Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Rock Swap #3

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 89, Views: 545
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

January 11, 2010
10:42 PM

Post #7453070

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1062953/

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2010
10:48 PM

Post #7453089

WhooHOO!! Have rock will carry.
Don't know where . just somewhere! ☺
CreeksideFarm
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
12:32 AM

Post #7453384

I'm on the Mission for Rock Collection Improvement. I have all my rocks sorted and dusted off. Ready to reach their full potential!

Tomorrow I'm starting a Lapidary class to learn how to Cut and polish some of the small nice ones that will look good in my China Cabinet. I've decided to pack up one long shelf of my china cabinet and devote it to my special display rocks. The bigger chucky ones will get displayed out in my garden, and smaller ones in my hypertufa planters with low growing mossy material around them.

Also waiting for a big storm to come along and expose some treasures on our local Ocean beaches.

I'll be ready for the Rock Exchange by mail soon.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2010 5:04 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
12:35 AM

Post #7453397

I got mossy one for you. Would be good in out side .
Free Spirit rock ☺
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #7453408

Thank you for the new thread Joyce. : )

Well here we go.
The date for the Rock Hunt here in Western, OR is scheduled for
June 25, 26 & 27.
We don't have any hook ups for RV's but self sustained ones are great.
Plenty of room for tents.
If we have very many that are coming we can rent a port-a-potty. : ) If just a few will be here they are welcome to use our one and only bathroom.
Cooking facilities will be set up outside, we can also use the kitchen in the house if needed.
If weather turns bad we have one extra bedroom and plenty of floor space.
Let me know who wants us to set up a tent for them. We do have two available if you don't have one.
We have a fun campfire area for morning coffee w/breakfast and for nighttime visiting/story telling.
Depending on how many plan on coming (we need a head count), my husband & I can provide the meat, say Chicken for Fri. evening, Hamburger for Sat. evening, Sausages & hot dogs of different kinds for Sun. evening. Suggestions are welcome. Then if those that come can provide things to go with the provided meat. Kind of like a pot luck. What do all of you think?
Any suggestions on menu are appreciated. Breakfast & lunches.
We are still working on a couple of sites to see which will be the best for hunting rocks. We want to make sure everyone goes home with all the rocks they hoped for. : )
Now is the time for input so this can be a great time for all that come. : )
Lynn
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
12:39 AM

Post #7453415

Now, to get the Rock Swap going.
How does it sound to have a Hostess.
Everyone send their rocks to hostess, plus return postage.
Date set for packages to be sent in. We need to keep in mind when setting dates that some states are under snow.
Each person post a picture of what they sent.
Each person send a wish list after closing date and seeing what everyone sent in.
Hostess will then divide rocks up between the participants using their wish lists.
We need to choose a Hostess and check on DG rules for doing this. Has anyone had experience?
Any other ideas? All thought are welcome. : )
Lynn
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

January 12, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #7454267

I bought a huge Sand blaster unit to polish my stones. I went to a auction and got it cheap so put it in my garden shed and set it up. Only problem all my rocks are buried in 2 ft of snow. Bad planning.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7455063

How deep is the snow? Kalispell, you guys get alot of snow and cold. : ( Sure is beautiful country though.
That has to be very frustrating. But just think of what it will be like when the snow is gone.
What kind of auction do you find rock working equipment.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

January 12, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7455974

What size flat-rate box are we using? I wouldn't mind being hostess, but I would only have time to do it when school is out in May.
The other ideas you suggested sound fine.
thanks, julie
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #7456326

We are still trying to figure out the logistics on box sizes. It would depend on what size the rocks are. Some may need only a small Piority box, others the medium or even large. The Small box is so shallow it might be hard to fit much of anything except pebble size rocks. So I am quessing the medium size box. What do you think Julie?
Creekside said we could team up and do it out of her garage (which is empty as of this coming Spring when the plants move out). That would work well for me because I can add to the kitty from my rock pile if need be. I have a lot of Jasper (red, green and yellow). Some extra petrified wood, quartz, obsidian (red, black or red w/black), and other things that I can't think of right now. Here is a sample of some of what I have out in the rock pile.
Lynn

Thumbnail by valleylynn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
10:19 PM

Post #7456345

Look good to me. I wouldn't know one from the other.
Those are pretty. Love the red one in the center.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
10:21 PM

