Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: January Weather - Part # 2

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 221, Views: 1,242
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2010
11:33 PM

Post #7443431

New thread. Maybe this cold weather is coming to an end.
Our weather liar claimed we are going to be done with it by Sunday & also this was the coldest we will see this season.
Bernie

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2010
11:52 PM

Post #7443486

Finally got the doors on our bathroom cabinets.
Vanity.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2010
11:53 PM

Post #7443492

Linen Closet.
Very hard to get good pictures in a small room.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2010
12:13 AM

Post #7443565

It now 7* and later on will be windy chill -12...

I still alive and stay warm! I let my central heater cranky up to 68* and room is normal is 70*... I still sleep in living room on couch! lol...

Rusty and JuJu fight over the rubber balls! (green for JuJu and blue for Rusty)...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2010
12:39 AM

Post #7443673

Here's the weather warning:

http://www.weather.gov/alerts-beta/wwacapget.php?x=MO20100108205600SGFWindChillAdvisorySGF20100109220000MO

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7444838

Good morning!

Most of the snow has melted overnight. It's currently mostly cloudy, 46F/ 6C (feels like 34F / 1C) ... wind from the S at 22 mph / 35 kmh ... sunrise is at 11:08 and sunset after 4 pm finally at 4:02 :-) The days are getting longer, slowly but surely.

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes ... I really don't have a plan B, I'm just determined to get this job... which I really don't know what will be ... it's my former employer (the only pharmaceutical company in Iceland). My former superviser put in a good word for me with the human resource person, so she's going to see what she can find.

Joey - thanks! Beautiful photo! :-)

Bernie - the cabinets look great :-) I'm always so impressed with your work ... so good you have plenty to do :-)

Mau - poor Friday - hope he's feeling better. He's such a handsome dog :-) Great photo :-)

Rusty - cute photos of the dogs ... hope it warms up soon there !

Hi to everyone I missed! Hope you all have a great day :-)

A photo from last Tuesday ...

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #7444918

Good Morning! It's getting light outside...
Snow: 18F
Feels like: 7F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 9
Humidity: 67%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 9 mph NW
Sunrise: 7:38 AM
Sunset: 5:23 PM
UV Index: 0 Low
We're still under a wind chill advisory...BITTER WIND CHILLS AND ACCUMULATING SNOW CONTINUE TODAY... WITH UP TO 2 (more) INCHES POSSIBLE

Rann, Thanks, That is so great that some one is trying to help you in your 'quest'! :D I absolutly Love the pic of the church! Wow!
Bernie, Even if the roo is small...your talent shines thru! :D Great Job!
Ric, How are the fishies doin? The guys (at work) were testing out a new proto type for a pond heater yesterday. It will run until the end of next week... I was hoping they would put it on the big pond where the fish are, but the test calls for no fish, just incase there is an electrical malfunction. LOL! It looks like a big green dough nut! :D
Kiska, Glad someone (GS) has cleaned off your eaves & did it safely. I know it was worrying you...it would have worried me as well. It will certainly be a 'weather shock' to you when you get back home! But it will be home. Looks like Frank is keeping busy! :D
Mau, What a great pic of Friday. :D He poses so nicely! I can't get Jack to sit still! :D Maybe on of these years he will slow down enough! ;)
Celia, I meant to tell you ...I love the old muscle cars. I used to have a '71 Chevelle (like the one in your pic), but it was nutmeg brown w/ white stipes, M60's on the rear & DH put a high performance clutch on it...LOL! It took both of My feet to push the clutch in! :D I must have looked really funny driving it! :D Late I got a '78 Camaro that I could change the gears in w/out using the clutch...a true dream! A good raing machine! ;) Now that I look back on it...I wasn't very smart! LOL! :D Is this where 'young & dumb' comes into play? LOL!
Sharon, You're staying gone too long!
BP, are you snowed in?

Well...gotta go up to Wally World for 'stuff'.

Have a great day! All!
Joey

(another pic from before Christmas, we had trouble keeping the heat pump uncovered)

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #7445024

Bernie: thanks for the new thread. Good looking cabinets! Sure beats masonite!! LOL
kiska: I'm sure that was a relief to you to know that your grandson took care of that ice overhang problem for you. :o))
Rusty: My little Friday has a ball like JuJu and Rusty--only his is red. They are called "holee rollers" LOL
Rann: it still doesn't "compute" that Iceland is currently warmer than Arkansas!! The weather liars are saying we will be warming up to the high 30's tomorrow! Hooray(if true)!! Your winter photos belong on a calendar--beautiful!
Joey: electrocuted fish would not be good! LOL edited to add: Joey, do heat pumps work very well in your part of the country?? Here in Arkansas, we have found them not to be very efficient when the temps drop below freezing.

It was 16*F on my backporch at 6 a.m. today.
# Today: Sunny. Cold. High 26F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Very cold. Low around 10F. Winds light and variable.
# Tomorrow: Mainly sunny. High 36F. (HOORAY!!) Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.

Something to remind us of warmer days.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2010 7:50 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 9, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #7445054

Sunshine. Clear sky.

As slow as this thread was last night, I thought everyone froze!
Weather said it is 15 to 20 degrees below normal everywhere today. Brrr!

Later.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #7445086

Mine until 4 pm today end of cold blast! I hope it...

It now 5* ... Light snow...

This message was edited Jan 9, 2010 8:08 AM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7445171

We are so cold it's not funny! Brrr! Snow flurries in the Orlando and Gainesville area. There is a 30% chance of flurries here tomorrow. It would be nice to have something to show for 8 days of freezing weather.

30.4 F
Overcast
Windchill: 30 F
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 7 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.27 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 9500 ft
Overcast 13000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

We've warmed up some since I've been up. We were at 27.4*. I think I'm getting bursitis in my knees. The pain has been pretty intense since this super cold weather moved in.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7445202

Thanks Joey and Mau :-)

Kiska - I forgot to say earlier that I'm glad your GS could take care of the "hangover" problem ;-) Looks like a lot of work on your daughters place ... it's beautiful there :-)

Rann

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 9, 2010
10:33 PM

Post #7446696

Bernie, thanks for the new thread! Love the furniture you made!
Rann, great picture of the moon and church! And good news about the job...I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Rusty, such a sweet picture...keep them coming!
Sharon, I can't believe how cold you have!
Joey, did you make a snowman for JW?
E_B, what a great idea for our doggie to be a movie star!LOL

It's been very warm today, 50 at noon and sunny. So warm that snowdrops popped up!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2010
11:55 PM

Post #7446942

Sharon: sorry about the bursitis--hopefully it will go away when things warm up.

50F in Romania--a regular heat wave!! LOL It didn't get above 25F here all day. :o(( Snowdrops already--how nice, Adina!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2010
12:02 AM

Post #7446970

Before cabinet doors.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2010
12:03 AM

Post #7446979

New doors, same cabinets.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2010
2:38 AM

Post #7447440

It's freezing cold here and my 4WD still isn't fixed. lol. But my oil has been changed and I think antifreeze was added. My wiper blades were changed too. The one on the passenger side was chewed up so the other one was moved down and then the new one was put on.

I'd say we are in the single digits again now and there's not much of a breeze.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2010
2:52 AM

Post #7447480

13* here this AM. It doesn't seem possible it can be colder in TX then Iceland. I can't believe none of the pipes broke.
Lisa
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #7447547

Here's a snow pic from the other day. I'm facing west and I-70 is on my right. The wind was still blowing pretty good and covering the roads up again. We have piles of snow that are over 10 feet high on some roads due to having to clear off drifts. This area in the pic has no trees or buildings around to block the wind.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
4:03 AM

Post #7447675

Bernie that's nice work on the doors!
HUGE change and all for the better.

Rann THAT is a contest shot for sure!

Pepper those roads are absolutely no fun!

Joey you all have a ton of snow too... ours is just a dusting compared to many of you.

Adina our Snowdrops are happily sleeping... as I hope the fishes are...

7 here currently...
Looks like Tuesday now before we hit freezing... the weather liars keep backing the day off...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #7447884

-5F this evening under clear star-filled skies. We had plenty of sunshine here today for the first time in what seems like weeks. We had a few inches of super light fluffy snow fall last night but nothing today. I took the snow blower up to the in-laws and cleared a ton of snow that had built up over the past week.

rann...Love that church photo. I hope you get the job!

Bernie...Nice kitchen face lift!

photo: Everything around here is coated with a layer of ice. It was beautiful with the sun shining.

Early_Bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7447887

One more...

early_bloomer

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #7448070

Dark - clear - 18 - thankfully calm, not much wind. The hot water line to the kitchen froze night before last, started running again yesterday afternoon.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7448315

Good morning! It's chilly again here this morning. Tonight should be our last night below freezing for a while. It is very unusual for a cold snap to last this long here. ("Long" = 4 days... we are such wusses!!! LOL)

I hear there was an earthquake in northern California. Eek!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (35 min ago)
Temperature 20 F -7 C
Dew Point 17 F -8 C
Humidity 88%
Pressure 30.70 in 1039.6 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 21.9F / -5.6C

Today Sunny. Highs in the upper 40s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Lowest wind chill readings 11 to 21 in the morning.
Tonight Clear. Lows in the mid 20s. East winds around 5 mph.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7448428

Here's a link to the Earthquake
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-eureka-quake10-2010jan10,0,4204701.story?track=rss

e_b Nice!
I love shooting ice!

Marylyn glad the cold is stopping down there!!!!
We can't warm up as long as the southern winds keep bringing that stuff back up here! lol!

Temps dipped to 6 before rising overnight.
It was 10 when I got up 14 currently...
We are on the rise!!!
Looks like we'll break freezing Tues. low 40's by Thurs!

So far the Black Bamboos seem to be handling the transplant and the cold just fine.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7448510

Bernie: Nice cabinet doors--what a difference in the before and after.
Lisa: welcome--come back anytime!
Pepper: your shot of the snow-swept road looks like it could be some where in the Kansas plains. Joey sent me an email with tips for winter driving. One of them included wiping your wiper blades with rubbing alcohol--it keeps them from dragging on the windshield. I'm going to try that and see if it works.
Marylyn: Wow, that was some earthquake! I had not heard about it--didn't really tune in the news yesterday. Good thing it wasn't in a heavily populated area!
EB: your photos belong on a calendar, too! I would definitely put that first photo on a page for January! LOL
Ric: I hope your fishes are sleeping nicely under all that snow and ice.

It was 16F on my back porch at around 6:30 a.m. It is currently approx. 26F but the Weather Channel says the wind chill is 17F. We are heading for a high in the mid-30's, so they say. Abundant sunshine--no snow or ice.

One of my poinsettias--which are currently residing in my whirlpool tub under a glass block window which gives them ample light.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7448517

This is the other poinsettia--it has lighter green leaves and a softer shade of red leaves than the one in the photo above.

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7448876

Pretty Mau!!

Well I just got inside from cleaning off the Satellite Dish .
Not bad. 18
The Sun has come peeking out... no heat to it but it makes it seem warmer... LOL!

Off to the store while I'm bundled up.

It will be a while before we see the table tops..
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7448999

Howdy Do Everyone!!

We've had below 0 temps all week with 9 - this morn. I go out and feed the birds, squirrels and fill the electric dog dish with water. Then I'm in for the day.

I've been learning all I can about computers before we order new ones. (We've been using a Gateway for 10 years now and are totally ignorant of all the changes over the years.) We need to go look at a few, ask questions, do a final research and then we'll order. We found that DH gets and percentage off Dell thru his workplace, so Dell it will be. I hope we can use the new one's another 10 years, but I doubt it.

Bernie, nice vanity and doors! The blue walls go well with the browns. I'd love to have that bathroom!

Rusty, I missed the renaming of the pup. JuJu is a good name! Also an adorable picture! It's been hard to stay warm this last week. I'm glad you're doing OK!

Rann, I hope you get your job. That will go a long way to helping the girls feel alright with the changes in their life. It will help you get your life in order too. (I just said a prayer for you.) What a beautiful moonrise over the church.

Joey, it's been so long! I'm snowed, but we were out at 4:00 am pushing snow as soon as we got a few inches. We had snow two days in a row and about 8'' total. That's a lot for us. The weather was nice while it was snowing. I realized the first day, I had been out in my flannel jammie pants pushing snow. With no thermals either. Laughing, I thought you took a black and white picture till I saw the red on the meter. Yep, you got snow!!

Marsue, a lovely bloom to remind us Spring is not too far away!

Sharon, I saw your temps on the tv weather and remembered you saying you love the cold weather. I wondered then, how cold you really liked it :o) I'm sorry about the painful knees. Get some of the heat wraps. They really heat up and feel good!

