that's nesting behind the house, but she snarled at George, and he left her alone.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2010 10:57 PM

Thumbnail by Molamola

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 16, 2010
3:01 AM

Post #7465925

These chickens are all over the Island. I would like to skin them for their feathers, but what would I do with a bunch of chicken feathers? And yes, too pretty and MUCH to scrawny for the pot, but I'm going to try... maybe. I'll start with getting 2X4's to build a pen for George...
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7467286

If you can get that close to the hen, you might be able to catch her, get the eggs and put her somewhere che can't get out. The roos might come to her eventually,
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 16, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7467321

LOL, ALL the roos? Squalkkkk!
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7467337

well, maybe not ALL the roos!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 16, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #7467979

She came back!!! ...She came back!!

I have been SO upset, and miserable about the Haiti thing.

Remember, I felt sorry for Little Hennie, out there in the weeds, in the rain, and I put a bit of a roof over her?

I didn't "share" what I found, the nest empty, with just a few bits of eggshell. Boo hoo. I tend to keep misery to myself. I have given money several times, and will give more to Haiti...

I just went to look, and she's back! whee, Now I MUST build a coop of sorts. I am a sixty-something old woman who despises saws and lumber and all that, but I WILL get built a coop and home for Gorgeous George and Hennie.

This is so nuts.

Am I OK?? or should I make a reservation at the place with padded rooms?
Catscan
Lodi
United States

January 16, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7468000

Okay?

Well, let's just say you have found the right forum and if you book a reservation, see if you can get a group rate...
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 16, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #7468047

They guys with the nets have to catch us first ^_^
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 16, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #7468055

No, no, we're fine. It's all those OTHERS out there that are weird.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
10:26 PM

Post #7468103

I think GG will come to about any shelter if he has food to eat in there. I don't think he will adapt to captivity well at all and will either stop eating and die or beat himself to death against the sides of the pen. The other roosters will see him as a trapped victim and attack him thru the wire.

The best way to get some of these chickens is to rob a nest just before they are due to hatch and have something to incubate/hatch them in or have just hatched and raise them as pets. Then they will never have known the wild and will be much more domestic. You may also be able to set a cage over the hen and her nest, feed and water her until the chicks hatch and maybe let her raise them for you until you can get a proper run made for however many you want. Remember that over 50% of most hatches are roosters.

When I was your age and younger I tried things like you are contemplating. I look back on those days with wonderful memories. I pray you are successful in getting a chicken for a pet. They do make wonderful pets. Personally I like banties.

I have a neighbor who raised this kind of chicken just because they are pretty. The hens were very protective of the nest and eggs. Would attack in a second if they heard a chick screaming.

I'll be watching this thread to see the developments. GOD bless and keep each of you.
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2010
11:27 PM

Post #7468243

These are not wild chickens, they domestic chickens that have gone feral. If you can catch any of these birds they will do fine in a pen. They may not eat out of your hand but will be fine.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 16, 2010
11:57 PM

Post #7468308

Amazing!

We shall see what follows. I enlisted a man's help to biuld coop. So, the story continues!

Donno about taming a 14 month old roo...

Leaflady, I have no idea where their nests are, and actulally, I'd much rather have Silver Laced Wyandottes.

Will update As the World Turns!

(leaflady? I am 63, still a kid!!)
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7468332

I have a few years on you. Were it not for lots of spinal problems, COPD, 3 cardiac problems, and fibro I'd be ok.

I hope you get some chickens out of this experiment. Glad you got some help.

GOD bless and keep each of you.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

January 17, 2010
12:37 AM

Post #7468422

Very weird, porkpal...but there are so many of them...
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
12:50 AM

Post #7468468

molamola, you could always fashion something temporary out of PVC if you need to, PVC is easy to work with, and your netting would attach with zip ties.

I went to your friends Blog this morning, and read and read... my heart just breaks for all of those affected. I just can't imagine such destruction and devastation.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 17, 2010
12:59 AM

Post #7468495

I am trying to give myself my life for many hours a day. At first, I was immersed in shared misery. We can give money, which is the best gift at the moment.

What's next? whoa.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 17, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #7469742

Yes, Catscan; we must stick together. Mutual admiration society - all for the common defense.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 17, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7470296

Oboy, didn't get a photo, but a hen showed up with two teenie tiny newly hatched biddies. They are having a tough time trying to get back up that rocky slope!

Oh, and there's George now, all soggy wet in the rain showers, poor baby! They do look as bad as wet cats when they're wet.

I decided to not get that man to help. He said OK, but he looked very angry and upset, another weirdo!!!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 17, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7470417

Chickeners of the world unite!
Catscan
Lodi
United States

January 17, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7470688

Right on, porkpal!

Chickenheads unite!

You have nothing to lose but your furtive raising of endangered poultry in urban and suburban neighborhoods!

We are an oppressed minority now, but come the revolution, there will be a chicken in every yard.

Guineas for the masses!

Perhaps we should form a union with our small livestock brethren?
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7472064

QUACK QUACK
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 18, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7472676

B-GAHH!!

bk-bk-bk-bk

B-GAHH!!

bk-bk-bk-bk-bk-
LoreenH
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7473061

Meow...meow...purrrrr. We only have 2 cats for now, hopefully duckies in a couple months.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 18, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7473308

tumble
tumble
tumble
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7473687

Try the Call ducks. They are very small, so less of a mess, they come in many many colors and they are just cute.

