Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for Winter: too late to mulch for me!

Communities > Forums > Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for Winter
bookmark
Forum: Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for WinterReplies: 0, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7451852

We had a lovely warm autumn this year and I just couldn't bring myself to do the chore of mulching! Some of the roses were still GROWING as late as early December and I figured that covering them up and effectively warming them , would just keep them going even longer. Then we had a dump of snow and it was too late for mulching.
I'll have to race out there with my peat moss and cover the guys if we get any big thaw! Right now they should be quite snug in about 60cm of snow.

This frost-heave-thing sounded like a tale you tell to naughty children - or ignorant immigrants when we first moved here. We were marvelling at crumpling rocks and shattered bricks and the dreaded term frost damage came up. The sight of rocks littering the fields with plenty more lining the sides - now, why did they leave those behind?? Well, they were still in the ground when the others were moved!!

Good article, thanks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for Winter Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Frost heave Hemophobic 6 Nov 22, 2008 7:23 PM
How late to mulch lizpadjen 2 Aug 23, 2009 11:04 AM
strawberries doone 1 Jan 11, 2010 4:19 PM
Haunt the Christmas tree lots keferraro 0 Nov 14, 2011 4:31 PM
Lost my broccoli to this! jmc1987 0 Nov 29, 2013 9:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America