Photo by Melody

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: I got to do flowers for a wedding show!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 38, Views: 323
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7451340

In all this snow and cold we're experiencing, I had some nice fresh flower therapy over the weekend- the flowers for the booth for the venue I now work with. We had 4 seasonal color schemes, and this is the bridal bouquet in spring pastels.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2010 2:08 PM

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7451347

A hand tied bridesmaid bouquet, displayed in a pink glass cube vase.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7451352

..another, with Tulips.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7451359

This is the corresponding arrangement, on a big silver candelabra.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7451363

A traditional, cascading bouquet.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #7451367

A summery hand tied bouquet.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7451371

..and a corresponding bridesmaid bouquet.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7451377

A large arrangement of summer colors.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7451381

The autumn part of the display.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7451386

'Black Bacarra' and 'Terra Cotta' Roses with Safari Sunset.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7451396

The color is off in this pic, the Gerbers and spray roses are more clay colored (they have a pinkish cast in the pic). There are mokara orchids in there as well.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7451399

A large fall arrangement.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7451401

The spring, summer, and fall parts of the display.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7451408

The winter and spring parts of the display.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7451414

The winter part of the display.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7451417

A bridesmaid bouquet in the winter scheme.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7451432

The winter arrangement. The other side of it actually looked better, and showed off the flowering cabbage better.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7451435

And the whole booth with the team. I'm the tall one in back :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7451542

WOW, Neal, just WOW!!! If I weren't already married I'd want to get married just to have you do the flowers! Stunning! You have exceptional talent!
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7451565

great pictures neal. i ain't married annie. is neal looking for a bride? hehehe
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7451623

Neal we were impressed before w/ the pics you posted at the ORVG.
Blown away now after seeing the closeups!

Congratulations to You and the Team...

(((HUGS)))
Ric and Robyn

BTW mamajack ... Neal is spoken for... sorry lol!
We've met them several times at RU's and they are a perfect couple.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #7452446

Wow, your work is soooo elegant! Thanks for sharing the pics!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
9:59 PM

Post #7452958

LOL, Barb! You're a hoot!

Thanks so much Annie, Ric and Renee! It was fun to see the brides get to hold the bouquets, and "try them on for size" so to speak. Usually they just have pictures to choose from, so it was a treat for them to interact with the bouquets, ask questions about the flowers in them, and smell the fragrant ones. There was one bride there with her little sister, probably about 12 years old, who had such fun with them. The little sister was hoping to be a jr.bridesmaid, I could tell she was having fun dreaming of her day to be Cinderella.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
11:17 PM

Post #7453179

neal did you have daughters? what a guy for a dad you would be so i hope you did. do you have a florist shop neal?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #7453231

No children for me, just pets and plants. Plenty of nieces and nephews though, and have done several weddings for the family. My sister is a retired pastry chef, so we're usually called in as a team. I worked at florist shops for over 20 years, but never owned a shop- don't think I'd ever want to. I'm doing the florals and holiday decorating for a venue here in town, that is in a restored, historical building, originally built to be an opera house and community cultural center. The owner has worked for years in catering, and puts on nice events really well.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #7454011

did you go to flower design school or florist school whatever it's called? i love it that you use so many colors. the summer and fall displays are beautiful to my eyes.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7454595

While I did major in horticulture in college, I've never had any formal training in floral design. Well, I did take the one floral design course they had in the program, but I did more tutoring other students during the class than learning anything new (as I had already read and practiced a lot by that time). I got a job at a florist while in college, and they quickly saw I had a knack for it and put me on doing arrangements. There was a woman I worked with there who taught me a lot, then a couple of years later she opened her own shop and I went to work for her. I worked there almost 10 years, and I credit her with teaching me the tricks of the trade. Seems a lot of the designers I've met over the years started out working at florist shops delivering, waiting on customers, processing cut flowers, and keeping the shop tidy. Typically they're shown how to do smaller arrangements and bud vases first, then are often trained to "green up" arrangements and/or add the finishing touches to arrangements. The lady who trained me said when she started at her home town florist, the designers would put all the flowers in funeral arrangements, then pass them to her to fill in with greenery and add the finishing ribbon.