Adina, what a wonderful picture!! I never have gotten any snowdrops planted, but they look mighty good right now!

Bernie, a magical transformation on the cabinets!!

Pepper, hope you get your truck fixed! Wow, you are out in the open. At least you can see the yellow line. That's what is covered on our highways.

Hi Lisa! You're new since I've been away.

Ric, I hope the fishies are sleeping too :o) You have just enough snow to look pretty. I've noticed how clean and white the snow is this year. I even ate some!

Early, lovely pictures!! It's hard to do justice to the ice thru the camera. I especially like the blue sky! And nothing walked across the snow either. Just a pure picture!

Dyson, bummer on the water freezing. Good thing the pipe didn't bust.

Marylyn, if I lived in a warm state I would be a wuss too!

Marsue, beautiful poinsettas!

Ric, I think we all got the diamond snow. Your's seems to have eyes :o)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7449036

31.2 F
Haze
Windchill: 31 F
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 19 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.50 in (Falling)
Visibility: 3.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 10, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7449160

I'm far behind so I kind of skimmed everything since Tues or Wed. I have the flu and haven't even gotten on the computer for three days. (You guys didn't want to hear about temps in the mid 70s anyways, right?) I'm still dragging but at least I don't feel the need to sleep 16 hours a day now. Like Isis, I still spend most of the time laying around, though. I still have all the Christmas decorations to put away yet. Ugh. I can't even have DH do it because he doesn't know what boxes things go into. we don't have a live tree, so there is no fire hazard or big mess.

Chance of rain on Wednesday. Maybe now that all of the bowl games are over, the weather can get down to brass tacks. I swear, the chambers of commerce must have a pact with the devil when it comes to weather during national events. ;-)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PST on January 10, 2010
71 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 31 F
Wind: 8 mph from the NNE

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 10, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7449231

Still warm here, 51, but cloudy and it rained a bit.
Ric, I hope the fish are sleeping under all that snow!
E_B, great pics, wow!
Kelli, glad you are feeling better.Get well soon! I heard about an earthquake in CA. Did you feel it?
Sally, good to hear from you! New computers, great!
Mau, pretty poinsettias! I brought some of mine into the kitchen where it's colder.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 10, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7449271

No, didn't feel the earthquake here. That was too far away.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #7449383

I don't feel "new". I've been watching this forum and threads but when our weather got so cold I HAD to put my 2 cents in.
Kelli-Just got back from Granada Hills a week ago, I thought it was cold there but man was I wrong.
To see the conditions in Romania and Iceland (the 2 places on the top of my "bucket list" to visit) is so interesting.
Are there any special "rules" that I'm supposed to follow, besides just interrupting?
Lisa
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 10, 2010
11:17 PM

Post #7449750

Welcome, Lisa. Nope, no rules. They let me in and I don't even have "weather" most of the time.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on January 10, 2010
76 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 19%
Wind: 10 mph from the North

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2010
12:03 AM

Post #7449874

Ric: "Not bad" at 18F!!!??? are you kidding me??
BP: good to see you posting. I haven't spent much time outside either in all this cold weather. I only go outside when Friday has to go out because I have to put him on a leash since my back yard isn't fenced. I have been bundling up like an eskimo and only stay out long enough for Friday to take care of his business.
Celia: uh, oh--Monty's relaxation techniques aren't working--his eyes are open!! LOL
Kelli, sorry you've had the flu but glad that you are feeling better now. and yes, I did want to hear about 70F--it would have made me feel a lot warmer!! LOL

Well, there is one rule, Lisa--you have to like to "chat". LOL We do a lot of that around here and not necessarily about the weather. Kelli even started an international phenomenon--posting a short video taken on car trips. She and Rann (from Iceland) have both posted videos for us to see the scenery in their areas. I'm usually alone whenever I drive so I'm not able to make videos but I do snap photos from my car window and post those from time to time. glad that you decided to put in your 2 cents worth!

The weather liars have been at it again--they said we would get up to 38F today but they were wrong. It never went past 30F on my backporch! Currently 28F. and becoming Dyson dark.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
12:28 AM

Post #7449935

Well..according to WX we'll be 19* in the morning... :(
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 11, 2010
12:57 AM

Post #7450003

Yikes!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
1:09 AM

Post #7450038

23* and feels like 11*. I don't know what our high was but it felt a heck of alot better than it has for the last few days!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 11, 2010
1:15 AM

Post #7450058

High this afternoon was 22.
At about sunset it went down to 16, now it is back to 20.
Like pepper said, sure did feel better.
Spent the afternoon at DD house. SIL & DS put a door in the new addition & changed out their old front door for a spanking new one. It won't let the wind in like the old one.
I am going to start on the pantry job tomorrow. DS is making doors for the small kitchen. Cabinets for that job are in the paint room. We will spray them tomorrow, too.

Supposed to hit 32 on Wed. Whoopee!

Bernie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
1:23 AM

Post #7450076

We'll be in the 30s all week. Gonna feel great except for the snow turning into ice. lol

Here's a pic of my brother's new puppy. He's a cocker spaniel, all black, silky soft and named Diesel. lol. I want him for myself he's so cute!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2010
2:13 AM

Post #7450207

LOL! Diesel stains on the rug...
He's a cutie!

Lisa WELCOME!
Just JUMP right in.

Kelli glad you're feeling a bit better.
Take it easy.

Mau 18 in the Sun w/o Wind is actually a lot better than 30 cloudy and windy...lol!

We managed to hit 25 as a high... down to 17 now but we've picked up a SSW Wind so 0 WC.
But that SSW will be bringing a bit of warmth. We should hit the low 40's by Weds/Thurs..

Monty looks a lot like all of our animals... lap rugs... lol!

Hey BP!

Pretty Poinsettias everyone!
We didn't get or grow any this year...

Everybody try to stay warm!
Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7450654

Welcome, Lisa!!! As the others said there are no rules. Jump in anywhere. This a great and caring bunch of people from all over, as you may have noticed.

We had an extremely hazy day. They had the signs on the freeway asking people to limit their driving. Darrell and I went out to my SIL just north of us for dinner and the visibility was down to about 3 miles.

It's currently 26 and fog is rolling in.

Mau, Monty had to let mo know I was disturbing him with a pointed look. Stepping over him while he blocks the walkway is, apparently, not permitted. ^_^

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7450759

13F under a starry sky tonight. No snow again today but they are calling for some over the next 2 days. Last night (Sat. night) was the coldest of the winter with a low of -8F. It was mostly sunny and gorgeous this morning with an inch of real fluffy sparkling snow shining like diamonds.

Welcome Lisa!

Ric...I noticed in your earlier pics that the bamboo really looked green and fresh. I have a pot of bamboo that I never got planted last year. I need to find a place for it next spring.

Kelli...Hope you're feeling well soon. At least you were not affected by the earthquake.

Photo: Western Pa. winter farmland panorama.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7450762

One more...Snowy back road.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7450765

kwanjin...Monty is a cool looking cat. Here's a Photoshopped pic of our cat. He's named Kato but I call him Big Kitty.

early_bloomer

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #7450924

Good morning!

Still mild here ...39F/4 C feels like 32F / 0C ...wind from ENE at 10 mph / 16 km/h. Mostly Cloudy. Yesterday was similar slightly warmer, low 40's and practically calm. Really nice! :-) The girls and I took advantage of the weather and went for a walk ... the girls insisted on bringing Lotta rabbit along. Not sure she enjoyed it all that much ;-) lol We went to Reykjavik, there's a beautiful area around the salmon fishing river that runs through the city. The snow's all melted but the ice on the river was still pretty thick.

Lisa - welcome!

EB - more GORGEOUS photos! :-) Love them all! We never see ice covered trees overhere ... soooo pretty!:-)

Ric - hope the fish are alright! Glad you saw some sun :-)

Sharon - 19F!??! :-S That's pretty hard to believe. How far south do the freezing temps reach?

Pepper - What a cute pup! :-) Your photo earlier of the snow covered road looks really cold! Brrr!

Adina - Pretty snowdrops :-)

Celia - lol at Monty - he's king of the house ;-)

Kelli - sorry you've been sick. Hope you feel better soon. LOL on the "no weather" comment ...

Hi! to everyone I missed :-)

Thank you everyone for the well wishes ... Wednesday really can't come soon enough for me! lol

A photo from yesterday ...

Have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #7450927

The river Ellia ... it branches a bit upstream from this photo ... the island in the middle was planted with trees a long time ago which have grown into a nice forest ... a wonderful place for a walk :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7450932

Lotta sitting pretty :-)

Now I'm off to the pool and gym :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7450960

Mornin' Everybody! We have 2 more inches of snow in the forecast...for tonight.
Clear: 12F
Feels like: 12F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 10
Humidity: 92%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:37 AM
Sunset: 5:25 PM

Kelli, Hate that you have the flu, but am glad that you are getting over it!
Lisa! Welcome! :D
Mau, We'll see if the pond 'de-icer' works today...it's so ugly! They could have at least made it look like a lilly pad! LOL! :D
Ric, Hope you see the fishies soon! My sister says that since it's after the 1st of the year...she's ready for spring! LOL! I told her that it ain't over, yet! ;) The farmers almanac Says so! ;)
Sharon, Your still in the deep freeze! Hope you warm up soon!
Sally, Glad that you're stilll around! ;) Yeah, on the new computer! :D Yes, it's been pretty much black & white here since before Christmas!
Pepper, What an adorable puppy! :D And it looks very cold up (over) there!
E_B, Love your shots, but I really like the one of the road! :D Gorgeous farmland!
Adina, Great looking Poinsettias! I didn't have any this year either...
Celia, Monty is Sooooo relaxed! LOL! Cats can do that! ;) Glad that you can see the mountains! :D
Rann, What a great pic of the girls! And walking the bunny, too! How neat! Thanks for the scenery shot! Great! I love the wooded path. :D I will keep my fingers & toes crossed for as long as it takes. ;)

Well, must get ready for work (play).
Have a great day Everybody! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #7451153

Good morning, everyone!! We are considerably warmer this morning--a toasty 26F on my back porch this morning! LOL Supposed to make it up to 49F today!! Wow!!

Adina: I forgot to comment on your poinsettias--very pretty! I've never had a white poinsettia. I might consider buying one but my bathtub is already full of poinsettias--LOL

Sharon: hang on!! It will get warmer--eventually!!
Pepper: what a cute puppy! I had cocker spaniels when I was growing up. One was named Cinder better known as Cindy,,the other was named Nugget. They were both black.
Celia: Monty makes his own rules doesn't he?--and they all have to do with making his life the life of a King--LOL
EB: it's a regular winter wonderland up there. Beautiful to look at but glad I don't live up there. Guess it all depends on what you are accustomed to. Like Monty, Big Kitty is looking very regal. :o))
Rann: cute photos of the girls and Lotta. Nice shot of the river.
Joey: it's still cold where you are! In fact, it's still cold almost everywhere in the U.S.!!!

# Today: Sunshine and clouds mixed. High 49F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Some clouds. Low around 25F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

hibiscus from several months ago

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7451789

Lovely landscapes e_b!
Love the 'Shopped' Kitty!

Joey you guys certainly have more snow than us. Pretty!

Rann that's some pretty country!
I have to admit I never see anyone walking a rabbit.
Lotta does look cool in her pink though!

It's 25 and the temps actually went up last night as the clouds moved in.
We might be near 30 before the snow starts this afternoon/evening.
No warnings so I'm not expecting much... though maybe I should be expecting a foot or so... lol!
Low/Mid 40's by Thursday!!!!

If we get the snow I'll probably head to the local parks for some shots tomorrow.
We have to get our new permit anyway and it should be lovely.
Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7451899

EB, your kitty looks like he's King of the Roost, too! LOL

Rann, your girls and Lotta look like they had a great time! Hard to believe all your snow is gone and you're warmer than us.

Joey, have fun...ahem...working! LOL

24.8 F with 34 for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 25 F
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 18 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 30.54 in (Falling)
Visibility: 2.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 200 ft
(Above Ground Level)

El Capitolo Bloody Mary Hibiscus.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7451932

Mau - Thanks! Beautiful hibiscus :-) It's cold almost everywhere in Europe as well!

Joey - Thank you :-)

Another photo of Selma and Lotta in the woods :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7452011

I bet Lotta's ears were going a mile a minute! lol!

