Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Winter Blues: Why winter blues?

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Blues
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter BluesReplies: 4, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
stonewalls
Jefferson, NY

January 11, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7451786

I am not an avid gardener like most of you,my husband is. I love gardens and plants as long as I don't have to dig. I used to before the arthritis set in. My favorite part was building stonewalls in my gardens. However, what I don't understand is the winter blues. Gardening is artistic. Winter is a beautiful artistic season. The burnt sienas, burnt umbers, greens, of course white, just a beautiful array of colors.A chance to see deep into the woods, the graceful web of branches, tracks in the snow and of course the stonewalls without the brush to hide them. There is nothing more beautiful then the diamond like ice crystals hanging from the trees, or on a really cold day when you can actually see the shape of each individual snowflake. If you are fortunate enough to live near a creek nothing compares to the water running beneath the ice the deep colors, the shapes formed. Speaking of shapes icicles have a beauty all their own . How can this be depressing? Look carefully and I think if you really look you will have a whole different outlook on winter.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7451854

The winter is beautiful, and I love its beauty, but when you live 4 months with little or no sun, even the beauty can become a hardship. We get 25 feet of snow here in the land of lake snows and the sheer volume makes everything, even walking between house and barn, difficult.
stonewalls
Jefferson, NY

January 11, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #7451893

I might be crazy but I miss my days on the farm. We had cows, horse, sheep, pigs, the full range of farm animals. I am old enough to remember deep snow, really deep snow and really loved it. It was always a good work out, and a great adventure. I guess I am a winter person. The truth is I am more distraught in the summer. The heat really bothers me. I could never live in a hot climate.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7454869

check out this article:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2157/
stonewalls
Jefferson, NY

January 13, 2010
1:41 AM

Post #7456924

[quote="Kathleen"]check out this article:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2157/[/quote]

Beautiful article.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Blues Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I can relate Dutchlady1 15 Jan 11, 2010 3:23 PM
thank you backspace 15 Jan 14, 2010 3:55 AM
Winter Blues grisaille 1 Feb 5, 2008 12:45 AM
Excellent! KyWoods 3 Jan 11, 2010 7:16 PM
Winter Dollykat 1 Jan 11, 2010 2:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America