Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Winter Blues: Winter in Western New York

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Blues
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter BluesReplies: 6, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #7450754

Hi Kathleen, what part of Western New York are you from? I grew up in rural Alden, N.Y., and lived in Williamsville and downtown Buffalo as a young adult. So, the first 30 years of my life were spent in Western New York. I then lived in AZ for over 16 years, and I moved to Colorado full time a year ago. The biggest difference between winter here in SW Colorado and in Buffalo is sunshine. Where we live now (in CO) there are over 300 days per year of sun, yet we have lots of snow. Girl, you need some sunshine! Your vitamin D is low!

Wishing you well and some sunny days ASAP...

Brenda
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7451418

LOL, I'm taking 8000IU every day! We're down in Chautauqua County in one of the healthy lake snow band areas. I have friends who grew up in Erie PA and now live in Loveland CO and tell us that all the moss has fallen away from them since moving out there, dry air, sunshine and snow, all good. I don't see us moving that way, but maybe some day we'll visit.

The sun did shine a bit yesterday, got all the way up to 25F and this week it may hit 33F. Good times.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7451845

I'm glad you're taking the Vitamin D! When I was a kid we had a cottage at Chatauqua Lake, LOVED that place so much! I love that whole area. Stay warm!

Brenda
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7451873

Where was your cottage? We are about 20 minutes south of Chautauqua Institution.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7451971

On a small canal about 3 miles from the Bemis point bridge (which used to be a ferry, as you know). I got to spend many of my teenage summer weekends there... and some of the best memories! I always loved the Chatauqua Institute as well... so beautiful.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7452432

My dad used to work with a man who had a cottage at Magnolia Bay, and Dad would put the docks in there for a couple of people for the use of them. He had a good sized boat for a few years and we went over on Sundays and cruised the lake. He always said he'd like a lake cottage, if there weren't any others on the lake. Kind of like Daniel Boone moving because the neighbors were only a mile away. Dad grew up in northern New Jersey and he was fond of the fact that the neighbors out here were at least a block away.

the ferry is still there, by the way, and runs most summers. It's part of a non-profit organization, so it is a bit erratic, but at least they haven't given up entirely.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7452520

Oh, that's cool that the Ferry still runs. Our cottage was right next to the neighbors'... as were all the cottages on the canal. Loved it anyway. We had a nice yard and my favorite thing was that we had tons of iris that came up each spring, I'd cut them and put them in a vase on the table. The blooms would only last one day, but another bloom would appear on the cut stem the following day.

If you ever do head out to SW Colorado, let me know, I'd love to visit with you!

Brenda

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Blues Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I can relate Dutchlady1 15 Jan 11, 2010 3:23 PM
thank you backspace 15 Jan 14, 2010 3:55 AM
Winter Blues grisaille 1 Feb 5, 2008 12:45 AM
Excellent! KyWoods 3 Jan 11, 2010 7:16 PM
Winter Dollykat 1 Jan 11, 2010 2:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America