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 11, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #7452027

Raining here in Washington; guess it's why there's so many types of moss and lots of it, too. We fly home Thursday and will miss the mild weather here, but look forward to "real" winter in Alaska. Although, it seems real winter has hit everywhere but this area of Washington state.
Skimming, reading and looking at photos of snow from all over, is quite a sight.
kelli~get well soon.
rann-loved the photo of Selma and bunny; my daughter loved seeing it, too.
Too far behind, but wish you all a great week.
A school in Yelm, Washington. An overview of the area we are visiting.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 11, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7452035

crossed, ric. Lotta's got quite the good life~~

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7452257

Celia, Monty says he was here first and he's the king of all he surveys :o)

Kelli, sorry you got the flu. Glad you're able to drag around. I don't mind your 70's, it will be here soon enough!

Adina, the poinsettas look so cheerful. I hope someday to have a few plants in the house too, but right now I have cats.

Lisa, always glad to see a ''different'' face. An official welcome!

Marsue, we were lucky to have porch posts. We tied a rope with a clip on to one and left enough rope so the dog couldn't get tangled, but could get into the yard. Then we just reached out, grabbed it and clipped it on to her collar. When she wanted in, she came to the door, we let her in, unhooked her and put set back out by the door. No bundling, or dog getting loose before we got the clip on!

Sharon, I hope you warm up soon.

Pepper, I hear ya!

Bernie, how nice to build with family instead of just for family.

Aw Pep, he's beyond adorable! We had a buff and white female named Julie.

Hey Ric!

Early, absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the red barn, and what a great back road! That's some kitty :o)

Rann, glad you're having good weather! What a beautiful path to walk, and the girls are looking so grown up. Lotta looks like she's right at home. The river is on the move. I love Lotta's pink leash. She's so sweet. Have a happy day!

Joey, it's such a pretty snow. I swear, I think we all got the same storm. Have a good day at work!

Celia, oohhh, Bloody Mary is gorgeous!

Kiska, I understand wanting to get back to the real winter. It's comforting to be cozy inside while it's so cold out. Glad you're having good weather now tho.

22 and sunny. We're warming up all week.

Goodbye Christmas!

Thumbnail by billyporter

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7452320

Ric - Thanks. You can't really walk a rabbit ... if you put it down it just kind of sits there ... lol Selma carried her most of the way, she just put her down and let her sniff around in a few places ;-) lol The last part of the walk Selma put her inside her jacket to keep her warm because she was shivering ... either from cold or fright ... poor thing. She hasn't been very keen on going outside since we found her ... I think she's just perfectly happy to be indoors! lol But the girls certainly enjoyed bringing her along ;-)

Celia - pretty hibiscus!

Thanks Sally :-) Pretty decorations ... I still have all the Christmas stuff up ... and I don't have the flu ;-)

Kiska - you're right, Lotta's living the sweet life now ... and she knows it since she's tried the stray life so she really appreciates it too! lol

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7452401

Lotta living the sweet life ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7452465

Wow, Thanks everybody. I didn't realize there were so many others that were interested in the weather.
Rann-Iceland and Greenland are the 2 places that my 12 year old son wants to go to, it looks just beautiful. We have been to Alaska twice and he loves it. Your pictures are only making the temptation worse.
Adina-more pictures of Romania please, that's where I want to go.
Kelli-I can hardly wait to see you "road shows" I'm "Valley Girl" so maybe I'll recognize something.
Oh Ah about the weather
50*
55% humidity
Lisa

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #7452814

It now 43* and snow melting...

Juju and Rusty was playing in back yard...

Juju would say "Ya! Final, I can go outside and get muddy!"
Well, she did got mess on her tummy and feet!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
9:47 PM

Post #7452909

Lisa - thanks :-) To make the temptation even worse, I might point out that due to our economic crisis situation it's never been so affordable to visit since our currency is currently pretty worthless ... so your $ go a loooong way ;-)

Rusty - cute photo of Rusty and Juju playing :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2010
11:11 PM

Post #7453157

GRRRRR-----I just lost a whole post--I hate it when that happens: here goes another try:

Ric: what do you have to get a new permit for?
Celia: gorgeous Bloody Mary hib!
Rann: as always, your girls have absolutely the sweetest faces!
Kiska: have a safe trip home on Thursday. I know you will miss being with your DD and her family but it is always good to get back home after being away for awhile.
BP: love the photo of the arbor--so pretty!! It's hard to say good-bye to Christmas, isn't it?
Lisa: your weather today sounds like ours--50F felt good!
Rusty: JuJu and Rusty look as if they were having a good time.

The weather folk actually told the truth today. We did reach 50F. I actually went outside without having to wear a hat and gloves although I did have on a coat. Friday enjoyed the "balmy" weather too. He rolled in the grass and got dead grass all over his fur. I had to use a lint roller to get it off of him!! LOL
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 12, 2010
12:51 AM

Post #7453464

Rann, your forest reminds me of Limekiln State Park, which is at the southern end of redwood country. It doesn't freeze solid there, though.

[quote]I'm "Valley Girl" so maybe I'll recognize something.[/quote]

Like, totally gnarly! Fur shurr. My videos are nothing exciting, but you can find the current "body of work" here http://www.youtube.com/user/WindPoppy#p/u . Most of them are in the Santa Monica Mountains.

Updated: 3:51 PM PST on January 11, 2010
75 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 20%
Wind: 9 mph from the North

a couple more from Balboa Park

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 12, 2010
12:53 AM

Post #7453472

black phoebe

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 12, 2010
12:54 AM

Post #7453479

I like this bridge

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 12, 2010
1:31 AM

Post #7453596

The fog has replaced the rain~think I prefer the rain.
rann~the photos are beautiful. A girl and her bunny~precious.
Sorry if I've not welcomed you yet, 1Lisac; "welcome"~
Rusty~JuJu @ Rusty must have beenso happy to be outdoors again.
marsue~yes, we are ready to return home. Being part of everyday has been great and we have a better understanding now of places and friends when we get home and back on Skype to talk about things. Like JuJu and Rusty, I can just imagine how much Friday enjoyed the outdoors again.
Kelli~cool Valley Girl language~love the photos of Balboa Park and the Black Phoebe; the bridge is beautiful.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
1:32 AM

Post #7453599

It's 26* and feels like 11*. We reached around 30 for our high today. Felt good this morning!! LOL

We got behind a snowplow the other day. This is what most of our back highways looked like til the last couple days. There are still a few roads that look bad but they have been trying to hit them hard and get them cleaned up.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
1:55 AM

Post #7453666

Kelli: had to laugh at the "Valley Girl speak" LOL Wow, that bridge reminds me of an old Roman aquaduct.

Pepper: watch out!----it's 'snow fog'!!!

currently 34F and Dyson dark.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
2:32 AM

Post #7453775

Well they've called off the snow ... so we'll probably get 6" by morning... lol!
26 AND we're heading to the HT here in a bit.
I've had it turned down to Minimum/Economy since right after New Years Day.

Mau our County Parks have a Parking Stick you buy every year.
It's only 5 bucks and good at all the different ones.
A Day Pass is 3 dollars... so...
I think the money is used to pay the people who drive around and check to see if you have a Parking Sticker ... ;-)

Rann that looks like a Spring Thaw!

Rusty they look REAL HAPPY!
Wu finally went out for more than 1 minute today.
Now Drake, our late Collie, would have been outside sleeping w/ the temps in the teens.

Glad to see it warming up down south!
My friend Marcy's DD just drove home from Seattle to FL.
Should just be arriving... I asked her to bring some heat w/ her.
Looks like she did!

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7454459

Well, it just started snowing about 1/2 hour ago. Ric? Do you have any snow?
Snow: 28F
Feels like: 21F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 21
Humidity: 74%
Visibility: 7 miles
Wind: 7 mph NW
Sunset: 5:26 PM
We don't have an advisory, so it probably won't add up to very much.

Kiska, Have a safe trip home. Has Mt. Redoubt cool his 'jets'? I think he was doing some more rumbling when you left for vacation...
Mau, Glad that you got some warmer weather! We got up to 32 yesterday! A regular heat wave! :D I actually got to wash the salt off of my car. :) Did you try the alcohol yet?
Sharon? is it any warmer down there?
Kelli, Glad that you are better...I will need to watch your video later! :D The little pheobe looks a lot like our Chickadee.

Well, need to run...BBL. Who knows what it will be donig by the time I get ready! ;)

Have a good day All!

Joey

(New River last year)

Thumbnail by music2keep

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7454467

As yesterday, Juju and Rusty was playing for an hour and Juju keep bug Rusty's hind leg that she keep biting his hind leg and make him mad so she know better that! lol... He snap her and never do that again! He just playing maul her head and playing her front left leg which he try to teach her for like shake her paws! I was surprise Rusty teach her lesson easy but take time...

It now 24*... Cloudy...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #7455047

The raised paw and bowing pose in dogs is their way of saying "Let's Play!"
Rusty's teaching JuJu the signals.
Sounds like they have bonded quite nicely! Excellent!

No snow here and the Sun is occasionally peeking out.
Well it appears today turns the corner for us weather-wise.
Supposed to be near 30 today, about 37 tomorrow and the 40's for 10 days out.
One forecast has us at 50 Monday...
Yay!

Vic down in the NC mts. says they'll hit near 60 by week's end.
Finally some warm weather down south.
That should keep the Arctic Air from pushing down so hard.

Winter's CERTAINLY not over but it will be nice to be near normal temps for w bit!
Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7455092

Funny thing happened w/ the Hot Tub last night.
There's about 4" of snow on the roof of the enclosure.
It's a barn roof shape and as the air heated up...the snow started sliding off the top.
Then it would break off and slid down the bottom plastic.
Each time it did this it sounded like someone was shooting off a bottle rocket.
And each time the sound was so startling you'd jump...lol!
I was VERY nice to finally get back in the tub, heat up the bones and break a sweat after all these frigid temps!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7455252

Ric: those park fees are certainly a bargain!! I'm sure it did feel good to be able to get back into the HT again. :o))
Joey: I haven't tried the alcohol yet on the windshield wipers. Will try to remember to do that today. Nice photo of the river--is that near your house? Is that a public walkway and observation deck near the river? If it belongs to a private home, I don't think I would want to live that close to the river!
Rusty: it's good to have a well-trained older dog around to help with the training of a puppy. Makes the owner's job easier. :o))

Current conditions as of 9:55 AM CST
Fair Feels Like: 29 F
Barometer: 30.58 in and rising
Humidity: 54 %
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 18 F
Wind: NNE 12 mph
Sunrise: 7:16 AM
Sunset: 5:17 PM
Heading for a high today of 44F with abundant sunshine; low tonight 23F.

The 50F plus temp. yesterday was nice while it lasted--just didn't last long enough!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7455622

Rusty, those 2 are soon going to be inseparable! Very cute together!

Ric, that would make ME jump, too!

25.4 F with 36 for the high. Snow possible tonight and tomorrow. We'll see...
Overcast
Windchill: 25 F
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 20 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the NW
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 30.33 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 100 ft
Mostly Cloudy 12000 ft
Overcast 18000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

I picked up a Hoya polynuera I've been looking at for months at Lowe's.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 12, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7455734

HI, guys! I lost a post last night too and I didn't know...ugh!
I just finished washing the dishes and making some pancakes for DD.
I went to take the translation of Andreea's birth certificate and it was an error on my name...it was written Alina instead of Adina...they had to correct it and go to the notary again today so I can get it tomorrow...ugh!
Celia, love the hoya!
Rann, what a cutie is Lotta!
Kelli, good you are feeling better. Love the bridge too!
E_B, great views!
Mau, so good to see a hibiscus bloom!
It's getting a bit colder , sunny and clear sky.
Have a great day everyone!
Adina

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7455834

25 and cloudy. DH is out moving snow and I'm obviously not.

Rann, both girls take good pictures, but Hildar Eva with Lotta could be a calander picture. Just adorable!

Rusty, I'll bet she had a ball running around! Boy, your snow IS melting.

Rann, I can't tell if it's just ice, or water rushing down, but it's a neat picture!

Marsue, notepad saves my life. No more lost posts. It was really hard saying goodbye to the Christmas tree. We had a Douglas Fir and it was a perfect shape. It really perfumed the house for a couple of days. It's tied to a trellis in the yard so I can see it all winter. ROTFL over the lint roller!!

Kelly, you crack me up! Right away I hear Moon Unit doing her Valley Girl song. Neat museum! I like that bridge too.

Pepper, that's a snow shower!

Ric, I'll bet the hot tub fels pretty good!

Joey, wow, is the river picture taken from your deck?

Rusty, Rusty is a good dog and a good teacher. Juju is going to be a good dog too!

Ric, laughing, our metal roof does the same thing, but not as loud as you would have heard it!

Celia, don't you love giving in to temptation?

Adina, too bad you have to do all the running to correct their mistake.

This old barn made me laugh.

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7455978

They need more Cars! lol!

