Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Winter Blues: What you did write!!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Blues
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter BluesReplies: 3, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TOMPSKI
Mechanicsville, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7451087

Dear Kathleen,

What you did write - was sweet and humorous and for the most part - very accurate for most of us!!!
I live in Iowa in a small farm town called Mechanicsville (kind of like Marqueritaville- but not!!!) Recent weather patterns have only allowed a two or three day break between the drudgery of snow-removal sessions, and it is getting old already and it is only January 11th!!! But that's winter!!! I pray we all survive. Try to have a "good rest of it (winter)".

A comrade in Iowa,

Tom Piotrowski
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7451364

Thanks, and the same to you. We are in a break this week, even saw some real sunshine yesterday. I'd like winter a whole lot more if we didn't have to worry about the barn freezing and the cows doing stupid things to the water system.
cattypuss
Melbourne
Australia

January 12, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #7454428

I am loving this article from afar and wishing I could somehow experience this kind of winter. I'm not to sure I would like it long term but how I would love to watch real, live chickadees! I have embroidered them, kept pictures and photographs of them for years. We who were born here in Australia have romantic notions of what white winters must be like, you have enlightened me a little, 'though I still wish we could trade places for a short time
As I write this it is summer here in southern Australia. Today it is 40+ degrees and
yesterday it reached 48 degrees [approx.118 farenheit.] We stay inside with air conditioning struggling, and, like you in winter, I roam from window to window. I watch all the lovely things in my garden bow to the oppressive heat, their leaves browning, vegetables cooking on the vine and the birds all seeking moisture by scootching up the mulch I put down to try and save my plants. This kind of heat is relatively new to us down here, we are used to quite hot summers but have been in the grip of drought for the last 14 yrs. Nearly everything comes back to life early to mid autumn and we are able to start preparing for spring by planting bulbs and repairing garden beds. Winter here is when we can really work hard at this and we are rewarded with an avalanche of flowers and foliage in Spring [Oct-Dec] and the whole cycle kicks off again!
The change has finally reached us. It is pelting rain and the temperature has dropped dramatically.The birds are chirping and I think I hear the frogs out in the pond,sounds great!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2010
12:11 PM

Post #7454527

I can't imagine 118F! Nor a 14 year drought. We have had summers where the rain was sparse, but they are few and far between. Lake Erie sends us snow in winter and sees to it that we are generally well watered in summer. Last summer we were actually a bit too well watered and it was very difficult to make dry hay. Just one of the many trade-offs.

Winter is a beautiful season, but it can go on long and at it's worse can be deadly to those not prepared. I hope some day you get to experience the beauty and the fun of it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Blues Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I can relate Dutchlady1 15 Jan 11, 2010 3:23 PM
thank you backspace 15 Jan 14, 2010 3:55 AM
Winter Blues grisaille 1 Feb 5, 2008 12:45 AM
Excellent! KyWoods 3 Jan 11, 2010 7:16 PM
Winter Dollykat 1 Jan 11, 2010 2:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America