Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Caudiciforms: Cyphostemma juttae

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 12, Views: 153
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
2:58 AM

Post #7460018

This is a fairly common caudiciform plant, Cyphostemma juttae. It makes a nice fat base, and gets green leaves in summer, then goes dormant for winter.

I don't remember where I got this one, either, unfortunately. This one died shortly after we moved to TN. It started to grow a little arm out of the side of it, and I think I got excited and overwatered it. Had it in quite a lot of shade, too, which probably didn't help.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2010 6:42 AM

Thumbnail by lakesidecallas
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
3:04 AM

Post #7460035

Forgot to mention the great planting job in the last photo. I can never get my plants directly in the middle of the pot, but that plant was extra- bad!
I also forgot to mention that one of my plants did flower, except I missed it- I did see a little red berry on one of the plants, but when I went to pick it, it was gone- some animal or bird had gotten it, or it fell off somewhere.

I still have these two plants.

The plants have a very small root system, and the caudex part gets very heavy. They often topple out of their pots. You can see one is in 2 pots so it stays stabilized. This is an old photo, the plants are still in clay pots but I have to lean them against something so they don't tip over or fall out of their pots.

I've seen photos of these as small trees, I think I'll plant one of mine in a larger pot with better soil and see what it does.

Thumbnail by lakesidecallas

helenchild
Decatur, GA

January 17, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7469485

I have a little bitty one. It started to develop a rotten spot. I scraped all the rot out and let it dry out of soil. Surprise surprise it survived. You can see the scar. It hasn't grown much in the past year since I rescued it but maybe it would do better in a bigger pot and more regular water in the summer.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild

lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7470343

It has an interesting bonsai look to it now.

Yes, I think there must be a trick to growing these successfully.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2010
4:25 AM

Post #7475234

Im enchanted with picture #1s next door neighbor
euphorbia perhaps?
beautiful ;)
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #7475299

No,

Oops, mistook send for "browse for photo"

The plant to the left? It's a Bursera microphylla. I don't have a photo of it that I can find, will try to take one... it's very hard to get a photo of it because it's tall and skinny. A wonderful plant, one of our favorites. I let my husband enter it in the local flower show and it won second place in foliage plants.
It gets tiny little leaves.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2010 11:58 PM
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7481130

kool!!
I love the contests so many awesome plants show up.
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7482391

I wasn't expecting much for our local flower show, we live in a very small town!

But, someone brought in an enormous, I mean ENORMOUs! Stapelia gigantea that was in bloom, it won first prize. I was admiring it and trying to get some photos when the lady was taking it home- some pieces fell off and I thought she'd offer them to me, but no, sniff shiff!
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #7484572

I have tons of it
Would you like to trade?
PM me if so ;)
turtlewalker342
Bradenton, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #7485143

I pick-up Cyphostemma juttae with red leaves in Az last summer, but it didn't last long.

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342

lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #7486076

I would, Malestrom, but most of my plants are the only ones I have, so not much to trade! Hopefully I'll continue to build up my C&S collection and have more to trade soon.

Turtlewalker, that is an odd looking plant! It almost looks like it was grafted onto an Adenium!
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2010
12:43 AM

Post #7610106

Lakesidecallas,

Nice plant!

The flowers of C. juttae are inconspicuous and definitely not red. They are green. But the berries are red.

Regards,

Martin

This message was edited Mar 7, 2010 2:52 PM
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
3:42 AM

Post #7610167

Oh dear! What am I thinking of that had red flowers? I'm sorry for the misinformation!
Thanks Martin.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America