Thumbnail by kenboy

kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7473694

Here is what some of them will look like when they grow up;

Thumbnail by kenboy

kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7473714

And here is what the Phoenix chickens I have look like. The cock in this picture is a Blue. This picture was taken early in the year, last year his tail was over six feet.

Thumbnail by kenboy

porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 18, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7473843

Now if Haystack had a Phoenix for his hat ornament/accessary he'd really be stylin'.

The call ducks look like toys - seriously cute!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 18, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #7473850

I was visiting folks on their boat once. We got into naming boat/dinghy. When it got to animal names, we almost hurt ourselves--- Big Brown Cow, dinghy, MooMoo. Red Rooster, cockadoodle De Dooo, and etc. duck, cat, doggie, and etc...

hmm, I guess you had to be there...
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 31, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7516058

Please forgive me Molamola, Don't even ask me what I was thinking? For some crazy reason I thought I was talking to a guy, and that was why I said "Man Up" It never dawned to my dense brain that I was talking to a lady. My ignorance showing through again. Lesson learned...Sheeesh. I so hope you can come up with a house for your feathered friends. Hay.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 31, 2010
11:18 PM

Post #7516572

Oh, gee, I missed that. Yes, I am an old woman who fears and dreads hammers and saws and those 'blue' things. Men make carpentry look so easy!!!

Yes, I just need to 'man up' and go buy some 2X4's. ugh ugh ugh!!!!

and ugh!

Edit: I am beginning to believe I suffer Asperger's syndrome, a social idiot.

-----Absolutely no problem, Hay!-----

This message was edited Jan 31, 2010 7:22 PM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 31, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #7516637

Carpentry can be quite fun, gives you a real feeling of accomplishment when it's done, and no one dies if you get it wrong.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 31, 2010
11:47 PM

Post #7516651

Akk, my carpentry always wobbles, and I get splinters, a guy's job!!!!

hahaha
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 31, 2010
11:48 PM

Post #7516656

I can sew, I can cook, and I'm learning how to clean house. I had to help Daddy when I was a kid. If I ever touch a barbed wire fence again, I'll just pass out from misery! haha, and a chainsaw, too.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7517628

I am the one who is teaching Billy how to mend fences, take care of animals, fix and clean pens, and how to hammer when it is needed. I bought him a black and decker kids toys when he was two, and when we are fixing something, he has his tool belt on and his plastic tools in it..

PS he also has his own shovel, hoe, rake, hand shovel, hand claw (for the garden, just cant remember what it is) and his own Broom...
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7517921

I used to be a tough guy, so the men could sit and watch movies?

I am a scuba diver. An eye opener was when one day, I'd dragged three tanks into the shop to be filled. They weigh 35 lbs. each. not all that much, really. While I was chatting at the cash register, a girl dressed prettily in a full feminine skirt and low heels made a show of struggling to open the door and pull one tank in. Both guys jumped up like there was a fire and rushed to help her. I was amazed! They hadn't done more than look up when I came in the door. Hmm, I was wearing shorts and a Tshirt. hmmm.

But now I have reached my sixties, and I really need assistance occasionally. I hate the silliness, but I am considering that I should begin wearing frilly clothes and (one inch) heels.

Good for Billy! If he balks at helping with dinner, just ask if he wants to be dependent on a woman all his life. I know, that's counter to what I've just been saying.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7518211

I want Billy to be a good man, and that means opening the door for people, helping them with what they need help with and manners. I know that the lessons I am teaching him now will last a lifetime... One of his favorite things is whipping eggs, which he is becoming a pro at... Itsw CMoxon's idea, well the flan recipie is hers, and its mine to have him help. He gets his chair and helps with dishes and such in the kitchen too...
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7518312

He'll be an amazing and very unusual man!
LoreenH
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #7518439

I am very fortunate to have an amazing and very unusual man! I didn't have any part in it either, his aunt did most of his raising. Even though we've been married 15 years he still excuses himself when he leaves the table, he has other good mannerisms as well. Keep up the good work MissJ and you'll have one fine young man you'll be proud of (not like you're not already).
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7518562

There are a number of 'old' guys here that don't have a clue. They're lonesome, but impossible to get along with! No manners, totally self concerned. If I try to talk to them, they make me feel like a piece of furniture. ( 'Old' being 45 years older than a child.)

Owell! lol

Poor settie hen came out of the woods to grab a bite, and two roosters were bugging her. A hen sure can puff up like a turkey, hey? I gotta get that pot heated up...
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2010
1:39 AM

Post #7520417

The 4 children i babysit, 3 are boys. they are raised from the time they can walk to have manners. that includes opening doors for ladies, carrying groceries, cooking, doing dishes & whatever else we think they need to know. We took everything we hated about the guys in my school & we made sure these don't act that way. They say yes mam, no mam. They will escort you thru a dark yard to your car (tho i have to escort the 4 yo back to the door then run to my car), they will hold your hand to cross a street to protect you, they will let you enter a door slightly ahead of them. They don't need to think women are a door post but they do need to know how to treat them with respect, love & equality in certain things. (not all things) i'm thrill to hear that someone else is teaching manners to a little boy MissJestr Its rare of to hear anymore.
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7522230

That's a very needed thing in today's society! Keep up the good work!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7525897

Yes we are rare, but just think of the young people that we will shape to become productive adults... WHOOO HOOOO

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America