The snow and ice on our neighbor's metal roof let go a little bit ago.
CRASH!
Wu jumped 5'! lol!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2010
9:44 PM

Post #7456215

Celia: nothing like a new plant to perk up the winter doldrums!
Adina: dealing with government agencies seems to be a nightmare no where you live!!
BP: I believe that was Selma with Lotta. :o) I really like your photo of the barns. The one on the right seems to have two eyes and a wide-open mouth that is saying one of two things: "Brother, is it cold!!" or "Where did all these cars come from?" LOL
Ric: you guys and Wu will surely be glad when the snow/ice stops sliding off the roofs and making you all jump!!

I think Rann had asked how far down into Florida that the cold air reached. Rann, it went all the way down to the Florida keys. Day before yesterday the weatherman said that Key West had its 2nd coldest day ever recorded--which was 42F!

Photo from last summer: Europeana

Currently "feels like" 40F and sunny. Humidity is just 44% which is way dry around here.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low 23F. Winds light and variable.
# Tomorrow: Generally sunny. High near 50F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2010
9:44 PM

Post #7456218

With both of you right beside him, I'm sure! LOL
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 12, 2010
10:37 PM

Post #7456399

[quote]This old barn made me laugh.[/quote]

The barn on the left looks like it is shocked because the barn on the right slapped it on the behind.

Ric, I hope you have a quieter hot tub than The Loud Woman has. I swear hers is almost as noisy as an air conditioner. But of course it's loud. Everything at that house is loud.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 12, 2010
73 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 22%
Dew Point: 32 F
Wind: 6 mph from the SE

I heard somewhere that unless you keep your poinsettia warm all of the time, you'll get small flowers like this. This one is pink, it's not a problem with my camera. The plant is in the pot with the filigree design. The thick trunk in the Chinese pot belongs to one of DH's pachyforms.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 12, 2010
10:41 PM

Post #7456410

This is a freesia, but not the usual species.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 12, 2010
10:44 PM

Post #7456423

This is called chandelier plant. It's one of those mother-of-thousands kalanchoes and gets pretty scraggly, but I keep it for the flower.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
11:03 PM

Post #7456480

It's a beautiful day today! The bunnies have been playing outside all afternoon with no coats on. A week or so ago, they'd have come back in complaining about the cold, but we're all just a little less spoiled this week. LOL

[quote="Kelli"]
The barn on the left looks like it is shocked because the barn on the right slapped it on the behind. [/quote]

LOL Yes, it does!!!

It'll be chilly tonight, but tomorrow it is going to warm back up again, and then we'll be in a much more normal "winter" pattern for Houston - highs in the 50s and 60s, lows in the 40s, and lots of rain.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 4:53pm CST (5 min ago)
Temperature 61 F 16 C
Dew Point 34 F 1 C
Humidity 36%
Pressure 30.41 in 1029.8 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir N 350
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 28.9F / -1.7C

Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. East winds 5 to 10 mph

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2010
11:26 PM

Post #7456564

Okay...this is how my whole day has been going...

I was wakened this morning around 10am by a cat paw being rudely pushed into my left eye. Isis, apparently, had decided I had slept long enough and she wanted to play. So, up I get and blearily climb in the shower. 10 minutes later I'm having coffee at the computer, which I promptly spill on the keyboard. After I get that cleaned up, Monty throws up on the carpet in the hall. Sigh. I clean it up and check on him to make sure he's okay. He is. Meanwhile, Isis is still following me around wanting to play. We play and I trip on the back of the couch, hurting my little toe.

I've had enough of playing. I go back to the computer and spend awhile talking to friends. Now, it's time for lunch. I fix lunch, a tuna sandwich and dump half of it on the floor. The cats were very helpful cleaning THAT up.

I give up. I watch TV for awhile and come back to the computer. I read up on the days events and then...

I read on DG that Marylyn has bunnies running around without coats. I'm picturing these bunnies like Lotta hippity-hopping through the woods without their pretty coats on! Oh boy...I need a nap...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
11:35 PM

Post #7456595

ROFLOLOLOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2010
11:37 PM

Post #7456602

Yes. I was laughing too when I finally figured it out.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #7456609

Celia, you poor thing... Tell Darrell to take you out some place nice for dinner, and then go to bed early. Tomorrow is another day!

(still LOLing...)
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 12, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #7456613

We've had rain most of the day but didn't dampen our visit w/longtime friends/lunch.
M2Keep~Mt. Redoubt "alert" level is back down to normal. It had shown a brief period of renewed activity.
Love seeing the New River; I'd googled it and learned a bit more/history.
kelli~the chandalier flowers are gorgeous.
Marylyn~seems like good weather in your part of Texas.
kwanjin~what a day to remember, (or forget:))
hi to all I've missed.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2010
1:03 AM

Post #7456843

Today was colder than yesterday. Had heavy fog this morning which then froze on the trees. I really wish I had my camera this morning cause it literally looked like an ice storm rolled thru overnight. It was breathtaking!! It's supposed to happen again tomorrow too. Hopefully I can get pics.

Now for bad news: Haiti had a 7.3 mag earthquake a few hours ago. It was centered about 10 miles from the capital. My former boss from when I worked at Powell Gardens now lives down there with his wife doing missionary work. I have no idea how close he is to the quake and won't know tomorrow. The situation down there is horrible right now. So keep the people down there in your prayers cause they sure are gonna need it!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2010
1:54 AM

Post #7456963

Helluuuu!!! I finally made it back! :D

Sally! My gracious No! I wouldn't live that close to the river! It floods too much! That's at Sandstone Falls in the New River Gorge, which is 29 miles from my house, but I actually live 3 miles from it. btw, I think the barn in back is 'kissin' butt'! :D And what a waste of metal! ;)
Mau, It's a board walk that goes out onto an island in the river. It also has a hiking trail on the island. It's best when there's not a soul around! :D
Kelli, Funny little Poinsettia! Neat-O! The unusual Freezia species is Beautiful! And that is a neat bridge. :)
Pepper, I heard about the earth quake...so sad. I hope your (ex)-boss is all right. I pray he is...They were talking about it on the weather chanell this morning & this evening on the history chanel they were talking about the New Madrid fault...and that's very close to you isn't it? They were talking about an earth quake there back in 1811 & many more before that. An archeological dig was done & they found that a really bad one was around 2300b.c. The one in 1811 was felt in NYC.
Kiska, Glad that Mt. ReDoubt has simmered down! I think he's been active enough! :D Did you find anything of interest about the New? It's very very old...3 million years, I think.
Ric, LOL! I'd be jumping too! And I can picture Wu jumping at least 5', because I know that Jack would! :D But glad that the HT is still workin' well for ya...must have been just Super! :D
Rusty, JuJu will learn just fine...you will have 2 well behaved pups! :D
Celia! LOL! Poor thang! I think I would have gone back to bed right off the bat! ;) More Great Bird Shots! Indeed! :D
Adina...Hope everything is straightened out by tomorrow! :)

Well, I think I will recline on the couch! We're getting company on Monday & even more on the 27th & 28th...Clean, clean, clean...so I'm tired, tired, tired!...

Nite All!

Thumbnail by music2keep

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2010
4:25 AM

Post #7457354

Moral support going out to those in the earthquake zone and their families.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7457458

Cloudy and 22 F this morning. It might get above freezing on Thursday!

Sharona...You wondered how much snow fell here. The local paper published a map today showing snowfall totals for the area from Jan. 1 through yesterday. My little town wasn't listed but the town just a couple miles south checked in with an even 5 feet. That's pretty close to what I figured. Thank goodness the stuff settles or I'd be neck deep!

kwanjin...Sounds like you are having quite a day!

Billy...We have one of those barns with a face near here. I'll have to photograph and post it. Maybe we can start a Barn Face thread. :-)

Ric...Some warmer temps sure will be nice. Even the low 30's forecast for here will be a big improvement.

Rann...the bunny on a leash is just too funny!

Photo...My backyard.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7457459

One more...

early_bloomer

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7457570

Good morning!

Today's the big day! I'm going to the job interview later this morning :-)

Still mild here, 43F / 6C feels like 35F / 2 C. Wind from E at 17 mph / 27 km/h. Cloudy but dry.

Mau - it was actually Hildur Eva cuddling Lotta ;-) Thanks for the info :-)

Sally - thanks! That barn made me laugh too :-) Looks to me like "she's" singing opera ;-) lol

Kelli - nice photos :-) That bridge also reminded me of a Roman aquaduct! :-) You have so many interesting plants! They're all beautiful :-)

Celia - the Hoya looks good ... really nice foliage :-) Hope today will be problem free :-) LOL on the coatless bunnies hopping around ;-) lol Actually, Lotta could use a coat ... she's always cold when the girls take her outside ;-) lol

Marylyn - glad to hear it's finally warming up there too :-)

Ric - yes it did look like Spring thaw ... which is something we really don't see that often ... I was really amazed to see how thick the ice was! We very seldom get such a cold spell that lasts that long over here ... most of the winter we fluctuate between freeze and thaw with the mess that comes with it ;-) Which is partly the reason the girls had never walked accross a frozen lake before ;-)

EB - beautiful! Wow, 5' of snow is hard to imagine ... they're used to it up north, but we here in the south never see so much snow ...

I woke up to the news of the earthquake in Haiti ... an Icelandic rescue squad is flying down there later this morning.

Hope you all have a great day! I have to go get ready for my interview :-)

Here's another photo from Sunday:

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7457579

Here's a closer look at the frozen waterfall ...

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2010

Post #7457621

Good Morning! We're still rather chilly this morning...
Clear: 19F
Feels like: 12F
Dewpoint: 16
Humidity: 86%
Wind: 5 mph W
Sunset: 5:27 PM

Rann, Good Luck! :D I still have my fingers & toes crossed! LOL! Great ice shots...I think that's the only way that ice is pretty! ;)
E_B, I know that's an awful lot of snow, but it's so pretty! I hope you don't mind, but I have put the 'road in snow' as my desk top! :D
Sally, I meant to tell you...Love the Christmas decorations! Gorgeous!
Celia, I certainly hope that you wake up to a much better day, today! :)

Have a Great Day! All! :D
Joey

(Kiska! Look what I found on NG! Matanuska Glacier Cave!)

Thumbnail by music2keep

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7457951

I took this pic last night and sure it cute one that Juju look at my camera and just perfect pic...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7457955

Another one:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2010

Post #7457978

Good Morning Everyone!! I wrote a post yesterday afternoon and it's non-existent. Oh well. Love everyone's pictures, thanks for sharing! Found out yesterday that the State is cutting our office's budget, but I don't know any particulars, we're not supposed to get raises next year either. Seems I'm going to start going through the same thing DH Dave already went through.
Rusty and Juju are so cute! That pup is growing like a weed! Way too cute.

Well I've got to get to work here, hopefully I'll be back later today.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2010
3:31 PM

Post #7458096

JuJu is starting to show some traits of how gorgeous she'll be as an adult.
Excellent pics Rusty!

E_b Lovely!
Bet seeing it gone will be lovelier for you...lol!

Rann that's some pretty country.
I just love her Hat!

Well Great News People!
It was warmer in Des Moines by 17 than here this morning.
A have to assume it was warmer at Bernie's than here also.
So the warmer air will soon be on most of us.
We should be well above freezing today... 40's to near 50 in the long range...!!!!
We've gone from 10 this morning to 22 in two hours!
Looking at breaking freezing by about 1 PM.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #7458367

I'm having a much better day, so far...

The good news from yesterday is I got the old caulk taken out from around the tub and new caulk in. Darrell got a leaky pipe under the sink replaced.

I can't wait until we get the bathroom redone. The tile is Avocado green. Blech...

Rann, those a great pics. I love the waterfall.

Joey, thanks for sharing the ice cave pic!

Ric, it's still too cold. Me? I'd stay in the HT.

Crissy, things are looking up for you?

Juju is perfect!!!

EB, I love your snow pics.

26.0 F with 38 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 26 F
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 21 F
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.14 in (Steady)
Visibility: 1.5 miles
Clouds: Few 100 ft
Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 16000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7458434

Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun ... 30 and climbing... lol!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7458453

Well, It now 47* and climbing to be nice mild sunny today!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7458505

I'm so glad you're having a better day today, Celia!!

I'm praying for your interview, Rann.

