Photo by Melody

Article: Just add water, Paperwhites bring a hint of spring: As with the Taste of Cilantro . . .

Communities > Forums > Article: Just add water, Paperwhites bring a hint of spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Just add water, Paperwhites bring a hint of springReplies: 2, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dubhloaich
Scappoose, OR

January 11, 2010
11:40 PM

Post #7453232

the scent of Paperwhites are something you either love or hate.

I forced some about four years ago. I set a large glass bowl of them up with 8-10 bulbs and placed it on a table that is set up against the back of our couch (we have an open floor plan and this creates a good transition between the Living "Room" from the dining area).

Since they were surrounded by other plants, I didn't notice they had bloomed as I plopped down on the couch. Within minutes, I was up checking the entertainment center for what electronic device was overheating. I was sure it was the smell of burning plastic or melting electrical insulation.

This is not a tall tale, this is the absolute truth. The glass bowl of paperwhites went strait out on the porch and a hard frost about 3 or 4 days later put an end to the stench. The bulbs now live out by the well house, about 80 feet north of the porch. They do fine there in our Zone 8 climate and the Northwest wet and cool spring temperature keep the otherwise overwhelming odor toned down to a level I can deal with (when but a slight whiff on a distance breeze, they aren't too bad).

On the other hand, I know scores of people who LOVE their fragrance, even at point blank range. It must have something to do with genetics.

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
11:58 PM

Post #7453274

I agree, they stink, they remind me of cat urine, yuk!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7454983

That's amusing! (sine it didn't happen to me LOL) Thanks for sharing the story. I have just one bloom cluster open right now so have to get really close to smell them. And yes its not a smell I wish to multiply times 8 or 10. I also have Hawera cultivar daffs in the yard and they are similar but I don't notice the smell unless I get right in them. Or maybe I'm geneticaly less 'susceptible'

Thanks for adding your story!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Just add water, Paperwhites bring a hint of spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I have Paper Whites growing in my yard bolino 4 Feb 23, 2010 1:16 AM
Will soil work as well? KyWoods 8 Jan 15, 2010 2:32 PM
REPLANTING BULBS Maria 5 Mar 13, 2011 5:08 PM
Alcohol tip NancySLAZ 3 Jan 11, 2010 2:56 PM
Just Add Water myclaffer 1 Jan 12, 2010 3:16 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America