Post #7456349

Here is the rock pile. I also have quite a bit of rock on the south side of the house that I haven't even gone through. I also keep digging up chunks of petrified wood and quartz when I dig holes to plant something new.
Lynn

Thumbnail by valleylynn

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7456371

I bet you have a heckof a time digging plant holes, don't you? We do too. My DH finally got one of those gasrun augers to drill holes. We are getting too ol;d to be digging holes.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
10:38 PM

Post #7456404

If I have big holes I have a young man come over and dig them. Small ones I can do. : )

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
10:47 PM

Post #7456428

I still do the smaller ones, I'm not too bad a shape but sometimes there are so many rocks. We live on a little Hill (?) I don't want to call it a mtn. butit is sure rocky and I love it. When I was younger I dug out a couple ponds I loved doing that I've slowed down but I haven't stopped gardening yet. When It warms up some more I'll go get some of those rocks up here. They are not to far, just difficult to get right to them. May have to go use a nephew, don't like to ask for help too much!
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
11:10 PM

Post #7456509

So much of US is under snow right now, that is why we are going to wait until things clear out to set a date for the rock exchange. : )
Don't want to leave anyone out.
Lynn

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
11:29 PM

Post #7456575

It's bad enough getting rocks in good weather, but snowy frozen just doesn't make it happen. Our ground is still frozen. This is first time in very long time our ground has been frozen for so long.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #7456611

Spring is just around the corner. : )
Are you doing any Winter Sowing? I am so excited about doing it. I already have a bunch of milk jugs done.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2010
11:45 PM

Post #7456629

there's just two of us and I didn't start collecting milk bottles soon enough. But 15 is a good day to plantabove ground groups according to my handy, dandy almanac. So, I'll be planting some Friday. Can't wait. Are you? Do you use an almanac or just plant?
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2010
12:19 AM

Post #7456716

I just plant. I have had an almanac for so many years, I can't remember. Used to get the new one every year. Maybe I need to go back to it. : )
Okay, I'll wait until this Fri. to plant. Everything I'm wanting to start right now is above ground. Thanks for the heads up. : )
When do you plant root crops?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2010
12:24 AM

Post #7456728

Won't be feb. 3-5 but that's o.k. we still got aways til Spring.
Sometimes I say "to heck with it" and just plant but most of the time I try to go by the book.
in my Grier's says you can plant Root crops on the 14 of Jan. The other isFarmer Almanac, I think I like
Bloms best but ; got to use what I have.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

January 13, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7458770

Yes, just keep tapping your heels and saying "Spring is just around the corner!"

A medium flat-rate box sounds good to me. I'm still going through what I have so that I make sure I have enough to swap. South Mississippi just doesn't offer much in the way of rocks (got lots of red clay and oyster shells!). Our beaches don't offer much in the way of seashells either because of the barrier islands. Might be able to find some pieces of driftwood if anyone is interested.

Take care and stay warm.
love, julie
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7458858

Julie, driftwood is fun. I have some in my garden beds. : ) I even have pieces of old rotting chunks of wood that i plant succulents in and set around the gardens. Let those created juices flow. : )
I used to live out in the country just outside Yazoo City, MS (Benton, MS). Now that I think back I don't remember ever coming across a rock while gardening or walks in the woods. How peculiar.
We have lots of rocks here in the PNW.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

January 13, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7458885

Great, I'll start looking for pieces of driftwood. I've found some interesting pieces on the beach. I have 2 staghorn ferns mounted on driftwood that I have collected. Sounds like fun looking for more.
thanks, julie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #7459148

Yes, It will add something different than our rocks.
Nothing like Variety to the rock garden..Huh?? Froggie?
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7479442

I'm checking in on the rock swap. The rock hunt sounds like so much fun. We'll be on a boat up off the western coast of vancouver island right about then, however. I wish I could be there. I've never heard of so many rock hounds in one place in my life! Has there been a date set for the swap by mail? I haven't seen one but could have missed it for sure.

edited because my cat always walks on my keyboard.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2010 9:35 AM
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7479512

Hi Pixydish. We will sure miss you not being here. Maybe you can just come down at another time. Doesn't have to be a planned group event. : )
We haven't set a swap date yet as so many are in snow areas. We should be able to set it for sometime in March.
How does March sound to all of you in snow country? : )
We have been having some pretty good storms on the coast lately, so is a really good time to go beach combing during low tides.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7479634

I am drooling over your planned event, but our PNW Roundup (Rendezvous) is the weekend before in Kalispell, so I can't imagine having time to get to your event also as I am taking a couple of extra days to go to MT.
I have always been an avid rock collector and have spent some time doing it in Oregon, but not very far East. Sweet Home was about as far as we got. Will be interested in seeing more posts from you all. Sharon
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 20, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7479650

I remember some one wanted red rocks. Take a look.

