Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hostas: Dead and dying hosta plants

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 25, Views: 306
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Warburton
Rochester, NY

January 11, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7452048

Hi: Been meaning to ask this question since last summer.

I have two areas where I have hosta plants. Last summer in the one area the majority of my hosta plants were attacked by something. I looked and looked, but could not see anything ... maybe someone else has had this experience?

The end result was that the leaves of the hosta plants were eaten ... just the hard green part, and left behind were leaves that looked like a fine layer of see- through silk. The plant itself was all droopy with these cobweb type leaves?

I sprayed and sprinkled and did everything I could think of and everything the local nursery could think of to no avail. Eventually I just cut them all down to the ground (around end of July) and they never showed any signs of life after that ... I guess I will find out this spring if any of them survived.

The hosta plants are shaded by pine trees and to the left of them my neighbor has Chinese Elm hedge (nasty things that attract Japanese Beatles and seem to grow a foot a month).

Any ideas? Thank you.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7452515

I'm thinking when they get chewed like swiss cheese... it's earwigs.

I had quite a few last summer that were chewed down to nothing... i had heard a radio report that the earwigs were bad in our area over the summer.

I find slug holes and cutworms look different from the earwig 'munchings'.

they should all come back for your next season.
Warburton
Rochester, NY

January 11, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7452651

Thank you. That is VERY encouraging. is there a way to poison earwigs?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7452671

I'm sure there is... I've never seen them in the act on my hostas... i'm sure they are out at night... but i'd bet a 'soap and water' spray would do it. ...i use that to kill certain bugs, but the soap has to come in contact with them.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2010
11:03 PM

Post #7453129

Warburton - I'd bet on earwigs also. Did you want only an organic treatment?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2010
1:42 AM

Post #7453631

Late night forays into my garden last summer showed about 50/50 slugs and earwigs on the hosta leaves. Earwigs are readily dispatched by a soap and water spray but you have to hit them. I think one of the easier things to do is to lay pieces of old hose in a dark, damp spot in to garden. In the morning, you just dump the critters into a bucket of soapy water. Trouble is I don't have any old hose. Should check garage sales in the spring.

I had a ready spray container of 1 part ammonia:20 parts water (or a bit less) with some insecticidal soap added in for good measure. If I found the critters late at night, I sprayed.

Warburton - where in Rochester do you live? I grew up in Fairport.
Warburton
Rochester, NY

January 12, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #7454587

Hi All:

I live in Chili ... the west side ... you grew up on the east side.

Do I only want to use organic? NO. I want to use whatever will kill the earwigs so that they do not have the option to trash my hosta garden again.

I would prefer not to have to go out and hunt the creatures at night ... just like to find something to spray on the hosta plants to kill off the earwigs ... they really destroyed my one hosta garden last year ... made me sad!!

Thanks for all your input. Warburton
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7454763

Try this product. It kills snails/slugs/earwigs. Getting the first generation of any of them in the spring will drastically reduce the population for the rest of the year.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Warburton
Rochester, NY

January 12, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7454937

Hi Pirl: Thank you for the information ... The Garden Factory opens March 1st, I have marked my calendar on Monday March 1st in BIG RED LETTERS ... to to Garden Factory, buy Ortho Bug-Geta Plus.

Here's hoping.

P.S. ViolaAnn I love going to Canal Days in Fairport in the summer ... I have taken my grand children on a canal trip in the past and spent a lot of money on the 'arts and crafts' ... Fairport is a very pretty town.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7455055

Call to be sure they carry the product line. Home Depot may have it as well.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7455442

[quote] The end result was that the leaves of the hosta plants were eaten ... just the hard green part, and left behind were leaves that looked like a fine layer of see- through silk. The plant itself was all droopy with these cobweb type leaves? [/quote]

I've honestly never seen damage like that on my hosta- and I have a lot of slugs and earwigs. The only time I've ever seen cobweb leaves is from Japanese Beetles...but I've never once seen one of those on my hosta either. I do have issues with slugs eating holes in the hosta petioles, causing the leaves to collapse.

I'd give that Ortho stuff a shot, and hopefully it will take care of whatever is causing your problem.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2010 12:16 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #7456287

If it should happen again please take photos of all parts of the hosta so we can help you further.
Warburton
Rochester, NY

January 13, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #7457715

Okay Pirl, if it happens again (here's hoping it goes not), I will take photos and post them ... I hate the thought that I will lose the joy of that hosta garden AGAIN.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7457874

Noreaster has been through it more times than is imaginable. She hunts down slugs and earwigs at night and does her best but the evil critters hide (as they do so well) so it's a constant battle some of us have to fight.
NYVOICES99
Corning, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #7469600

Is the Bug-Geata Plus safe to use on/around lilies?
Is it a spary?
I need slug/?bug help too, Thanks :)Anita
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7470019

I have lilies close to clematis and used a lot of the Bug Geta Plus around the clem's and the nearby hostas with no ill effects on any plants.

What does "spary" mean?

I despise the damage done by both earwigs and slugs! Just look at the damage they did to the hostas in this photo! There was ajuga to the rear, as you can see here, and I removed it all but the damage continued and that's when I resorted to the Ortho product with success. I'd still reapply it every few weeks just to be safe.

Thumbnail by pirl

NYVOICES99
Corning, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7470282

Is it a spray liquid or is it pellet form?
I know, it is such a shame we try so hard & bam bug/slug city:(
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7470314

Pellets.

Thumbnail by pirl

NYVOICES99
Corning, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7470333

Thanks
My pleasure as well:)
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 3, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7601606

I am so glad that I happened upon this thread. I lost my slug "No Mercy" supplier last year and my hosta's really showed it. I will try to remember the Ortho Bug-Geta Plus. I am going to look for it first thing tomorrow.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7601971

Hi, Kelly! Good to have you back with us!

I had a dream that I used a leaf blower to get rid of the top layer of soil in one small garden to see if the eggs would go flying as well. I'd put all of that soil back into the compost pile.

It always surprises me that I don't find slugs in compost but I have found some in open bags of manure.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 3, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #7602271

Thanks pirl,,,very nice to be back. Nice dream,,,if only,,,yuck,,,hate those slimmey things,,I can't stand the looks of them,,,they really make my skin crawl. Can't even pick them up with gloves on have to use a shovel.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7602300

Same here. Repulsive is a good word for them and maybe how they feel about us giants.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8594413

I am use to the slugs, try a small tuna can filled with room temperature beer. The will dive right in and drown.
My problem is the cracks that have suddenly appeared. Like something is eating them in lines. Sounds crazy. It's very unattractive. I also have these crack lines in some Dahlias and Peony.

Thumbnail by virginiarose

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8595330

Maybe severe weather before they unfurled?

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8596032

Yes! We did have some severe weather!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America