It's going to be nice today, but tonight it is going to start raining, and it won't stop until Sunday. I should have gotten the girls up early and gone to the zoo!!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53am CST (47 min ago)
Temperature 52 F 11 C
Dew Point 44 F 7 C
Humidity 74%
Pressure 30.41 in 1029.9 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir ESE 110
Ceiling 25000 ft 7620 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 33.1F / 0.6C

Today Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 60s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers in the evening, then a 40 percent chance after midnight. Lows in the upper 40s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7458540

Rann, I'm a slacker!!! I forgot to wish you good luck. So...GOOD LUCK!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 13, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #7458750

47*F/no rain so far this morning here in this part of Washington. Time to start packing~flying back to Alaska tomorrow. We've already had huge box of "Christmas and shopping" barged up. Will travel light tomorrow.
kwanjin~glad the day is better than yesterday. Great project to be doing.
M2Keep~The New River info was very interesting; from being the oldest river in NAmerica, to flowing South>North, and of course, the Bridge Day event. The pic of the Matanuska Glacier makes me homesick:)
ric~up, and up; hope the temp continues to rise.
Good luck, Rann. Loved the sights of Iceland.
Marylyn~h
Rusty~JuJu is so sweet-thanks for keeping us posted as she grows up.
Marylyn~seems the trip the zoo will have to wait awhile. Do you go often?
crissyr~hopefully your job will be ok. Such a stressful time, though.
E_B~love the snowy photos; very nice.
The greenhouse/nursery here in Yelm. We've bought fruit trees for DD from here.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7458939

Glad the trip has been so much fun Kiska!
Have a safe trip home to the Frozen North.

Well we are at the hottest temp we've had this year... 36
Last time we broke freezing was in the AM on New Years Day!
40's going out 10 days now!

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 13, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #7459008

Great pics everyone! It seems several people had connection issues on DG, must be something ...but it's working now!
I'm in a hurry, DD is leaving tomorrow, so we are packing and go to bed early.
The translation is ready and good this time!LOL
They say it'll snow tonight and the temps are going down. Still the snowdrops started to bloom.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 13, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7459012

I can't resist showing you this : DD showing her belly!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7459028

Houston has a nice zoo (not up to the Columbus or San Diego zoos' standards, but not many zoos are!), and my sister bought us a yearly pass (yayy!), so we go quite often.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #7459030

Send her our Best Wishes Adina!
Great picture!

Ric
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #7459032

Awww... what a cute tummy! ^_^
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7459046

The Houston Zoo rates in the top 10 in the country in many polls.
I actually like zoos rated by type.
Urban (Bronx, Cincinnati, Lincoln Park, etc.),
Open (Large area, San Diego, Columbus, Los Angeles, Houston )
or
+ Botanical Garden,
Aquarium, etc...

It's a much more fair way of doing it.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2010
10:09 PM

Post #7459183

Kelli; enjoying the flower pics--that must be why my poinsettias don't have larger "flowers"--they aren't consistently warm. Pretty freesia; interesting chandelier plant
Marylyn: maybe you and the bunnies will get to go to the zoo next week. We are supposed to get rain on Saturday.
Celia: re: your bad day--here's a book for you: http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Terrible-Horrible-Good-Very/dp/0689711735
LOL nice pics of the birds in the snow
Pepper: I heard about the earthquake in Haiti when I turned on the news this morning. I hope your friend is okay. The news people were saying that the biggest need is for hospital ships and after that, water and food. It's a mess down there! :o((
EB: your snow-covered yard is gorgeous! Looks beautiful from here but glad we don't have that kind of snow down here.
Rann: Whoops! I must have missed the photo of Hildur Eva cuddling Lotta--I thought she was talking about the photo of Selma with Lotta on the leash. Hope all went well with the interview today!
Joey: that's the secret to keeping a clean house--invite people over!! Hope you have recovered from your cleaning frenzy. LOL Love that photo of the frozen cave!
Rusty: JuJu appears to enjoy having her picture taken. :o))
Kiska: have a safe journey home!
Crissy: Not knowing whether your job is secure sure makes for some stressful times! Hang in there!
Ric: hope you get some warmer weather soon. We are supposed to get progressively warmer the nest few days--up to high 50's on Friday!!
Adina: another pretty snowdrop. Your DD will surely "blossom" considerably more before the end of her pregnancy! :o))

Current conditions as of 2:55 PM CST
Fair Feels Like: 47 F
Barometer: 30.27 in and falling
Humidity: 42 %
Dewpoint: 25 F
Wind: SE 6 mph
Sunset: 5:18 PM

Friday is demanding to be taken outside so I better go. :o))

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 13, 2010
10:58 PM

Post #7459319

Adina, cute picture of your DD. :-)

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 13, 2010
61 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 48 F
Wind: 7 mph from the SW

a couple pictures from the San Diego Zoo, and then I'm done

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 13, 2010
10:59 PM

Post #7459322

Someone said that koalas spend 23 hours a day sleeping. What is the point of existing if you have to sleep that much?

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 13, 2010
11:00 PM

Post #7459323

this gorilla is a year old

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 13, 2010
11:01 PM

Post #7459324

The polar bear was active, so he was a big hit with everyone.

Thumbnail by Kelli

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
12:08 AM

Post #7459537

Might have rain tonight to next 2 days oh don't want get muddy again!

Juju got all muddy and Rusty's all legs muddy, too! Oh geez! I gave Juju warm bath and dry up quickly with my hair blower! Then next Rusty, I put him in garage that I has to clean his paws and his hind legs! What a big messy that Rusty playing with Juju that she got all muddy from Rusty's paws! lol...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
12:29 AM

Post #7459616

For anyone wanting to help Haiti go to www.missionofhopehaiti.org. They have a hospital down there that being used as the replacement for the one that collasped. They desperately need medical supplies since it will be several days before the hospital ship can reach them. It's a very slow moving ship. :~( I will try to get more info tomorrow.

I also found out this morning that my former boss and his wife are fine. That was a big relief for me this morning. :~)

Currently 41* and partly cloudy. The temps felt goooood!!! LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
12:48 AM

Post #7459674

Here's another organization that will accept donations: http://www.hearttoheart.org/
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
1:07 AM

Post #7459731

My day turned out kind of like Celias yesterday ... the interview went pretty well ... except she doesn't really have anything for me and she told me she wasn't very optimistic about finding a part-time position ... so I was kind of disappointed ... Then I managed to sprain my ancle this afternoon ... and a bit later burned my hand ... I've been cooling it now for 7 hours and it still hurts ... so I'm still awake. Need to get up early tomorrow - it's Hildur Eva's birthday.

Sorry for not commenting but I'm typing with one hand and it takes a while ;-)

Have a good night!

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2010
1:52 AM

Post #7459871

Hugs coming out o you, Rann! (((((hug)))))

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 14, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7460009

Happy Birthday! Hildur Eva.
Have a Great Day!
Bernie
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
3:09 AM

Post #7460048

Oh, Rann, I am so sorry about your ankle and your hand--hope they are both better soon!! I'm disappointed right along with you that the job interview didn't end up with a job for you. Prayers will continue. Big hugs!! and tell Hildur Eva "Happy Birthday" for us!
Kelli: good photos of the zoo animals. Koalas exist to sleep and then to eat eucalyptus! LOL Pandas are such cute creatures!
Rusty, I keep a big towel by the back door to dry off Friday's paws when the weather is wet.
Pepper: glad your friends are okay--thanks for the links.

I just took Friday outside. It is currently 34F on my back porch and clear skies--stars are shining brightly.

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
3:31 AM

Post #7460103

HAPPY Birthday! Hildur Eva!

Ric & Robyn

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
3:42 AM

Post #7460142

Rann sorry to hear about you're day going so badly.
Hope you heal quickly!

EXCELLENT shots at the Zoo Kelli!
We got there just as they were bringing the Pandas out so we actually did see a little movement from them.
I've actually seen Koalas in a Nocturnal House so you get to see them in action...
their metabolisms are so slow there's not much difference between sleeping and active...lol!

Rusty you have our sympathy on the muddy dogs!
Now w/ the boardwalk and mulched paths it's a thing of the past.
But believe me all our years w/ muddy Collies ... the not so fun part of owning them...;-)

40's tomorrow! Yay!

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #7460191

[quote]their metabolisms are so slow there's not much difference between sleeping and active[/quote]

I can relate.

BTW, we got 0.2 inch of rain this morning.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #7460270

LOL!
You at least walk a bit... ;-)

Well we tried a Video at YouTube...
It, unfortunately, was shot w/ the Zoom Extender on... so there's a keyhole affect.
But it was a new camera and we didn't know...
It's the People Mover at the SD Zoo...
Doesn't show much but it does give you an idea of the altitude changes there.
We learned early... walk down... ride up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RC1tBa-ENE

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7460661

Good Morning! Happy Birthday! Hildur Eva!
Well, We may get flooded out today! We had a high of 38 yesterday, but I guess it was going straight in the ground, because there wasn't much run-off. Today we're supposed to get much warmer & the ground won't be able to keep up!
Partly Cloudy: 25F
Feels like: 21F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 14
Humidity: 63%
Wind: 3 mph W
Sunset: 5:28 PM
We're gonna get some more nasty weather on Sat. Sleet! (just give me more snow!)

Rann, sorry about the job. :( But there's something I learned a long time ago. 'Good things come to those who wait'. So have patience & you will perservere! ;) Persistance always helps, too.
Kiska, Sorry I made you homesick! Have a safe trip today...you will be home shortly! ;)
Pepper, Glad your old boss is OK & thanks for the links.
Ric! LOL! You gave me 'tunnel vision'! :D Great angle, tho. Many ways of travel... I love zoos & Aquariums (doh). Our fish in the pond are still alive, but the is an O2 problem...Our DO meter is reading 14! Way too high! Never had that problem w/trout. (always the opposite in the summer months) Hopefully the ice will melt off & release some of the DO.
Mau, I'm assuming you have a leash law there...you certainly seem to get a good work-out taking Friday out side to do his 'thang'. :)
Celia, Glad your day was much better! Sounds like you kept rather busy! ;)
Marylyn! Bunny's at the zoo...a pass no less! Sounds like loads of fun! ;)
Kelli, Glad you got out to the zoo...Great Shots! Thanks! :D (but isn't that gorilla an orangatan?)
Adina, What a cute 'belly' pic! :D

Well, need to get 'crackin'...
Have a Great Day! All!
Joey
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7460983

Good morning!

Thank you all for the birthday wishes for Hildur Eva - I'll pass them on when she gets home from school. And thanks for the words of encouragement ... I really needed that :-) I haven't given up hope yet! :-) Just hate the uncertainty.

It's still mild, currently 41F / 5C (feels like 34F /1 C), partly cloudy and SE breeze at 12 mph/ 19 km/h. Humidity 76%. Sunrise was at 10:57 and sunset will be at 4:17.

Kelli - great photos from the zoo. Those Koalas are very cute and cuddly ... but they're not really exciting to watch, kind of like watching grass grow! lol I think I saw one make a slight movement once, but not sure if I remember that correctly ... I agree with Joey, that gorilla looks an awful lot like an orangutan ;-)

Rusty and Mau - such cute puppy faces :-)

The birthday girl is home so I'm going to give her some undivided attention ;-)

Have a good day!

Rann

ps. yet another one from the Ellia river ... must be a nice fishing (salmon) spot during summer ... (keep in mind this is well within the Reykjavk city limits)

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010

Post #7461038

Kelli; LOL about relating to the koalas!
Yep, I definitely believe that is an orangutan!
Joey: I hope you don't get too wet over there! We have a 20% chance of rain today and it goes up on Saturday to 40%o. Yes, we do have a leash law here and even if we didn't, I live on a very busy street. Friday would be in great danger of being "smashed" by a car if he was allowed to run loose. :o((
Ric: I'll check out that video when I finish posting here.
Rann: I'm sure Hildur Eva will appreciate the quality time with you and that you will see to it that she has a good birthday celebration! Give her a Happy
Birthday hug from us!!
edited to add: they just changed our rain chances from 40% to 20% on Saturday.

Current conditions as of 7:55 AM CST
Cloudy Feels Like: 37 F
Barometer: 30.22 in and rising
Humidity: 72 %
Dewpoint: 28 F
Wind: CALM
Sunset: 5:19 PM

We are heading for a high of 50F. :o))

This message was edited Jan 14, 2010 8:31 AM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2010

Post #7461039

Happy Birthday, Hildur Eva!!! ^_^

28.5 F with 36 for the high. We had a "skiff" of snow overnight.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 28 F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 25 F
Pressure: 30.33 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 1300 ft
Mostly Cloudy 6500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Cilantro seedlings.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7461049

[quote="Kelli"]Someone said that koalas spend 23 hours a day sleeping. What is the point of existing if you have to sleep that much?[/quote]

Ask any teenager the same thing? Or a cat...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010

Post #7461077

Yep--teens and cats--very much like koalas! LOL You grow your own cilantro? Nice!!!

Ric: I viewed your video-- brought back memories of when we were there in 1993. I was very much impressed by all the lush vegetation--even more so than the animals that were in the zoo.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7461083

Look at this, we're above freezing!!

