Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Whitewidower
Greensboro, AL

January 12, 2010
12:54 PM

Post #7454600

What seed company would you recommend when ordering garden seed? I am really looking popcorn seed. But would love to just look around at all the different kinds of vegetable seeds.
alaska_rick
Juneau, AK
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7455759

There are one or two zillion good ones around.

Try Baker Creek to start but that is not to exclusion of the many other good ones. Get their beautiful free catalog.

http://rareseeds.com/

I am sure that some other people will come up with some great names for you.

Rick
alaska_rick
Juneau, AK
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #7456165

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1066511/

There are a few you can find in this link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1066511/

Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7460563

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh, stop it! I wasn't going to buy any seeds this year until I found that cherrygal site. WOW! (runs and hides purse so she can't shop there...NOT) I am swooning over her heirloom bean collection!!
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7460586

Me too. She's got a bean that originated in Mobile, AL which is about 30 miles down the road. I wouldn't have to wonder if it will do well for me. I see lots of interesting stuff. I didn't need any seeds but now I'm definitely rethinking that. It's going to bug me til I break down.
alaska_rick
Juneau, AK
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7460619

Hineni,

Give in to temptation. You are addicted. You are helpless and have no choice but to yield. Just order one of everything and be done with it. :-)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7461337

I could not resist and went ahead and placed an order. I got the cherrygal tip from a different thead last week. I needed some seed anyway (Yeah, sure! That was my excuse!)

Got prompt order confirmation, shipment notification, and got my seeds in good order. I ordered from Territorial on the same day and got the same notifications from them and received on the same day as cherrygal. Will be starting some seeds this weekend and am excited to have found a good source for unusual or hard to find seeds. Thanks for the tip guys!

Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2010
10:26 AM

Post #7478640

So far I have resisted, resisted...having to buy a ladder, a t-post pounder, chimney sweep brush and dog food for the fur crew kind of kept me away from the seed pages this pay period. It also kept me away from the antique district as well :( This monetary requirement thing is getting old. HA!

Glad to hear that cherrygal's shipping and product follow through are good as well; thanks for letting us know terri!

Besides, honestly Rick, I have enough veggie seeds to feed a small army so I need to use 'em up and THEN order new stuff. At least that is what I keep telling myself :D

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2010
1:15 AM

Post #7480644

I purchased seeds from Cherrygal last fall and I've been very pleased with the shipping and the seeds. I think all my seeds germinated! I ordered more around New Year's and got an email from her that due to the holiday my order wouldn't ship until 1/4. I was impressed that she even was checking orders due to the holiday weekend!
zinniared
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2010
2:11 AM

Post #7480766

There are so many good ones. I just ordered from the Southern Exposure
Seed Exchange. Received my order quickly.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7550220

alaska_rick,

You are evil! Taunting all of us who are seed addicts...especially when it comes to tomatoes. Still, thanks for indroducing Cherry Girl, as this is the first I ever heard of her. I have more than enough tomato seeds, but still, I have to see what she has. I need to sow some of my old tomato seeds, and thanks to Carolyn, I will be doing just that. I will not say how many packets of old seeds that I have. Still, I was thinking they would not germinate before, so I did buy some new ones. Pinetree has so many things available and such good prices. (http://www.superseeds.com) I will let you know if I get any from Cherry Girl. I have to make my list later, as it is so long...maybe.
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7550998

Thank you so much for mentioning cherrygirl. I really appreciated that! Here I go ordering seeds that I haven't the faintest idea where I'm going to put them. Oh well, that's what pots and the front yard are for.
JulieTAdolf
Moore, SC

February 11, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7551174

It IS an addiction, isn't it?! :-) In a bout of insomnia this week, I ordered more seeds. What was I thinking???

