Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Woodworking: Table made from recycled wood

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 14, Views: 161
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7445228

I built this small table out of Oak boards from an old pallet and a discarded Ipe deck plank. It wasn't easy, but the price was right.

Thumbnail by raisedbedbob
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #7446603

Nice job, with a planer (or a LOT of sanding) those ruff boards can be used for many projects.

Dwight
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2010
2:20 AM

Post #7447392

You are so right, Dwight. Planed the oak boards first, glued everything up and began the final smoothing process. The thing is Ipe is way harder than any Oak so I ended up wearing out my thumbs using cabinet scrapers to get the top dead level. If I didn't know how to set the edge on one then, I sure do now!
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7448292

My Buckets
This is a project I've been working on, made from scrap wood, redwood mostly.
Cutting 12 sections at 15' angle. the one on the right, with blue tape, has a 4' taper from top to bottom.
Had to build a special jig to cut them.
The large bucket is 7" high and 8" dia.
I plan to knit, or weave some 'rope' for handles.
Now I want to get the size right so I can put a flower pot in them.

Always something to keep me out of the bars. :-)

Thumbnail by rentman

raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7448357

Very cool, Dwight! BTW, do you know about the Hahitat for Humanity Re-stores? They are a good source for inexpensive/recycled wood. I recently found 6- 8' solid cherry floor boards for $2.00 each. They are just waiting for a suitable project.
RBB
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7448438

Habitat for Humanity Re-stores...I see there are a couple 30 miles from here, will check them out. Didn't know they sold wood, but I guess it's 'What they Have, When they Have it'.

Keep warm.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7980852

Hi Bob and all...Talk about recycle wood, I just finished this planter from decking wood I picked up last year. It is 1" thick and 5 1/2 wide. Hard to get the rusty 'ring nails' out.
I will give it to my daughter for her birthday after I get it planted. It will weigh a ton with the dirt...^:-)^
Dwight

Thumbnail by rentman

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 20, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7983145

Where did you get the wheel?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #7984210

Oh the wheel, that bugged me the most so I made it first. It was the most difficult of the project. (well getting the 10 and 15 dig cuts lined up, every thing is on an angle) *cut your long board first and if it's wrong it can be used for a shorter one...
I used 3 of the of the 5 1/2" boards aprox 15" and glued 3 more at a 90 and cut it out. Sounds easy but 2" of stock was a bit of work for my jig saw, which does not cut 90 straight but we got the job done. I also had to plane the boards flat because they had a cut in them. The axle is a 5/8" rod with two PVC spacers on the inside because of the angle of the handles.

I just got back from delivering it to my daughter with flowers in it, she loves it.
I've forgotten the measurements of the box but it holds 50lbs of top soil ( the wheelbarrow weight abut 50lbs empty) and is a little top heavy but it will only be moved every two weeks or so to mow the lawn.
I did not take a pic of it with the flowers, the're a little droopy being transplanted but will get one next week.

I'l try and get a pic with flowers next week.
Dwight
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 21, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #7985815

That is impressive!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8022447

Here is a pic of the planter, planted...Yes some of those are plastic flowers my son in law added...Poo

This message was edited Aug 6, 2010 10:18 AM

Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #8022478

Here is a project I just completed, made with recycled fence wood.
I wanted to put pickers on the lower white part which is metal.
This is a planter I had in place for a couple of years.
This shows it with a coat of white paint. Next picture shows the completed fence.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2010 10:20 AM

Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #8022499

I cut the pickets to size, nailed them to a 1/2 and screwed the sections to the metal I already had in place . I'll plant some vines to hang over the pickets, now I must repaint the 3' picket fence that goes 1/2 way round the property. Don't like thinking about that job.

Thumbnail by rentman

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

August 6, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #8022516

No "Tom Sawyer's" in the neighborhood?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #8022542

Hi Bubba, These kids today :
Number One don't need money like you and I did as kids
Number Two they want to start at $10 an hour.
Number Three they can't a job right any way...
As the old saying goes ' I would rather do it myself'

Lets see some of your projects, I'm in the middle of a food dryer I'm building into a metal storage cabinet, not sure how it will turn out.

Dwight

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America