41.0 F
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 41 F
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 6 F
Pressure: 29.57 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Clouds:
Scattered Clouds 4500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

I'm pretty sure my job's secure, I can't worry about it at this point in time, just going through the motions. Dave went to unemployment yesterday and he's going to be getting $441.00 a week for 7 months, seems like unemployment benefits used to last longer than that.

I'm behind and don't know what's going on, and we're going to have a meeting soon, so I've got to go. I'll chat with ya'll later!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7461111

Joey can you take a spade bit or tulip bulb auger and drill a few holes?
That's what we did for the Stock Tank pond.
The Main Pond waterfall has run thru the whole cold snap.
O2 should be fine down there.

We had a cold morning 18 but should warm to well over 40.
That should melt the snow at least on the pond.

Two Forecasts going strong here.
One says 40's thru the next 10 days. Few night temps below freezing.
The other calls for 3 days in the 40's then fluctuating highs upper 30's/low 40's,
lows in the mid/upper 20's.

Sorry about the quality on the video...
we had just gotten the camera and didn't now about the Key Hole affect.
It was the late 90's and wasn't digital.
I'll get a few of the driving tapes up here soon.
I have to strip the audio as we were telling jokes and some were a bit raw...
From Kelli's tapes I can pinpoint the routes a bit better.
The SD Zoo Tape has the Panda... same position as Kelli's photo... and except for the breathing...
same action...LOL!

Off to HD for some more Joint Compound.
So far we have been using up all the stuff we've bought over the years... finally ran out.

Here's some of the ice hanging from Jon's gutter...
The new metal roof sheds water too fast for them to keep up..

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7461120

I watched your video, too,Ric. Nice to see you! LOL I love the vegetation, as well.

Yes, Mau, I do grow my own cilantro. So yummy...I have chives and black-eyed susans growing next to them in the kitchen. Almost time to start other things.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 14, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7461129

Thanks for liking my DD and her belly!LOL She left for Switzerland this morning and she is safe at home now. I took her to the airport and my co-workers told me to take a day off, but DH couldn't have one too, so we went to work afterwards...ugh!
Celia, sorry you had such a day, I hope you are feeling better now. I also spilled Buck's food from his bowl while taking the food outside to all doggies...it hasn't happened to me since I had my GS, Boss...I was a master in spilling off his food on the floor while trying to put it on his table!ROTFLOL
Mau, what a cute pics, who could resist to such a face!
Joey, what is DO? That's a great picture of the Glacier cave.
Ric, loved the video, I see you and Robyn had fun while doing that video! Thanks for the wishes!
Rusty, aweeeeeeeee, I want a cute little lab too!!!!!!!
Marylyn, great you could let the bunnies run without their coats on in the sun!
Kelli, love those animal pics! I love koala bears, they are so cute! You and Ric are too funny !LOL
Kiska, welcome home!
Pepper, good news your former boss and family are well. So nice of you to post those links.
Rann, HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR HILDUR EVA! I'm sorry you didn't get the job, I know you had high hopes...my DS also had such a dissapointment yesterday, but I told him what I'm telling you too : get up and search for more, you will find a job for you out there! Well...not on these terms for you, especially now that you had your hand burned...take care and get well soon.

It's Dyson dark here, cold 37F and humid. No snow yet, but it's on the way...ugh!
This is for Hildur Eva, apple cake!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 14, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #7461157

Celia, I think I'm going to start some cilantro too.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7461956

Happy birthday, Hildur Eva! Rann, I can undertand the job search disappointment. I went through that back in the day when I was looking for a job.

Good luck to you and your DH, Crissy. (I think unemployment benefits here go for 6 months.)

Maybe that was the orangatan. I don't remember. I know I took a picture of the baby gorilla, but maybe it didn't turn out and I deleted it. I can't tell by the picture chronology, since we saw the orangatans and the gorillas before we saw the koalas. (Man, I hate being wrong.)

Ric, where was the people mover? I don't remember that. It looks like there was a pretty good crowd there that day.

Very windy today, as is usually the case after a weak rainstorm.

Updated: 11:51 AM PST on January 14, 2010
68 F
Clear
Humidity: 19%
Dew Point: 24 F
Wind: 22 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 28 mph

The garden was so poor last year that we are going to let it set fallow for a year and just let clover and whatever else grow there. So far, there hasn't been much clover come up but we do have a bunch of self-sown radishes and CA poppies.

Hey, guess what! More San Diego pictures that I forgot. Isn't this your lucky day? ;-) These are more from the maritime museum. The black thing in the front is a Soviet submarine and the sailing ship is called the Star of India.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7461972

This is a torpedo inside the Soviet sub. It must have been really crowded in there with the whole crew but they had a crew member whose job it was to instill propaganda and keep up morale. He was important enough to have his own cabin. I find this fascinating, probably because at the place where I used to work, the v.p. said that morale is not important.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7461976

This is the first class public area on the Star of India. This ship spent most of it's working life carrying British immigrants to New Zealand. It was a 4-month trip.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7461979

Star of India

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7462034

Ric, if you want to change the audio of a video on You Tube, after the video has been downloaded, you can choose the option called Audio Swap and insert one of about a billion songs in their library. I did that with one of my time lapse videos.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7462037

Just out of the Panda Exhibit Kelli... You can see it in the video...
course this video is from 1997 or 98... so...

Thanks for the Audio tip!

46 here!

Ric

This message was edited Jan 14, 2010 3:58 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #7462083

Laughing over everyone noticing all the cars in the barn picture. I was trying to count them :o) I'm glad everyone likes it.

Marsue, lovely red flower!

Kelly, love your barn explanation!! We havew a loud man. I can hear everything he says when he's outside and he turns up the music when they're in the hot tub. I don't want to know why. It's a pretty pink even if it is small. I've never smelled a freesia and Kalanchoe does have bright blooms.

Marylyn, I'll bet the bunnies get cabin fever when it's too chilly to be out.

Celia, the more I read the more I laughed. Then I read the last paragraph and that did it!!! Love the little bird!

Hi Kiska, glad the Alert is back to normal.

Pepper, the fog sounds beautiful and the earthquake is terrible. Hope he's ok.

Joey, laughing! That's what I thought when I saw how close it was, but boy, if it didn't flood, what a wonderful view! I love the bridge! I'm one for visiting places in solitude too!

Celia, love the "black and white" of the birds in tree :o)

Early, yowza!!! I knew you would get more snow than our generous 8'', but, but, but, that's too much!! YES, I would love a barn face thread! I love old barns! I'll have to sort thru my pics and see if I have any more with a face. I hope you can find your picture. No footsteps in that snow :o)

Rann, crossing my fingers for you!!! Opera is another good observation! A little pink coat on Lotta would be the cutest! Aahhh, it was a frozen waterfall! Cool! (I did spell Hildur Eva's name wrong, and I love her hat too!)

Joey, that is the coolest cave picture!!!

Rusty, Juju has such a personality!! You can tell she's a smart one!

Chrissyr, no raise is no good.

Celia, I'm glad your new day is better. I agree, no avocado!

Marylyn, the zoo sounded like a great idea! Too bad it rained.

Have a safe trip home Kiska. What a wonderful thing to do, buying fruit trees for DD!

Ric, those temps sound like spring!

Adina, the snowdrop looks like folded wings. Aawww, what a beautiful little bump!!! And Mama is gorgeous! Congratulations!!

Mau, Friday made me laugh!!

Kelly, love the zoo pictures! Koalas are better than sloths! Your yearling is an orangutan, but you knew that.

Rusty, muddy dogs have been happy dogs ;o)

Pepper, so glad you don't have to worry about your boss.

Rann, so sorry you hurt yourself and that your job chance fell thru. Maybe a job will turn up soon. You're smart and an asset to anyone who hires you! What do you do for the girl's birthdays? Do they choose a cake flavor or do you suprise them?

Mau, another pic of Friday that cracked me up!

Joey, I hope you don't flood. What a mess a little water can make.

I'm just running out of room for commenting on all the rest.

It was 38 when I started, and cloudy and breezy.

Happy Birthday Hildur Eva!!!!

A baby bunny. They're very hard to get a picture of.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2010
10:29 PM

Post #7462282

Cute little bunny! (They're cute when they're in someone else's yard.)

[quote]Just out of the Panda Exhibit Kelli... [/quote]

O.K. I know where you mean, I think. We went around a different way.

[quote]Kelly, love your barn explanation!![/quote]

Also, it could be that it just heard that John Deeres are made in China, or it heard what used barn wood paneling is selling for.

[quote]We havew a loud man.[/quote]

There used to be The Loud Man over there, too, but he passed on. I told DH about your loud man and he said, "Are you sure he isn't ours?" I said, "Maybe he didn't die. He moved to Iowa."

baby toes

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2010
12:48 AM

Post #7462759

Adina: yummy looking apple cake!! Did you ever think about opening your own bakery?
Kelli: more neat pics! We went in a floating submarine museum when we were in NYC in 2002. It had been retired back in the 1960's and was much smaller than the subs they have nowadays. I couldn't get out of there fast enough--talk about claustrophobia!!
BP: cute bunny!
Kelli: I never heard of a flower called baby toes? Looks like part of the daisy family.

Currently 47F. It was fairly nice today but a little cool, though certainly not as cold as it has been.
# Tonight: Cloudy with a few showers. Low 36F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tomorrow: Intervals of clouds and sunshine. High 57F. Winds light and variable.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2010
1:12 AM

Post #7462820

36* and feels like 31*. Westerly winds at 5 mph.

Thumbnail by pepper23

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2010
1:16 AM

Post #7462830

Tomorrow we are going to be under a flash flood watch I hope it stays that way and doesn't turn into a warning.
Babytoes are a succulent
I love seeing the Ca. pictures it makes me homesick though.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #7463566

Good morning!

39F / 4C this morning, feels like 32F / 0C. Mostly cloudy and an E breeze at 10 mph/16 km/h (aprox. 4 m/s) ... 75% humidity. Sunrise at 10:55 and sunset at 4:20.

Kelli - your San Diego photos are always a treat :-) Very interesting about the maritime museum ...

edited to add:
Crissy - sorry I forgot to mention earlier how sorry I am about your DH's job. Sure hope yours is safe and that he'll find another one soon ... I know how stressful this is ... been there ;-) I'm surprised unemployment benefits only last 6 months ... what are you supposed to do after that? When people are laid off over there how long before they stop working/stop receiving salary? ... Here it's minimum 3 months, DH got 6 ... after that the unemployment benefits kick in until you get another job.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes for Hildur Eva - she was very happy with her day! I'm having a birthday party for my part of the family this weekend and then she'll get the fancy cakes, but I made an extra chocolate cake for yesterday. Mom invited us over for pizza (Hildur Eva's choice) for dinner along with my siblings so she got a mini-birthday party last night :-)

Hope you have a good day!

Rann

This message was edited Jan 15, 2010 8:48 AM

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2010

Post #7463636

Good Morning! We are really warming up! We got up to 48 yesterday! I actually got to wash the salt off my car...what a relief! I can't stand the stuff! And when your vehicle is hunter green it looks even worse!
Partly Cloudy: 27F
Feels like: 27F
Dewpoint: 16
Humidity: 63%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:36 AM
Sunset: 5:29 PM

Rann, Sounds as if Hildur Eva is having a great party! 2! :D Can't get any better than that! ;) Sweet picture. DH collected unemployment for nearly a year. Here when you get laid off your pay immediately stops & unemployment kicks in (which isn't near as much as what you were earning) & goes for 6 months (26 weeks). But DH got 2 extensions ( 3 months each); after that you're on your own!
Ric, We have been 'drilling' holes all week. Every day we put in new holes it was like an explosion! We put 2 heaters in the pond, but they nearly froze over. We put in air stones to circulate the water more & the pump/filter is still working good. Maybe after today the 4" thick ice will melt more so it will release more of the DO. But the good thing is that we have seen the fishies swimming underneath the ice! Their Alive! :D
Adina, DO is Disolved Oxygen...7 being the best reading. Your apple cake looks scumptuous! :D
Kelli, LOL! Everybody is wrong at least Once in their life! :D Love the Baby Toes! Sweet! :D
Celia, Great shot Again! :D I think I need to get some more pics...try my luck at some birds. ;)
Pepper, Glad thing are finally warming up for ya! :D
Sally, That's my most favorite place! (other than Niagara). I need to find the thread I started about the New River. I think that you would like it. But even when the river floods you can go out on the island...really neat. There are some pics here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/671603/

Well, I've been chatty enough! ;) Must get ready for work...check on & feed fishies.
Have a great day!
Joey

(Sally...here ya go...)

