Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Yarrow - a Star is Born!: Sorry, it's a no vote.

Communities > Forums > Article: Yarrow - a Star is Born!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Yarrow - a Star is Born!Replies: 8, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lortay
Navan
Ireland

January 11, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7451740

At last you have hit on a Genus that I just don't like, Todd, (nor do several others)
Maybe it is just snobbery about Achillea millefolium but when I suggested here that we start a plant collection for 'Plant Heritage' and told people that Achillea was the first on the list, the answer was 'no, no, no'.
I think that was a 'no'.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

August 14, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #8040308

Lortay;
I have a lot of different varieties. One is very vigorous, tall thing. I planted it in too good of soil in my garden. It took grew so much that it became a tangled mess. I pulled them up, killed a lot and used it on a bank that was recently excuvated to make a road, and it was eroding.

It stopped the erosion and becasue the soil was so poor, it made that plant become better behaved. Now it grows straight and pretty tall.

There are also other cultivars. Some have very fine lacey foliage that look like ferns,they are very well behaved, with pretty blooms. Some, can even be easily dried for flower arrangements. You should try some of these before you vote no.
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

August 16, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #8042704

Are those people crazy or what???
The only requirements for beautiful Moonshine in my garden seem to be poor soil, extended drought/very little water, and occasional deadheading/harvesting of the blooms/spent flowers.
I almost lost my plants one year to an over application of compost, lots of rain, and neglecting to pick it.
Won't make those mistakes again!
We've had over 100 degree days for weeks in OKC and I've watered once a week or less with great results.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

August 16, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #8044276

It has been really really hot this year that is for sure - here too.
we have had rain, but even with no rain - one thing I do not have to worry about is the moonshine.
I have this in front of my house, beside my sidewalk. Once they stop blooming I cut them down, they have blue gray foliage, it matches the roof of my house. Looks pretty cool.

I am with you jazzy1okc.
lortay
Navan
Ireland

August 19, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #8049090

Nope, still don't like them.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

August 19, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #8050750

I have Irish ancesteries. Great Grandma was a Daughtery, I knew her well, she lived to be 105 years old. Her greatgrandparents came over in during the potato famine. I have blond hair, blue eyes, inspite of a lot of Cherokee blood on all the other sides.

So I can tell you - without a doubt never has there been a more stubborn people on the face of the earth, than the Irish.

I know because I have been told over and over again I got my stubborness from my great grandma. I am proud of that because she was also very likable.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #8052588

Actually, as much as I wrote about them, I don't grow them either!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

August 20, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #8052703

AAAAHHHAAAA!
Todd,
That is the problem. You do have to grow them to learn to love them, or at least to start to love them.
To grow them is to learn to love the smell too.
And even drying the flowers - the moon beam does great!
Even as an herb it's history is extrodinary!
What was the great battle when all the soldiers of Rome were laying wounded and dying. It was the yarrow growing in abundance near by that saved so many lives.

What is not to love.
lortay
Navan
Ireland

August 31, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #8072147

The SMELL!!!!, don't get me started. If those Roman soldiers threw Yarrow at the enemy they would probably have run from it in the first place. Ha ha, o.k. I will concede on the 'Moonshine'

Thumbnail by lortay
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Yarrow - a Star is Born! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wow! adinamiti 12 Dec 28, 2009 8:21 PM
Great phicks 0 Dec 27, 2009 12:31 AM
Yarrows zone5dirt 3 Aug 20, 2010 6:01 PM
Love the new pink shades! Nineg 1 Aug 14, 2010 7:02 PM
Wonderful article! GardenSue777 0 Dec 28, 2009 9:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America