Those summery colors were my favorites too! I do love bright colors :-)
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7455979

on that summer arrangement neal what are those long skinny pink flowers?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7456071

I'll have to check my invoice, its something I'd never worked with before (kinda thinking it starts with a d?), that the sales rep recommended to me. I really like the effect it gave in that arrangement. I'll find out tomorrow and let ya know :-)
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2010
1:05 AM

Post #7456847

i hope it's not tropical. or a bog plant.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #7505972

Neil, I finally get to see your work. They are all fantastic! My favorite is the large arrangement of summer flowers. Do tell us what those long skinny pink flowers are called. Love the safari sunset one too. Beautiful job Neil.

KW, how are you? OT: Are you rooting for the SAINTS??
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7506076

Neal - great photos and arrangements.

While you are looking up in your invoices what those pink flowers are, could you tell us how much it cost to buy the flowers to make some of those arrangements - like comparing all the large arrangements for the four seasons? I would imagine that the ones with lots and lots of flowers can be pretty expensive without even considering the time and work involved for the flower arranger.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2010
1:57 AM

Post #7507052

Thanks so much! We're getting lots of interested brides touring the facility and several have booked, so I think it was worth it.

So sorry, it keeps slipping my mind when I'm at the Opera House to look at that invoice. Perhaps I'll call the supplier and ask- I only think of it while at home at the puter.

Soilsandup, do you mean the retail prices of the arrangements? Retail prices vary widely from one region to another and from one shop to another, but the recommended markup on fresh materials is 3.5 (if you pay $1 a stem, retail would be $3.50), and an additional 20% of retail price is added for designing. Well, those were the recommended guidelines some years ago, so that may have changed. The prices of wholesale flowers varies a lot too. All of those above came from a grower/importer from California (Skyline Flowers), and even with having them flown in, they're still considerably cheaper, usually end up being about 30% less expensive than wholesalers. I've been happy with the quality too- being straight from the grower, and passing up the middle man wholesalers, the flowers typically are fresher. The whole order was about $350 + air freight, which was about $70 since we picked them up from the airport (fedex would have been more than double that). If my quick figures are correct, that was about $1700 retail value for all the show flowers. I'd say the 3 big arrangements would average out about the same, they all had a lot of roses and similarly prices flowers.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #7550206

Thanks for the information. I never knew what a typical markup is. I have seen some yellow peony stems go for $12 each. It would be interesting to know if those are the current guidelines still. Would $1000 be a typical price to expect to spend for wedding flowers?

My kids stopped buying me flowers since I started growing a variety of cut flowers in my garden. And with the price of flowers these days, chocolate is a good second choice...
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7550303

In this area $1000 is about average for flowers for a small to medium sized wedding, in your area I imagine it would be on the low end, considering the high over head costs in California. I believe you could probably expect at least $1000 for ceremony flowers and at least another $1000 for reception flowers. This got me wondering what current guidelines are for florist pricing, and I found this web page with florists from around the country sharing their pricing strategies. Looks like the same guidelines still apply, most use 3.5 time markup for fresh flowers, but some mark them up as much as 5 times.

http://www.floristsreview.com/main/november2007/featurestory.html
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7555774

Neal, just had to come back here and look a your gorgeous flower arrangements again (and again and again!) We have snow almost up to the windowsils and your flowers designs are sooo creative & fabulous it just brightens my day, Thank You!
You have SERIOUS talent and your passion shows in each and every design! There are going to be some VERY lucky brides!

Annie
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7564231

Beautiful artistry and no formal training, quite impressive, you do have a good eye for combination and color coordination and design style.
Hey karma, nice to see you out and about!
I really like that whiteish cascade.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7566076

Thanks so much :-)
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7566279

Well,all I can say is...Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh...WOW! Makes me want to go take a flower arranging class.

P

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America