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7464110

The temps went up here overnight to 37.
We are getting a pure South wind... deep clouds though... should hit the mid 40's.
The official High, like Joey, for yesterday was 48!

I'm looking for Hi8 mm Tapes... anyone have an off the wall source?

Rann what a Lovely Shot!

Joey that looks much like the park down the street from us...

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7464150

Pepper: hope you warm up soon!
Lisa: thanks for the info on babytoes. Hope you don't get a flood warning, either!
Rann: I counted 6 candles on Hildur Eva's cake. I thought she would be turning 7?
Sounds like she will be celebrating her birthday all week! It seems that pizza is a universal favorite among children--LOL
Joey: LOVE that pic of the bridge--looks like one of any number of places in Arkansas.

The local weather guy just said that we are heading for a high today of 57F with sunshine!! Oh, happy day--I might just be able to get outside and enjoy doing some clean-up around the flower beds. :o)))

a picture from October

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7464354

Very pretty, Mau. Thanks for the lovely colors.

I want some of that apple cake. It looks dee-lish!!!

Rann, So good to hear Hildur Eva had a great day. Such a pretty pic of her. And a lucky girl to get more than one party! LOL

Joey, thank you. I think I'm getting better at the photography. I try to practice everyday. The birdies are actually easier than I thought they'd be.

Kelli, I showed Darrell the maritime museum pics. He used to live in SD and he said he doesn't remember it. He DID recognize the Star of India, though. Now, he wants to go back and visit.

20.5 F with 34 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 20 F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 17 F
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph
Pressure: 30.53 in (Falling)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Black-capped Chickadee

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 15, 2010
10:27 PM

Post #7465249

It's been snowing a bit this morning and it got colder. Now it's a bit windy and 30 . Very exausting day after working last night and in the morning today...I could've just slept at the office and not going home for the night!LOL
Sally, thanks! What a cute little bunny!
Mau, I thought of opening a bakery, but it's hard here, it needs too much money to start !
Celia, here's a slice for you!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 15, 2010
11:02 PM

Post #7465351

Marilyn, baby toes is in the ice plant family. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56907/

NWS says,

Confidence is growing that significant and possibly excessive
rainfall will occur over southwestern California from Sunday through
most of next week... but the exact details of timing are still
unclear. At this time... it appears there will be three or four
separate storm systems moving into the area between late Sunday and
Friday. For the entire week... there is the potential for rainfall
totals of 4 to 8 inches in coastal and valley areas... and 8 to 16
inches in the foothills and mountains. Local rainfall amounts over
20 inches will be quite possible across favored south facing coastal
slopes.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 15, 2010
71 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 25 F
Wind: 9 mph from the North

wild lupines come up wherever people let them

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 15, 2010
11:05 PM

Post #7465355

tangerine tree is loaded

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2010
11:52 PM

Post #7465449

Yikes, Kelli!! 8-20 inches is a LOT even here, in the torrential-rain-prone sub-subtropics.. I can't imagine what a mess it would make there!! I hope you all "only" get the 4-8 inches.

I love that bridge photo, too, Joey. I'm glad your fishies are swimming happily!

The butterfly photo is beautiful, Marilyn!

Speaking of torrential rain... Yikes, Lisa! I hope the watch is canceled before it turns into a warning! It's raining here all day long, but not very hard, so the bayou system is handling the water nicely. The bunnies and I just got back from gymnastics, and the roads are wet and puddling, but not flooding at all.

It's been soggy and in the 50s all day today. Tomorrow is going to be the same. Sunday is supposed to be dry, and in the mid to upper 60s, though. That sounds very nice to us about now! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 5:25pm CST (23 min ago)
Temperature 52 F 11 C
Dew Point 50 F 10 C
Humidity 93%
Pressure 29.88 in 1012 mb
Wind Speed 16 MPH
G 23 14 kts
G 20
Wind Dir NE 50
Ceiling 1100 ft 335 m
Visibility 6 mi 9.7 km
Current Conditions Light Rain, Mist
Remarks 0.07" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 52.0F / 11.1C

Tonight Cloudy with scattered showers. Lows in the mid 40s. North winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
2:32 AM

Post #7465849

Kelli has enough vegetation grown back after the fires to make mud slides less likely?
That's a BUNCH of rain!

Well we hit near 50 again today.
The Pond is about 1/2 thawed and I saw a few fish swim by!

We had a water main break in at least 3 places last night out on the main road.
All the gas line work and the low temps I guess.
The breaks were probably there before but the frozen ground kept them from surfacing.
So about 1 PM they shut all the water off for repairs...
they actually knocked on doors and told people!
I was amazed!
Course we were the only ones home... so all our neighbors started calling as they got home from work. The Water Dept left tags, but on everyone's front doors... and they all park in the back...lol!
It came back on about 5:30 so no big deal...

It's still 40 at 9:30!
I can get used to this! lol!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
2:46 AM

Post #7465889

Celia: do you have tufted titmouse birds along with the chickadees? Usually where there is one, there is the other.
Kelli: thanks for the link on the baby toes--a very interesting plant! Is that tangerine tree in your yard?
Marylyn: we weren't soggy today but we should be getting some of that rain from you tomorrow.

Wow, we had a beautiful day today--near 60F and sunny! I took advantage of it to get out in the flowerbed. I had some tulip bulbs which have been in the bottom of my refrigerator for 2 years. (dug them up after they bloomed in 2008 and just didn't get them planted again last year after pau died so I just left them in the fridge.) I thought I might as well plant them now rather than throw them away and just see if they are viable. In addition to getting the bulbs planted, I pulled up some weeds--they were green and one kind even had tiny blue flowers on it--after all this cold weather!! Why should the weeds thrive in the winter and the flowers go dormant? It's a mystery!! I even found some earthworms moving around. I found some sedum pushing its way up through the leaves. The hellebores are doing well, too. There were signs that spring is not far behind--yes, I know it will be several weeks before spring actually arrives but it was good to see signs of life under the leaves and mulch. :o))
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
2:49 AM

Post #7465900

Ric: we crossed--sorry about the water main breaking but glad it is repaired now. You saw a fish--hooray!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
2:59 AM

Post #7465921

Kelli w/ the cold snap down south those tangerines are worth their weight in Gold!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #7466143

Ric, glad the leak got repaired before any real damage could be done. I'm as surprised as you that they knocked on doors! LOL

Kelli, if that were my tree, there wouldn't be that many tangerines left. LOL

Mau, I haven't seen any titmice. We get mobs of sparrows and finches. The chickadees usually hang out in the pines across the street. Winter is the best time to see the smaller birds besides sparrows and finches.

Thanks, Adina! Yum!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
4:42 AM

Post #7466189

I didn't see it Celia but I guess water was spraying into the air or bubbling out of the road in three separate spots. So I guess they didn't have a lot of choice on fixing it quickly. lol!
Evidently our are was furthest into the line so got fixed first.
They dug an 8' deep hole in the street right in front of Jon's house.
Guess they'll be back tomorrow morning to work on up his street.

Lovely Hawk!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2010
4:45 AM

Post #7466198

Yes, the kestrel seems to be a regular visitor these days. We had a water main break out in the road the night we moved in our house. The only reason we knew was the water bubbling out of the road, too. Sitting on the porch Darrell says, "What's that in the street?"
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #7466220

When we lived up on Beechmont Ave, a main drag here in East Cincy, they were just doing heavy development in the area.
Restaurants, Shopping Centers, Housing Developments ... all took their toll.
We had main breaks at least once a week for months it seemed.
They were jack hammering and digging w/ heavy equipment at all hours.
Finally they just dug up the whole street, widened it and replaced everything.

We have almost all of the room sanded.
Had to go back and patch a few spots but all in all it looks pretty good.
Hopefully we'll have it done and the primer up this weekend.
Then we'll start on the trim...

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 16, 2010
4:55 AM

Post #7466223

[quote]Kelli has enough vegetation grown back after the fires to make mud slides less likely?[/quote]

I don't know. I have not seen the burn area. I assume some has grown back, as stuff has been growing down here.

[quote]Is that tangerine tree in your yard?[/quote]

Yes. It is in the front yard and today someone from the state hung an insect trap on it. They are monitoring for the presence of a new citrus pest. There is no reason to think that our tree is infested, it just is an easier location to monitor. Most people don't have fruit trees in the front yard.

[quote]Kelli, if that were my tree, there wouldn't be that many tangerines left.[/quote]

And all this time we thought it was the squirrel stealing the fruit.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #7466235

Heh heh heh
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7466236

LOL!

I remember the first time we were out there.
Robyn's DB had an appointment in Burbank.
We went along and hung out in the parking lot.
There was a Lime tree overhanging part of it.
The Guard told us to load up!
He was tired of people complaining about the mess.
We filled Bobbie's trunk!
I made a bunch of Daiquiri's that year!

Ric
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7466540

Good morning!

It's raining, 37F /3C (feels like 29F /-2C) ... wind from E at 19 mph / 23 km/h. Humidity 87%. Sunrise 10:53, sunset 4:23

Kelli - wow! That is one loaded tangerine tree! Lucky you :-) Hope you get an ample amount of rain but not enough to cause mudslides :-)

Mau - sounds like a perfect day :-) It's so much fun to see some signs of life when it warms up! You're right she turned 7 ... and there are actually 7 candles on the cake ... 3 are lined up so the one in the middle is hard to spot ;-)

Ric - glad the fish are OK! :-) Good thing they fixed the waterpipes quickly.

Celia - that kestrel is a handsome bird ... Great photo! :-)

Joey - Hildur Eva will be getting more than two parties actually ... I'll be throwing a party for her class (girls only) next week and her father will also have a party for his side of the family ...

Now I need to finish the cakes and get the house cleaned for tomorrow's small birthday party ... it'll just be mom, dad my siblings and their kids. Really nice and uncrowded :-)

Have a good day!

Rann

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7466710

Good Morning all! It's 26 and Dyson Dark! I usually sit in my kitchen and watch for the magical moment of twillight. I love being up before the sun. If winter goes on with a low in the twenties at night, and a high in the thirties during the day, as it will be all week, winter will be just fine!

Rann, what a wonderful birthday she had! Yum on the cake! Her hair is so pretty. I love the ringlets. Has it ever been cut?

Joey, I love bridges big and small! Watching water sort of rocks my brain in a good way. I went to your link. Wow, it's beautiful there!! I commented, so your thread will also be bumped :o)

Beautiful combo Mau!

Celia, dee deee dee's are one of my favorite winter birds. They are small enough to get in the wren house, but have never nested in one.

Adina, yum, yum, yum!

Rain for Kelly! I hope it soaks in as soon as it hits. Questions for Kelly :o) Is this an unusual amount, or does it rain like this once in a while? Are the tangerines edible? If so, how lucky! I love to eat fruit right off the tree and bushes. The red berries make a nice color mix. What are they? (Got the answer to the tangerine tree. Lucky you!!) We see tree monitors around here all the time. They check for different pests.

Marylyn, glad you're not flooding. We get rain in January sometimes and have to get out the pump so the garage doesn't flood.

Ric, do you keep emergancy water in the house? Ever since the straight line wind knocked our power out for three days. we invested in 7 gallon water jugs that we fill at DD's. Her water system is new and tested safe. (Ours has Atrazine in it.)
Iin the next town, it borders the Mississippi, there are natural springs that keep spots in the highway wet all year long. Not running, but seeping. Glad they got your's fixed in a day. A trunk full of limes!

Rann, I never thought about your parents living there too :o) How far from you are they?

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7466790

bp we have 4 @ 5 gallon jugs of water that we ran thru the Brita Filter.
We added sterilizer tabs from our back packing days to them and sealed them.
Those are strictly for emergency...
As for toilet flushing use... we have a 1000 gallon pond out back we can draw water from...
plus 300 gallons of rainwater...
When we lived in 'creek we were on a well... we had to be prepared for power outages.

It was 34 when I got up and is 36 currently.
We're heading for 50!
Looks like low/mid 40's all week for highs. Lows right around freezing.
So 10 higher than average for the lows and 5 higher during the day.
THAT's easy to take.

The Cardinals are singing up a storm this morning.
It's Territory Staking time!

Ric

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7466824

Sally - thanks :-) I had her hair cut about a year and a half ago ... she has refused to go since because she wants to grow it REALLY long! lol She really needs one though, just to cut the ends ... I've almost managed to convince her ... it's starting to tangle more so those ends really need a trimming ;-) My parents live on the other side of town and my brother and sister both live close to their house ... so they're all about 5 min away ;-)

Ric - it must be nice to wake up to cardinals singing ... I really miss them from my Florida days :-)

Here's a weather update ... it's stopped raining and calmed down. Now mostly cloudy, rain showers in the vicinity though ... 39F / 3C and feels like it :-) Slight breeze at 3 mph / 2 km/h ...

