-
AuthorContent
Galina
Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

January 10, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7448636

I like it Tamara. I am like you growing many unusual vegetables. And have done for many years. However I have only very recently found out that it is very important to grow every colour that is available. Because colours are not just for external beauty or wow factor, they are nature's shorthand of informing us of the vital nutrients a fruit or vegetable contains. To quote from the url below "Each different color fruit and vegetables contains unique health components that are essential to our health".
This url explains it all much better than I can:
http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/fruits-vegetabl...

Sometimes a vegetable or fruit is uplifted to 'super-food' status. And yes, these usually contain large amounts of antioxidants and other health-preserving nutrients. But if you can't get blueberries for example, or if they are very expensive, just think of the alternatives. There are many other purple coloured vegetables and fruits out there to provide the same goodness. For example the wild hedgerow blackberry. Or the black radish (which is actually very dark purple).

With purple, yellow, orange and white carrots a much greater spectrum of nutrients are provided than just with the same old orange carrot. So why are the supermarket shelves not full of such diversity? More power to the elbow of any gardener who grows the whole colour spectrum of tomatoes, carrots, chard and many others.

Growing weird vegetables is also very beneficial for other reasons. I am in particular thinking of the more unusual roots, such as Hamburg Parsley, Scorzonera, Salsify, Turnip Rooted Chervil, Skirret, Parsnips and so on. Their roots go deep into the soil and bring up nutrients, especially minerals, which are so important to good health. Yet they are hardly known and very rarely found in the supermarkets. Again the gardener who gives weird vegetables a home will reap the health benefit.

The message of 'five a day' should really have added 'and try to include one of each colour for best nutrition'. Growing weird (and very wonderful) vegetables in the garden is a great help to better nutrition.

TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7458785

Hi Galina, glad you enjoyed the article. You bring up many interesting and valid point. I've read that purple veggies, especially, often have more nutrients than their green or yellow counterparts.

And the 'Nero Tondo' radish I grow appears to really be a true black color. Stunning...and very spicy! My current crop is almost ready. I'll try to remember to post a picture here after harvest.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: I Now Declare 2010 The Year of Weird Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sounds like an exciting coming year! Tropicman 2 Jan 13, 2010 7:15 PM
Weird veggies I have grown. pajaritomt 8 Jan 13, 2010 6:58 PM
rainbow carrots gloria125 4 Jan 14, 2010 11:06 PM
Thought You Meant the Weather!!! cando1 8 Jan 20, 2010 9:17 PM
weird veggies katlee52 1 Jan 13, 2010 7:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America