Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Winter Blues: Northern vs Southern winter

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Blues
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter BluesReplies: 0, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Zone8Gardener
San Antonio, TX

January 14, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #7460605

Some of you Northerners prefer the cold and the winter landscape and would hate southern heat. You are right that our heat is terrible, but I'd take it before taking freezing cold. We can hardly be outside from June to August when you are in your prime, but many of our plants go dormant then, anyway. It's just a swap of seasons. We have huge spring and fall growth seasons while northerners have spring and summer. However, I do miss delphiniums and peonies, which struggle here. Gardening is often a challenge. I grow mostly Texas native things but enjoy the challenge of trying a few things that aren't. Orchids do well here outside in semi shade, but when the temps drop to 50, I bring them inside, and they just continue to bloom as happy as can be.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Blues Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I can relate Dutchlady1 15 Jan 11, 2010 3:23 PM
thank you backspace 15 Jan 14, 2010 3:55 AM
Winter Blues grisaille 1 Feb 5, 2008 12:45 AM
Excellent! KyWoods 3 Jan 11, 2010 7:16 PM
Winter Dollykat 1 Jan 11, 2010 2:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America