Here's a photo of the girls with their new haircuts ... this was june 2008 ;-) As you can see Hildur Eva's hair was cut pretty short ...

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7466905

Ric, I forgot about our 6, five gallon buckets for flushing. Four serve as legs for the table I made using the top of an old dishwasher. It also rests on speakers for the other legs. Wow, you must have a good Britta. I have a 1 1/2 quart with the charcoal filter. The pond is a bonus! In the winter we would nave to put the pitcher pump on to get water, but in the summer, it's very handy. So good to be prepared!

Rann, tell her my hair is to my waist and I cut two inches off by myself last week. I was getting split ends and tangling too. Now it looks so sleek. Tell her her hair will grow better with a tiny trim, just like her fingernails. When I was young I was just like her. I wanted to save every millimeter. Our family is about the same distance. My Dad lives 5 blocks straight down the road from me, on a major highway. My brother lives across the road, catty corner from him and Dad's brother lives just opposite and is my brothers neighbor. My family has been here since 1849, so I'm grandfathered in, LOL! Oh my gosh, they look so young. I see she has natural waves. No wonder the ringlets.

This was in 2007 and I should have taken another inch off. I didn't get a picture of this haircut yet, but it's a straighter line and a bit shorter.

Thumbnail by billyporter

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7467327

Sally, wow! Beautiful hair!
Ric, you and Robyn are amazing, taking care of everything by yourself! Is the pipe fixed yet?
Kelli, thanks for the tour of the submarine! So funny about the tangerines and Celia!LOL
Rann, that's a great picture of yiur 2 girls!
Mau, such high temps at your place! My tulips are starting to grow, they just popped up...I hope this is a sign of spring!
Joey, thanks for the clearing about DO. Is it well for the fishes now?
I vacuumed and cooked, also did a batch of laundry, maybe I'll do another one until I go to bed tonight.
The wind has started to blow and it's cold.
I'm posting a few pics from the Village Museum I we visited a week ago.
First, a few old houses from the countryside.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7467333

Another one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7467344

One more.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7467354

Some covered with straw. The smaller one is the place where they kept the chickens.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7467358

Some gates made in the northern regions of our country.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7467391

Same kind of gate.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7467393

Close-up of the patterns.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7467394

More patterns.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7467413

A fountain and underground homes in the back.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7467418

This is where they used to make the wine.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7467421

A wind mill.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7467539

A water mill for making wool threads.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7467556

Another watewr mill used for making threads.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 16, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7467563

This is a fixture used for making oil out of oil seeds, such as pumpkin, wallnuts and sunflower.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7467798

The pictures are beautiful.
I just got back from the LA area less then 2 weeks ago. I drove by the area where The Station Fire was. Its amazing how large an area burned, that being said, it didn't look like there was near enough vegetation to stop landslides. I didn't realize that much rain was forcast, sounds like TX a drought interuppted by floods or is it a flood interupted by droughts? We got about 2.5" of rain but today it is beautiful.
50*
38% humidity
clear and sunny
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7467877

Sally no, no raise is no good, but whatcha gonna do? I just got a $2.50 raise last June. I'm still way underpaid for my degree but at least I know I'm not the reason I'm not getting a raise.

Good video Ric! I've been to San Diego Zoo too back in 1998 I believe and I don't remember the people movers either, but I don't remember a lot, need to go back I guess. I remember more of the Wild Animal Park than I do the zoo.

Adina those are neat pics, and the detail of the fences... wow Thanks for sharing!

We went out this morning and put new mulch on one of the flower beds, then came back in, fixed breakfast consisting of fried red potatoes with eggs and sweet potato hash browns, and now it's raining.

gggoooooOOOOOO Saints!!!!

47.1 F
Light Rain Mist
Windchill: 47 F
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 40 F
Wind Gust: 0.9 mph
Pressure: 29.88 in (Falling)
Visibility: 4.0 miles
Clouds:
Overcast 4000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

This Afternoon
Cloudy. A chance of rain. Highs in the lower 50s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. The chance of precipitation 50 percent. Average rainfall less than 1/10 inch.

Tonight
Cloudy. A chance of rain. Lows in the upper 30s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. The chance of precipitation 50 percent. Average rainfall 1/10 to 1/4 inch.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #7467897

The SD Zoo is a bit overwhelming the first time through.
The WA Park is much easier to get a grip on...lol!

We hit 50 again today!
Pond id about 1/2 ice free... fish look fine!

Adina I love that Village!
Far cry style-wise from your new place eh? lol!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #7467978

I'm keeping up but no time to comment. MOnty has a vet appt. Take care, everyone!

It's frosty out today.

27.2 F with 32 for the high.
Overcast
Windchill: 27 F
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 23 F
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 30.15 in (Falling)
Visibility: 2.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 600 ft
Overcast 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2010
10:29 PM

Post #7468111

Thank you Adina, I've always liked long hair. Spring popping up somewhere would be nice! I'm ready for fresh ourdoor blooms. I did dishes and a load of laundry. Now I need to vacuum. We're never done are we? What a great place to spend the afternoon! I love the woven fences and the patterns!

Crissyr, isn't it sad to be overqualified for your pay. Yeah, what can you do? You hang on to what you got! Your breakfast sounds better than my oatmeal with wheatgerm :o)

Have a good one Monty. Hope it's nothing but a check-up. Is that a flicker? He doesn't quite look like mine, but he's gorgeous!

We melted a bit with 34 and had heavy cloud cover all day again.

Ever realize that all these years you've spelled a word wrong? I now know how to spell vacuum. Now to learn linoleum. I got it!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2010
12:30 AM

Post #7468402

[quote]Questions for Kelly :o) Is this an unusual amount, or does it rain like this once in a while?[/quote]

The state motto could be "When it rains, it pours - ". Four inches in a week is not unheard of. Eight inches in a week would be noteworthy but has happened before. Twenty inches in a week at my house would probably be a modern record, though it happens in the mountains sometimes.

[quote]The red berries make a nice color mix. What are they?[/quote]
Nandina - in a colder climate, birds would probably eat all the berries, but here they don't eat much. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1547/

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on January 16, 2010
64 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 30 F
Wind: 8 mph from the SSW

Here's a video taken a few streets away from where we live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SBx99gA81g

This is Stoney Point. It's a popular rock-climbing place. That's why all the cars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crbc_WJeoEk

This message was edited Jan 16, 2010 5:15 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #7468426

We have barely gotten past the freezing point the last few days. We have also had very thick fog that freezes overnight.

Last night I went to a hockey game and watched the Missouri Mavericks trounce the Mississippi Riverkings 6-2. It was a fun game though neither team was in top form. lol
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
2:26 AM

Post #7468749

Well Pep we've been basking in the Southern Winds!
2nd day in a row of 50
Snow is about gone... ice has broken up nicely in the Pond.

Kelli I can use that big ole' pile of rocks here! lol!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
2:29 AM

Post #7468756

Tomorrow we should have all the sanding done.
Had to go back over a few spots w/ mud... errrr...!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
2:30 AM

Post #7468762

Celia: are mice on the menu for the Kestrel? If so, you should be mouse-free in your neighborhood soon! LOL Hope Monty is doing okay or was his vet visit for a regular check-up?
Rann: It's good that you have family nearby. :o)) Precious picture of the girls--they have really grown since that was taken!
Sally: gorgeous hair! I've never had long hair--my hair was very curly and very thick and coarse, too, when I was younger and it just wasn't feasible for me to have long hair. As I have gotten older the curl has relaxed a lot and my hair is thinning somewhat, too. I always wanted to wear it in a pony tail but never could. I lived over it, though. LOL From that photo, it looks as if you have a nice collection of books! Just think--with all that oatmeal you've been eating, you are surely lowering your cholesterol! LOL I, myself, have had oatmeal with blueberries almost every day this week. A little cholesterol-lowering never hurt anyone! :o))
Adina: great photo tour of the old village! Such beautiful carved handiwork on those gates and the arch over the sidewalk. The woven fencing is amazing!
Crissy: sweet potato hash browns--that's something I have never had although I have eaten sweet potato fries and liked them.
Celia: your bird looks rather like a downy woodpecker to me--only not quite the same. What is it?
Kelli: enjoyed both videos and the music--makes me want to "dance a jig"--LOL was that a banjo or a dulcimer in there somewhere? Pretty drive along the street in the first video. I can understand why there were so many cars parked along that big rock in the 2nd video. It looks like it is just the perfect place for a rock climber to practice his/her "art".

It's been a rather dreary, overcast day. It didn't start raining at my house until later this afternoon--no downpours--just a soft drizzle most of the time. Crissy has already given our forecast so I won't repeat it. Everyone have a good rest of the evening!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
2:33 AM

Post #7468767

Ric: we crossed. It's good to see your fish! Is that the sewing room you are working on now? It looks as if things are coming right along.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
2:41 AM

Post #7468782

Hey Mau!
Yep it's the sewing room.
If we have enough room to move everything out we'd be done all ready but... lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
3:15 AM

Post #7468881

LOL, Ric! I can relate to that! Years ago (and I do mean years!) my first husband and I were adding on to our house in preparation for the arrival of the fourth child. We lived in that mess for several weeks and it sure was nice when it was all finished!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2010
4:07 AM

Post #7469000

Mau, it's a Northern Flicker. He's a bit bigger than a Robin. We see them mostly in the Fall and Winter.

Ooooo! I love when a project is almost done. Lookin' good, Ric and Robyn!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7469108

Thanks Celia!
We have a ways to go but we can definitely see the end of the tunnel.
Robyn's going to run a base tile trim all around as I run the rest.
The next big deal will be hanging the sliding doors... they all have to be custom fit to that low ceiling.

Ric

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7469686

You know Sally I get mad at myself for not getting something better, I could be making 80k a year if I worked for the Feds using my degree, but instead I'm making 25K a year for the State not using my degree, and the State required it!

Celia, is Monty ok? Cool bird!

Nice drive Kelli, thanks for taking us!

Ric you're definitely getting there, it's looking nice!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7469688

44.4 F
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 44 F
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 40 F
Pressure: 29.82 in (Rising)
Clouds:
Few 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 583 ft

Today
Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. A chance of rain early in the morning. A slight chance of rain in the morning. Highs in the upper 50s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph early in the morning...decreasing to 5 mph in the afternoon. The chance of precipitation 50 percent. Average rainfall less than 1/10 inch.

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 30s. Southwest winds 5 mph.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #7469715

Rainy here and 40... we might catch a few more degrees...

Off to Lowe's!

Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7469986

Heavy rain - may wash some of the snow away.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7470315

36* and feels like 30*. WSW wind at 7mph. Still a bit foggy though nowhere near as bad as it has been.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #7470479

It's warm and not raining!! Yayy!!!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 12:53pm CST (44 min ago)
Temperature 58 F 14 C
Dew Point 45 F 7 C
Humidity 62%
Pressure 30.07 in 1018.4 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir WSW 240
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 35.1F / 1.7C

Today Partly cloudy. Warmer. Highs in the mid 60s. West winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the mid 40s. South winds around 5 mph.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 17, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7470536

Marylyn, we got the opposite weather : it's freezing and snowing!LOL
Ric, good job! The sewing room looks great! Nice to see the fish are OK..uh!
Week-end has been exausting, but I vacuumed all house and did the laundry, also cooked. Today I made donuts...anyone interested to come and have some?LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7470547

Ooo... Adina, I'm drooling!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7470860

I'll be right there Adina!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2010
10:40 PM

Post #7470910

Now, I'm hungry! I'll have one! LOL

Monty is fine. His thyroid is out of whack and needs to be checked to make sure the meds are doing their job correctly. We should know on Mon.

29.0 F
Haze
Windchill: 29 F
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 21 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Falling)
Clouds: Few 900 ft
Mostly Cloudy 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

I'm pulling down some border paper around our house. It's all through the dining area to the hall to the front room I'll get pics of before and after.

In the meantime, my DB sent me an old pic from Christmas Past. What does it say to you? Pictures can sometimes lie. LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2010
10:52 PM

Post #7470943

Adina, those look good! BTW, I liked the building pictures that you posted the other day. If I had to guess, I'd say they were in Norway.

Celia, it looks like your parents had the same carpet as my parents.

It started sprinkling in the noon hour and is now full-fledged drizzle.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 17, 2010
57 F
Light Rain
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 48 F
Wind: 6 mph Variable

a couple of pictures from a deciduous bonsai show yesterday at the Arboretum

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #7470944

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2010
10:55 PM

Post #7470950

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 17, 2010
11:04 PM

Post #7470967

New thread here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1069950/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America