I've had very good luck with Bakers Creek--my first order this year, I received in two days, and even during this busy season--I received my next order in three days. Seed Savers Exchange also provided really good service--not quite as fast as BC, but still within the week of ordering. I currently have about 5000 seedling growing, and I am amazed at the germination rates from both of these companies. I think there were only two peppers out of 30+ varieties that were about 70% germination...the rest of the peppers and tomatoes (60+ varieties) were all well above 90% germination. Very pleased with the results, but boy--do I have a LOT of transplanting to do!

I'm afraid now I need to check out cherrygirl...oh my.

Happy planting!

yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7551270

Oh no, you have to go look. I'm planning on ripping out my entire front lawn and putting in a cottage garden like we had when I was a kid. Our house is gray and white so I'm going for the pinks, lavenders, yellows etc. and does she have tons. AH me.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7551486

When my hubby finds out that I have ordered more seeds...YIKES! He knows that it took me 2 days to sort out the old seeds that I have. Now that Carolyn has mentioned thay even 10 year old seeds (tomato) can be germinated, that is when I decided to try my old seeds. Earlier, I had ordered more fresh seeds, so I will try to germinate what I have, but I will share my leftovers when I am done.

I have a lot, old and new, so if you want any veggie seeds, please let me know, and I will DMAIL you. Especially if you list what you want as it will take a while before I can get my list up as a lot of it is old seeds. Still, if they are viable, I will let you know - also I will tell you which ones are fresh, and which ones are old. Trade or SASE...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7551501

I forgot to mention...a lot of them are heirlooms. Also Pinetree Seeds has small packets and reasonable prices like Cherry Girl, and their are some heirlooms in there as well...http://www.superseeds.com

Evelyn
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7551574

LOL, I ordered the first time I followed a link to cherrygal, too!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2010
10:34 PM

Post #7551986

Where's Grizzley Flats CA?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7552845

Grizzly Flats is 4000' in elevation, southeast of Placerville, CA in El Dorado County, in the Sierra Foothills, which is east of Sacramento and west of South Lake Tahoe.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #7552852

I was going to say, I have been at the Cherry Girl website, and still haven't got to the tomatoes yet. This was much more than I bargained for...YIKES!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2010
2:05 AM

Post #7554984

Don't get lost over there, Evelyn! Remember to pack food and water for your stay! LOL
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7561592

It isn't just the tomatoes for me! I get all hung up on the different popcorns, lettuces, and pumpkins! Such fun...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2010
1:05 AM

Post #7585446

Well, fortunately, I did get lost. I have a verrrry slooooow landline connection. So the next time, I just started at the tomatoes, and worked my way backwards to the lettuces, peppers and eggplants. I will get more lettuce seeds next year as I would not have the space to even grow all that I have ordered altogether. Oh, where to put all those tomatoes. we have loads of deer so we have a small fenced veggie plot, and I was going to plant some ornamentals in a plot that I dug out. The "White Daisy Garden" has been moved into the "White Flower Border", and I was going to put in a "Cottage Garden" in its place, but now I am thinking I had better put in tomatoes there. I usually put my tomatoes in 4X4' raised beds, with hardware cloth on the bottoms, in order to protect from gophers. One year, I planted 100 tomato plants of which were all grown from seed. The deer got the top and the gophers got the bottoms! We did get a few, but, what a mess! Now we have more critters, and even tho' a better fence, loads of ground squirrels completely shut down one of my neighbor's veggie garden.

Where am I going to put the tomatoes? Maybe in garbage bags within the garden, after all the raised beds are filled up? I still want flowers in that bed that has been prepared. Still, I could put some tomatoes in with the flowers...since it would be a real "cottage garden"...where does everyone else put all those tomatoes?? You know who you are...the ones with 25 or more varieties that you are growing? Maybe I will have to trade out all those tomato seeds that I just bought! (I shurrr hope not!)

And where do you start all of those, or do you all have greenhouses? (I do not...) I was thinking of wintersowing them, but won't they be a month later in harvest?

Any help or suggestions, I will very much appreciate.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2010
1:59 AM

Post #7585620

I winter sowed mine this year.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #7586081

Sowing is one thing, and then where do they go?