Look all the way up and all the way down .

Use your mouse to move around.

http://www.utah3d.net/SulpherCreek_swf.html

http://www.utah3d.net/DoubleArch1_swf.html

http://www.utah3d.net/PaysonC_swf.html

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7479677

Sharon, what fun pictures, and beautiful.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7479678

That's enough to make you dizzy. Beautiful, all three.
Got to get some tree limbs cut so I can go get the rocks I want in the woods. It is so peaceful walking in the woods. I love it. Love those red rocks.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7479714

Ah, why do you have to cut tree limbs? Wish I could walk with you RRM. : ) What fun that would be.
Sharon, it would be great fun later in the summer to get together and trade plants & rocks here at my place. It would be pretty hot by then to go East of the mountains to hunt rocks. Mmmm, maybe we can plan something in May? Not sure what the conditions are like that time of the year in Eastern Oregon. I will have to check. We could alway make a trip to the coast (1/2 hour from here), some river beds close by, etc.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7479745

They are pine trees that have fallen across my path. Want a picture?? I have my little rocks with the moss on them stacked up and I want to get to them before the snakes start moving. I don't bother them and I don't want tem to bother me. I wish you could too. Right now the temp. is 66. Just the right temp to go out and piddle around.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7479770

Ohhhh, tropical weather. I feel it just thinking about it. Please do take a picture, it will be the next best thing to being there. : )
I love my snakes (Garter Snake, Rubber Boa Snake and Gopher Snake). We don't have any poisonous snakes here, so I can love everyone of them found in my yard. : )

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7479839

#1 this is the beginning, sort of-

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7479843

#2 a little farther down the trail.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7479859

#3 Our treasures

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

January 20, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7479865

Boo-hoo! All I have here is flatlands! Would love some of those rocky views!
love, julie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7479870

#4 Look at this moss covered beauty.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7479873

Come on over, Froggie.
Here is another pic of tree cover in fern.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

January 20, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7479879

I could definitely make a trip to Georgia one day! Have to look you up to see how close you are to Fort Campbell, KY. That's where my son is stationed!
love, julie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #7479912

Are you driving up 75 or 85 hiway?
You can swing in and find me.
I love to go down there and the dogs love playing in the little creek.
It is beautiful. You can hear the litle creek bubbling on its way. You
would love it.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

January 20, 2010
8:50 PM

Post #7479939

Looked you up and you are about 6 hours from me. That's an easy weekend drive for me or a couple of days longer once school is out. Would love to come your part of the woods with you but definitely would not want to impose. love, julie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #7479974

It would be nice wear your walking shoes and bring insect spray for ticks.
Let me know.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 21, 2010
1:34 AM

Post #7480682

I love that tree trunk with all the holes, vine and moss. That must be so much fun for all the creatures on your trails. I want to be a squirrel or frog and come play. Put a sign up, free firewood. You pick, I supervise.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

January 21, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7481701

Great! I'll have to plan a trip to Georgia when school gets out. Got plenty of bug spray and got good walking shoes! I'll have to dmail you so we can plan a time!
Going to start scouring the beaches this weekend for driftwood. Sometimes I find some really nice pieces that are gnarled or barnacle-covered. When the barnacles fall off, it leaves holes in the wood and makes for interesting charm.
love, julie
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7481832

Driftwood is so interesting. It is fun to plant in also.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7482111

Hey, girls, did you notice we all love the same quirky stuff?? Wonderful, isn't it? I need to watch the dollar store for some little people to put in that long, don't I??
Fairy people. I like the Gargoyles too.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7482175

