Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Have no fear, Earthkind roses are here: What about fragrance?

Communities > Forums > Article: Have no fear, Earthkind roses are here
bookmark
Forum: Article: Have no fear, Earthkind roses are hereReplies: 7, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1973tr6
Jefferson, ME

January 11, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7451121

Loved the article - growers with climates like here in Maine need all the help they can get. I would have liked to have known which of the cultivars is fragrant (is it only the Perle d'Or you mentioned?) since in so many hybrids it is non-existent. I won't grow just another pretty face. It has to smell like a rose as well.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7451214

the links will provide more info. i guess i didnt talk to much about fragrance because i was concentrating on growth power and bloom power. fragrance is a biggie for me too
Careywood360
Careywood, ID
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7451483

I'm with 1973tr6 (great car!)! If a rose doesn't have fragrance (and I'm talking real rose fragrance here), it has no reason to exist as far as I'm concerned. So many of the recent rose introductions (and some of the roses of the past) have nothing to recommend them but "a pretty face".
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7451605

the fragrance has been lost in some modern roses that is true.. the breeders, i guess, focus on other attributes.. the links at the bottom of the page will take you to help me find rose directory with a more in depth description on the rose, including fragrance.. the most fragrant roses are old garden roses. most of these are fragrant .. to what extent depends on the sniffer and the weather. fragrance can not be and end all be all for planning a rose garden the aesthetics of a garden and a rosebush are very important. if it dosnt grow well but has a knock you on your butt fragrance it can be added to the garden and tucked behind some things to hide its legginess or if it tends to defoliate or get blackspot . but that does give me a great idea for another article .. bullet proof extra fragrant roses.. ill have to check and see if an article has covered that topic before. even the roses that arnt looked at as fragrant do have some fragrance.
Happy7
Fort Lauderdale, FL

January 12, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #7454183

Beautiful article! I love reading anything about roses and until recently was a proud and successful rose grower of 4 rose bushes in 3 huge pots, actually one was / is a climber with glorious pale yellow, pink edged blooms.

All the plants flowered prolifically while they were in the pots, I fed them "Dynamite" roses & flowering shrubs, the red container. Alternating with MiracleGrow rose fertilizer, and they got watered with well-water early every morning here in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Anyway, having always been told roses do better in the ground I made a special bed for them and planted and mulched them. It seems to have been the beginning of the end..

Virtually no more blooms and they're all looking close to having a near death experience! I've cut the watering back and now think they may just live, but if you could suggest anything, I would be very grateful indeed.
digger114
Columbiana, AL

January 12, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7454767

Great article very informative. I like many others had given up on roses until this past summer I decided to give it one more try and planted two climbers one of which never bloomed. Plant had very healthy stems beautiful glossy dark green leaves climbing to over 12 ft but never a rose. Would appreciate any and all feedback if someone has any idea of why?
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7455793

happy thanks for reading ! i would guess the problem with your roses has something to do with the soil. some rootstock dosnt do well in fl. soil. cutting back on the watering was a good move. when they are in ground you should only water like every 5 days and let the roots search for water. you can water more when its hotter out. id ease up on the fert until its out of shock. post this question in the rose forum for some more advice. im guessing here lol
digger . look at where the buds would be and see if there are some black shriveled buds.. they may be tiny. rose midge is the first thing i think when someone says i have no buds when the rest of the bush is healthy.
digger114
Columbiana, AL

January 14, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7461661

thanks iris28 - i'll i've never heard of this before i'll definately check into this!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Have no fear, Earthkind roses are here Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting marti001 4 Jan 6, 2010 2:45 PM
Helpful and Encourging HoosierGreen 4 Jan 12, 2010 2:01 AM
This article is for the rose-averse vossner 2 Jan 11, 2010 1:45 AM
Spice LeslieT 1 Jan 11, 2010 5:48 PM
A Good Place to Start Steve812 4 Jan 12, 2010 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America