Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Just add water, Paperwhites bring a hint of spring: Will soil work as well?

Communities > Forums > Article: Just add water, Paperwhites bring a hint of spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Just add water, Paperwhites bring a hint of springReplies: 8, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
3:36 AM

Post #7450436

We received a couple of bulbs as a gift in a kit that said to put charcoal chips in the water to keep it fresh, which I neglected to do. In just a few days, the water was stinky and the bulbs had algae on them. I planted them in pots of potting mix and so far their is still growth at the tops. Will they be okay? Thanks!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7450676

Such a nice article, especially for those of us who can't grow them outside. Thank you.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7451350

Hi KyWoods-
Ooh, sorry about the stinky water. I haven't had that problem, and didn't see any warnings about it in my research. I have had the water become a bit brown but the bulbs went on to bloom OK. The soil method should work well too, I just chose to focus on the water method.

Sharran- Glad you enjoyed it!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7452399

Thanks, sallyg, so far they're doing well!
Millssunflower
Hollywood, MD

January 12, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7455544

I don't have Paperwhites but I did pot two Snake Palms. I've never grown anything from a bulb before so I have them in seperate pots and I water them from the bottom. I don't even know if I put the right side up! Should I water them at the top and keep them moist or take them out of the pots? What should I do to make them grow?
tvksi
Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #7457576

The Paper Whites really brought back a pleasant memory! Thanks. !

It was back in about 1934 in the middle of the"Great Depression" and my family, like many, many folks of the time, were out of work a lot of the time and were having to count our pennies. My first grade teacher, Ms. Winklemyer, brought a Paper white narcissus bulb for each of the class and a 5 & 10 Cent store bowl and showed us what to do, using small stones from the road. All of us were amazed. I had planted beans and other plants in my Aunt's garden for several seasons, but this was a really marvelous project.

They were to be Mother's Day gifts. By the week of Mothers day, our lovely Narsissus were in full bloom and we were all so proud to take them home to our Mothers!
Tvksi

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7458089

Millssunflower
I've never grown Snake Palms but did a little Googling for care on them. I think your best bet is to keep the pots warm and moist, and wait a bit. It sounds like the flower may be the first thing, (and it may smell pretty bad ) Good luck--that sounds like an impresssive plant if it grows for you!

tvski--Thats a great story. Blessings on Ms Winklemeyer wherever she is, and on all the teachers who do these sweet projects.
Millssunflower
Hollywood, MD

January 13, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7458287

sallyg,

Thank you! I was thinking of adding some wrap over top of the pots to keep them in a "hot house" environment! It's so cold and the heat seems to depleat the soil of the moisture! Think this will work?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7463994

Yes Millssunflower--plastic wrap over a pot is a popular technique. With just a few holes poked. Open the plastic once you see growth coming from the soil And the pot should be in a warm spot in the house, maybe top of refridgerator? although my new fridge vents its heat out the bottom front so maybe that advice is getting outdated.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Just add water, Paperwhites bring a hint of spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I have Paper Whites growing in my yard bolino 4 Feb 23, 2010 1:16 AM
REPLANTING BULBS Maria 5 Mar 13, 2011 5:08 PM
Alcohol tip NancySLAZ 3 Jan 11, 2010 2:56 PM
As with the Taste of Cilantro . . . dubhloaich 2 Jan 12, 2010 2:52 PM
Just Add Water myclaffer 1 Jan 12, 2010 3:16 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America