I love those red rocks and Arches country. It's so beautiful there and the land feels so peaceful there. The land here,, being made of active volcanoes, is not settled and one can really feel the difference. I hope to travel to Utah with my kids over spring break. We've made a couple of trips down there and we all love to go tromp around the desert when it's not too hot. My favorite thing is laying out on the big slickrocks in southern Utah, like a lizard in the sun. If you want to feel like a part of the earth, that's how to do it! (one way, at least) I brought back some lovely red sandstone but I'm warning those of you who live in the PNW - it will not hold up to our winters. After a couple of years it begins to fall apart.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2010
11:44 PM

Post #7483419

Yep, that's true about the sandstone. One of my favorite rocks finally dissintegrated.
I am picturing myself laying on that big flate rock in the sun. I feel warmer already. : )
I used to do that in the Spring where I grew up. What a wonderful feeling. I still choose the Willamette Valley to live in though, all of our seasons are so moderate.
I have a few fun things around the gardens. : ) Imagination is a great thing.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
12:27 AM

Post #7483638

I'm on the rock too. Love the sun as long as its not to hot, than I'm looking for water/shade.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
12:43 AM

Post #7483720

Same here Marti, I just want to get warmed up. : )
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 22, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #7484548

I called my sister in Ventura, Ca tonight. Asked if her son had truck. Why??? Did you not see all the rocks being blown up on the Ventura Beach and Santa Barbara Beach from the storm. I want him over there with a flashlight to pick out some wonderful rocks and sea glass. I said you know every rock hound will be there tomorrow as soon as the rain stops. I was told to get a life. I am in very deep anguish. Did you see those rocks on Ventura Beach on national news?????
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7484855

Ever time there is a storm, you can go pick up some great stuff on the beaches there. You should of seen all the great stuff we picked up after the flash flood early 1990's had came down out of the canyons and flooded out an RV camp. I washed RV down and out to sea.

I called my son in Ventura and asked him to check and see if he could find any interesting rocks and he said he'd look. Of course, he's idea of interesting and mine arn't always the same, but he has an idea of what I like, so maybe I'll get something good. He says he'll stack them at his house until I get a chance to get out there and get them or maybe between the two of us, we can save up for postage.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7485258

"GET A LIFE" that is a part of our life loving rocks.
Wish I could pic up some of te rocks I see and want.
Ain't no way, and I'm not getting any younger.
Part of our Life's Treasures.
wadeinthewater
Verona, WI
(Zone 4b)

February 1, 2010
12:03 AM

Post #7516691

Interesting discussion here. I love rock people. We've traveled around quite a bit, but the most interesting rock place was a farm that sat on the side of Montour ridge, one of the long ridges that corrogate central PA. At the top of the ridge we found an uprooted tree toppled to it's side and digging around in those roots we found rocks, shale really full of sea fossils. Trilobites, and other shelled creatures -- at the top of the mountain of all places. I learned later that it's the indication geologists have found that the area was "wrinkled" by pressures and the sea bottom was pushed up millions of years ago. Facinating huh?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
12:05 AM

Post #7516697

Neat!! The mischief of nature forming it's own art for us to love.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
12:10 AM

Post #7516708

I was hiking in the mountains above Ojai, Calif which puts you above 4000 feet elevation and I was finding rocks with seashells imbedded in them and clam shells twice the size of your hand. The geology reports on the area say that at one time those mts were pushed up by tectonic plant action. Makes for interesting reading.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
12:14 AM

Post #7516723

We have some areas in Eastern Oregon you can find the same kind of things. It is so interesting. I think we will be making a trip to the coast in two weeks. Hope there is a big storm at that time. : ) Lots of sand washes out to sea and leaves wonderful rocks exposed on the beaches. Hope to find lots of stuff for our Rock Swap. : ) If I don't, I still have plenty here to swap. : )

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
12:15 AM

Post #7516730

I Think it has been too cold for any of the girls to be hunting rocks, not too cold but
too Snowy. Haven't heard very much from them lately.
Sounds like a fun trip.
Charleen

This message was edited Jan 31, 2010 7:16 PM
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
12:19 AM

Post #7516748

I have been watching the weather report for back South, including Texas. Boy have they been getting the snow. Brrrrrrr.
We are way to warm here for this time of year. They say it's the El Ninio causing the unusual weather.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
12:22 AM

Post #7516759

Our temps are going to be cold in the morning. I got the Farrier coming. Brrrrr
is right.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2010
10:11 PM

Post #7556844

Is everyone still under snow? Still interested in a rock swap? Or maybe just trade between individuals? Hope all of you are doing well with all this Winter weather. Stay save.
Lynn
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2010
1:32 AM

Post #7557250

Snowed this morning. Clear right now, but more snow on the way.

