AuthorContent

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7454942

Have you ever started a garden for a neighbor?
I had a studio on my front porch and looked across the street at a bare patch in front of a variegated Red Stick Dogwood.
I asked the neighbor(already a friend) if I could put transplants and divisions there from my overflowing back garden.
She agreed and became a gardener after that.
I got to look at some favorites without walking thou the house and into the back yard.
I dont have any pictures of her front walk garden .This is my front garden at the old house.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Click the image for an enlarged view.

iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
11:02 PM

Post #7456475

good idea for a thread. i offered but my neighbor's dh will mow an weed eat everything within an inch of its life

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #7457628

There is no DH factor here.
Her spot is at a corner where there was no lawn so it worked out.
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
4:08 AM

Post #7460202

Pretty garden area ge. I haven't really had neighbors for so long that I haven't had much chance to do anything like that (we live in the country), but I have shared many of my extra's with a "neighbor" who lives about 2 1/2 miles from us. Out here we call them neighbors, but I can't look over into her yard at all.

I think it's wonderful that you've shared like that. Sometimes there are people who would love to garden but have never learned how. Reaching out like that is what builds great community.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #7460650

Neighbor here is a wealth of gardening information.
I'm doing great since DG and neighbor fill in the gaps of my knowlege and misinformation.
I'm not completely ignorant but she helped my transition from sandy soil to glacial rocks and clay.She told me what was useless to wish for as far as certain plants and the raft of bunnies that destroy any vegetable garden I might want.She sounded so sad when she told me,I informed her of our "killer cat" Angel. Its been nearly 3 years and the bunnies are gone.
Lettuce anyone?
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7461959

Our nearest neighbor is one mile away, but at age 70 she has now become interested in some perennials. I sent a whole bunch home with her last year, and can't wait to see how they do.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7462066

Thats a generous gesture Polly, and so like you.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2010
12:40 AM

Post #7462727

Awwww, thank you! She's a lovely lady, and would do anything for anyone.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2010
1:52 AM

Post #7462931

I have offered several of the new neighbors plants. We do the 2 penny tour with a shovel and digging knife. I haven't done any of the work for them though just passed along some plants. There is a fairly nice mobile home park down the road about 1/2 mile I kept seeing a woman out along the roadside cleaning up a very overgrown area. I stopped and gave her my address and told her to come on over for some plants. That was a couple of years ago she came back the next year for some more. Every time I drive past I think how nice that area looks. She has made a lovely shade garden and I noticed last year that she is working on the lot next to hers.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #7463608

I love the way your gesteur has come back as a nice visual for you.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #7466246

I'm always giving plants to three of my neighbors. My one neighbor has a wonderful garden that is pretty much a foliage garden, all different colors of green and white. When things bloom, she cuts off the blooms. She's totally into form and texture of the foliage. Her garden is lovely. She also accept plants for her sisters who live in the city.

My other neighbors are a young couple who live directly across from me. They accept lots of plants and advice. He is very nice, he shovels my car out whenever it snows. I often find him in my garden practising with his newest camera lens. I leave the keys in my old pickup so he can borrow it anytime. He does a lot of nice things for me. He has 2 degrees from MIT. I am always giving him parts of my organic amendments to try. The chemistry of the soil and plants fascinates him. She is into the artistry.

My other neighbor is a very casual gardener who just likes some plants here and there. She sometimes stops over when I am out working and may take home a plant. I like her daughter and husband better than her. She's a little snooty. Her husband will sometimes snow blow my driveway and sidewalk. I buy him nice wines. I always take an interest in what the girl is playing. It's a shame, she is an only child with only all of us adults around her. She's not allowed out by herself and all of the kids in our development are on blocks other than ours. I think I know more of the kids than she does.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7466502

You have great neighbors.I had that sort of neighbors at the old house and got my lawn mowed. I would give him plants . His father was a gardener on a big estate here, he is also a good gardener and loves hostas.
I only had a small backyard so it didnt take 5 minutes to mow and it was on his rounds.The front was all retaining wall and flowers.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7466835

Ric and I have been doing my parents yard the last couple of years. They are in their 80's and can do the mowing themselves a bit at a time but really appreciate when we come. We had been going every week just to mow and I would weed and plant. Not that there is much weeding to do. My Dad likes to putter around outside so he does what he feels like and I pick up the rest. Every spring I take flats of flowers to plant for them and 2 years ago I put in a small flower garden near the bird bath. Dad wanted something that might attract Hummingbirds. I really enjoy gardening at their house. They have a lovely house in an older development with mature trees. The woman who owned the house before my parents (40 years ago) was a gardener and their yard has some very nice bones. A bit dated but very pretty none the less.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7466840

these are the stories I had hoped for.
Really nice HollyAnn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America