Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Winter Blues: winter's the best

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Blues
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter BluesReplies: 1, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cfbloom
Marengo, IL

January 12, 2010
4:30 AM

Post #7454135

I just got back from a 2 hour ski with the dog. It's balmy here in northern Illinois. The temperature has climbed into the 20s and it's been below or near 0 for the last 2 weeks.
Through 2 farm fields into the woods. The snow is deep enough to go over logs. It's frozen, so we ski across a small lake, some potholes and a marsh. There are some magnificent oaks, walnuts & maple you can't get to in the summer.
It's best when the moon is new or full. I'll get up at 4 or 5 AM for that. Or when it's snowing when we're skiing.
The deer move about ahead of us. A vole runs across the surface of the snow & dives into a hole. Owls hoot, a raccoon chatters at us and the coyotes sing about 1/2 mile away when the 7:30 train toots it's whistle.
Cooked some burgers on the grill.
No bugs, no sunburn, no sweat.
I don't have to mow the lawn or work on the house for 3 months. The beer is always cold.
Life is good.

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7454866

Check out this article:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2157/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Blues Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I can relate Dutchlady1 15 Jan 11, 2010 3:23 PM
thank you backspace 15 Jan 14, 2010 3:55 AM
Winter Blues grisaille 1 Feb 5, 2008 12:45 AM
Excellent! KyWoods 3 Jan 11, 2010 7:16 PM
Winter Dollykat 1 Jan 11, 2010 2:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America