Marti
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2010
1:36 AM

Post #7557261

Okay, will check back later to see how everyone is doing. : )
Stay warm Marti.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2010
2:27 AM

Post #7557381

i'm just lurking with a stuffy nose, cough and sore throat. Darn!!!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 14, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7557997

Las Vegas is warm & sunny.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #7558164

Rub it in!! Its 21 degrees here and gosh the sun is shining. I'm still battling a cold.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

February 14, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7558292

I'm trying to catch a cold too. gargling with hydrogen peroxide and water helped. Its in the 20's here too. Had to turn the thermostat up. Unusual for this area.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7558656

Okay, I just put on one of those little mask things and disinfected my keyboard. Don't want to catch what you two have. So sorry Joyce & Marti that you are sick. Get well soon.
Sharon, I am having sunshine envy. : ) The temps here are that bad, but no sunshine. : (
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 14, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #7558841

Lynn, do you ever see he sun in Oregon. I was born in Portland and moved to Nevada when I was 4 mos old. Went to Portland every year for two weeks vacation because that was where all the relatives were. Then when I got old enough, I spent the summers there and worked picking strawberries. Hard work but I made a lot of money. Two of my Uncles has massive strawberries fields that went for mile in Gresham. They sold in the 60s to University of Oregon. That was a wonderful time in my life but I remember not seeing the sun much.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7558881

HI, behind in reading..cold in computer room, cold -ice/snow outside with more snow due today.
Have been fighting sinus infection for over a month and still feeling sorry for myself. :(
Still want to swap-maybe we can swap for specifics even if it would be a to b and b-to f etc,
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2010
4:08 AM

Post #7559923

Marcia, so sorry you are not feeling well. DH had sinus infection and finally had to get antibiotics. Knocked it right out. We still haven't decided on how we want to do the trade. It probably would be alot easier to trade one to another.
Sharon, this is actually our rainy season. Summers are usually warm/hot and dry. It's a must to irrigate in the summer.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7560021

HI and thanks..I did the antibiotics..not much help..seems to help one kind and not other..bacterial/virul or something..anyhow..I think that chocolate will fix it:)

For swap..if we pick out what swaps we can make--would that cut down on postage? One send instead of re-send? Just a thought.going to go back through threads and keep notes.

Love the bright colors from CreeksideFarms collection and also the greens and teals from the jasper collection and then the holey rocks...
Will load photos of crafts with rocks from local landscape company.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2010 11:50 PM
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7560069

Photos.

Thumbnail by motts1

motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7560073

And another--larger and with multi-toned rock

Well the printing took care of the photos..they both have twisted wire "trees, with pearl leaves"
Argh!

This message was edited Feb 14, 2010 11:56 PM

Thumbnail by motts1

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #7560197

Chocolate works for everything doesn't it? : )
The pictures don't get big when I click on them. Bummer. : (
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 16, 2010
3:42 AM

Post #7563013

They are reworking the system. When this site gets worked on the photos will be twice as large as normal. Just getting it all done , they say, is going to take time. I think this is a good thing.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7563324

Thanks, Sharon. I thought my eyes were going. : )

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7563803

Fringe of snow and a nice rock.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

February 18, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7569085

Nice green rock.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7569822

thank you. Weather wil be good, one of these days and I'll be moving them rocks around again.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2010
4:56 AM

Post #7570911

That is one beautiful rock Charleen. : )

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7971536

Well don't know how I got dropped off this thread but I did. I have been saving a rock since last year to trade wth someone. I'll try to take a pic this weekend and post and the first person to ask gets it. It is a piece of KY sandstone with a split down the middle. No takers until the pic is posted!!!

Doug

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7972392

We will wait for your pic. Doug

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7972455

OK! I was on the original thread but for some reason never received any more posts and did not know we had gone thru 2 more threads since then. Took me forever to find the original...

Doug
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 16, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7974101

I either got lost or I am still lost.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7975032

Let's see the rock. I move a large rock yesterday. Some kind of quartz, I think. Put it out where it can be seen.
Durn, guess I moved more than one.

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

July 17, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7976033

Nice Charleen! Love the face.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7976315

thank you.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America