Stephenie, when you W/S, are they much later than if you started them indoors? I mean if you put them out at the same time, would the harvest be that much later?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7586435

I don't know. This is the first year I'm winter sowing veggies. It's an experiment! LOL
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7587341

Evelyn-there is a WS forum you can check out. It explains everything. I haven't had very good luck with it. I didn't really try though, I got tired of chasing containers that kept blowing away.
Lisa
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7594060

A good source of heirloom veggie and flower seeds, plus potatoes and trees, is Fedco Seeds up in Maine. Plus their catalog is just good reading:

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/index.htm

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7596220

1Lisac, I have been to the W/S forum and website. I was just wondering about all of your experiences here. I won't be sowing anything in pop bottles or any such thing. If I can't use what I already have, then...what I DO have are a bunch of one gallon nursery (mostly) black containers, as well as cell-packs, 4" ers and the like, that I have saved up over a few years. As well I have saved up some small fruit containers that you get blueberries from the market. I also saved the plastic bags from the produce, as both of these items are not recycleable, so I thought to re-use them. This has been in the planning stage for quite some time. Then I happened upon the WS forum. though most are sowing in the pop-bottle routine, there are other that use small plastic cups and other things that are either inexpensive or they might have around the house, thoughit seems as they are spending a lot of time looking for bargains when they could use things that they already threw away. Oh, maybe they don't buy small berries...I did not think of that. Whoops! Well, I did not mean to insult anyone, honest! I just was thinking to use what ever was around the house or what I might save up in the course of the summer, and then I got to the point I could not throw them away...it just escalated. I think I will be able to throw them away now, though, as I have a large laundry basket full of them. Now, I buy the frozen berries for smoothies in the morning anyway. Am I making sense??

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7596563

You can use pots to winter sow in, but you'll need to put them in something like an upside down plastic tote. Just make lots of holes in the lid for drainage and then put the pots on top of that. Then, make holes in the bottom of the tote, turn it upside down, snap it to the lid and you're ready to go!

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7596995

I also save/use Strawberry containers they make great mini greenhouses.
crowellli
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7778077

A fellow DGer has started a seed company and has lots of interesting things to check out. Take a look and see if there's anything that strikes your fancy. I didn't see any popcorn seed, but I'm really wanting to try several heirloom tomato varieties. It's too late to start tomatoes from seed this year, but I'll be trying some next spring.

http://www.nortonfarms.com
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #7778118

Crowelli, just to be difficult, are you aware that you can also grow tomatoes in the fall, as well as spring? Especially being in 9a, you'll have plenty of time for a second crop, so, yes, you do need more seeds...

I hate to see a good TomatoAddiction go unfed, or unencouraged :)

And, fair's fair, cuz now "I" have to go look, as if 30+ varieties this spring aren;t enough :(

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7778282

I just planted some young heirloom maters today. They'll probably not do much before the dead of summer sets in, but they'll be in good shape for fall.
crowellli
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #7778412

Oh, now all I need is more room. I've got seed packets already that aren't getting planted and now I need more :)

What is the site address for Cherrygal somebody? I may find more stuff I have to have. I'm thinking my front yard has way too much grass. I've already eliminated all the grass in the back and have only raised beds. No mowing, but weeding that nutgrass is a real killer. I've run out of room to try all the veggies I want, so may have to incorporate some into the flower beds in front and side yards.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7778465

http://www.cherrygal.com/

DH is expanding the garden (digging more yard out) tomorrow so we can plant another row of okra. Then he's going to expand it a bit more on the south side so we can plant more tomatoes and bell peppers.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #7780515

crowelli, you can espallier pole beans against the side of your house =D! Cherrygal is dangerous. Everytime I go there just to past a little time on break at work I find something else I really really have to try!

stephanietx, your DH and my DH seem to have caught the same virus. Mine wants to crank up the rototiller and start more rows. Oh well, I may let him do it and then I can just start more tomatoes for fall. Yeah, yeah...that's the story. More seedlings...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America